So now that they've back-pedalled..

startwin

Tell that to the wine stewards and the MDR manager and his or her assistant MDR managers who condone the arrangement. In fact some of them were former wine stewards and have participated in the arrangement. Each hotman could put a stop to it but they also condone it.

And that makes it right? :confused: :eek:

The "arrangement" you were referring to in response to Mudscraper's post.

Oh, that. :) I have seen posts here where posters mentioned telling the waiters that they'd take care of them <wink, wink> if they don't charge them the corkage fee. Which is different from the corkage being waved voluntarily (I see that similar to a bartender buying you a free drink). BTW we have been charged a corkage fee for every bottle of wine we have taken to dining areas on HAL.

My older daughter, a self-proclaimed "wine brat," has never paid a corkage fee on HAL.

She has never made an "arrangement" with the wine steward in the MDR.

For some reason, they just don't charge her.

On at least one occasion, the wine steward told her "don't worry about it."

She takes fairly expensive wines aboard.

Oh, that. :) I have seen posts here where posters mentioned telling the waiters that they'd take care of them <wink, wink> if they don't charge them the corkage fee. Which is different from the corkage being waved voluntarily (I see that similar to a bartender buying you a free drink). BTW we have been charged a corkage fee for every bottle of wine we have taken to dining areas on HAL.

Yes, we've always paid corkage on wine we've taken to the MDR - the only exception being wine that was supplied by HAL. I guess none of the wine waiters have liked us enough to waive the corkage - and I certainly wouldn't expect it.:(

Yes, we've always paid corkage on wine we've taken to the MDR - the only exception being wine that was supplied by HAL. I guess none of the wine waiters have liked us enough to waive the corkage - and I certainly wouldn't expect it.:(

The HAL wine is corkage-free. I was never offended for not getting the corkage fee waived; I expect to pay it and a waiver would be appreciated but never anticipated. :)

Jacqui,

I'm a little confused.

You returned very recently from Prinsendam and you had glowing reports of how wonderful your experience on the elegrant explorer and it was a joy reading how happy you were on that ship.

What happened between now and then that you are so disturbed at their lack of 'signature of excellence'? I fully understand your displeasure about the wine policy change and particularly how it was handled but does that alone negate everything you loved about HAL a mere two months ago?

I genuinely do not know what else might have happened about which I am unaware to have you so sure HAL is on a path to all bad things. All the things you loved no longer matter?

Yes, the Prinsendam cruise was very good. And although I enjoy the other ships, the Prinsendam is superior IMO. Now, this cruise, very good, did have a couple of 'bumps'. I did report one in my live thread. Bumps happen on any cruise and I accept them. That being said...

the Prinsendam is not a cheap ship to sail in. And the wine choices are unfortunately the same as the other ships. Part of the fun of the Prinsendam cruise was our wine tasting for the roll call, hosting the cabin crawl hosts who were kind enough to show their cabins, and generally meeting and hosting people in our PS especially with all those sea days. Not being able to bring wine on board means the end of some of those things. In fact I wouldn't have taken the upsell to the PS (which was not cheap) if it wouldn't have been possible to do those things.

Keep in mind, we had some of HAL's wine in the room, grey goose vodka purchased from HAL and rum purchased from HAL.

Having to buy HAL's wine, IF you want something decent is not cheap and it makes the hosting of these parties even more expensive.

So, #1 it takes away part of the joy of a suite - which is NOT a cheap proposition, especially on the Prinsendam.

It's not just the wine policy Judy, it's the way HAL has handled the whole thing. Anyways it set me looking and when I see that I can get an all inclusive cruise in a suite on a smaller ship then, yes, I am certainly thinking about it.

There have been issues on other ships - bumps, shall we say if you like, along with declines in certain things. After a while, they start to add up. So, unless we are doing the Caribbean, we have kind of decided to stay as much as possible with the Prinsendam which makes cruising an expensive game. I don't come on these boards and report every 'bump' because I try not to let those things bother me on a cruise and usually I can get them resolved. But, there have certainly been some interesting ones in the past.

If HAL had handled this differently, I would probably not have even looked.

I think cruisemom42 said it very well - (this is not a correct quote) but something to the effect that we grow attached emotionally (true) and take things personally when they happen. I know I did. Foolish as it is.

I had the silly idea that I was a good client of HAL's and the email response I got really irked me. No personalization at all, despite my letter outlining several constructive ideas with some questions (none answered).

Fine, if they were swamped with emails, then wait a day or two more to respond.

In any case, as DH said last night - company's change. We can always change too.

I LOVE the itinerary on the P'dam for next year - I'm going with cruisers that I have either cruised with before that I like and respect or with other cc'ers on the boards whom I have respected and would very much like to meet. That's part of the attraction of this cruise as well. I've been fortunate to meet a lot of wonderful people on roll calls and on the boards - so it is a huge plus for this itinerary as well.

As I said before, I don't do any moves when I am upset but, with this new policy in place cruising on the P'dam for us could be more expensive than Seabourn or Silversea. Scary, isn't it?

so, there is some hard looking to be done - itineraries, prospects, etc.

I guess I actually owe HAL some thanks. I wouldn't have gone looking if this hadn't happened. I really expected the luxury lines to be much more costly.

The HAL wine is corkage-free. I was never offended for not getting the corkage fee waived; I expect to pay it and a waiver would be appreciated but never anticipated. :)

We haven't taken that many bottles to the MDR - but we have taken some 'special ones' and we were always charged corkage. we fully expected to be charged and never even thought one would be waived;)

Jacqui,

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

I genuinely feel badly as your enthusiasm and excitement during and after your recent Prinsendam cruise was profound and it's a shame HAL's own actions have dimmed it for you.

Hopefully, HAL will see how badly they erred and will find a way to make up for it a bit. They truly upset many people and it didn't have to happen.

I don't for a minute think they made these moves without lots of consideration over a long time but somehow/someone handled it very poorly.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I've taken many bottles to the MDR and always paid the corkage fee. That has never bothered me...........until now. Knowing that others have had the corkage fee waived, sort of pisses me off. Fair is fair. Either we all pay, or nobody pays. I'm really onboard with a scheme that collects a corkage fee on every bottle brought aboard.

Me too. Not only would I not expect it, I wouldn't feel very good about myself if it was offered.

I've taken many bottles to the MDR and always paid the corkage fee. That has never bothered me...........until now. Knowing that others have had the corkage fee waived, sort of pisses me off. Fair is fair. Either we all pay, or nobody pays. I'm really onboard with a scheme that collects a corkage fee on every bottle brought aboard.

Good idea. Once they fix that they can add no taking off the hotel service charge. Perhaps they're getting it right?

I keep thinking about kazu's remarks (can't recall which thread now) regarding the MDR wine service. She made some excellent points.

If I can no longer bring wines I know we enjoy, who will be available to assist me in selecting something from HAL's offerings? Goodness knows it has been an ordeal to even get wine poured lately, so taking extra time seeking descriptions and suggestions will leave others waiting even longer, and... well, you get the idea.

Our next cruise is on another line.

Two@Sea, I have seen many thoughtful posts from you over the years, so I do understand your point about process (less straightforward, more time-consuming, more intensive for staff). But can't the same be said of cruisers who lug cases of wine or other beverages onboard for their own consumption? Their boarding process is less straightforward (because they've got to get the bubbly etc. on with them), more time-consuming (for the cruisers who must wait while they struggle with the cases) and more intensive for staff (many of whom must be called upon to take the cases to the room).

I understand that most posters here will be taking one or two bottles, not cases. However, I think you've raised an interesting angle.

Or not :)

On our only HAL cruise so far, we had a bottle of wine with dinner each of the 11 nights we were on board. Five of those were bottles we brought with us. We expected to pay corkage, and we were charged it each time.

Our main reason for bringing some of our own wine aboard for the dining room was based on looking at the wine list ahead of time. Although there were some very nice selections on the HAL list at a price we thought was fair, we also like to have something different each night. We didn't find enough choices that appealed to us without repeating, so we decided to supplement the HAL wine list with some we brought.

My other reason for bringing some wine has nothing to do with availability or cost. We drink mostly Cabernet and Pinot Noir, and I don't like my red wine served at room temperature. Bringing my own to the dining room allows me to chill it a little bit before dinner, to try to approximate it being taken out of a wine cellar.:) I know if you don't drink a lot of red wine it probably sounds silly, but it works for me!

Two@Sea, I have seen many thoughtful posts from you over the years, so I do understand your point about process (less straightforward, more time-consuming, more intensive for staff). But can't the same be said of cruisers who lug cases of wine or other beverages onboard for their own consumption? Their boarding process is less straightforward (because they've got to get the bubbly etc. on with them), more time-consuming (for the cruisers who must wait while they struggle with the cases) and more intensive for staff (many of whom must be called upon to take the cases to the room).

I understand that most posters here will be taking one or two bottles, not cases. However, I think you've raised an interesting angle.

I can't remember ever being held up by someone wheeling carry-on luggage. And aren't most of the wine cases not being shipped as carry-on? You are drifting from being a preacher to scrambling for a reason to find an excuse. You are failing. Give it up. You don't agree with us and you are struggling to excuse yourself.

I would suggest the following to HAL. Go to a policy where they charge a fee for EVERY bottle brought on board. It would:

• Still generate revenue
  • alleviate the practice of people bringing their one glass of wine from their room to the MDR to avoid a fee. Then nobody would have to be concerned with where that glass of wine came from, because it had the fee applied to it.
  • Eliminate the need for the wine stewards in the MDR from having to apply the corkage fee. That would also eliminate a wine steward from unfairly waving the fee for anyone.
  • People could bring wine on from any port and pay the fee.

I would also suggest forbidding people from putting a luggage tag on a case of wine, and make them carry it on, might eliminate some of the cases of wine being brought on board. Destroy any wine found in checked luggage, wine must be carried on for processing.

In all of my cruising life, I have never, ever, ever been delayed in boarding because of someone's wine. That's just plain ridiculous. Give it up. You have nothing, including any real stake in this issue.

Archived