Journey vs quest

DCguys

If the ship alone were the determining factor, which would you choose? Don't worry about itinerary, price, dates... We'd be in an outside state room.

We've only sailed Celebrity S class in the past. Can anyone offer a comparison?

We enjoy both ships but one difference we noticed is on Windows open deck. We always enjoy our breakfast at 7 am on the open deck. The last time we were on Quest they wouldn't open the back deck until later because of disturbance to rooms beneath so we always had to sit inside. Journey doesn't seem to have that problem though and we had our early breakfast sitting outside at 7 am every morning whilst arriving at each lovely port in the sunshine! Great.

Having been on both it wouldn't matter to me. Whilst the Captain and senior officers seem to have "their" ship and the rest of the crew tend to stick with one ship there are always a few familiar faces that switch. From a personal perspective I prefer Russ as CD who is on Quest, Captain Johannes who is on Journey and Phillip and Ryszard who are both on Quest, but it really isn't a big deal. I hadn't been on Journey for a couple of years and thought the crew were great. I missed Marnelli (sp), security officer on Quest though and her colleague whose name escapes me. A really nice name like Twinkle or something. They are just great.

Phil

We enjoy both ships but one difference we noticed is on Windows open deck. We always enjoy our breakfast at 7 am on the open deck. The last time we were on Quest they wouldn't open the back deck until later because of disturbance to rooms beneath so we always had to sit inside. Journey doesn't seem to have that problem though and we had our early breakfast sitting outside at 7 am every morning whilst arriving at each lovely port in the sunshine! Great.

I think it depends upon the Hotel Director and more to the point the occupants of those suites on deck 8 below the aft area and if they've complained on that cruise or previous. The ships are just the same.

Phil

I agree with Macliz - we also have found it annoying that on the Quest the Windows outer deck does not open until 7.30 whilst on the Journey we have never experienced the problem and often sit out in the sunshine having breakfast before 7.00,

Also the Journey did not have the 'Energizer' at breakfast until we requested it and the restaurant manager was kind enough to email the Quest for the recipe!

Apart from these little foibles, there is very little to differ between them, indeed, you will often find former Quest staff and Officers on the Journey and vice versa.

They are both excellent ships and we are looking forward to our next cruise in August.:):)

I agree that the ships are the same and we would choose either in a heartbeat over any other ships. We have done one cruise on Journey and two on Quest and have another two booked for Quest. :)

I think Quest is the best because we love Russ, Richard, Arvin, Helen and of course the Azamazing Captain Carl. There is just something extra in the atmosphere for us on Quest but we couldn't really tell you what it is. We love Journey too but Quest has it all.

Can't wait for August to come when we are back.

Having been on both it wouldn't matter to me. Whilst the Captain and senior officers seem to have "their" ship and the rest of the crew tend to stick with one ship there are always a few familiar faces that switch. From a personal perspective I prefer Russ as CD who is on Quest, Captain Johannes who is on Journey and Phillip and Ryszard who are both on Quest, but it really isn't a big deal. I hadn't been on Journey for a couple of years and thought the crew were great. I missed Marnelli (sp), security officer on Quest though and her colleague whose name escapes me. A really nice name like Twinkle or something. They are just great.

Phil

Agree totally about Russ, and I'm glad to see Marnelli receive a positive mention. She has been onboard for all of our cruises, and always seems genuinely pleased to welcome us back upon initial embarkation and after each day's activities.

She represents the best of the Azamara experience.

I agree with Macliz - we also have found it annoying that on the Quest the Windows outer deck does not open until 7.30 whilst on the Journey we have never experienced the problem and often sit out in the sunshine having breakfast before 7.00,

I guess if you are in one of those CWs or VXs on deck 8 then that extra half an hour makes all the difference;)

Phil

If the ship alone were the determining factor, which would you choose? Don't worry about itinerary, price, dates... We'd be in an outside state room.

We've only sailed Celebrity S class in the past. Can anyone offer a comparison?

You know what my answer is going to be, don't you?? Quest. December 20, 2013. Rob and and I would adore the opportunity to sail once more with you! could anyone (hint hint) be persuaded to offer another lecture series?

Just to fill everyone in, we were on the Equinox Med cruise with the DCguys and one of the pair gave enrichment lectures on contemporary art that won over even the die-hard traditionalists like Rob and me.

I do love Russ and Johanness. But when you are awoken rudely by joggers on the Quest several times before 8 am it is not fun. Philip had to post several times about that.

Also i would kill peopel for moving chairs before 8 or alter while i was sleeping to eat breakfast. you want breakfast outside there is a lovely balcony that comes with your cabin.

I would choose Quest every time if possible (although the Journey is a pretty good second option). I can't put my finger on why, but the Quest just feels more like an old, favourite slipper - it just fits very nicely. Philip, Richard and Nikki are just great and Carl Smith is amazing.

I do love Russ and Johanness. But when you are awoken rudely by joggers on the Quest several times before 8 am it is not fun. Philip had to post several times about that.

Also i would kill peopel for moving chairs before 8 or alter while i was sleeping to eat breakfast. you want breakfast outside there is a lovely balcony that comes with your cabin.

Not everyone has the luxury of a balcony!

Most people are on these ships for the destinations so people should be prepared for movement quite early, though joggers should be confined to running on the gym machines until around 8. Not fair to limit them after then

Phil

Though the staff on security on Journey are lovely and welcoming, we always miss Marinella & Jolly on Quest.

Not everyone has the luxury of a balcony!

Most people are on these ships for the destinations so people should be prepared for movement quite early, though joggers should be confined to running on the gym machines until around 8. Not fair to limit them after then

I would be happy to it be 8 am even if i am in bed.. but 630 is realy bad. plus i had a runneer at around 2 am.. took two try's but he was finally caught. i do not need to be awake at 2 am unless i am out dancing which does not happen on this ship.

Yes we do have lovely balconies, but the normal stateroom balconies are only half in size compared to those of the suites - and quite tight with the new tables in place. As for eating breakfast on them - it's not very convenient for the buffet choice! Also, the atmosphere on the outside Windows deck is lovely early in the morning.

However, I do respect your issue concerning the joggers early in the morning:):)

Back to the original Question, Quest or Journey? - in my case either ship as they are so similar, but my preferred crew would be Capt Carl, Heike and Tony Markey with DJ Alex. although Capt Johannes comes a close second!:)

Back to the original Question, Quest or Journey? - in my case either ship as they are so similar, but my preferred crew would be Capt Carl, Heike and Tony Markey with DJ Alex. although Capt Johannes comes a close second!:)

this is great never seen Carl with Heike but Joannes with Heike. i like Russ, Eric and Tony in that order.

i am sorry but i d onot agree on the DJ. seems i have great butlers on the Quest but i prefer everyone else on Journey.

PS normal cabins balconies are even smaller????

The only thing I love about S class ships is the cabin size and balcony size.

You know what my answer is going to be, don't you?? Quest. December 20, 2013. Rob and and I would adore the opportunity to sail once more with you! could anyone (hint hint) be persuaded to offer another lecture series?

Just to fill everyone in, we were on the Equinox Med cruise with the DCguys and one of the pair gave enrichment lectures on contemporary art that won over even the die-hard traditionalists like Rob and me.

Hi Deirdre!

I'm considering applying to be an enrichment speaker on Azamara. They've asked me to choose some sailings in 2013 or 2014 I'd be interested in so we're doing some research.

It seems the two ships are very similar. Has one been dry docked more recently? After sailing Celebrity S class will we disappointed with these ships re. The style, newness...?

I'm a bit confused about a comment regarding hearing early morning joggers on the Quest. Deck plans show the jogging deck on deck 10 and it appears as though the pool deck and not staterooms is below on deck 9.

Does this mean that you can hear the joggers 2 decks below on deck 8?

I'm a bit confused about a comment regarding hearing early morning joggers on the Quest. Deck plans show the jogging deck on deck 10 and it appears as though the pool deck and not staterooms is below on deck 9.

Does this mean that you can hear the joggers 2 decks below on deck 8?

YES!! 4 people woke me 4 times.. ships are older and men who run vibrate into my cabin. others might sleep thru it but I do not.. like sleeping thru or not a thunder storm.

It seems the two ships are very similar. Has one been dry docked more recently? After sailing Celebrity S class will we disappointed with these ships re. The style, newness...?

Hi DCGuys,

Both Journey and Quest were both Drydocked within the past 6-10 months, so they should be very similar. Regarding your question of comparing Azamara to the Celebrity S-Class, it's difficult to compare the 2 classes of ships, as Azamara's ships are 30,000 tons, and Celebrity's S-Class are about 120,000 tons. It's a completely different experience.

As I've sailed on both classes of ships, if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer.

There is nothing like having Minelli, Gema and Ellen saying "welcome home" every time we take a cruise on Quest. They are the best security personnel anywhere !!! We are also partial to Russ, Capt. Carl, Philip, Richard, Helen, and Nathilia, and our favorite servers, Milena, Rameses, and Predrag and Aileen. What an incredible crew !!!!!

There is nothing like having Minelli, Gema and Ellen saying "welcome home" every time we take a cruise on Quest. They are the best security personnel anywhere !!! We are also partial to Russ, Capt. Carl, Philip, Richard, Helen, and Nathilia, and our favorite servers, Milena, Rameses, and Predrag and Aileen. What an incredible crew !!!!!

Pedrag is great! He was in Aqualina the last time I was on Quest, but had been in the MDR before. He offered and went to get me room service and brought it to the Sunset Bar so that I could eat and take in the Hong Kong skyline. Something I will always remember.

Phil

Archived