live from marina!!!!!!! Musings from an O newbie - Azamara cheerleader.

cindilouwho

Cindi - one other thought

I wonder if your experience would have been different had you been on a R ship.

I won't go back on Marina or Riviera no matter how big the staterooms or how many restaurants there are. They are beautiful but, like many other O cruisers, I find those ships lack the intimacy of the R ships. They are more impersonal IMO. That's the very reason I am trying Azamara -- to have more R ship options.

Perhaps if you give O another try, consider Insignia, Regatta or Nautica.

It is a different experience and perhaps one more in keeping with your expectations.

Hi Cindi. I will be on the Marina in September and am curious what PH stateroom you had (as I'm worried about the sewage smell you mentioned). I'm on Deck 10, Port side, mid to forward area. Thanks for your info!

Cindi - one other thought

I wonder if your experience would have been different had you been on a R ship.

I won't go back on Marina or Riviera no matter how big the staterooms or how many restaurants there are. They are beautiful but, like many other O cruisers, I find those ships lack the intimacy of the R ships. They are more impersonal IMO. That's the very reason I am trying Azamara -- to have more R ship options.

Perhaps if you give O another try, consider Insignia, Regatta or Nautica.

It is a different experience and perhaps one more in keeping with your expectations.

I tend to agree with you Laraine. The R ships are more intimate. We will be going back to Regatta next June after being on the Marina three times and the Riviera twice. I am looking forward to a more intimate experience again.

I agree !!

if late boarders coming early gums up the works, and more importantly, they did not pay for early, wouldn't an early boarder coming later by an hour or two equally screw it up. Yet, it is hard to imagine O telling a double mega, ultra owner, super vista suite holder that they have to wait behind the Inside cabin guy who is in line at the appropriate time.

Hi Cindi. I will be on the Marina in September and am curious what PH stateroom you had (as I'm worried about the sewage smell you mentioned). I'm on Deck 10, Port side, mid to forward area. Thanks for your info!

I was sorry to read that CindiLouWho had experienced a problem with a bathroom sewage smell issue. It's a bit shocking esp as it persisted for days. FYI we never had any persistent foul odors in our PH on deck 10 starboard (just rear of the elevators) on our May/June Marina cruise this year.

We did smell garbage odors near the ventilation stack high at the rear of the ship, but we just assumed it was from an exhaust fan venting trash compactors somewhere down below.

Also like cindilouwho I noticed maintenance/stocking failures in the spa/sanctuary. Lights out for days in the shower, locker key given for a locker that was clearly used and not cleaned (wet robe inside along w/ trash), no paper towels at the toilet room sink, used tea/water glasses & napkins left near the tile loungers. Compared to the exemplary maintenance in the public restrooms across the rest of the ship, it was surprising.

PH 11041 - totally midship port side.

I tend to agree with you Laraine. The R ships are more intimate. We will be going back to Regatta next June after being on the Marina three times and the Riviera twice. I am looking forward to a more intimate experience again.

Veteran O cruisers seem to be divided into two camps -- R ship devotees and devotees of the newer ships. Glad there is something for everyone.

if late boarders coming early gums up the works, and more importantly, they did not pay for early, wouldn't an early boarder coming later by an hour or two equally screw it up. Yet, it is hard to imagine O telling a double mega, ultra owner, super vista suite holder that they have to wait behind the Inside cabin guy who is in line at the appropriate time.

There were quite a few open check in lines .... I think more than 15. Although there were plenty of staff - only a few were checking in the Suite guests and the others standing idle. I think they could have let everyone line up in their appropriate lines, check everyone in and decline early boarding to the people not paying for it. It just seemed to be tacky the way it was done.

We are on the Marina July 29 sailing also. We sailed the Regatta in 2008 and had a wonderful trip. 3 of the last 4 years (2010 on Uniworld River Beatrice) we have sailed on Crystal. The Crystal trips have been suberb, but thought we would try the larger Oceania ship (more similar in size to Symphony and Serenity) this time, after many great reviews.

The prior review is somewhat disconcerting and we can only hope the problems have been resolved...especially sewage odor!

Thanks for your review! Of course we will do our comparison of Crystal and Oceania when we return!

Thank you Cindi for your detailed review. I do hope that any issues are resolved by November on the Marina as we are booked for a b2b for 28 days on deck 12. As regards the comments that you should try the R ships, I do think that it is reasonable to expect that there not be any sewer stench on any ship!!! Even Princess has cold towels but every cruise line has unique features so no fault there. I can assure you that any lukewarm food will be returned :D

Thanks again for the review!!

We are on the Marina July 29 sailing also. We sailed the Regatta in 2008 and had a wonderful trip. 3 of the last 4 years (2010 on Uniworld River Beatrice) we have sailed on Crystal. The Crystal trips have been suberb, but thought we would try the larger Oceania ship (more similar in size to Symphony and Serenity) this time, after many great reviews.

The prior review is somewhat disconcerting and we can only hope the problems have been resolved...especially sewage odor!

Thanks for your review! Of course we will do our comparison of Crystal and Oceania when we return!

We are looking forward to you comparison review of Crystal and Oceania.

Thanks to all for the compliments ... I really tried to make my comparison balanced and from your comments so far, I have succeeded. :)

Cindi. You left out the most important review of your trip. Did you meet a nice Gentleman?:)

Like most, I prefer the R ships but sailing this November once again on the Marina and back on the Insignia next June. i suppose we could try another line, but I am satisfied with Oceania because I feel comfortable and always greeted by staff who recognize me from previous sailings. I tend to be one who does not expect anything more so I am seldom disappointed. We have all had issues with a stateroom at some point in time and like you when paying $1,000 a day for a PH you want to get what u paid for and nothing less.

Many Thanks for taking the time to enlighten us with your review.

We are looking forward to your comparison review of Crystal and Oceania.

We were on Marina just before Cindi, and we heard no complaints about a sewage odor nor did we ever smell anything foul.

All this is very interesting to me as I'm taking my first O trip in the fall, and I kind of feel like keeping my expectations in check is the right thing to do. I will miss the intimacy and friendliness of the Regent ships I think, and knowing some of the staff. I'll miss the champagne on boarding, although the hot/cold towels coming back to the ship have not been a feature for some time. I have heard that friendliness is one of the big deals on Azamara--I've not had the pleasure yet, although for me the benchmark for intimacy and friendliness is the Paul Gauguin.

But as far as being more comfortable on one of the R ships--surely the maintenance and food problems that Cindi experienced have little to do with the class of ship! I'm disappointed to hear about the spa deck--looking forward to that on a TA; and also disappointed to hear, once again, that the GDR can't seem to present the food hot.

All this is very interesting to me as I'm taking my first O trip in the fall, and I kind of feel like keeping my expectations in check is the right thing to do. I will miss the intimacy and friendliness of the Regent ships I think, and knowing some of the staff. I'll miss the champagne on boarding, although the hot/cold towels coming back to the ship have not been a feature for some time. I have heard that friendliness is one of the big deals on Azamara--I've not had the pleasure yet, although for me the benchmark for intimacy and friendliness is the Paul Gauguin.

But as far as being more comfortable on one of the R ships--surely the maintenance and food problems that Cindi experienced have little to do with the class of ship! I'm disappointed to hear about the spa deck--looking forward to that on a TA; and also disappointed to hear, once again, that the GDR can't seem to present the food hot.

Wendy

I am not sure Cindi's experience with its serious issues or even a review of a flawless O cruise will have any bearing on what you experience. In my experience, every O cruise is different. Great meals one cruise, but on the next, just good. Attentive and involved officers one cruise, not so on the next. Fabulous Cd one cruise, not the next - - I have never been on a bad O cruise but some have been better than others in certain respects. It is still my number 1 choice for a cruise (other than PG but I don't expect to be going back to FP any time soon). But I do not believe any cruise is flawless.

Just read CC reviews of folks who are on the identical cruise -- any cruise line -- 1 star (awful, food terrible), 5 stars (best cruise ever, great food). Baffling.

I, and others, will be anxiously waiting to hear your opinions after you take your first O cruise -- you could call it Musings from a Regent or PG Cheerleader -- LOL - or maybe TC already had that covered

You are smart to keep your expectations in check. I hope you will be pleasantly surprised.

Cindi, it was starboard..even numbers are port side..and I also agree with Larraine, you might find the R ships more to your liking..

Jancruz1

I do not think comparing the atmosphere on the larger O ships to Azamara makes any sense.

There are twice as many cruisers on the larger ship.

IMO the O class ships are not even comparable to the Oceania R ships!

That does not diminish at all the problems Cindi experienced with respect to food and cleanliness, but I think the choice of O or R ship seriously impacts the "feel" of the cruise.

Archived