More evidence HAL likes new passengers better!

sunviking90

I know that free drinks are hugely important to you. For me, that does very little. Also I think it's odd that Celebrity limits the free laundry. I'm pretty ok with the bennies offered by Hal. I just wish they had some free Internet. My 2 cruises on Celebrity were so poor that there is nothing to tempt me there. Princess also gives price breaks for frequent cruises so I appreciate that.

The "free" laundry works out to 60 items between the two of us. I don't think we bring that many clothes on a cruise lol. Anyhow, it's more than enough for us. As far as the "free drinks" the reason most people like to go to the Elite lounge is to socialize with other seasoned cruisers and not to knock back free drinks - although I am sure it does happen:)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On HAL we get 50% off a wine package, 50% off specialty dining, free laundry, can't remember if we get free internet, because once on a ship we do not use it. We get great service and great food.

On Celebrity (and RCI) we get all the benefits mentioned by another poster. Diamond/Elite.

On Princess we get the laundry, wi fi, shoes shined afternoon tea . Elite.

But with all of that, our favorite is HAL, even though the other lines are great, we still think the level of service on HAL is tops.

Only one thing is upsetting my applecart with any cruiseline, and that is being able to buy your loyalty standing.

That I do not understand, and find it insulting for long time loyalty paxs.

People in the top suites already get all the perks just by being in them, so why make this a lifetime perk?

They have people out there that earned their standing the old fashioned way; by continually cruising with that line.

This and this alone tests my loyalty.

Now let the squabbles begin. lol

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

The economy over the past few years has actually made us, from a travel perspective, a good deal less loyal to any rewards program. Hotel, air, cruise, whatever.

Why? The economic slowdown has resulted in many, many great travel opportunities. Companies are responding in various fashions-often based on where their particular business challenge lies. So, in the past few years we have had a number of Med cruises at prices that would have been unheard of in years past. Same with some air/hotel packages. It will eventually come to an end but right now we cannot afford base decisions on brand loyalty or reward plans. We are going to enjoy it while we can. If we can get three great cruises by cherry picking instead of two on a cruise line that we are loyal to, then so be it.

Christine, We totally agree with you. Celebrity really treats its Elites very well, and the provided amenities can be worth a substantial amount of money. DW and I will sometimes have a Bellini and/or Bloody Mary at the Elite breakfast, and 2 or 3 cocktails at the daily cocktail part. This means that on many days we will get about $40 (per person) just in free drinks. There is no way to price the hot and cold hors d'oevres provided at the daily Elite cocktail party. And then there are the upgrades (unlike HA....Celebrity does seem to upgrade their frequent cruisers). And then there are the other amenities like free internet minutes, free laundry (unlike HA..this is only for a limited number of items) etc. We also appreciate that Celebrity ships might actually have more then a few folks awake after 10 pm :)

Hank

Not just those benefits but we had the drink coupons on our transatlantic which I think were even better than the lounge as I could bring my drink right to dinner each night. These are in addition to us booking AQU class so we have a private dining venue without paying for a Suite with smoothies for breakfast and unlimited use of the spa loungers if we wish. On top of that for at least 6 months this year they offered unlimited beverage/alcohol packages (over a $1,000 value for 2 on a 12 night cruise, or one could choose the pre-paid gratuities or $300 OBC) for US and Canadian passengers for cruises through next year (and for European cruises unlimited beverage package, $300 OBC, and pre-paid gratuites). HAL has never offered anything like this.

Of course getting new cruisers is important. One can only go so far with repeat business - eventually all the long-time customers will be dead. Then what? (And I'm only being a little bit facetious).

You often see specials offered to residents of a certain state, military or police personnel, people over a certain age, people with AMEX cards or VISA cards or MasterCards, AARP members...whatever. There are specials for Mariner Club members. Why on earth could there not be specials offered for new cruisers? I see nothing wrong with that.

A local sandwich shop is offering 20% off for your first online order, because it's a service they just started providing. Am I upset that I can't get it for all subsequent orders because I'm a regular customer? No. I took advantage of the one-time deal and continue to use the service. I get a loyal customer reward by getting a free sandwich if my card is punched 10 times.

Offering a discount to newbie customers on some sailings and hoping they get hooked is good for business.

A few years ago we took a couple of Celebrity cruises and were very underwhelmed and avoided this line for over a decade. Then about 3 years ago we went back to Celebrity and tried one of their Solstice Class ships are were "blown away" at the improvements in quality, the beauty and functionality of the ship, the excellent alternative restaurants, and the quality of entertainment. We have since been doing quite a few Celebrity (as well as many HA days) and it seem like Celebrity keeps improving their overall product (and ships) while HA is working hard at going backwards (cut-backs).

Hank

The same thing happened to us. We ended up on a Celebrity 5 night cruise because we were bringing two teenagers (one was not ours) and could put them across the hall in an inside cabin. The cruise was just OK, ship clean but food not so good. Two years later we brought the same two teenagers back for the 4 night cruise on Century and was like WOW. Everyone was so friendly including the Captains Club Hostess, ship clean, food good, and than we tried a Solstice class ship and were blown away. And agree that Celebrity keeps improving and HAL keeps cutting back. We were on Veendam last year for 22 nights and our servers just kept complaining and the wine stewards said they were loosing their jobs and on and an. It wasn't a happy ship, plus we ended up in a cabin without working air conditioning, and than they forget to invite us to the Mariner brunch.

But, still hoping HAL is reading this board and will turn things around because HAL was always our favorite. Just disappointed in the direction they are going.

Of course getting new cruisers is important. One can only go so far with repeat business - eventually all the long-time customers will be dead. Then what? (And I'm only being a little bit facetious).

You often see specials offered to residents of a certain state, military or police personnel, people over a certain age, people with AMEX cards or VISA cards or MasterCards, AARP members...whatever. There are specials for Mariner Club members. Why on earth could there not be specials offered for new cruisers? I see nothing wrong with that.

A local sandwich shop is offering 20% off for your first online order, because it's a service they just started providing. Am I upset that I can't get it for all subsequent orders because I'm a regular customer? No. I took advantage of the one-time deal and continue to use the service. I get a loyal customer reward by getting a free sandwich if my card is punched 10 times.

Offering a discount to newbie customers on some sailings and hoping they get hooked is good for business.

Yeah, a sandwich and a cruise is the same thing:D. How much are you paying for that sandwich? You might be saving a buck.

The same thing happened to us. We ended up on a Celebrity 5 night cruise because we were bringing two teenagers (one was not ours) and could put them across the hall in an inside cabin. The cruise was just OK, ship clean but food not so good. Two years later we brought the same two teenagers back for the 4 night cruise on Century and was like WOW. Everyone was so friendly including the Captains Club Hostess, ship clean, food good, and than we tried a Solstice class ship and were blown away. And agree that Celebrity keeps improving and HAL keeps cutting back. We were on Veendam last year for 22 nights and our servers just kept complaining and the wine stewards said they were loosing their jobs and on and an. It wasn't a happy ship, plus we ended up in a cabin without working air conditioning, and than they forget to invite us to the Mariner brunch.

But, still hoping HAL is reading this board and will turn things around because HAL was always our favorite. Just disappointed in the direction they are going.

HAL does need to get their "ship" together. I had a cruise on Princess in April and the cabin service and MDR service was excellent. I assume they have the same staffing levels so I can understand why HAL struggles so much. Something is clearly wrong with the way they work.

Yeah, a sandwich and a cruise is the same thing:D. How much are you paying for that sandwich? You might be saving a buck.

Hardeeharhar.:D

Duh. The overall point is still valid. There are all sorts of discounts for cruises. Some we qualify for, some we don't. If a couple hundred bucks makes a difference, choose a week or ship or itinerary that has a discount for which you qualify and be happy when/if you find one. Heck, if you wait a month there might be a sale on the same cruise just for past cruisers.

Hardeeharhar.:D

Duh. The overall point is still valid. There are all sorts of discounts for cruises. Some we qualify for, some we don't. If a couple hundred bucks makes a difference, choose a week or ship or itinerary that has a discount for which you qualify and be happy when/if you find one. Heck, if you wait a month there might be a sale on the same cruise just for past cruisers.

No, HAL doesn't discount for higher day mariners, at least I've never got one. I've got quite a few days in with Princess and they still do. I just want to feel valued as a customer. I don't think that is too much to ask. If someone went into a car dealership they always dealt with and a newbie was buying the same car, how many people would be impressed to find the newbie got better pricing? The product HAL is putting out lately is getting worse and worse. At some point I will say to heck with this and go with Princess who in my mind is providing better service and values repeaters.

I'm very close to canceling my cruise. Very true. As a newbie who has not invested anything in HA. Why do I need to book with them while I'm seeing this level of complaints from their old timers. I have the $$ and with that I have the power to choose. HAL , you are about to fail with your business model.

Thank you and i will talk to you soon :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Please email me if you like to take our conversation further.

taneous@hotmail.com

Welllll....I have something totally debunkng this myth :D

I just received an email for my 4 Star Mariner husband that has almost 300 Mariner Day points offering special pricing not on their web site. To my surprise it was $200.00 per person less than the cabin I had on hold. I called and got it switched over plus it included the Ship Board Credit that HAL was offering.

I'm very close to canceling my cruise. Very true. As a newbie who has not invested anything in HA. Why do I need to book with them while I'm seeing this level of complaints from their old timers. I have the $$ and with that I have the power to choose. HAL , you are about to fail with your business model.

taneous@hotmail.com

But the level of complaints are because it is 'perceived' that newbies get better pricing - so why wouldn't you do it ? Not necessarily always true - take a look at Lisa's post just below yours and just above mine;)

I am honestly thinking one of the keys to this is NOT having anything booked and having Future Cruise Deposit sitting on your Mariner number.

HAL would have had no idea I just placed a cabin on hold and to my surprise I or I should say my husband gets this email.

Thomas—Don't miss these extraordinary private sale fares on last-minute Europe cruises.

From Mediterranean glamour to the onboard delights of a Transatlantic Voyage and the intimate elegance of the ms Prinsendam, enjoy your cruise of a lifetime.

When I clicked on the link sure enough it shows the price being $200.00 per person less than the regular web site. So I am now saving $400.00.

Now I am still up in the air as to which option I am taking because this was plan B and can cancel this in time for when I find out about Plan A :D

But the level of complaints are because it is 'perceived' that newbies get better pricing - so why wouldn't you do it ? Not necessarily always true - take a look at Lisa's post just below yours and just above mine;)

Kazu,

My own experience is that I only got 8% off the price without taxes in the form of OBC. That's all I got. I have shopped around and that seems the best deal. But people here are also taking about the poor service. Let's face it , HA is not a cheap cruise and if old timers who have invested buco $$$ over the years are complaining , that doesn't make me feel inclined to become one by taking my first cruise with them. I rather start building my elite status with someone else. I'm going to do some heavy cruising in the next 20 years hopefully. But I will have to stay unbiased and be objective in the next 2 months before final payment.

taneous@hotmail.com

Kazu,

My own experience is that I only got 8% off the price without taxes in the form of OBC. That's all I got. I have shopped around and that seems the best deal. But people here are also taking about the poor service. Let's face it , HA is not a cheap cruise and if old timers who have invested buco $$$ over the years are complaining , that doesn't make me feel inclined to become one by taking my first cruise with them. I rather start building my elite status with someone else. I'm going to do some heavy cruising in the next 20 years hopefully. But I will have to stay unbiased and be objective in the next 2 months before final payment.

taneous@hotmail.com

Thanks Thebes - if you look at any of the cruise lines on these boards I think you will always find people complain about service. (at least on the mass market lines). It's the nature of the beast.

Your 8% discount sounds reasonable to me - I think you did well pricing wise:)

Whatever line you choose - I hope you have a great cruise - and, btw - don't be limited to one line at the beginning. Try different ones and then see which one(s) you want to give your business to:D

taneous@hotmail.com

Kazu,

taneous@hotmail.com

I can understand your feelings.

Years ago we sailed on RCI. This was before they had rock climbing, ice rinks, etc. We saw a cruise that we liked and we thought they would give us a decent discount to come back to the them. Didn't happen -- $50 off the cabin!!

There was a time when we used to sail 60 - 90 days a year on HAL. Not any more. In fact we came home from an Alaskan cruise in 2012 and cancelled a couple of cruises on HAL. We are tired of HAL treating some people differently and we booking the same category as them. And there are just too far many different rules for passengers from ship to ship. Nothing is consistent.

We are elite on Princess and if there better cabins weren't under "MUTS" -- we would go back to them.

No, HAL doesn't discount for higher day mariners, at least I've never got one. I've got quite a few days in with Princess and they still do. I just want to feel valued as a customer. I don't think that is too much to ask. If someone went into a car dealership they always dealt with and a newbie was buying the same car, how many people would be impressed to find the newbie got better pricing? The product HAL is putting out lately is getting worse and worse. At some point I will say to heck with this and go with Princess who in my mind is providing better service and values repeaters.

You are right -- no discounts for high day Mariners.

My own experience is that I only got 8% off the price without taxes in the form of OBC. That's all I got. I have shopped around and that seems the best deal. But people here are also taking about the poor service. Let's face it , HA is not a cheap cruise and if old timers who have invested buco $$$ over the years are complaining , that doesn't make me feel inclined to become one by taking my first cruise with them. I rather start building my elite status with someone else.

Perhaps because of your inexperience with cruising, you don't realize that your 8% off the price is a good deal, not a bad one.

I am one of those "old timers" who has invested much time and money (well over 500 days, dating back to 1978) who has complaints. No cruise line, nothing at all in my experience, is perfect and it's important to me to see the complete picture.

But you must not be reading the posts with lots of positives, as there certainly are on a HAL cruise. I may see things wrong with the line, but I do have four more cruises booked with HAL, too.

Welllll....I have something totally debunkng this myth :D

I just received an email for my 4 Star Mariner husband that has almost 300 Mariner Day points offering special pricing not on their web site. To my surprise it was $200.00 per person less than the cabin I had on hold. I called and got it switched over plus it included the Ship Board Credit that HAL was offering.

Well lucky you. I'm willing to bet that this is a rarity so I don't think it debunks the myth at all. I'm willing to bet that if you had a cruise or more booked with them you would have never seen this.

Well lucky you. I'm willing to bet that this is a rarity so I don't think it debunks the myth at all. I'm willing to bet that if you had a cruise or more booked with them you would have never seen this.

That is exactly my point!!! It is not the fact that it is only going to New Mariners or New to HAL it is going out to Mariners no matter their status but it depends on if they have a cruise booked and possibly if they have a FUture cruise deposit not being used.

The last few months is the first time since about our 3rd HAL cruise that we did NOT have a single future cruise booked. So it has been a good solid 8+ years that there was always at least one cruise booked with HAL. We have been bombarded with snail mail and emails starting at about 2 weeks after we canceled the Eurodam. This week alone so far has been 2 snail mail and 2 emails including yesterdays private sail offered. I also just went back to an email I received about 2 weeks ago and addressed to my husband was a private sale for Alaska this year. I never really read it or opened it because I was not interested in Alaska since we just went in May. But the same on this one the pricing appears to be $200.00 to $400.00 per person off the normal price.

I think there are probably plenty of 5 and 4 star Mariners getting these offers who do not have a cruise booked maybe even have future cruise deposits they can use. I am guessing it is a shock to HAL we do not have a cruise booked with them and want to change that :D SO yes it does go against the thought theory HAL is only giving this to New Passengers.

That is exactly my point!!! It is not the fact that it is only going to New Mariners or New to HAL it is going out to Mariners no matter their status but it depends on if they have a cruise booked and possibly if they have a FUture cruise deposit not being used.

The last few months is the first time since about our 3rd HAL cruise that we did NOT have a single future cruise booked. So it has been a good solid 8+ years that there was always at least one cruise booked with HAL. We have been bombarded with snail mail and emails starting at about 2 weeks after we canceled the Eurodam. This week alone so far has been 2 snail mail and 2 emails including yesterdays private sail offered. I also just went back to an email I received about 2 weeks ago and addressed to my husband was a private sale for Alaska this year. I never really read it or opened it because I was not interested in Alaska since we just went in May. But the same on this one the pricing appears to be $200.00 to $400.00 per person off the normal price.

<snip>

Is the offer good for any category cabin, Lisa?

Could it be used for Neptune or Pinnacle Suite?

I think there are probably plenty of 5 and 4 star Mariners getting these offers who do not have a cruise booked maybe even have future cruise deposits they can use. I am guessing it is a shock to HAL we do not have a cruise booked with them and want to change that :D SO yes it does go against the thought theory HAL is only giving this to New Passengers.

For what it is worth: 5 stars, no cruises booked, 2 FCD/FCC that we want to use (are you listening, HAL??).

We have been getting a few emails from HAL since returned from our latest cruise (June) but have not received the one Lisa's husband got. We have list of 3 cruises in September and will book one of those if we can find a promo. I wish HAL would send us something!

Lisa: did you also receive the email? If not, I wonder why.

Archived