live from marina!!!!!!! Musings from an O newbie - Azamara cheerleader.

cindilouwho

Great review and really pertinent to us since we just did our first "luxe-light" cruise with Azamara last December and enjoyed it quite a bit. This is our first time on O (Marina) and we were also wondering how we'd compare the two. Thanks!

Glad I could help. Funny - you were doing the same kind of itineraries that I have been doing - I did Rio to BA then the Baltic and now I just booked my FIRST river cruise!

I booked the October 8, 2014 sailing - Imperial Cities Vienna to Bucharest on Uniworld. Looks absolutely fabulous and the reviews are really consistent on CC! I think this will be fun.

ANYONE want to join me? Lots of room so far!!!! :D Laraine, Paul????

Promise it will be fun.

I booked the October 8, 2014 sailing - Imperial Cities Vienna to Bucharest on Uniworld. Looks absolutely fabulous and the reviews are really consistent on CC! I think this will be fun.

Promise it will be fun.

Sounds tempting but I have already spent too much of my life in that part of the world - time for new horizons :D

Enjoy, as I know you will!

Glad I could help. Funny - you were doing the same kind of itineraries that I have been doing - I did Rio to BA then the Baltic and now I just booked my FIRST river cruise!

Promise it will be fun.

If we were not fully booked for 2014 I would be tempted - I think we'd have a ball on a cruise together.

We are going to take a river cruise in 2015 and it will be Uniworld

We did an extended trip to Romania in 2008 (to include some time in the town where my grandmother was born) and spent a week in Bucharest and a week in the countryside. If you can get to Transylvania post cruise and do the Dracula stuff, it is amazing.

For 2015 we are going to do Capetown to Singapore on Nautica (the only cruise that has not even been announced with an active roll call LOL), a river cruise on Uniworld and maybe Viking China. My husband has no interest in China -- we could do it together and save the single supplement! LOL

Please stay in touch and let me know of your plans.

If we were not fully booked for 2014 I would be tempted - I think we'd have a ball on a cruise together.

We are going to take a river cruise in 2015 and it will be Uniworld

We did an extended trip to Romania in 2008 (to include some time in the town where my grandmother was born) and spent a week in Bucharest and a week in the countryside. If you can get to Transylvania post cruise and do the Dracula stuff, it is amazing.

For 2015 we are going to do Capetown to Singapore on Nautica (the only cruise that has not even been announced with an active roll call LOL), a river cruise on Uniworld and maybe Viking China. My husband has no interest in China -- we could do it together and save the single supplement! LOL

Please stay in touch and let me know of your plans.

Part of the reason for my choice of Bucharest is that I met a really lovely couple from Romania (Transylvania) when I was in Vienna. They were on my wine tour and we became fast friends....it was a total hoot! I promised I would come to visit them.

As much as I despise the single supplement - I don't share well with others!!! Ask my two ex-husbands and one ex-live in. I will only share a room with my cat. Miracle is my longest surviving significant other ....

Hmmmmm......what does that say about me? :rolleyes:

But I do travel well and have a great time with everyone as long as I can retreat to my "haven" to recharge at night.

At any rate ---- Everyone is welcome to join me on my next big adventure! It will be nice for me not to have to plan the excursions.

I was toying with the idea of booking Voyages to Antiquity - Black Sea 2014 - but I think a river cruise is in order!

I am off to Jersey Shore next month to relax, refresh and park my butt on the beach! Anyone in the neighbourhood?

Promise it will be fun.

I think you'd be so much fun to cruise with! We did our first, and so far only, river cruise with Uniworld from Vienna to Basel on the River Duchess. We would love to do the itinerary you are doing. It was great walking off the ship in to the small towns and the guides had audivoxs sets which made the tours more enjoyable.

The cabins are smaller, but the bathrooms nice. More than enough storage space. Food not as good as Oceania, but fine and wine and beer included with lunch and dinner, often local and usually good.

We had toured with Trafalgar once and they recognized that since it's the same company, so we got a free bag of laundry per person each week. It was great. If we weren't booked for the Galapagos. Machu Picchu and Mumbai to Capetown next year, would seriously consider this.

Enjoyed your musings and your review. Continued happy sailings.:)

I think you'd be so much fun to cruise with! We did our first, and so far only, river cruise with Uniworld from Vienna to Basel on the River Duchess. We would love to do the itinerary you are doing. It was great walking off the ship in to the small towns and the guides had audivoxs sets which made the tours more enjoyable.

The cabins are smaller, but the bathrooms nice. More than enough storage space. Food not as good as Oceania, but fine and wine and beer included with lunch and dinner, often local and usually good.

We had toured with Trafalgar once and they recognized that since it's the same company, so we got a free bag of laundry per person each week. It was great. If we weren't booked for the Galapagos. Machu Picchu and Mumbai to Capetown next year, would seriously consider this.

Enjoyed your musings and your review. Continued happy sailings.:)

Great to have some first hand experience to reinforce my decision!

I love food ---- but since I have lost all the excess weight I find that my focus has changed a bit. I prefer simple food, fresh is more important than fancy. Lots of good quality seasonal fruits and veggies and simple sauce free prep on meat and fish. One thing about the larger cruise lines is that the fish is usually not fresh. It's fresh frozen and I can taste the difference. When you grill a fresh piece of fish with good spices there is no comparison. This past cruise has really reinforced for me that the "trip" is the "thing". I want to focus on the ports and really understand the history and culture. Love a simple lunch in destination of whatever the locals eat. I also find that the food overseas is "cleaner" somehow. It's all non-GMO and very low pest/herbicide (if any). Many of the places I visited this trip are committed to organic cuisine.

Even though I ate well and drank much more than I do at home - I didn't gain any weight while I was away! I think that my new gluten/dairy free lifestyle had something to do with that.

I think that this trip will suit me just fine!

Does anyone have any experience as a single on a River cruise? I think I will start a thread on another area to ask!

I am off to Jersey Shore next month to relax, refresh and park my butt on the beach! Anyone in the neighbourhood?

I am from Toms River originally and visit often. It's seven miles inland from Seaside Heights, an area really devastated by Hurricane Sandy. Our NYC son just returned from a long weekend on LBI (Long Beach Island).

Where is your Jersey Shore destination?

Pam

• 2 weeks later...
I have been on other lines that had the same "class category" check-in. One was Cunard (the QE2), the other was NCL. Quite different lines!

But I'm surprised to hear there was confusion because we haven't encountered that on any of our O cruises. Maybe we were lucky! When we boarded in Athens for the Black Sea cruise last August on Regatta there was a delay but that was because the security guy who had to check our passports decided to take a 20 minute break and there was no replacement.

I HAVE seen people in lower categories board early. One couple I innocently led in with us ... We'd met them on the train the day before returning from Girona to Barcelona (where we boarded Regatta) and it just didn't occur to me that higher cabins boarded earlier than lower ones. No one stopped them so probably there was plenty of room up in Terrace for lunch at the time.

Mura

We were in balcony cabins on our two O cruises. We arrived early and went right on the ship. I didn't know that different cabin categories had designated boarding times.

Marion

We were in balcony cabins on our two O cruises. We arrived early and went right on the ship. I didn't know that different cabin categories had designated boarding times.

Marion

Differing categories do have designated boarding times, but the rules are sometimes relaxed at remote Ports where many passengers will be arriving at the Ship after a long day of travel.

Think Barcelona will allow early boarding for lower cabins? It will be a very full itinerary next spring and would like to get on, unpacked and settled.

Early boarding will not help getting you unpacked and settled as you cabin will probably not be ready until 2 and you luggage can arrive any time between 2 and 6 or sometimes even later!

I am from Toms River originally and visit often. It's seven miles inland from Seaside Heights, an area really devastated by Hurricane Sandy. Our NYC son just returned from a long weekend on LBI (Long Beach Island).

Where is your Jersey Shore destination?

Pam

surf City LBI.....

Since we travel with only a carry on and small backpack we never leave our luggage with the porters. It's easy to unpack early and we never have to wait for our luggage to be delivered.

Marion

Marion, I worship at your feet! How do you manage to do that, and for what length of travel do you manage it?

Marion, I worship at your feet! How do you manage to do that, and for what length of travel do you manage it?

I do it too. A good carryon - there are some great ones now that are spinners and are les than 6 pounds. I got a Samsonite one. Be sure to get one with pockets - soft sided, not hard.

I recently picked up a really cool little Briggs and Riley that snaps on to my Samsonite. I didn't love the backpack - I kept hitting people with it. :o

I have gone for almost a month with it.

Key is pack for 1 week and do laundry. You have to be VERY circumspect about the liquids though if you intend to carry on. I have whittled my potions way down and will buy some stuff locally.

I now try to always do carry on also. I just got a Travelpro Autopilot from Dillards which has 4 wheels and is light weight. I also just discovered a brand of clothes called Comfy USA. The crinkle stuff is so light weight, can be layered, or tied in a knot. It's so liberating to not be a slave to your luggage. And I don't think I've ever wished I had brought more clothes!

I now try to always do carry on also. I just got a Travelpro Autopilot from Dillards which has 4 wheels and is light weight. I also just discovered a brand of clothes called Comfy USA. The crinkle stuff is so light weight, can be layered, or tied in a knot. It's so liberating to not be a slave to your luggage. And I don't think I've ever wished I had brought more clothes!

Where did you find the clothing line? I just went on-line to their site and evidently in order to see anything except their home page, you have to be a licensed retailer or wholesaler!

Let us know, please, since I have never seen this line in our local stores - So. Fla.

Donna

I am in awe of women who can travel with just a carry on for a cruise -- or anything longer than a weekend.

For our upcoming trip to Turkey and a black sea cruise we have THREE ROLLING DUFFELS and 2 more empty ones PLUS a fold up tote for purchases (I confess to being a shopaholic and I actually have befriended an EBay seller in Istanbul who is taking me to all the wholesale spots and manufacturers). LOL Fortunately, we will be in Bus Class (using miles) and can have 6 bags between us.

I am the poster child for overpacking.

Where did you find the clothing line? I just went on-line to their site and evidently in order to see anything except their home page' date=' you have to be a licensed retailer or wholesaler!

Let us know, please, since I have never seen this line in our local stores - So. Fla.

Donna[/quote']

FYI - available on line everywhere

eg

http://www.tcboutique.com/comfy-usa-clothing.aspx?gclid=COOgndPl5rgCFa1FMgodIAsAXg

On my recent trip to the Baltic and Vienna/Budapest extension --- 3 weeks ----

I had a carry on. In it I packed the following:

1 long black dress

2 short black cocktail dresses easily dressed up or down

7 pairs of pants

2 pairs of shorts

14 shirts from casual to dressy

1 bathing suit

scarf

sweater

lululemon capri and long pants and workout top and jacket

3 bras and 5 undies

2 pairs of socks

1 flowered blazer

6 pairs of shoes - sandals and 1 pair of runners

straightening iron, potions, makeup, brush, playbook, and some tea

cross body bag and evening purse stuffed with costume jewelry

shawl

got it all into the carry on and the Briggs and Riley small snap on carryon.

no issues ..... business class Toronto to Newark AC - First Class LH EWR to FRA - business class FRA to VIE, VIE to ARN, CPH to YYZ.

there were things that I didn't wear.

On my recent trip to the Baltic and Vienna/Budapest extension --- 3 weeks ----

I had a carry on. In it I packed the following:

1 long black dress

2 short black cocktail dresses easily dressed up or down

7 pairs of pants

2 pairs of shorts

14 shirts from casual to dressy

1 bathing suit

scarf

sweater

lululemon capri and long pants and workout top and jacket

3 bras and 5 undies

2 pairs of socks

1 flowered blazer

6 pairs of shoes - sandals and 1 pair of runners

straightening iron, potions, makeup, brush, playbook, and some tea

cross body bag and evening purse stuffed with costume jewelry

shawl

got it all into the carry on and the Briggs and Riley small snap on carryon.

no issues ..... business class Toronto to Newark AC - First Class LH EWR to FRA - business class FRA to VIE, VIE to ARN, CPH to YYZ.

there were things that I didn't wear.

You are my hero

Although I am amazed all of that fits in a bag that goes in the overhead bin.

You are my hero

Although I am amazed all of that fits in a bag that goes in the overhead bin.

:). Yes. those items are in my carry-on in case my checked in luggage is lost/or delayed. I may take more than I need but have what I want including my knitting. :D

Last January my husband and I were on a cruise from Sydney to Bali, and since there were formal nights, we decided to check luggage. And as long as you're checking, you might as well fill the luggage up.

We were slaves to our luggage. I tried to think of what to pack in the carry on for Sydney, then when packing for Bali, tried to think what I would only need in Bali. Didn't work. I was rummaging through all the suitcases..all the time. And PS, Virgin Australia ruined my checked bag. It was literally ducktaped with clothes hanging out as it came out. Everyone gasped! So after spending way too much time in the airport dealing with it, and way too much time waiting for more hangers on the ship, and way too much time looking for stuff, we decided never again.

Also, I found these Comfy clothes on Amazon, and Faubush, I think.

Archived