WARNING: P&O cost cutting.

Nixi

We had 1.5 days in Quebec, but I'm sure we had a full day in Portland. It was advertised as 2 full days and I was going to see family in Ottawa. Couldn't do it because of the early departure the following day. Was very disappointed.

We had 1.5 days in Quebec, but I'm sure we had a full day in Portland. It was advertised as 2 full days and I was going to see family in Ottawa. Couldn't do it because of the early departure the following day. Was very disappointed.

This is the latest update from P&O:

** PLEASE REVIEW - PORT TIME CHANGE **

Following a review of the itinerary for your cruise, it has become necessary for us to adjust the following port timing: Aurora's departures from Portland, Halifax and Quebec City will now be in the afternoon. Should any of your shore excursions be affected by the change you will be notified separately. Thank you for your attention to this notification. We look forward to welcoming you on board Aurora.

We don't get into Quebec until the afternoon and leave afternoon the next day. No full day tours of Quebec are possible! Apart from Boston, every port departure is afternoon.

But WHY are they doing these things? It smacks of desperation to try and save money, but they are compounding the situation. Seasoned cruisers are not going to put up with this. I think they have serious problems. Mark my words!!!

This is the latest update from P&O:

** PLEASE REVIEW - PORT TIME CHANGE **

Following a review of the itinerary for your cruise, it has become necessary for us to adjust the following port timing: Aurora's departures from Portland, Halifax and Quebec City will now be in the afternoon. Should any of your shore excursions be affected by the change you will be notified separately. Thank you for your attention to this notification. We look forward to welcoming you on board Aurora.

We don't get into Quebec until the afternoon and leave afternoon the next day. No full day tours of Quebec are possible! Apart from Boston, every port departure is afternoon.

But WHY are they doing these things? It smacks of desperation to try and save money, but they are compounding the situation. Seasoned cruisers are not going to put up with this. I think they have serious problems. Mark my words!!!

Along with Cunard this startd 2 years ago. We are missing 3 evening departures a time when the vast majority will be bach on board having dinner anyway.

Gan canny

Dai

Along with Cunard this startd 2 years ago. We are missing 3 evening departures a time when the vast majority will be bach on board having dinner anyway.

Gan canny

Dai

I'm not being funny Dai, but we can dress up in our 'monkey suits' anyday and eat till our hearts content. But i suspect most people book a trip to the USA and Canada because they want to see the b*****g places!!!!

New York City (Manhattan or Brooklyn), New York

Thursday, September 26

7:00 PM2Newport, Rhode Island

Friday, September 27

7:00 AM4:00 PM3Boston, Massachusetts

Saturday, September 28

10:00 AM7:00 PM4Bar Harbor, Maine

Sunday, September 29

7:00 AM6:00 PM5Saint John, New Brunswick (for the Bay of Fundy)

Monday, September 30

7:00 AM4:00 PM6Halifax, Nova Scotia

Tuesday, October 1

9:00 AM6:00 PM7Sydney, Nova Scotia

Wednesday, October 2

9:00 AM6:00 PM8Charlottetown, Canada

Thursday, October 3

8:00 AM5:00 PM9At Sea

Friday, October 4

10Quebec City, Quebec

Saturday, October 5

7:00 AMOvernight Stay11Quebec City, Quebec

Sunday, October 6

7:00 AM

Above is the itinerary for the Emerald Princess, departure times appear to be more reasonable to me.

Checking the port timings shows that P&O's problem lies in the large distances they cruise. Generally it is cruising from southampton that causes the problem.

Checking the caribbean itineries show that for the most part they arrive at 8am and leave at 6pm.

It will be interesting to see the timings for Venturas fly cruises next year.

We've always defended P&O, and although we've always enjoyed our cruises with them, we like to use other lines too.

However, we're upset as we've just had a similar message to PTB except in our case we're on Azura and the ports concerned are Lisbon and Athens Both our itinerary (Black Sea) and the USA / Canada one are well established and there can be no need for this late change - except cost-cutting. Really disappointed :(. Sure we'll still enjoy the cruise but it is definitely this sort of thing that will make us think twice about booking a cruise with P&O in the future.

New York City (Manhattan or Brooklyn), New York

Thursday, September 26

7:00 PM2Newport, Rhode Island

Friday, September 27

7:00 AM4:00 PM3Boston, Massachusetts

Saturday, September 28

10:00 AM7:00 PM4Bar Harbor, Maine

Sunday, September 29

7:00 AM6:00 PM5Saint John, New Brunswick (for the Bay of Fundy)

Monday, September 30

7:00 AM4:00 PM6Halifax, Nova Scotia

Tuesday, October 1

9:00 AM6:00 PM7Sydney, Nova Scotia

Wednesday, October 2

9:00 AM6:00 PM8Charlottetown, Canada

Thursday, October 3

8:00 AM5:00 PM9At Sea

Friday, October 4

10Quebec City, Quebec

Saturday, October 5

7:00 AMOvernight Stay11Quebec City, Quebec

Sunday, October 6

7:00 AM

Above is the itinerary for the Emerald Princess, departure times appear to be more reasonable to me.

Well why are you on Aurora?

Dai

I'm not being funny Dai, but we can dress up in our 'monkey suits' anyday and eat till our hearts content. But i suspect most people book a trip to the USA and Canada because they want to see the b*****g places!!!!

They booked the "trip" because it is a cruise. Ie on a ship. If they wanted to be on land they would have gone by bus.

It is a cruise. The clue is in the last sentence.

In my experience of evening port stays everyone bar a handful are on board by late afternoon, very few venture out after that. Most are back so they can have their meal. That is the way it is.

You may be different, but you keep telling us you have vast experience with P&O, you should know that.

With your very negative approach to this cruise and P&O in general you are not going to enjoy yourself.

I on the other hand will have a great time.

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

Checking the port timings shows that P&O's problem lies in the large distances they cruise. Generally it is cruising from southampton that causes the problem.

Checking the caribbean itineries show that for the most part they arrive at 8am and leave at 6pm.

It will be interesting to see the timings for Venturas fly cruises next year.

Dave you are quite correct. Because the mani business of P&O is sailing from Southampton and the desire to give a varied range of cruises they tend to go further in a voyage than other lines which stay in the Med, for example. As a result they tend to steam greater distances than other cruise lines and so have a greater oil bill. Carnival and all other lines have had to cut back recently because of the price of oil and rather than put the price up and become uncompetitive. Now this has impacted on P&O and Cunard more than other lines because of the nature of their business as I have described. So to save oil they have slowed down. They cruise at a slower speed resulting in shorter port stays.

For our cruise they have taken away 3 evenings in port. As I have said in other posts tis has a minimum effect on most cruisers as they tend to be back on board by late afternoon anyway.

As bitznbobs has said if they did not do this then the price would have to go up. They they would be less competitive.

Gan Canny

Dai

They booked the "trip" because it is a cruise. Ie on a ship. If they wanted to be on land they would have gone by bus.

It is a cruise. The clue is in the last sentence.

In my experience of evening port stays everyone bar a handful are on board by late afternoon, very few venture out after that. Most are back so they can have their meal. That is the way it is.

You may be different, but you keep telling us you have vast experience with P&O, you should know that.

With your very negative approach to this cruise and P&O in general you are not going to enjoy yourself.

I on the other hand will have a great time.

Gan Canny

Dai

Of course there are different perspectives amongst those who choose to cruise as to what that represents to them and why they choose to travel in this way.

We like port intensive cruises with the most time possible in port. Even overnight stops are a bonus in the likes of Venice, Istanbul and Havana for us when we can experience the atmosphere in the evening of some interesting ports of call - even have a meal off the ship. We like to experience as much as possible of the places we visit.

Cruising to get there is our choice because of the opportunity to see more destinations, most travelling is done at night, the generally better standard of entertainment on cruise ships than in hotels and the 'only unpack once' argument. A bus hardly fills the same bill.

So we too take note of the length of time in port and such considerations may well affect our choice of cruise/cruise line. Each to their own but I can understand why some people don't appreciate short port stops especially if they are changed after booking.

Of course there are different perspectives amongst those who choose to cruise as to what that represents to them and why they choose to travel in this way.

We like port intensive cruises with the most time possible in port. Even overnight stops are a bonus in the likes of Venice, Istanbul and Havana for us when we can experience the atmosphere in the evening of some interesting ports of call - even have a meal off the ship. We like to experience as much as possible of the places we visit.

Cruising to get there is our choice because of the opportunity to see more destinations, most travelling is done at night, the generally better standard of entertainment on cruise ships than in hotels and the 'only unpack once' argument. A bus hardly fills the same bill.

So we too take note of the length of time in port and such considerations may well affect our choice of cruise/cruise line. Each to their own but I can understand why some people don't appreciate short port stops especially if they are changed after booking.

I fully agree with you, so why would someone, experienced in cruising choose P&O to cruise with. They do not do long port stays and they do not do port intensive cruises. My next cruise, the one in question has 14 sea days. Perfect for me. That's why I picked it. If I wanted a long time in port I would go with another line who would provide this.

Gan Canny

Dai

I fully agree with you, so why would someone, experienced in cruising choose P&O to cruise with. They do not do long port stays and they do not do port intensive cruises. My next cruise, the one in question has 14 sea days. Perfect for me. That's why I picked it. If I wanted a long time in port I would go with another line who would provide this.

Gan Canny

Dai

The crux of the matter, in anything, is that you expect to receive what you have been sold. When they take your money then start moving the goalposts, that is wrong. IMHO P&O are now marketing cruises that they cannot deliver. Again IMHO they are moving towards being a mobile care home where every day is spent at sea and the passengers will not know or care what day it is!:eek:

The crux of the matter, in anything, is that you expect to receive what you have been sold. When they take your money then start moving the goalposts, that is wrong. IMHO P&O are now marketing cruises that they cannot deliver. Again IMHO they are moving towards being a mobile care home where every day is spent at sea and the passengers will not know or care what day it is!:eek:

Well I cannot agree with the first part as our last cruise actually had longer in port than advertised so in that respect you are wrong. Any the lead time for these cruises is so long, changes happen.

Not quite a mobile care home but for many your last statement has a ring of truth. Especially on a cruise as long as this one.

Gan Canny

Dai

Which would you rather - the longer port stays or the cheap price - it seems blatantly obvious you can't have both..

I am a great believer in u get what u pay for.

Well we paid top dollar- FULL price (Vantage fare), for a mid-ships high deck balcony cabin so surely we deserve to get the FULL published time in the ports and not have our time cut short to save money. Yes, we definitely want to get what we paid for.

Well we paid top dollar- FULL price (Vantage fare), for a mid-ships high deck balcony cabin so surely we deserve to get the FULL published time in the ports and not have our time cut short to save money. Yes, we definitely want to get what we paid for.

An interesting point here for our USA and Canada cruise. Just found a brochure for 2010. The port timings we have now on Aurora, that is the altered ones, are the same as they were in 2010 except you got two days in New York. No evening depart from anywhere else all described as full day which is exactly what we have now. Except Boston where I think we get longer.

Gan Canny

Dai

An interesting point here for our USA and Canada cruise. Just found a brochure for 2010. The port timings we have now on Aurora, that is the altered ones, are the same as they were in 2010 except you got two days in New York. No evening depart from anywhere else all described as full day which is exactly what we have now. Except Boston where I think we get longer.

Gan Canny

Dai

Doesn't mean Jack Sh#t. That's not what we purchased in2013. P&O are bang out of order and I'll be extremely surprised if the company exists in its present form in 2 yrs time!!!:mad:

If you are on the ship they have you by the short and curlies, you have to spend money on the ship. My suspicion is they want you on the ship not ashore.

As for P&O being pub prices that's not true, my local is £2.48 for a pint of Carling. They are nearer £4 a pint.

Gan Canny

Dai

I must dig out my Quebec to New York timetable from 2007, if memory serves me right we had full days on all stops apart from St Johns as the typical Bay of Fundy was fogged in.

If you are on the ship they have you by the short and curlies, you have to spend money on the ship. My suspicion is they want you on the ship not ashore.

As for P&O being pub prices that's not true, my local is £2.48 for a pint of Carling. They are nearer £4 a pint.

Thats cos it not A **** beer like Carling.

Gan Canny

Dai

Doesn't mean Jack Sh#t. That's not what we purchased in2013. P&O are bang out of order and I'll be extremely surprised if the company exists in its present form in 2 yrs time!!!:mad:

Sorry that is total rubbish.

Did you ascertain what the timings were before you bought your cheap tickets.

Are you sure they had not been changed before that?

I have been reading quotes like that for years. You came on these board with a dislike for P&O and now you are sailing with them for 25 nights,:confused::confused:

You are not going to enjoy the cruise I feel. As I said above.

Gan Canny

Dai

Archived