I wear men's clothes

No, I'm not homosexual, nor am I trying to look like a man....I buy and wear a lot of men's clothing because I prefer the way it's made and the way it fits, and because I can't find a lot of what I like to wear in women's clothing.

My question to you is: If you are a woman who wears some clothing made for men (or if you've considered it), would you be embarrassed to tell strangers or acquaintances (or friends) that you do?

I ask because I was out with my stepmother yesterday, helping my father get some clothes at Tilley's, and while we were waiting with the salesman she mention how much my father likes those clothes because he has particular tastes in material and style that he has trouble finding in other places. I chimed in that I fully understand because I am the same, and in my search for spandex-free and cotton clothing, I have taken to buying all my pants and a lot of my tops from the men's department, and then getting them altered. I said it was easier for women to buy from the men's department than the other way around :) My stepmother commented later that I obviously had a lot of self confidence because I didn't hesitate to tell this stranger that I wore men's clothing, and she didn't know any other woman who would be so "brave". It never occurred to me I was being brave, LOL.

We're all (or most are) anonymous here, so I'm hoping for honest answers.....I'm wondering if other women who buy men's clothing find it embarrassing or if they would hesitate to tell someone about it.....am I really unusual in my "bravery"? I'm sure there are some situations where I wouldn't want to mention it (say, to the guy I started dating), but in most cases I don't think it would worry me.

Certainly not all my clothes are made for men, though I do find generally that they are higher quality at a lower price :( And, for my skin tone, they often have nicer colours too.

No, I'm not homosexual, nor am I trying to look like a man....I buy and wear a lot of men's clothing because I prefer the way it's made and the way it fits, and because I can't find a lot of what I like to wear in women's clothing.

My question to you is: If you are a woman who wears some clothing made for men (or if you've considered it), would you be embarrassed to tell strangers or acquaintances (or friends) that you do?

I ask because I was out with my stepmother yesterday, helping my father get some clothes at Tilley's, and while we were waiting with the salesman she mention how much my father likes those clothes because he has particular tastes in material and style that he has trouble finding in other places. I chimed in that I fully understand because I am the same, and in my search for spandex-free and cotton clothing, I have taken to buying all my pants and a lot of my tops from the men's department, and then getting them altered. I said it was easier for women to buy from the men's department than the other way around :) My stepmother commented later that I obviously had a lot of self confidence because I didn't hesitate to tell this stranger that I wore men's clothing, and she didn't know any other woman who would be so "brave". It never occurred to me I was being brave, LOL.

We're all (or most are) anonymous here, so I'm hoping for honest answers.....I'm wondering if other women who buy men's clothing find it embarrassing or if they would hesitate to tell someone about it.....am I really unusual in my "bravery"? I'm sure there are some situations where I wouldn't want to mention it (say, to the guy I started dating), but in most cases I don't think it would worry me.

Certainly not all my clothes are made for men, though I do find generally that they are higher quality at a lower price :( And, for my skin tone, they often have nicer colours too.

It never occurred to me to consider buying men's clothes but you do have some great reasoning. (Oh, except I occasionally wore my ex-husband's button-up shirts as overshirts when I was married, and back in my youth we all wore men's Levi's because they didn't make women's sizes.) But I would certainly not be ashamed to admit that I did--maybe it's a generational thing to think that is brave?

I don't wear men's clothing as it wouldn't fit me well--I am slender and curvy. That said, if it fit me better than women's clothing I would, why not? I wouldn't go around talking about it though, just doesn't seem to be any reason to discuss it generally speaking.

I buy men's shirts a lot because I hate the tight fit across my shoulders that almost all women's shirts give me. Plus, men's shirts don't have those awful small cap sleeves that many women's shirts do.

I'm proud of my arms and shoulders and love sleeveless, tanks, and small capped sleeves. To each their own. :)

One famous woman who proudly wore mens' wear-style clothing was the 1940s and 1950s actress Katherine Hepburn. I don't know if she was wearing women's clothing tailored in the style of men's clothing or if her clothes were actual men's clothes. For a time she dated Howard Hughes before he became the notorious eccentirc recluse.

I'm proud of my arms and shoulders and love sleeveless, tanks, and small capped sleeves. To each their own. :)

I'm proud of mine, too, but I don't like the feel of cap sleeves. I also go sleeveless and wear tanks.

I have ordered the boys oxfords (usually boys 16 or 18) from L@nds $nd, as well as boys polo-type shirts. Sometimes the colors are more to my liking. I also have some men's college t's because I wanted the college colors, not a pink one. And sometimes the boys are cheaper than the same thing in women's!

Can't wear mens/boys pants as they won't fit over these hips!

Not brave, just practical,

M

I don't wear men's clothing but were I to decide to buy some, I would have no issue making it known. If I wore something a friend commented on, I am sure I would tell them I bought it in men's/boys department if that, indeed, was the case.

I've only bought sweats and occasionally sneakers. I'm tall and for some reason men's sweatpants seem to run longer than women's do. When I wear them I don't think anybody knows the difference - nobody has ever asked.

I have big feet and sometimes women's sneakers in my size don't fit as well as a men's sneaker in a smaller size. I also recently bought some Nike flip flops (just a plain old black flip flop with the nike logo on it) on sale but they were in the women's section and I didn't realize it till the receipt listed it as a "men's sandal". Guess I wasn't embarrassed in this case because I didn't know until after the fact, but when I bought those sweats and sneakers I didn't care what anybody thought. Heck my hubby was with me a couple of those times, and he was like whatever. Never thought it was brave or not brave, just is what it is.

Do whatever makes you feel good, look good, and feel comfortable. Nobody else's opinion really matters and anybody who would dare ask you directly (unless they're interested in purchasing the item) has way too much time on their hands and I'd hit ignore on them :)

No worries, who cares? I'm a tall, bold woman, and I wore men's clothes for years. I finally quit when I got tired of being called Sir, Mister, how are you two gentlemen doing (this from a cruise with my hubby) he was not pleased. I still wear mens jeans and pants, but have switched to really feminine shirts in bright colors and large earrings. 40 years of being called a man was enough. Surprising too, because I have giant kazooms..

My husband is relieved and likes me in girly clothes, it took me awhile to get used to them but I have.

As long as mens clothes fit you well, go for it, nobodys business anyway. Comfort is the main point.

I buy children's clothing sometimes. If people ask where I get my clothes, I'll tell them, and I'm not embarrassed about it.

But menswear and unisex clothing is very popular right now. Lots of girls wear the men's Polo tees (because the women's polo tees are basically made for boys... they stretch across the chest and aren't really fitted in the waist, so what's the point?) and the crafty girls fashion men's shirts into dresses. I don't think wearing men's clothing is a big deal.

I would have no trouble telling someone that I bought men's clothes (if I did). Sometimes when I receive a comment on something that I bought at a thrift store, I will tell the person where I bought it. And then afterward I realize that I don't need to share so much information with everyone.

Guest fyree39

I buy my work jeans in Kmart in the men's department. I know my exact size and just pull them off the shelf. Cheaper, too! I can't do that with any women's jeans. I have to try them on first. I usually come away with nothing. I have a waist, people! Quit making pants too big in the waist!

So you're not wearing items that blatantly scream "MALE", right? We're not talking about big, heavy construction boots and flannel shirts? I'm assuming this because -- if so -- people wouldn't have to ask whether they were men's things. You're wearing things that are kind of uni-sex. I'm guessing tees or sweatshirts or jeans that aren't outright "MALE" but are bought in the men's department, right?

If I'm reading this right, I'm kind of surprised that people would be interested in where you bought such basic items. If you don't want to 'fess up -- thought I personally see no problem with being forthright about it -- I'd suggest being elusive:

This? Oh, where did I get it? Somewhere at the mall. You know how those places all run together.

Oh, I've had it so long. I can't even remember.

Sorry, I don't know. It was a gift, and I don't know where it was bought.

Oh, I found this at the thrift store. Isn't it a great find? I do so love not paying "new" prices!

I don't wear men's clothing as it wouldn't fit me well--I am slender and curvy. That said, if it fit me better than women's clothing I would, why not? I wouldn't go around talking about it though, just doesn't seem to be any reason to discuss it generally speaking.

Ditto!

You're wearing things that are kind of uni-sex. I'm guessing tees or sweatshirts or jeans that aren't outright "MALE" but are bought in the men's department, right?

Yeah - casual chinos, t-shirts, or jeans. Unisex clothing that is from the men's department.

It's ironic that my curves are part of the reason that women's pants don't fit me either - I'm curvier than they are. It took me years and years to find a tailor who can properly alter pants to fit me, and since I'd need to get either men's or women's pants tailored, I'd rather buy the 100% cotton ones that are better made, regardless of whether they were originally made for men :)

I frequently shop in the men's department and if I hear someone struggling with a problem that could be solved by doing the same, I speak up (for instance, I'm a plus sized gal with no hips-- guys jeans fit me perfectly!) and offer the suggestion.

If someone asks where I got the great looking/fitting clothing item, I tell the truth. I wear one of my boyfriend's Hawaiian shirts and he loves to say "doesn't she look great in my shirt?"

Rock on!

I can and do buy some kid's shoes. Unless I tell somebody, they have no idea. Beyond the occassional unisex t-shirt, I don't really buy men's clothes just because I have hips and a small waist. Plus, I prefer girly styles. Men's clothes aren't made for my shape!

I don't see why it's any big deal though if they fit your shape and style.

This topic brings to mind Ellen DeGeneris (I'm not sure I spelled that correctly). She definitely wears a mens' wear look. I don't know if her clothing is actual mens' clothing or if it is specially designed and tailored for her or if she wears women's clothing that has a mens' wear appearance.

Ralph Lauren's clothing often has a mens' wear basis but with little touches and details that give it a feminine feel. LL Bean offers many clothing styles that are unisex except for the sizing and colors. For example, some of their polo shirts are offered in a few colors only for women and a few colors only for men. Of course, popular colors such as navy blue, white and some stripes are offered to both men and women.

For me I don't care if a woman is wearing all men's wear, some mens' wear pieces or all womens' wear. It just doesn't matter to me. I don't see it as taboo to borrow from the men.

This year, I bought several of the men's cargo shorts from American Eagle. They are perfect for golf. Some of the ladies shorts are too short for my taste. I told everyone who asked and some of my friends bought guy's shorts, too.

I typically purchase polo shirts I wear to work in the men's department along with t-shirts, shorts and exercise clothes. I am plus sized and find the fit better from the men's department and I can get these items cheaper and of a better quality than those found in the women's department.

My shape doesn't do well with the Tapered "Fitted" shape of a lot of women's casual clothing and I don't like the thinner material used on women's polo shirts and t-shirts that can cost 2x more than the men's. I can never find Plus size exercise clothes, I guess they don't think we go to the gym too.

By George, y'all have given me some ideas. I have all the LLBean plus size women's tshirts. They only have so many colors. I'm going to dig my catalog back out of the recycle bin and check out the men's. free shipping and free returns if I use my cc, it 's a win win. I do wear men's Reeboks. I fall between two women's sizes and the men's fit. When my daughter was a teenager, she and her friends all wore men's Jockey briefs. She said they were way more comfortable.

I wonder if someone took a poll how many of us "cross dress"!!!!

Archived