What do you find MOST useful about the Cruise Critic forums?

CCAubs

805 members have voted

1. 1. What do you find MOST useful about the Cruise Critic forums?

• Tips and advice when choosing/planning a cruise/shore excursion
    • Getting to know people on the cruise before I sail
    • Sharing experiences after a cruise
    • Staying in touch with friends
    • Something else, which I will share in the comments below

Although I appreciate all aspects of CC, I especially love the ability to get ACCURATE information about RCCL policies/rules/cruise info/etc., from the many seasoned cruisers who keep on top of such things. The constantly updated lists of current captains, current concierges and current CD's can only be found of CC and is greatly appreciated!:)

Even when I can't get a straight answer from RCCL or C&A, I know I can come to CC, post my question and get an answer I know I can trust.

I find myself going to these forums less and less. I guess I have just lost interest as it seems the same old posts over and over. Also, I have issues with the iron hand moderators use to remove posts and threads with no recourse. Just doesn't seem the American way to me. Moderators tend to show a bit of favoritism, too. There are a lot of threads that go way off topic or turn into chat rooms that the moderators don't do anything about, because the posters are popular, where others will get moved real quick.

Just my opinion. Thanks for the poll.

I guess if there is anything useful, it is a place where some useful information will be posted.

Our favorite thing is to meet fellow cruisers, on our cruise and just in general but there is so much to learn about cruising! I could go on but Cruise Critic is great! Like others I like the forums most but do look at other things often too! Thanks for such a Great Site!

Something else: Cruise Critic provides us with information:

1. when cruises are released [both the release schedule and the actual release - it is not unheard of that CC members know before the UK office does]
  2. changes happening to on board offering [eg introduction of beverage packages, changes to dining, changes in suite perks, etc]

We pick up all sorts of useful snippets of information on CC.

Sue

I had been cruising already for several years when I found this forum. I got lots of tips, advice, and help for our AK cruise. It really helped. That was our first M&G and we met some great people.

I like being able to learn about specific ships and types of cabins. The Ports of Call board has been very helpful and I've also liked being able to join excursions planned on our Roll Call. There are lots of helpful topics, including the Cruise Air.

The "tips & advice" !

Just because we've been cruising for a long time and have taken lots of cruises doesn't mean we know everything! :D

If newbie cruisers have cruised on a cruise line or ship or taken an excursion we haven't, they will know more about it than we do and we appreciate their help!

LuLu

~~~~

I agree - the tips are very helpful and making friends is a close second. Ruth

I like being able to reads the reviews of the ships by the members prior to booking a cruise. I have used the roll call on several cruises that we have taken to meet others prior to our cruise and we have booked several excursions with the roll call folks that we have met. It has been a wonderful tool for vacation planning. I also learn about some of the smaller less known ports on our cruises too. I highly recommend cruise critic to all my fellow travel friends.

Information about onshore excursions was really helpful. Would now like to meet others who are on the August 24th Baltic cruise and share information, tips, ideas to make this an amazing experience.

There is so much that is helpful on Cruise Critic but the thing Î am really thankful for are the many lifetime friends that we have made by getting to know them, even before meeting on ship. Cruise Critic has enriched our lives!!

Dolores

We find CC, and especially roll calls to be great for two reasons:

1. Finding out about and sharing lower cost excursions. Ports of Call boards are a great place to start.
  2. Meeting people before the cruise, learning about them, and getting a feeling of family even before the cruise.

The one roll call where we kept in touch long after the cruise was unfortunately discontinued because of its size. We definitely shared more than just cruise topics. I miss those folks, and have gone over to Facebook to keep in touch.

Most roll calls, however, go up to the cruise then stop, with no one sharing post cruise.

The one negative about CC is the small group of people who repetitively attempt to change the cruise experience (think Formal Nights, etc.) to satisfy their way of living.

I chose "tips and advice". Since I discovered this site, I come here every time I book a cruise! I not only research, and learn as much as I can about the ship and ports, but I get excited! For me, part of the fun of cruising is the planning and building up the anticipation/excitement level! I love reading everyone's experiences and reviews, and looking at pictures....just adds to the whole cruising experience! I love this site!

I am another who needed to check "all of the above"! I love the tips and advice - particularly when sailing on a ship that it new for me. I love those post-cruise reviews - especially the ones with lots of details and photos! We've made cherished friends on our roll calls and I wouldn't quite know what to do without my Fabulous February Friends! We've had grand adventures sharing excursions and pre-cruise celebrations with our roll call buddies. Most of all, CC allows me to make my once a year cruise an enjoyable experience during the entire anticipation period and sometimes lasting for a long time afterwards!

I picked "other" because I generally use CC for entertainment, or just to generally chat with other people who like to vacation the same way we do.

When we first started cruising I spent a lot of time on the main cruiseline boards, but now not so much because we have enough experience to figure out a lot of stuff. I do, however, keep an eye on the main boards because you can always learn something about a promotion or change.

I have have been using this forum for about ten years. During that time I have: (1)Used it to find cruises (2)cancelled cruises based on information found here (3)Selected cabins, hotels and excursions based on input (4)Picked up valuable packing tips (5) Learned about additional cruise line services you can purchase (6) made new friends.

It is my number one source for cruise information and most ;) of the time the information has been accurate and invaluable.

I just joined, but have enjoyed researching and reading detailed information from members.

Looking forward to my first cruise to Alaska, Aug. 3, on Westerdam!

I would have picked "all the above" if given a choice. We travel by ourselves, and have made so many wonderful friends thru CC. We refer to these special people as our "Cruising Family". We have had more dinners with them over the past years than we have had with actual blood relatives. Everyone's willingness to share their best travel tips is also very special. Most members of CC are avid cruisers, who only want to share their joy of cruising with others, so they also can have a positive experience.

I like the comments and rumors about the cruise industry, ships, changes to the on board experience and the good/bad experiences that my fellow cruiser report on. It helps me to figure out how to best select and prepare for my next cruise. But also like many of the other cruisers said - there is no one answer. The tips are great and so are the comments on the various ports. :)

I'm another one who wanted to give multiple answers. I chose the one about getting info to plan shore excursions because that's primarily what I'm doing these days, but I would have also have said that I loved meeting the people on our roll call for our last cruise.

Archived