live from marina!!!!!!! Musings from an O newbie - Azamara cheerleader.

cindilouwho

I must be unusual, but I do not care whatsoever if a Senior Officer (I don't even what one is) or a Junior Officer greets me getting on or off the ship, in the elevator or whenever. Or if they are "mingling" with the passengers. Or get invited to dine with the Captain. Nor do I care who the CD is... I don't even know what they do!

We had a PH on our latest cruise, and we had a butler... I guess we "underutilized" him too. Our only request of the 10 days was for some fresh sliced limes for our Diet Cokes. And maybe we felt we should ask for him for something, he looked like he dying to do something for us.

That is how we generally live our lives, low-key, low demand, self sufficient, and not needy.

So for any fellow pax out there (if there are any) like us, you will find O just lovely.

I have sailed AZ previously, and recently O Riviera this past May.

Happy to read this post since I have had the same reaction reading through these posts. I have no interest or need in receiving "special" attention from any employee (any level) on the ship. Perhaps some of the problem with non-responsiveness occurs when you are on a cruise where too many people are looking for that attention.

Happy to read this post since I have had the same reaction reading through these posts. I have no interest or need in receiving "special" attention from any employee (any level) on the ship. Perhaps some of the problem with non-responsiveness occurs when you are on a cruise where too many people are looking for that attention.

I never interact with the officers either but I believe the posters are trying to describe a certain "feeling" of socialness and friendliness on AZ versus Oceania. It's like food critics when they give a restaurant review. They cover ambience, food etc. I have always felt that you can't "eat" the ambience and while others feel ambience makes all the difference in the world. I really don't think the posters were looking for attention anymore than any other passenger. They were just trying to convey the atmosphere on Oceania vs AZ.

We have only sailed with Oceania once on Marina and had an absolutely wonderful time. In so many of our conversations during that cruise with Oceania regulars the most common theme was that most of them "preferred" the smaller Oceania ships so it seems to me that the OP ought to sail one of Oceania's "R" class ships if she truly wants to make a relevant comparison between the two lines. We will be sailing on Regatta next year and hope to find out what we were missing but so far Marina was our very best cruise line experience ever!

I never interact with the officers either but I believe the posters are trying to describe a certain "feeling" of socialness and friendliness on AZ versus Oceania. It's like food critics when they give a restaurant review. They cover ambience, food etc. I have always felt that you can't "eat" the ambience and while others feel ambience makes all the difference in the world. I really don't think the posters were looking for attention anymore than any other passenger. They were just trying to convey the atmosphere on Oceania vs AZ.

Well said.

I like the "eating the ambience" analogy :)

Well said.

Yes - I agree as well. I did mention that the size of the ships was different and I tried to keep the comparison as Terrier stated. I do not believe that I was comparing apples to oranges. I worked very hard to take the comparison beyond that.

Well said.

PLus 1

That is exactly what Cindi was trying to convey -- the atmosphere -- Azamara cruisers seem to relish it.

Obviously some cruisers care more about this factor than others.

I tend to care less about the food than most O cruisers.

I am cruising on Azamara for the first time in less than a month. I am anxious to see for myself what all is fuss is about -- how much difference it makes in my cruise experience.

As I posted live from Nautica in May, we unexpectedly and for reasons we still do not understand, received an inordinate amount of attention from crew, officers and staff on that cruise for the entire 3 weeks. We were not in a top suite. It was O cruise number 5 for us (there were many cruises with 10+ cruises on board). It was almost as if they had done background checks on us (I know they did not) and could anticipate our every need and want. We laughed a lot about it. We certainly did not "need" the special attention to enjoy the cruise but I cannot deny it made us feel very special and enhanced the experience.

Maybe there is something to this.

I plan to report to all of you about my Azamara experience when I return in September.

OK, fair enough that, my apples and oranges comment was too simplistic, but I can tell you in my own experience that if my first voyage with Royal Caribbean was on an Oasis or Voyager class vessel I would have been hard pressed to judge what my experience would be on a Radiance class (our preferred vessel on that line) ship. Size and the number of passengers has a lot to do with the total feel of the voyage and I don't know how one can really make a proper comparison from one experience to the other.

On our last trip on the Rivera I really did not feel neglected. We developed a relationship with the Exective Chef, Hotel Director, Wine Steward and drink server where they would look for us and stop and talk during the voyage. All said good buy, have a safe trip home at the end of the voyage. They did not seek me out at the start however early on I started to talk to them. This made for a great voyage and lots of fun. I really could not ask for more from the crew. I have not sailed on Azamara nor will I as I do not like the R class ship so I can not experience the interaction there but I have to say the crew on Rivera were VERY frendly and made us feel special. Each line and each person is different.

No kidding .... maybe they don't want to post it . I spent hours on it ....

I also spent hours on my very unfavourable review of the Azamara cruise that I had taken, because I wanted to be very specific about it rather than just make vague generalised complaints, and it took ages for the review to go up.

It looks as if you and I are the opposing sides of the same coin; I'm sure it will turn up! :)

Thank you Cindi for a very fair and mostly positive review of your recent cruise on Marina. I must admit I was somewhat mystified and rather anxious (for our upcoming September cruise) after reading your initial reports as some of your observations were quite contrary to the wonderful experience we had on Marina in 2011.

I think it must be very difficult to make a favourable comparison when for you Azamara has been set as a very high personal benchmark.

I do hope that your comments about the "odour" ensure that something is done to rectify the problem.

We are very much looking forward to our Nordic Explorer" Cruise in September and "Tahitian Pearls" in April 2014. Maybe someday we will try Azamara if the itinerary is enticing!

Enjoy your future cruises!

Jennie (Mumofnine)

I also spent hours on my very unfavourable review of the Azamara cruise that I had taken, because I wanted to be very specific about it rather than just make vague generalised complaints, and it took ages for the review to go up.

It looks as if you and I are the opposing sides of the same coin; I'm sure it will turn up! :)

I dont think of folks as being opposite sides of coins on these boards. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, sometimes cruises go better and some go badly. If you travel often you are bound to encounter some bad experiences.

I did not dislike my marina cruise. I just thought that i would do a comparison of az and o since they seem to be competing for the same market.

My review of marina was free of comparisons and was just my observations. I did not sit down to ensure i detailed every single issue that went wrong. I had a wonderful time and would sail with O again.

I do not believe that one should waste one moment of our precious time above ground being miserable. I still have opinions even though i am having fun!!!

Pacheo18, I'm sure the kindness showed to you is because you are a friendly passenger that exudes the feeling of appreciating them. They work so hard to make our experience wonderful. They are happy to have passengers such as yourself. :)

I look around and watch so many ordering the staff to do this and to do that rather than politely asking if there is a need. O has such accommodating staff and I think they enjoy working for O (and for the passengers).

Pacheo18, I'm sure the kindness showed to you is because you are a friendly passenger that exudes the feeling of appreciating them. They work so hard to make our experience wonderful. They are happy to have passengers such as yourself. :)

I look around and watch so many ordering the staff to do this and to do that rather than politely asking if there is a need. O has such accommodating staff and I think they enjoy working for O (and for the passengers).

Sure -- that must have been it!

I agree though -- some folks treat the staff like servants. It is painful.

We do treat everyone well -- smile and say hello to everyone -- from GM to the folks who are cleaning the decks in the AM. They are all part of a team that makes our trip special.

Agree; working "with" the staff as opposed to "against" them will always make for a better experience. A smile and "thank you" or "please" goes a long way!!

I've been considering Oceania as a break from Crystal on which I've had 4 wonderful cruises. One thing that I've liked is that boarding is primarily on a first come-first aboard basis if the Online Priority boarding procedure has been followed. (Sparkling wine soon follows!)

I started reading this thread only today, and want to clarify a topic discussed earlier in the month--what determines check-in time. The discussion back then implied that those with higher-priced cabins got to board earlier; is that so?

Crystal has become more port-intensive as well as adopting "all inclusive" pricing that includes gratuities as well as alcoholic and specialty coffee drinks. Their daily charges for oceanview cabins is about the same as Oceania's, calculated in both cases before airfare.

Please help me understand the pluses and minuses of each line.

I've been considering Oceania as a break from Crystal on which I've had 4 wonderful cruises. One thing that I've liked is that boarding is primarily on a first come-first aboard basis if the Online Priority boarding procedure has been followed. (Sparkling wine soon follows!)

No free flowing wine sparkling or otherwise on Oceania

I started reading this thread only today, and want to clarify a topic discussed earlier in the month--what determines check-in time. The discussion back then implied that those with higher-priced cabins got to board earlier; is that so?

Yes suites get early embarkation

Crystal has become more port-intensive as well as adopting "all inclusive" pricing that includes gratuities as well as alcoholic and specialty coffee drinks. Their daily charges for oceanview cabins is about the same as Oceania's, calculated in both cases before airfare.

There is no extra charge for specialty coffees (alcohol free ones)

If you shop around some TA's will include gratuities or Oceania do have some special promotions where gratuities are included

Air is included in the price shown online & brochures but you will get a small deduction if you wish to do cruise only

Plusses for us is no formal wear required

YMMV

I dont think of folks as being opposite sides of coins on these boards. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, sometimes cruises go better and some go badly. If you travel often you are bound to encounter some bad experiences.

I did not dislike my marina cruise. I just thought that i would do a comparison of az and o since they seem to be competing for the same market.

My review of marina was free of comparisons and was just my observations. I did not sit down to ensure i detailed every single issue that went wrong. I had a wonderful time and would sail with O again.

I do not believe that one should waste one moment of our precious time above ground being miserable. I still have opinions even though i am having fun!!!

Incredibly well reasoned and fair review. Hope I can be equally fair when I review my first Azamara cruise -- we leave on 8/13. Looking forward to it.

It may be more beneficial to you if you start a new thread

There probably is one already comparing Crystal VS Oceania if you try the search feature

Great review and really pertinent to us since we just did our first "luxe-light" cruise with Azamara last December and enjoyed it quite a bit. This is our first time on O (Marina) and we were also wondering how we'd compare the two. Thanks!

Archived