WARNING: P&O cost cutting.

Nixi

An interesting point here for our USA and Canada cruise. Just found a brochure for 2010. The port timings we have now on Aurora, that is the altered ones, are the same as they were in 2010 except you got two days in New York. No evening depart from anywhere else all described as full day which is exactly what we have now. Except Boston where I think we get longer.

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

All I know is that the timings shown on our itinerary when we booked this cruise gave us longer in port than we now have and that suited us very well. We do enjoy sea days but love full days in port.

So how long do you get in NY now? Assume you need at least 2 full days.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We first noticed the short port times in April last year. Hence we and friends and family now cruise with other cruise lines. Cannot believe P&O have been so short sighted.

So that is another vote for higher fares.

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

All I know is that the timings shown on our itinerary when we booked this cruise gave us longer in port than we now have and that suited us very well. We do enjoy sea days but love full days in port.

So how long do you get in NY now? Assume you need at least 2 full days.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

New York has not changed. Arrive lunch time on the 10/9 leave 17.30 11/9 as per the brochure.

We still have full days in the ports we have lost the 3 evening departures. Which are not much good unless you want to wander round Portland after dark. Some people will have wanted to eat ashore but as I have said the vast majority would be back on board having dinner.

Gan Canny

Dai

It's happening all across the P&O fleet. All we can put it down to I'd saving fuel. I have been in touch with P&O and await a reply. IMHO i suspect they have found themselves in financial difficulties caused by a failed sales campaign and a migration of disillusioned regular cruisers to other lines. It must be serious to get rid of your top people. Only time will tell if I'm right.

It's happening all across the P&O fleet. All we can put it down to I'd saving fuel. I have been in touch with P&O and await a reply. IMHO i suspect they have found themselves in financial difficulties caused by a failed sales campaign and a migration of disillusioned regular cruisers to other lines. It must be serious to get rid of your top people. Only time will tell if I'm right.

You are correct with your oil assumption. But not the other one. This has been on the cards for some time withe Cunard slowing their ships down as well. This happened long before getaway fares and vantage fares.

I think whoever put the cruises together pre brochure was being over optimistic as when I look back to 2010 the port times are the same as our rescheduled ones.

Dai

Between 1986 and 1991 my wife and I took three cruises aboard the Canberra. On each there were only five ports of call during the fortnight’s cruise. As someone who prefers liner voyages (yes, sadly, almost extinct now) to cruises, this was fine with me. The 1991 cruise to Norway remains the best cruise we ever took. At two of the ports there were excursions by private train – we’re not fond of buses - and after calling at our most northerly port of Narvik, the Canberra took us way north to see the polar ice cap.

In the late 1980s I remember one passenger's comment in the magazine of the POSH Club: "Ports of call are an unnecessary interruption to my shipboard experience." Of course it wouldn’t be a cruise without ports of call, but the woman's sentiments were shared by many.

Those timings for Aurora are really bad for New York and Quebec City. We had 2 full days in New York. Arrived 0700 - it was our first port and by the time we had cleared immigration, it was about 0900. We didn't leave the following evening until about 1700. So that was definitely 2 full days. In Quebec City, we arrived at 1200 and left at 1400 the following day. Now, how is that 2 full days? I think it's the expectation of all that lovely time that sways you to book. How is it fair to cut it down once you are getting near the holiday?

If you just wanted transatlantic with no ports, you would book with Cunard?

Those timings for Aurora are really bad for New York and Quebec City. We had 2 full days in New York. Arrived 0700 - it was our first port and by the time we had cleared immigration, it was about 0900. We didn't leave the following evening until about 1700. So that was definitely 2 full days. In Quebec City, we arrived at 1200 and left at 1400 the following day. Now, how is that 2 full days? I think it's the expectation of all that lovely time that sways you to book. How is it fair to cut it down once you are getting near the holiday?

If you just wanted transatlantic with no ports, you would book with Cunard?

I want to arrive at midday in NY for the ssil in you are mistaken about quebec. We are there until 17.30 arriving mid day the day before.

Dai

That was what we were told as well, but then it was cut back. I had organised a hire car for 1430 to drive to Ottawa - about 4 hours. Leaving again the following morning would have us back by about lunchtime which would be perfect with a 17.30 departure. about 4 weeks before we went, I phoned to make sure of the departure time and was told it was all aboard for 1430 - trip ruined.

That was what we were told as well, but then it was cut back. I had organised a hire car for 1430 to drive to Ottawa - about 4 hours. Leaving again the following morning would have us back by about lunchtime which would be perfect with a 17.30 departure. about 4 weeks before we went, I phoned to make sure of the departure time and was told it was all aboard for 1430 - trip ruined.

Sorry that is the time it has beem cut to. It was an evening departure.

Dai

We were on Oriana in the Med at Easter and it was fact that we left ports early - Malta 1pm etc. and then maintained a steady 12 knots to get to the next port of call. It was not poor planning on my part but a total farce with many cruisers vowing they won't be back on P and O. It is company policy to conserve fuel [it may also have to do with port charges]. I'm not moaning, frankly Oriana was in poor shape and there were plenty of other things to complain about! How the captain could sit there and say she could do another 18 years - laughable.

Yes the OP is right cut backs all round and noticeable [if like us] you hadn't been with po for a long time. Still prepared to try Adonia in the Fjords next month before giving up on PO altogether.

This is also happening on Cunard where we spent two very slow days getting back from Bergen so much so that at dinner the night before arrival we were already level with the White Cliffs! Carnival are talking measures to conserve costs and in many ways who can blame them? IMHO if we want cheap cruises we have to take the downs with the ups I guess.

This is also happening on Cunard where we spent two very slow days getting back from Bergen so much so that at dinner the night before arrival we were already level with the White Cliffs! Carnival are talking measures to conserve costs and in many ways who can blame them? IMHO if we want cheap cruises we have to take the downs with the ups I guess.

I don't particularly want cheap cruises. I want a cruise I can select at a price I know will not be massively reduced after I have paid. Also visits the places at the times agreed when I signed the booking contract. Not a lot to ask for I don't think.

Once a company starts changing things to suit them, just because they can, then customers will not trust them and therefore not book with them

I guess it all comes down to what u want. I have sailed with both princess and p and o and for me, p and o wins. I would agree that princess has a better buffet, longer port stops and higher prices where as p&o is cheaper in the main, has far superior kids clubs and a better menu in the dining room ( I never saw what the fuss was about lobster... And princess' eggs benny is truly awful)

It all comes down to what you prefer. I prefer p&o but I am happy to sail on princess

You op prefer princess but continue to sail on p&o and expect it to change to suit you. I am reminded of an Einstein quote. "The definition of insanity - to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results"

I guess it all comes down to what u want. I have sailed with both princess and p and o and for me, p and o wins. I would agree that princess has a better buffet, longer port stops and higher prices where as p&o is cheaper in the main, has far superior kids clubs and a better menu in the dining room ( I never saw what the fuss was about lobster... And princess' eggs benny is truly awful)

It all comes down to what you prefer. I prefer p&o but I am happy to sail on princess

You op prefer princess but continue to sail on p&o and expect it to change to suit you. I am reminded of an Einstein quote. "The definition of insanity - to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results"

Yep, I prefer to sail on Princess and raid P&O for the occasional bargain (as IMHO they are not worth paying brochure price). I cruise at least 4 times a year and only one of those now will be with P&O. At around £55 -£80 per night I rate them a premier inn and treat em as such. :p

Also, I've done the Med, Caribbean and Norway sooooo many times its now boring. As P&O don't go anywhere else for most of the year, they are a non starter. I'm doing Antarctica with Celebrity,2 Pacific coastals with Princess and Australia and New Zealand with Celebrity. A good range of interesting locations.

Yep, I prefer to sail on Princess and raid P&O for the occasional bargain (as IMHO they are not worth paying brochure price). I cruise at least 4 times a year and only one of those now will be with P&O. At around £55 -£80 per night I rate them a premier inn and treat em as such. :p

Yes well you can understand why princess is more expensive than that, nursing home costs do go up and up don't they ? ;)

I have just done a dummy booking for our cruise on Azura in Oct

There is a statement on there saying that the departure from Gran Canaria is now in the afternoon, funny how we have already paid for this cruise but we have had no notification of this from P and O

That is not good customer service, what if people have trips booked and don't know about the early departure

I want to arrive at midday in NY for the ssil in you are mistaken about quebec. We are there until 17.30 arriving mid day the day before.

Dai

The very best time to arrive in NYC is dawn, as we did on QE2 and Aurora. It is stunning seeing the sun come up over the skyscrapers. I would be very upset if the sail in had been put back.

045.jpg

Were you planning to spend the whole night in Canada then? I know when I investigated staying with a friend in NY state and rejoining the ship at Boston, I wasn't allowed to stay off the ship.

Yes, we had one night in Quebec. time enough to drive to Ottawa, stay the night with family and drive back in the morning. As the ship was in the same port it wasn't a problem.

I didn't think Immigration allowed that as you are in effect entering the country to stay whereas the ship's documentation will show you as staying on board. The US immigration certainly didn't.

We didn't find the US immigration a problem at all. We were through in under an hour including the queuing. In Canada, we didn't go through immigration at all.

Same here, been to the Land of the Free a couple of times, US Border Security - Immigration was ok, just don't argue with them, you will never win.

Archived