live from marina!!!!!!! Musings from an O newbie - Azamara cheerleader.

cindilouwho

:). Yes. those items are in my carry-on in case my checked in luggage is lost/or delayed. I may take more than I need but have what I want including my knitting. :D

Maria -- never pack the knitting

I need a carry on just for my jewelry (as you know)

Cindi, just how big is your carry-on? I know all that stuff wouldn't fit in mine and my clothes size is 4 or 6! Or do you use those space bags? But even then, who do you get to lift the bag into the overhead. It must weigh a ton!?!?!?

Donna

IME, it is all about the fabric.

One of our most stress free vacations ever was two weeks in Italy - independent trip - and we each had a 22in rollaboard and backpack. We had plenty of clothing options and it was a pleasure to easily move in and out of trains, buses, etc.

With the right clothing/fabric, this is very doable. Our trip was in fall and we had items we could layer as needed.

Even when we do check a bag - as we were forced to do last year on Lufthansa - we go no larger than a 24inch bag and we pay attention to weight as we always travel by public transport at some point in our trip.

My 22inch weighs about 35 pounds when full. I use my backpack for technology and valuables.

I now try to always do carry on also. I just got a Travelpro Autopilot from Dillards which has 4 wheels and is light weight. I also just discovered a brand of clothes called Comfy USA. The crinkle stuff is so light weight, can be layered, or tied in a knot. It's so liberating to not be a slave to your luggage. And I don't think I've ever wished I had brought more clothes!

Hi,

I was just reading about Comfy USA and most of the items I saw are hand wash and lie flat to dry. Do not iron, dry clean, steam, etc. how quickly do they dry? Thanks in advance for your input.

Kathy

Cindi' date=' just how big is your carry-on? I know all that stuff wouldn't fit in mine and my clothes size is 4 or 6! Or do you use those space bags? But even then, who do you get to lift the bag into the overhead. It must weigh a ton!?!?!?

Donna[/quote']

It is a 22 inch standard carry on. I do use a space bag for my lingerie and my tops - roll them all up. The thing weighs about 35 - 40 pounds and is no problem for me to lift since I bench press over 100 pounds on a daily basis! I may look small - but my upper arm strength is awesome!!!!!!!!

And most of the time I am always offered help by some nice men. I bat my eyelashes demurely and say "Why thank you, young man" and sit myself down with a smile! Why if I was a "southern belle" I would be practically dripping with sweetness, awaiting my mint julep and fanning myself coquettishly!!!

When - in fact - I am probably capable of lifting HIM over my head and setting him in the overhead rack!!!! :eek: :D

I hold the bench press record for a woman over 50 at my former gym - 180 pounds!

If there is no one to assist - I simply heave that sucker (luggage) up and place it gently in it's resting spot.

Most of the time - I just stick it under the seat ahead of me and use it at a footrest during the flight.

I am lucky enough to travel either business or first so I can always find an easy solution to the lifting.

I can tell you that it feels great to always know my luggage will arrive with me and that I never have to wait a single moment after getting off the plane! I do check it when I get on the ship though. I have also been lucky enough on my past cruises, to have priority luggage delivery! So OFF the little suckers go .......

I hold the bench press record for a woman over 50 at my former gym - 180 pounds!

I can tell you that it feels great to always know my luggage will arrive with me and that I never have to wait a single moment after getting off the plane! ......

In which case you are also getting great exercise along with it.

Recently I have been to some airports (IAD comes to mind, but there are MANY others) where the distance from the gate to the arrival hall seems like 3 miles.

Pulling your carry on is a great "free" exercise as an added bonus :D

I can pack everything I need for 3 weeks into carryo and a backpack but what do you do with gels (i.e. toothpaste) and liquids (i.e. shampoo) that you are not allowed on the plane with?

If we can't make due with what the ship supplies, we stop at a drug store in the embarkation port.

Toothpaste is the real bugbear for us, as we use an odd brand.

listerine-essential-care-toothpaste.jpg?1291269889 once you get used to it, all of the others taste oddly sweet. :cool:

Hubby and I are also able to go away for 3 weeks with one carry-on size luggage each, and a personal bag each. We put our gels and liquids in 3oz or less travel containers, or buy mini sizes of toothpaste and other items; sometimes we need to bring 2-3 minis of the same item to get through the time away. We do get creative, such as putting mouthwash in a small spritz bottle. As we each are allowed a quart size baggie of mini gels and liquids, this allowance covers it. Occasionally, we have to pick up something along the way.

For something rare, like JimandStan's toothpaste, if I really couldn't handle a replacement brand for a few weeks, I'd transfer it into some refillable 3oz squeeze bottles with larger openings.

IME, it is all about the fabric.

I agree with caviargal, fabric selection is definitely important if you want to minimize bulk and weight in your carry-on (and thus carry around) bag.

I am a big fan of packing light. Of course, we do check bags about half the time - almost always that is a case of wine though :) How much to pack is a matter of personal preference, if you want to bring two 50-pound bags, go for it!. One key to packing light for me is attitude and being willing to wear things twice.

An exercise that was helpful to me: what were you wearing a week ago Thursday? Without looking, what are three other people that you have seen wearing today? What were they wearing yesterday? I can't remember most of this! And somehow that gives me the courage to mix & match just a few pieces (plus a scarf or hat) into plenty of outfits for a trip.

My BFF Lori always says - "check out your pictures of your trip ... in 80% of the pics you are wearing the same thing!"

Face it - we all love to wear what's comfortable, easy to wear clothes. REALITY CHECK - We are delusional when it comes to packing. We start the process and begin to think - "Well, I CAN'T go without THAT - I LOVE it" - but in the end we CAN and we should. The day I stopped thinking about what I can't live without - was the day I realized I can live without quite a bit.

Gone are the days of Mrs. Astor and her trunks for the adventure of traveling with the two butlers and maids and whatever else --- we have moved to the modern age.

WAKE UP PEOPLE - I say let's give in to the notion of travel for the love of travel and not be a slave to the suitcase. The airlines are charging "by the pound" and will continue to do so - RISE UP and JUST SAY NO to the bean counters at "best-of-luck" airlines! They KNOW who you are - you overpackers!!!!! Join OverPackers Anonymous now and get right with your credit cards!

Look for the "OPA" meeting close to you - coming soon!

Come on now - are the shampoos in the hotel and on the cruise line soooooo bad that a fortnight of use will reduce your hair to a shriveled mess or that it is sooooooo necessary to have just that right conditioner that makes your hair shine like the top of the Chrysler Building. for real, dude, does that freaking EVER happen????????

OMG - I spend like $10K per year on botox, fillers and spa stuff to make myself look the best I could possibly be and I STILL use the shampoo and conditioner on the SHIP! I am even forfeiting my usual yearly trip to get a FACELIFT in December and I will still use the local shamp and cond!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rally around you OverPackers you - and embrace the "lightness of being" spirit that inhabits you!

I will help!

:cool: ;) :D

I don't know how fast the Comfy Crinkle takes to dry. I just bought it. But it can't be long because it is paper thin. Thus the need for layering. I can let you know in a few weeks.

I'm always confused with sizes of carry on. When you say a 22", is that including the wheels or not?

I don't know how fast the Comfy Crinkle takes to dry. I just bought it. But it can't be long because it is paper thin. Thus the need for layering. I can let you know in a few weeks.

I'm always confused with sizes of carry on. When you say a 22", is that including the wheels or not?

Never actually measured it - I just buy what is stated as below 22" which is legal carryon size.

Lais, That's the same bag we use! Hubby and I each have one, and have found them perfect for most all of our trips, especially our land based ones that have us moving luggage around more frequently, boarding trains and the like.

Even guys can get away with one carry on. I do it all of the time.

This time I over packed a bit for the 12 day + 4 extra days in Venice.

Remember it is vacation... all fit into and international Tumi carry-on

2 Dress Pants

2 Shorts

2 dress shirts

1 Tie (did not use)

5 sports shirts

6 under pants

5 Under shirts

5 pairs of sock

1 pair dress shoes

2 belts

1 Electric shaver

1 Travel clock

1 Baseball hat

Electric tooth brush, tooth paste and sundries under 3.5 oz

My Meds (inclusive of first aid kit, Imodium, Antacids, Dramamine)

For business -- added the 13 inch PC w/charger and iPad mini and charger

Zipped up travel bag for my wife's shopping

Cruise documents

Lais, That's the same bag we use! Hubby and I each have one, and have found them perfect for most all of our trips, especially our land based ones that have us moving luggage around more frequently, boarding trains and the like.

Yes, isn't it awesome. And I like that it is small enough for overseas inter-country flights. It's nice and light and I can't wait to use mine again.

I have very little upper body strength, so my husband and I work together to get the carry on in the overhead compartment. The carry on is light weight, but not so easy when it's full. I also take a small duffle that fits over the handle and put my purse in there.

Even guys can get away with one carry on. I do it all of the time.

This time I over packed a bit for the 12 day + 4 extra days in Venice.

Remember it is vacation... all fit into and international Tumi carry-on

2 Dress Pants

2 Shorts

2 dress shirts

1 Tie (did not use)

5 sports shirts

6 under pants

5 Under shirts

5 pairs of sock

1 pair dress shoes

2 belts

1 Electric shaver

1 Travel clock

1 Baseball hat

Electric tooth brush, tooth paste and sundries under 3.5 oz

My Meds (inclusive of first aid kit, Imodium, Antacids, Dramamine)

For business -- added the 13 inch PC w/charger and iPad mini and charger

Zipped up travel bag for my wife's shopping

Cruise documents

Utterly depressing. I obviously need a 12 step program. We leave for 21 trip Istanbul, Black Sea cruise and then Cappadoccia and I have 3 bags plus 2 empties for shopping. I do not now how you folks do it. My husband is not as bad as I am but we could never do carry ons. Maybe when the miles run out and we have luggage restrictions we will change our ways.

My BFF Lori always says - "check out your pictures of your trip ... in 80% of the pics you are wearing the same thing!"

Face it - we all love to wear what's comfortable, easy to wear clothes. REALITY CHECK - We are delusional when it comes to packing. We start the process and begin to think - "Well, I CAN'T go without THAT - I LOVE it" - but in the end we CAN and we should. The day I stopped thinking about what I can't live without - was the day I realized I can live without quite a bit.

Gone are the days of Mrs. Astor and her trunks for the adventure of traveling with the two butlers and maids and whatever else --- we have moved to the modern age.

WAKE UP PEOPLE - I say let's give in to the notion of travel for the love of travel and not be a slave to the suitcase. The airlines are charging "by the pound" and will continue to do so - RISE UP and JUST SAY NO to the bean counters at "best-of-luck" airlines! They KNOW who you are - you overpackers!!!!! Join OverPackers Anonymous now and get right with your credit cards!

Look for the "OPA" meeting close to you - coming soon!

Come on now - are the shampoos in the hotel and on the cruise line soooooo bad that a fortnight of use will reduce your hair to a shriveled mess or that it is sooooooo necessary to have just that right conditioner that makes your hair shine like the top of the Chrysler Building. for real, dude, does that freaking EVER happen????????

OMG - I spend like $10K per year on botox, fillers and spa stuff to make myself look the best I could possibly be and I STILL use the shampoo and conditioner on the SHIP! I am even forfeiting my usual yearly trip to get a FACELIFT in December and I will still use the local shamp and cond!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rally around you OverPackers you - and embrace the "lightness of being" spirit that inhabits you!

I will help!

:cool: ;) :D

Cindy. you look GREAT. Congratulations on your diet. :)

Laraine,

I'm with you ... and we really don't carry that much and don't travel for that long. (DH is fussy about more than 2 week trips these days but usually we are gone for 3.)

I look at what people put in their carry-ons and try to tell myself that I could do that. But the truth is I can't.

I have a 28" suitcase which is pretty much filled when we take a trip. DH has a 26" suitcase.

Shoes is often the problem...

I'd like to try packing a carry-on to see how I could manage, but then I'd have to buy the carry-on ... which ain't gonna happen.

We leave in November for BCN-Rio which means cool weather to hot, and that makes an additional problem ...

At least I don't have the shopping problem you mentioned ...

Mura

Laraine,

I'm with you ... and we really don't carry that much and don't travel for that long. (DH is fussy about more than 2 week trips these days but usually we are gone for 3.)

I look at what people put in their carry-ons and try to tell myself that I could do that. But the truth is I can't.

I have a 28" suitcase which is pretty much filled when we take a trip. DH has a 26" suitcase.

Shoes is often the problem...

I'd like to try packing a carry-on to see how I could manage, but then I'd have to buy the carry-on ... which ain't gonna happen.

We leave in November for BCN-Rio which means cool weather to hot, and that makes an additional problem ...

At least I don't have the shopping problem you mentioned ...

Mura

I have a PACKING problem

I don't consider the SHOPPING a problem. LOL

I like the fact that on a cruise, we sleep in one place for the cruise. We are spending one night in Barcelona pre cruise, 3 in Mykonos and one in Athens post cruise. We are using the standard size luggage. I know I will bring too much but hopeful it won't hinder our movement.

I have a PACKING problem

I don't consider the SHOPPING a problem. LOL

Now that was funny!

I think it's a personal preference. For me, I don't like to be burdened down with too much stuff, so enjoy packing as light as possible, but I understand the other side of the coin too. I take my Mom on a trip once a year, and she is the Queen of over packing - goodness, that lady can bring a lot of stuff, and buy even more! I used to have the thought process of "I did not pack light so that I could help you haul your stuff across the globe! I did not pack light so that I could put your extra purchases in my bag and get them home for you!" I always told her, "You bring it, you sling it." Somewhere over time I realized that bringing so many things provides a certain comfort for her, it's what she needs to make her trip pleasant, the same as someone else may need music, or the way I need a cocktail.

At this point in her life, as she is advanced in years and has Parkinson's, I'm happy she is still up for my travel plans no matter how much stuff she wants to bring along. In January she allowed me to drag her across India so that I could see the funeral pyres at Varanasi, when I'm sure all she really wanted to do was sit by a beach somewhere.

Now that was funny!

I think it's a personal preference. For me, I don't like to be burdened down with too much stuff, so enjoy packing as light as possible, but I understand the other side of the coin too. I take my Mom on a trip once a year, and she is the Queen of over packing - goodness, that lady can bring a lot of stuff, and buy even more! I used to have the thought process of "I did not pack light so that I could help you haul your stuff across the globe! I did not pack light so that I could put your extra purchases in my bag and get them home for you!" I always told her, "You bring it, you sling it." Somewhere over time I realized that bringing so many things provides a certain comfort for her, it's what she needs to make her trip pleasant, the same as someone else may need music, or the way I need a cocktail.

At this point in her life, as she is advanced in years and has Parkinson's, I'm happy she is still up for my travel plans no matter how much stuff she wants to bring along. In January she allowed me to drag her across India so that I could see the funeral pyres at Varanasi, when I'm sure all she really wanted to do was sit by a beach somewhere.

Your mother and I have a genetic disorder

Apparently it's a recessive gene and you did not inherit it. LOL

My mother was an Olympic shopper. I understand where my problem comes from and I don't try to fight it. In fact, when I go on a shopping spree I know my mother is watching and is very proud of me.

Archived