A bit of advice choosing a date for a 7 day cruise to Mexico

Superpowers810

Hello everyone. Me and my mother are planning our first cruise to Mexico this December.

We can choose a cruise leaving on the 15th or the 22nd. I have been thinking of the one on the 15th because it's cheaper, but I'm worried we might be missing out on some of the holiday activities on the later voyage. It's also $600 more a person. We might have to downgrade to an Interior cabin or take a balcony NCL instead if we can't afford it. Is it worth the extra cost?

P.S. Does anyone have any photos of the holiday decorations on the Sapphire Princess? Thanks

The ship will already be fully decorated for the December 15th cruise.

Unless you have a desire to be onboard on Xmas day, I would go on the 15th and save the $$$.

The cruise on the 22nd would probably have more Xmas activities such as Xmas carols, Santa Claus, and a special Xmas dinner.

The ship will already be fully decorated for the December 15th cruise.

Unless you have a desire to be onboard on Xmas day, I would go on the 15th and save the $$$.

The cruise on the 22nd would probably have more Xmas activities such as Xmas carols, Santa Claus, and a special Xmas dinner.

To add it will also be more crowded because a great number of families travel at Christmas time which is why the price is higher.

To add it will also be more crowded because a great number of families travel at Christmas time which is why the price is higher.

Really? That makes it easier for me to choose then! 15th it is. For some reason I thought the 15th would be more crowded because it was cheaper but I guess I was wrong. Thanks.

While I'm here, I have a few questions about the Sapphire :)

1. Is smoking allowed in all the bars/lounges or just a couple?

2. Are people under 18 allowed entry to the bars

3. Do they give massages, pedicures, manicures, etc at the Sanctuary?

Really? That makes it easier for me to choose then! 15th it is. For some reason I thought the 15th would be more crowded because it was cheaper but I guess I was wrong.

You were looking at it backwards: the holiday cruise is more expensive because it tends to sell quickly.

Or as Yogi said, "Nobody goes there anymore -- it's too crowded."

Really? That makes it easier for me to choose then! 15th it is. For some reason I thought the 15th would be more crowded because it was cheaper but I guess I was wrong. Thanks.

It may end up being full or almost full due to the lower pricing, but it will have many less children on board.

1. Is smoking allowed in all the bars/lounges or just a couple? None of them.

2. Are people under 18 allowed entry to the bars Most of the time, but they cannot purchase or consule alcohol. They are not allowed in Skywalker's after 10 PM.

See above in red

1. Is smoking allowed in all the bars/lounges or just a couple?

2. Are people under 18 allowed entry to the bars

There is no smoking allowed in any bars or lounges. As said, on some ships, smoking is allowed in a section of Skywalkers in the evening.

Those under 18 are allowed into bars and lounges but they can't order a drink or be served a drink (even if they don't order it.) If a server knowingly serves a minor a drink, they could be reprimanded or dismissed. Only someone irresponsible would put them in that position. At night in Skywalkers, cruise cards are checked and anyone under 18 isn't allowed in.

I too am looking at the December 15th cruise. I am watching to see if the price will ever come down before I leap. (I can hope :)) I would like to the avoid the kids on Christmas vacation, they should still be in school that week. I just do not enjoy vacationing with hundreds of kids running about the ship, I mean no offense.

I think the 22nd will have lots of kids and will be more popular. Also holiday inclusive cruises are typically the most expensive.

I too am looking at the December 15th cruise. I am watching to see if the price will ever come down before I leap. (I can hope :)) I would like to the avoid the kids on Christmas vacation, they should still be in school that week. I just do not enjoy vacationing with hundreds of kids running about the ship, I mean no offense.

I think the 22nd will have lots of kids and will be more popular. Also holiday inclusive cruises are typically the most expensive.

I don't mind lots of kids as long as they are relatively under control, but kids will be kids.

Pam, are minors not allowed to order any sort of drinks in the bars or can they still order non-alcoholic drinks?

Most every Dec we book this cruise. As usual, we are booked this year. If you decide to book, there is a roll call, come join us. Xmas decoration can be seen everywhere... it's very festive. There are not as many children as most are still in school... although kids don't bother us. And, this cruise is always less expensive than the Xmas and New Years cruises, which also makes it nice.

Definitely. Most schools go through the Friday before the holiday. In some cases, parents might take their kids out that day as there's usually nothing going on, except for the school districts that end their fall semester then (the LAUSD, the second biggest school district in the country moved to this type of calendar last year for all of its schools) when there may still be a final exam or two. Most school districts would frown on parents taking out the kids while instruction is still going on (which would be the second week of December, the one the OP seems to be going for).

So higher demand (from families) would mean holiday week cruises will be sold out early.

And the bars do sell virgin versions of some of the mixed drinks. Anyone can order these.

Some Ca. school districts start their holiday vacations early. I believe LA unified will be off then.

So although not a lot of kids, I am sure there will be some on the Dec 15th cruise. We are on this cruise and the one before (Hawaii).

Price for Mexico cruise was less a couple of months ago. It went up a little after Princess ran their REd White and Blue sale. I bet there will either be another sale or some price reductions to help fill up the ship.

The ship will be decorated.

Some Ca. school districts start their holiday vacations early. I believe LA unified will be off then.

So although not a lot of kids, I am sure there will be some on the Dec 15th cruise. We are on this cruise and the one before (Hawaii).

Price for Mexico cruise was less a couple of months ago. It went up a little after Princess ran their REd White and Blue sale. I bet there will either be another sale or some price reductions to help fill up the ship.

My school actually starts its break on the 13th (SoCal)

Another teacher here, I was looking at this cruise with my kids because I am off starting that weekend. I have cruised several times that week and it usually isn't crowded with kids.

The Xmas and New Years raises are the most expensive followed by thanksgiving week. ( any time kids are out of school the prices are higher). Since you aren't traveling with kids I agree the 15th is better since i dont think you care about Santa delivering presents on Christmas morning...

Believe me, that price on the 15th will come down. I've watched it for years and it always does. It's one of the least-booked sailings out of the whole year.

I'd rather go on the 15th, but with companies closing for the holidays, that's when people have to take their time off in our family. It will be packed with families. This will be our third Christmas week cruise and it's always full of newbies and families. :cool:

The last official day of the LAUSD fall semester is 12/13 (Friday). There could be some families fudging it by a day or so, but only if their kids' finals are over. My daughter's high school has the last day of finals that day.

Archived