Why is an aft cabin so good?

Esilef

We got back for Bermuda last week 10-11-13 until 10-17-2013 and had an aft balcony 7654. The balcony was great the room not so much. The beds were HORRIBLE. they were much lower than i remember. We could not store our suitcases under it, and they felt thin. Our TA was supposed to book 7650,7652,7654,7656 but she messed up and didnt get 7652. So mu cousin got 7156 i think. We asked our Stateroom attendant to open the balcony doors and he said we couldn't. It was a safety issue. The doors were locked by string and a folded towel. We had a good amount of sun but one day it was HOT out there.

We always booked the aft cabins for many, many years,,,,3 couples across the back....it was amazing,,,,then the cruise line( Carnival ) caught on and increased the prices:(..............the small balcony on the side of the ship just isn't the same!! We never had any trouble with noise or soot,,,we have had more problems like that with the side of ship balcony space. We never minded the walk at all,,,,with a little planning (and a few stops) on the way back to your room,,,it isn't bad at all! :) Started sailing the late 70s and have gone every year since,,at least once a year,,sometimes more....will never get tired of it what a great vacation it is!

I agree with the above. Quiet location, less ship movement, great views, and if you're in an area with a lot of suites you will likely get a more experienced stateroom attendant.

EDIT: ...I'll go ahead and post the pic yet again :) If you can snag 1400 or 1700 on a Freedom Class Ship, this is your morning coffee view...

1400_ahh.jpg

I was in the Navy on an aircraft carrier and aft IS NOT better

• 4 months later...

Wondering if anyone knows much about the AFT D catagory cabin balcony's on the Serenade OTS? We're sailing in J/S 1100 next Jan....

But looking to do a B2B (21 days) on her Feb 2016.... Can't justify the cost of the J/S on these sailings, so wondering if the AFT D catagory balcony's are larger than the one's on the sides of the ship??

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wondering if anyone knows much about the AFT D catagory cabin balcony's on the Serenade OTS? We're sailing in J/S 1100 next Jan....

But looking to do a B2B (21 days) on her Feb 2016.... Can't justify the cost of the J/S on these sailings, so wondering if the AFT D catagory balcony's are larger than the one's on the sides of the ship??

Thanks!

We sailed in an aft balcony 9660 on sister ship Brilliance last year and it was a very large, deep balcony with 2 loungers, 2 regular chairs and a table. The center view of the wake was amazing and the balcony had a nice overhang so lots of shade. The further decks you go down, the smaller the balconies will be on the aft. But I think they will be all larger than your standard port side balconies with exception to some of the hump ones. Enjoy! We love the Radiance class ships!

BTW: We are on the Serenade Med 12 night sailing the end of May and will be staying in 1100 so will keep her "tidy" for you!

Dolfans from Miami

Edited by dolfans0704

We sailed in an aft balcony 9660 on sister ship Brilliance last year and it was a very large, deep balcony with 2 loungers, 2 regular chairs and a table. The center view of the wake was amazing and the balcony had a nice overhang so lots of shade. The further decks you go down, the smaller the balconies will be on the aft. But I think they will be all larger than your standard port side balconies with exception to some of the hump ones. Enjoy! We love the Radiance class ships!

BTW: We are on the Serenade Med 12 night sailing the end of May and will be staying in 1100 so will keep her "tidy" for you!

Dolfans from Miami

Well! Just booked a corner aft on the Serenade for B2B cruises (8168) in 2016. The center 1102 cabin was available, but thought the corner aft would be larger! Plus that would have been directly under the windjammer outdoor patio.... Felt like there may be a privacy issue. Oh well! We're booked, I'm happy! Thanks again!

Well! Just booked a corner aft on the Serenade for B2B cruises (8168) in 2016. The center 1102 cabin was available, but thought the corner aft would be larger! Plus that would have been directly under the windjammer outdoor patio.... Felt like there may be a privacy issue. Oh well! We're booked, I'm happy! Thanks again!

YAY! Congrats! 8168 is a nice corner aft. My sister in law had it on the Brilliance and really enjoyed the balcony. She said it was just a bit smaller than 9256 (which is her fav) but still very nice! I will see if she has any pics and post them but you probably can find plenty by searching the cabin number. Happy sailing! :)

Dolfans from Miami

You are going to love your aft cabin! Warning...they are addicting!

Dolfans from Miami

YAY! Congrats! 8168 is a nice corner aft. My sister in law had it on the Brilliance and really enjoyed the balcony. She said it was just a bit smaller than 9256 (which is her fav) but still very nice! I will see if she has any pics and post them but you probably can find plenty by searching the cabin number. Happy sailing! :)

Dolfans from Miami

I'm booked on 9256 on Serenade in 2016. Can't wait.

Dolfans from Miami

Oh AWESOME! I'd love to see pics! Thanks!!!

Tried to get 9256 on ANY sailing in 2016.... It was taken on every cruise! I am on the waitlist for it however.

We had this cabin (or maybe it's twin on the other corner) on Jewel(same design as Serenade) and picked it for the same reason. Was worried about WJ noise above and the corner does have lots of space on the balcony. I have bunches of photos of the cabin and balcony in my review Jewel Southern 2013 linked in my signature below.

The thing I DO NOT like about any cabin in the back of the ship are the erratic vibrations. The bed sometimes seems to be vibrating, or shaking when trying to sleep.

Hey in some places that would cost you 4 quarters, don't complain ;)

Great views, quiet location, larger balcony and burn more calories for extra desserts:D

We had one deck 10 on the Mariner and loved it for the 4 of us.

I have to agree with you. We just got off Grandeur and we had cabin 7656 on deck 7. I wished I had taken a pedometer just to see how many steps I took in a day. I made at least 5-6 trips back and forth a day. If we were only going up or down a deck or 2 we took the stairs. I ate way more calories than I am use to and I was brave enough to step on the scale yesterday and I may be only 1-2 lbs. up. Not bad for desserts at lunch and dinner.

We love aft balconies, and we have never experienced any problems with noise, soot, or vibrations. We love the size of the balconies, the increased privacy, the view, and the silence.

The "long walk problem" is rather silly. Once you're in the hallway, the difference between the walk to a near-the-elevator room and an aft cabin is no more than one minute. Admittedly, the ship is big, and getting to the hallway often takes a bit of time. As such, the "long walk means I can eat dessert" excuse is overblown. Walking around the ship or taking the stairs may make a difference, but the distance between an elevator cabin and an aft cabin won't work off more than a dozen or so calories. If you're an able bodied person, the distance is neither a pro nor a con.

We did have one small problem with our aft cabin: Because it has an overhead, and the balconies are kind of cave- like with little wind, if the ship is positioned "just so" and the sun s streaming straight in, the balcony is hot as an oven. However, this happened on perhaps two afternoons on the whole cruise and lasted only an hour or two each time. This did not happen in regular balcony rooms, and I think it is because you get more wind in those rooms.

I do not like hump cabins. Had one once, and although I am a heavy sleeper, heard people walking up and down the hall all week. I came to hate flip flops.

This thread is actually kind of funny - especially those complaining of vibrations. We've had 2 aft cabins on small ships (not RCCL ships) that were fantastic - and vibration only occurred when docking or leaving port- yet the worst vibration we ever experienced on a ship was on the Enchantment in a mid-ship cabin above the stabilizer - when it extended, you could feel your teeth rattle! Granted - this was back in 1998 and I'm sure that's been rectified - but vibrations can be felt anywhere! If you seek privacy and mesmerizing views - get an aft cabin!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had this cabin (or maybe it's twin on the other corner) on Jewel(same design as Serenade) and picked it for the same reason. Was worried about WJ noise above and the corner does have lots of space on the balcony. I have bunches of photos of the cabin and balcony in my review Jewel Southern 2013 linked in my signature below.

THANK YOU!! Loved the review & the pics! I'm even more excited now!

Oh AWESOME! I'd love to see pics! Thanks!!!

Tried to get 9256 on ANY sailing in 2016.... It was taken on every cruise! I am on the waitlist for it however.

:pLynn, ya gotta call the evening they announce the itins for 9256~! I was the first caller on Radiance for our Alaska. That cabin is the bomb! But yours is too...how can you lose on the aft!

dg18p3.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo

:pLynn, ya gotta call the evening they announce the itins for 9256~! I was the first caller on Radiance for our Alaska. That cabin is the bomb! But yours is too...how can you lose on the aft!

dg18p3.jpg

Yea... I needed to "sleep" on the choices after I saw them & just didn't move fast enough. Oh well. We're in the JS 1100 on the Serenade next Jan. So, we'll be able to "peek" at 8168 for the following year. I'm sure I'll be THRILLED with it. All I want is enough room for a lounger.... Just want to lay out there & listen to the water..... Ahhhhhh