More evidence HAL likes new passengers better!

sunviking90

Well that's no good. I have actually done this on another site...not a cruise site but a travel site in the UK- and it worked. Different data base rules I guess.

So, is there no way to avoid the HAL 'higher price' reward for being a repeat customer if it is applicable on the cruise that we happen to select?

Would a HAL manager override this higher price if we asked to speak with one?

Is this pricing practice something that typically occurs outside the cancellation window or have people experienced it when booking inside the cancellation window (this is when we often book)?

That is exactly what we plan to do.

Princess appears to do the opposite. We recently booked a SA cruise and we each got a $100 or $200. discount because we were returning customers. We had not booked on Princess for a few years and were surprised. Not certain if it was a specific promotion or a regular practice. I only noticed when our TA broke down the fare for us. We only pay attention to the bottom line price, net of OBC's, so we did not see this until the invoice arrived.

That is SOP for Princess. They do like repeat business and do not think that newbies are the best.

I buy the idea that newbes probably spend more. I think it is GOOD that HAL tries to attract new cruisers.

Isn't that something of a generalization?

Maybe it's good to give a nod there might be some exceptions?

Isn't that something of a generalization?

Maybe it's good to give a nod there might be some exceptions?

When people say that maybe they are thinking of their own spending patterns so they assume everyone else has pared down as well:eek:.

Well that's no good. I have actually done this on another site...not a cruise site but a travel site in the UK- and it worked. Different data base rules I guess.

So, is there no way to avoid the HAL 'higher price' reward for being a repeat customer if it is applicable on the cruise that we happen to select?

Would a HAL manager override this higher price if we asked to speak with one?

Is this pricing practice something that typically occurs outside the cancellation window or have people experienced it when booking inside the cancellation window (this is when we often book)?

I suggest you try what you had previously suggested. Unless you need to present a special offer code in order to get the first time cruiser discount, you'll be fine.

Think about it. If you went go to any large online TA website that allows you to book online, they will post the price first before they gather any of your personal data. The TA online booking engine platform is not the HAL platform, so it cannot access HAL past passenger information.

I have personally seen prices on flights change by 40% in just a couple of hours for a flight that was 6 months out. Looked at costs on a flight from Indy to FLL - wanted to check with DW before booking but she was not home and without phone - she got home 2 hours later - the exact same flight had gone up 40% in those 2 hours - (I had printed out the lower price so could confirm the increase).

Also - gasoline prices - they have been increasing by 20% and 30% instant jumps here in the Midwest - then taking days to go back down - all for no reason.

Just the way things are now days.

Well yes, of course it needs to attract new cruisers but not at the expense of the "old" ones.

Please explain how a new customer getting a good deal costs anyone else anything?

If you like the line and the itinerary and then book a cruise as a returning customer because the price seemed right, how does someone else getting a comparable cabin, or even a slightly better one for the same, or even lower, price, hurt you in any way?

How would you feel if, after booking a cruise and making the final payment, you find that someone who booked just three days before sailing paid half of what you paid because there were a lot of unsold cabins? If you felt cheated, it might be because you still had a first-grader's concept of fairness?

Please explain how a new customer getting a good deal costs anyone else anything?

If you like the line and the itinerary and then book a cruise as a returning customer because the price seemed right, how does someone else getting a comparable cabin, or even a slightly better one for the same, or even lower, price, hurt you in any way?

How would you feel if, after booking a cruise and making the final payment, you find that someone who booked just three days before sailing paid half of what you paid because there were a lot of unsold cabins? If you felt cheated, it might be because you still had a first-grader's concept of fairness?

You seem very confused. Hal gives better pricing to newbies. I don't know how that is supposed make a person feel good. It isn't a difficult concept, is it? I thought the title of the thread was pretty clear. People get better prices after final payment all the time...apples and oranges. The 2 are unrelated so why would you even bring that up:confused:?

I must think differently than some...

Carnival Cruise Lines/HAL is the largest cruise product provider in the world, and they must be doing something right. I don't think it is possible that they don't know what they are doing, or that they deliberately screw loyal customers. They do whatever they need to do to fill cabins.

I also am aware that if they need to move some cabins, they discount them out through different sources, i.e. bulk sellers. Some large travel agencies have different deals, and some use their incentives or commissions to meet or beat sales objectives, etc. Unless we ONLY use the same travel agent, or ONLY book direct with the cruise line, how can we honestly compare?

We're all sharing stories, but we really can't compare the timing, and hidden deals, the who, etc., because each one of us has a different circumstance. If you ask around a different table of 4 couples, you will get 4 different prices; one guy remembers the advertised price, the other includes the cruise AND taxes and port fees, the other guy includes everything even tips. The 4th... he lies and claims he got a deal.

I occasionally put some small group cruises together, and since it is not a profit thing, I share all the info... you are free to book in whatever category and whenever you want... and I am amazed at some of the differences in pricing. I can always see a random advertised 'better price' that compares to the 'best price' I've got for the group. I'm amazed that some are willing to pay nearly twice as much as the rest of us, but that's their business. The prices change regularly... that's why Carnival has so many popular price categories that allow them to take advantage of price reductions after booking. Even within the 'same' category, nothing is the 'same.'

I have found sailing prices nearly 50% off than the next week's sailing... and then go back to the 'typical' price a week later after I book. I've also found some sales reps don't know what they are doing... so finding a good rep or TA is invaluable.

So I doubt it really has to do with being a new or returning passengers, but I am not in a position to doubt what anyone says. I believe what all of us are saying, and it is a great parlor game trying to figure out 'why?' but to be honest I doubt we ever will know the answer.

However it makes no sense to openly screw returning passengers because first-timers buy more photos. Could be... but I really don't think so.

Could be I need to sign in as 'Pollyanna!'

But that is my point - they need to revise their rewards program to continue to attract repeat customers, like me for example.

quote]

They don't need to attract repeat customers as they have the largest in the industry.

They do, however, need to attract new customers. There are a bunch of people on the Celebrity and other boards who say the want to try HAL but won't because of the poor mariner program.

I don't understand what you trying to say here.....surely the aim of any business is to get new customers and in turn get those newbies to become regulars.

I am reminded constantly that HAL has the largest number of repeat customers; HAL also has one of the oldest demographics which means that their tapped resource will eventually run dry when people reach the age of 78 years (based on average life expectancy in the USA). Given that 48% of US cruisers are 50 and older; it could easily be surmised that HAL will lose a minimum of 50% of it's repeaters within the next 28 years; 75% within the next 38 years; what happens then?

I am 32 and so have a good 46 years of cruising left in me; however I am swayed to keep my loyalty with others because I receive much better rewards - things like 20% discount on all cruises; best category upgrade on all cruises; preferential check in and tenders; champagne and strawberries for sail away; 20% discount on massages and dinner with the captain to name a few.

I am of the opinion that HAL has become complacent and the regulars deserve to receive more back from the cruise line than what is currently being offered.

We are not so sure HA has the highest "number" of repeaters. However, it has been said that they have the highest "percentage" of repeaters which is a totally different thing. In fact, we heard a discussion while on the Westerdam where it was pointed out that HA might have a high "percentage" of repeaters because they fail to attract a high percentage of new customers. Perhaps Brucemuzz (if he is lurking) can comment on this topic.

Hank

Allboard,

Are you referring to RCC?

I have never cruised RCL; doubt I ever will; their ships don't appeal to me.

Irrespective of which cruise line; it's MSC btw; my point is that HAL regulars are possibly the most loyal of all and you spend a lot of money with the line; lets be honest, a HAL cruise is not a cheap cruise and I just feel that the Mariner rewards are not proportional to your loyalty; I would even go so far as to say they a slap in the face.

I don't understand what you trying to say here.....surely the aim of any business is to get new customers and in turn get those newbies to become regulars.

I am reminded constantly that HAL has the largest number of repeat customers; HAL also has one of the oldest demographics which means that their tapped resource will eventually run dry when people reach the age of 78 years (based on average life expectancy in the USA). Given that 48% of US cruisers are 50 and older; it could easily be surmised that HAL will lose a minimum of 50% of it's repeaters within the next 28 years; 75% within the next 38 years; what happens then?

I am 32 and so have a good 46 years of cruising left in me; however I am swayed to keep my loyalty with others because I receive much better rewards - things like 20% discount on all cruises; best category upgrade on all cruises; preferential check in and tenders; champagne and strawberries for sail away; 20% discount on massages and dinner with the captain to name a few.

I am of the opinion that HAL has become complacent and the regulars deserve to receive more back from the cruise line than what is currently being offered.

Excuse me amigo... but in a previous post you stated that you spend an, "average $270 (presume from your description you are saying per person) per night for a cabin and then budget another $200 per day for on board spend..." As you say, your budget for 30 days cruising is $14,000 per year.

I dare say that if I had spent $470 a day on a ship, I'd expect a 20% discount too.

Excuse me amigo... but in a previous post you stated that you spend an, "average $270 (presume from your description you are saying per person) per night for a cabin and then budget another $200 per day for on board spend..." As you say, your budget for 30 days cruising is $14,000 per year.

The $270 per night is as a solo, but the above is just me I have a problem with being prudent with money ;) ; I met some people this past March who managed to spend a comfortable $100 per night, all in; not quite sure how they do it....

I dare say that if I had spent $470 a day on a ship, I'd expect a 20% discount too.

Thats my point; with Mariner Society you won't get it, which I believe is disappointing.

The $270 per night is as a solo, but the above is just me I have a problem with being prudent with money ;) ; I met some people this past March who managed to spend a comfortable $100 per night, all in; not quite sure how they do it....

Thats my point; with Mariner Society you won't get it...

My time is flexible and I generally look around until I find a deal. Next cruise, I'm there for $57 a day; plus tax, fees, and tip. Same cruise a week later is twice that.

And actually... when I first went online it was almost twice that, then I signed in and my Mariner price went down... way down. Some other friends decided to come with me who were not past passengers, and their price would have been hundreds more as first-timers, but the HAL rep said he could extend my Mariner rate to another 4 cabins. I have checked back several times and my Mariner deal is still better than any other deals I've discovered.

This time I'm interior... but most recents have been balconies for somewhere between $70 to $80 a day. Most times that usually included OBC's, etc.

It can be done. ;)

It can be done. ;)

My time is likewise relatively flexible; I get 120 days a year leave but my word; I can never find these great deals....and that is using 5 different TA on three different continents; I must be doing something wrong.

:confused: Why would you expect a 20% discount because you paid the fare for your cabin and chose to do some spending?

Check the price of an Neptune Suite on Maasdam or Veendam doing Canada/New England. Those Suites sell for over $500 pp per day. Add cocktails and wine, add hotel service charge, add manicure/pedicure, add coffee and and and and.......

Should we expect to get a 20% discount because we chose to book a cruise, book a particular cabin and have a drink or bottle of wine?

I'm sorry but I do not understand that reasoning.

Archived