Why is an aft cabin so good?

Esilef

Just wondering why these are now becoming prime cabins on ship on the newer boats they are becoming suites & above.

IMHO, they're nothing to write home about. We had one on the Indy and I wouldn't want another. Soot on the chairs and balcony every morning, rumbling and noise as the ship docks in port and wakes you up - no thanks. Not for me. Not again.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

We have had many corner aft cabins on many ships and love them all. Most of the balconies are big and roomy along with very little wind. During hurricane Sandy with 85 mph winds across the bow and 28 foot seas we sat quietly on our balcony without getting blown away since very little wind. Some have better coverage for sun and some no coverage whatsoever so they is a difference between ships and location. The walk is not that bad even though at times it seems long compared to on the hump. Quiet hallways and very little noise inside and out. The ride and motion in the aft is in my opinion smoother than other areas and the only vibrations were in docking with high thrusters when needed. If you like to use balcony, have a quiet location without wind then you may also like an aft cabin. One time we had a problem on an OLDER ship with some soot/dirt and I believe it was a day we were tendering to an island and trying to hold position. Otherwise always clean, calm, quiet and relaxing view both side and aft so no need to miss something if you are on the "wrong side" of the ship. The pole rooms are GREAT and even the porthole rooms (no sliding door to balcony) are nice. But I do like waking up to that aft ocean view in the morning.

You mention Enchantment. That was the ship with the worst soot that we ever encountered. Big black puff balls and without realizing it, we tracked it onto the carpet, made a mess for the steward. Most ships we never have any. Radiance class is especially nice (probably because it's engines are different).

Weird. We were on Enchantment in January - corner aft, 7666. No problems with soot at all. We booked corner aft on the Grandeur for next January....hoping it's the same. :o

Yes, the balconies are larger on the aft cabins, but they have a tunnel-like feel which I do not like at all (very long and narrow). I know lot of folks love them and that's great...to each his/her own ! :D

We have our first Aft Balcony in less than 40 days on Jewel (but who's counting :rolleyes:) can't wait.

I have been scouring the reviews looking for any photos and such of the Radiance balconies....

Have to admit, I am a little nervous about movement or vibration, but am hoping it is as great as it looks!!!

So to aid to my CC addiction, please continue to post all the great photos!!!

Karen

I just got back from my cruise in an aft cabin on Splendour of the Seas. I can say the aft was wonderful!

What cabin did you have? We're booked next year with cabin 7140 on Splendour for a Med cruise and it's difficult to find reviews. I'm not sure how the old cabin numbering worked or if would even if those reviews would be comparable. I'm not looking to change cabins, I'm just looking for as much information as possible. Thanks!

Has anyone ever stayed in corner aft 8410 or 8710 on Freedom class? I've read that it has a door instead of a slider. I was just wondering if the room itself is large enough to hold three and if the balcony view is or isn't blocked by the aft superstructure. Any reviews or pics would be great.

Has anyone ever stayed in corner aft 8410 or 8710 on Freedom class? I've read that it has a door instead of a slider. I was just wondering if the room itself is large enough to hold three and if the balcony view is or isn't blocked by the aft superstructure. Any reviews or pics would be great.

Had the room above on Freedom 9704 same size room and 8710 had a little larger balcony. See pictures above with door and Porthole. Just about the same Voyager or Freedom Class. I will se if I have room pics.

Explorer 9690 corner aft the porthole

I had this cabin booked for my Dec. cruise on the Explorer, but when I saw that 7688 became available a couple weeks ago, I jumped on it. I really wanted more shade. I can't tolerate a lot of sun, but would have kept it if I had to. Can't wait to experience an aft cabin for the first time. ;)

Gwen :)

Maybe it depends on how you like to spend your time. I love aft cabins because:

I want to spend every minute I can outside, especially if it's winter way up north here. With the lounger (instead of just a chair) I can stretch out, read my book and snooze outdoors if I want. I don't care if it's cool - it seems warm to me - I just wrap myself in towels. I don't care if it's night, I want to be outside, even in my pyjamas.

I have to avoid the sun (too much tanning abuse early in life). Some part of an aft cabin is usually in the shade at any time of the day.

I love room service, and my great pleasure is breakfasting and lunching on the balcony. Larger balcony, easier to eat there.

But these are my particular habits. If you only want to drop out on your balcony occasionally for a short time, probably doesn't matter. Me? I pretty much live on the balcony!

IMHO, they're nothing to write home about. We had one on the Indy and I wouldn't want another. Soot on the chairs and balcony every morning, rumbling and noise as the ship docks in port and wakes you up - no thanks. Not for me. Not again.

Good to know, one less person I have to fight with to get those aft cabins. :D :p

Bill

We have our first Aft Balcony in less than 40 days on Jewel (but who's counting :rolleyes:) can't wait.

I have been scouring the reviews looking for any photos and such of the Radiance balconies....

Have to admit, I am a little nervous about movement or vibration, but am hoping it is as great as it looks!!!

So to aid to my CC addiction, please continue to post all the great photos!!!

Karen

Karen,

Which cabin do you have? We had 1602 and loved it. Only little grumble was the early morning scrapping of the chairs in the outdoor lounge right above us but it was still a terrific cabin.

Bill

u9y6azut.jpg

Karen,

Which cabin do you have? We had 1602 and loved it. Only little grumble was the early morning scrapping of the chairs in the outdoor lounge right above us but it was still a terrific cabin.

Bill

u9y6azut.jpg

Bill - we have 9660.....love your photo...thanks for posting.

Karen

What cabin did you have? We're booked next year with cabin 7140 on Splendour for a Med cruise and it's difficult to find reviews. I'm not sure how the old cabin numbering worked or if would even if those reviews would be comparable. I'm not looking to change cabins, I'm just looking for as much information as possible. Thanks!

I was in 7638. If I could figure out how to post a picture on here, I would post one of my cabin and balcony. I am pretty sure 7140 is identical. It really was great with a nice open view. And for the sail away from Venice (if that is where you are leaving) you will love it. Heck, it was fantastic the entire time! Just look for soot before sitting down. But honestly, when it is there it is small chunks so all you have to do is turn the chair/lounge on the side and brush it off. You don't even need to wash it.

Let me attempt to post some pics...

Balcony.jpg.95cd894ecdaed6a829880e39a112d414.jpg

Room.jpg.a3a42ad08ed9da75b5009d4e8d5d8e47.jpg

Wakeview.jpg.79782cce63692c308139857e6e1c2d22.jpg

Did you bring that with you or is it always there. It looks devine!

We brought the hammock with us. DH found it it on Amazon - it had to be lightweight since we were flying to/from the cruise. He left it in place for the whole cruise, though. It was great!

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

We've only had one aft, and it was the mother of all afts: Freedom class, deck 7, corner aft. I would take that again in a heartbeat!

But, I do have to say that I would never book deck 6 freedom class, (even the family suite). Deck 6 sticks out proud from deck 7, so those on deck 7 can just look down, and see about 1/3 of the balcony on deck 6. That's a deal breaker for me.