After two HAL cruises...

mnolan770

We're coming back to Celebrity. After two great spring cruises on Solstice and Eclipse, we spent two springs with HAL. First in a suite on Westerdam and next in an outside on Nieuw Amsterdam. We're a mid 40s couple and really enjoyed Celebrity. But the HAL pricing sucked us in. When pricing a December cruise, I was almost sucked back in to HAL. Their prices are great. But in the end, price isn't everything and Celebrity Silhouette is going to win out. Looking forward to our first cruise on Silhouette and our return to Celebrity.

Great question. Of course, this is just my opinion. And if I posted this on the HAL board, I'm sure I would get beat up.

1. Median age - We are of the low end of Celebrity cruises. But we felt out of place on HAL cruises. Even in the Caribbean.

2. General level of service - X just seems to have better overall customer service. The HAL folks are nice, but X has set a pretty high bar for sub-luxury cruises.

3. The freakin buffet - the layout and quality is just so much better.

4. Food - food quality is good on HAL. But better on X.

5 . Indoor pool - I like the indoor pool area on S class ships.

6. Room decor - the X ships have classy rooms.

Welcome back to X!

For those that are also thinking about sailing on HAL, what were the factors that brought you back to Celebrity?

I know people love the Promenade but I would never bother using it. Sorry Tried walking around a couple of times and got bored silly. It's like walking along a tunnel. So many other lovely places to sit and watch the ocean (especially the aft or the Sky Lounge) that it is a non issue with me. But I know it's huge on Princess and HAL

To the OP - you will love the Silhouette - we had an incredible time on her in June on the Med!

HAL's version of The Alcoves is 100 times better than Celebrity. And their disembarkation was the best of any line. But after that, Celebrity wins hands down in every other category. Better food and service, better specialties, ships that aren't dark and boring and a great no smoking policy.

I am a NOORDAM fan, last occasion was Feb this year.

Hal's positives are Promenade Deck, 8.00pm dinner, Speciality Coffee, more deck space per head, Best restaurant afloat (Pinnacle Grill)

It's negatives are constant painting crews, Poor MDR Food, toilet problems, noisy veranda doors (forever whistling), smoking policy, recent modifications.

HAL has lost the plot with its cost cutting measures and wish we could turn the clocks back, but Celebrity will be my choice for the present. Although from my recent experience aboard the Equinox, I believe they are chasing the dollar too hard and becoming too petty.

In reality I like both for different reasons and probably will continue to enjoy both, as they say a change is as good as a rest.

I know people love the Promenade but I would never bother using it. Sorry Tried walking around a couple of times and got bored silly. It's like walking along a tunnel. So many other lovely places to sit and watch the ocean (especially the aft or the Sky Lounge) that it is a non issue with me. But I know it's huge on Princess and HAL

To the OP - you will love the Silhouette - we had an incredible time on her in June on the Med!

Don't apologize about not enjoying HAL's Promenade deck -- if you are not on it, there is more room for me! :) Sitting and watching the sea is what we do in the early evening in the Crow's Nest (bow lounge), all dressed for dinner. The Promenade (for me) is for morning (or afternoon) exercising, breathing sea air, enjoying sea breezes as well as lovely cloud formations, approaching storms, beautiful island coastlines and interesting passing ships, observing flying fish scooting by and dolphins jumping, and watching the wake. Also for romantic, hand-in-hand evening strolls in the moonlight, and nighttime ship-gazing.

Hmmm, I wish I were there right now...

I agree with most of what all of you have said. Definitely prefer Celebrity for all the above reasons, as well as I really enjoy AQ and Blu on Celebrity. But HAL had some great things, most of all the half price happy hour drinks every evening in the Crows Nest. Loved that-what a view-with lots of friendly people. The crew on HAL were really sweet people. And, please don't flame me here, but we found the other passengers, especially the Cruise Critic group, to be friendlier. (Maybe it was the half price happy hour drinks:D). I will accept the fact that it could just be the particular cruises and threads we have been on. But I have never been flamed on a HAL CC board!

HAL's greatest attraction, to us, is the diversity of its itineraries.

I wish that Celebrity would offer the wide variety of itineraries that HAL does.

It's the number of ships. HAL has 15 and Celebrity has 10 (not counting Expedition)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We only sailed on HAL one time and I forgot to mention that in my first post. It was on the old Westerdaam, after it was stretched. The two things that I really liked was the dedicated movie theater that had reclining seats and the fact that they always had a Catholic priest on board.

Would consider again but as I posted don't like the smoking issue and we get great perks on X for being Elite. Hope that they don't change it.

X does have Catholic Priests and other denominations during the Holy Days so that is also a plus.

Yes, but HAL has that heavenly Promenade deck....ahhhh....

I have sailed on both Celebrity Infinity and HAL Zuiderdam. Liked the former, loved the latter.

It's funny, just today DH and I were discussing cruises and we both agreed that Zuiderdam was the ugliest ship we had ever been on, although it was a close run contest with Norwegian Jewel. We had a good cruise on Zuiderdam, but the smoking policy makes Celebrity attractive to us, and we prefer the minimalistic decor of S class. If they just had a promenade deck they would be perfect!!

Sheila

Been on X over 20 times.Tried HAL 14N several years ago. It was a floating nursing home with food to match. Not one passenger said hello in the whole trip. The Asian waiters did not know beans about the food ad could care less. Only ship I was glad to leave.

Great question. Of course, this is just my opinion. And if I posted this on the HAL board, I'm sure I would get beat up.

1. Median age - We are of the low end of Celebrity cruises. But we felt out of place on HAL cruises. Even in the Caribbean.

2. General level of service - X just seems to have better overall customer service. The HAL folks are nice, but X has set a pretty high bar for sub-luxury cruises.

My 2 cents.

What we found on Celebrity Eclipse after HAL Eurodam on our B2B Caribbean cruise.

1. Age - same. However, it does not matter. We never feel out of place on a good ship. Our cruisemates are the ship and the sea.

2. Level of service - same, as on all cruise lines from Costa to Cunard.

"Service" has to be defined. If limited to waiters/stewards/customer service - same.

Service as a whole thing includes ships amenities - Eurodam wins hands down.

3. Buffet - whatever layout is - both full when full. Food - significantly better on Eurodam.

4. Food quality overall - better on the Eurodam.

Buffet wins totally.

MDR similar.

Specialties are slightly better on the Eclipse.

Afternoon tea - why not serve proper afternoon tea on a "sub-luxury cruise line" (Celebrity)!?

5. Spa - Eurodam wins hands down.

120,000 GT "sub-luxury" Eclipse does not have hydropool (90,000 GT Eurodam has it).

6. After heavenly spacious open decks on Eurodam we found ourselves on the overcrowded Eclipse.

7. The Eclipse does not have a separate open pool area for adults - something unacceptable for "sub-luxury cruise line".

8. Covered pool on the Eclipse is obviously more impressive, but we don't use covered pools in the Caribbean.

9. A real highlight of the Eclipse - The Hot Glass Show. Nothing of the kind is available on the Eurodam.

10. Sports court on the Eurodam is twice as large as on the Eclipse.

Other notes:

11. Ships decor: a fancy hotel (Eclipse) vs classic cruise ship (Eurodam).

Things we enjoyed most of all on the Eurodam:

- aft pool for adults

- hydropool in spa

- very private sun deck

- second best wrap-around promenade deck at sea

- proper aternoon tea

...were... attention please!.. not worse, they were absent (!) on the "sub-luxury" Eclipse (Celebrity best ship BTW).

When is my next cruise on Celebrity?

Mmmmm...

Please don't tell me that I don't like Celebrity.

I will answer that I don't like HAL.

Neither of them are my relatives.

I prefer better ships - no matter what cruise line they belong to.

“Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests.”

Agree, with all above except feel that HAL has better service.

I agree with most of what all of you have said. Definitely prefer Celebrity for all the above reasons, as well as I really enjoy AQ and Blu on Celebrity. But HAL had some great things, most of all the half price happy hour drinks every evening in the Crows Nest. Loved that-what a view-with lots of friendly people. The crew on HAL were really sweet people. And, please don't flame me here, but we found the other passengers, especially the Cruise Critic group, to be friendlier. (Maybe it was the half price happy hour drinks:D). I will accept the fact that it could just be the particular cruises and threads we have been on. But I have never been flamed on a HAL CC board!

Have you been on the HAL board recently? Talk about flaming...it is a virtual meltdown over the new wine policy, non-working plumbing, no hot water showers...etc. It is ugly over there right now.

Have you been on the HAL board recently? Talk about flaming...it is a virtual meltdown over the new wine policy, non-working plumbing, no hot water showers...etc. It is ugly over there right now.

No, I haven't been on that board since my last cruise with HAL. I'll have to go over and eavesdrop.:)

It's the number of ships. HAL has 15 and Celebrity has 10 (not counting Expedition)
While it is true that HAL has more ships than Celebrity, it is not just the number of ships.

It is where their ships go and the routes they take.

Royal Caribbean has even more ships in its fleet than HAL, but Royal Caribbean does not offer HAL's unique itineraries.

Most likely we will continue to cruise on all three of them, as well as other cruise lines, for different reasons at different times.

So we don't view it as "coming back" to Celebrity because we don't ever give up Celebrity.

To us it is more like wanting different ice-cream flavors or different kinds of wine at different times.

One of the things that I found that Celebrity does extremely well is their wine program. Having sailed Eclipse and experienced the Wine Cellars venue, HAL has nothing to compare with the venue nor the programs offered via this venue. The Wine Stewards are very knowledgeable, the wine tastings are done well and are entertaining, and was a highlight of my 2013 Winter cruise on Eclipse.

Service throughout the ship: deck, lounges, cabin, dining room--were as good as HAL.

Specialty Restaurants: Tuscan Grill and Murano's beats anything I have ever experienced in a Pinnacle Grill Restaurant.

Decor: very modern; almost too modern for my taste.

Stateroom lacked storage space (whomever thought standing on the bed in order to make full use of the storage cabinets above the bed must have had too many glasses of Savuginon Blanc's that night). The shower door that enclosed the space was most appreciated. And, soaps and shampoos provided were of excellent quality.

Main Dining Room Menu selections for all categories were fewer than HAL; cuisine, while on board, I thought was good. Upon reflection: not as good as HAL. The last two Main Dining Room dinners on Eclipse were not good. Never experienced that on HAL.

Do not like the Oceanview Cafe arrangement. Even after 14 days, I could never remember where the items were that I wanted! Not an issue on HAL.

Late Riser's Breakfast on Eclipse far exceeds the equivalent on any HAL ship that I have experienced. Wide choices, including hot entrees were available, and I appreciated that greatly!

Excellent Cruise Director: Sue Denning. But, the ship's Greek Master, who was the take-out Master for the Eclipse, was extraordinarily difficult to understand in his P.A. annoucements and was a no-show on the Bridge for the Behind the Scenes Tour. (Very disappointing in comparison to Holland America's and Carnival's ships' Masters during such tours.)

Major, major negative: the terminal at Port Everglades where all Celebrity ships dock except for Equinox: Terminal 24 is totally inadequate to handle the disembarking passengers while the embarking passengers are arriving. Disembarking guests' luggage end up in Terminal 25 which requires a very long walk and long, snaking lines in order to get to where the luggage is. Then, long, snaking lines to get through Customs and Immigration. Need a taxi? Is there a ship at Terminal 21? You will join a long line of people from both ships waiting for a taxi. Have a car at the Mid-Port Parking Garage, as I did? I needed a porter to help take my luggage to the car. With such a poor disembarkation, which differs from a HAL Terminal 26 disembarkation, I would have trouble making another Celebrity booking.

Thanks for this post. I've been on 3 HAL cruises, and this September is my first on X. Wife and I are early 40's cruisers. And, thank you also for alerting me about the wine policy change on HAL.

I had a bit of an affinity to HAL merely because I could bring in wine by the case and enjoy it how I saw fit. Now that that's gone, this will even up and keep me from skewing my opinions on X when I sail with her in a month.

We've only taken one HAL cruise (Westerdam) and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Itinerary sent us to HAL for that cruise and a great deal on a suite. Aside from the smoking policies, I found HAL and Celebrity to be very close in all aspects of a cruise.

My DH and I have been on 4 HAL cruises and have enjoyed them all. We are set for our first Celebrity cruise this November on Reflection and can't wait. I really had no real negatives on HAL and would sail her again. We enjoyed good service, nice ships, good food, and great embarkation and debarkation. We also enjoyed the itinerary. I do have to say though the medium age of the passengers was a bit higher. I think on one we went in January to the Mexican Rivera, we were probably the youngest of the bunch.

That being said, we are so so looking forward to Celebrity. Have heard so many great things about this line that we are anxious to compare. We have also sailed RCCL, Carnival (not our fav) and NCL. We are enjoyed RCCL and NCL, but enjoyed HAL so much more. There seemed to be a lot of areas to relax and enjoy. We always found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

Again, though I can't wait for our Reflection cruise!

Archived