Why is an aft cabin so good?

Esilef

Have had many corner aft cabins and never had any noise from the wake, soot, or any problems. The vibrations we have felt a few times but it was minor and didn't bother us at all. We only book corner afts because we like being able to see to the side and to the back. As mentioned before it is very quiet back there compared to a cabin on the side.

It's a really good thing that we don't all love these rooms! I'd never get one booked.:D

Edited by dixieva

A benefit I haven't seen mentioned yet is lack of foot traffic past your cabin door. We've sailed in an aft a few times (and have one booked for March). We love not hearing people talking in the hall or hearing kids running past our door. Sure...it's a walk but IMHO it's worth it. We have never had soot on our balcony and have never noticed excessive engine noise. We DID make the mistake of booking one once on the deck below a Windjammer that had outside seating (Navigator, maybe?). We heard noise from there and wouldn't book that cabin again.

This is one of the reasons I wanted an aft cabin for our upcoming cruise. I prefer a long walk over hallway noise even in hotels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

I am enjoying this thread, I must admit. I've never cruised in an aft cabin before, but I have one booked for Alaska next summer. Not sure I'd care much on another cruise, but I've been to Alaska and I know how prime the balcony space is up on deck. I like knowing I've got a huge balcony all to myself to view the scenery. My only real concern is any extra movement back there, but that's what meds are for. :D

One thing that was of interest to me in booking an aft...less wind. You're protected against it. So many times I've been in a regular balcony room with the wind whipping my face. Seems it's a non-issue (barring any storms, etc. I guess) in an aft cabin.

We had our first aft balcony December of last year. It was a long walk, especially since I have trouble walking very far without resting. But I liked the larger balcony we had.

Lack of wind was my complaint. This was a Caribbean cruise and it was hot and muggy even in December. I actually would have liked some wind to help make it cooler.

We were on the Independence which has cascading balconies aft. Sour looking over our balcony railing we could see down into all the balconies below us. We could also hear all the noises (kids playing, music, doors opening and closing, dishes banging) from all the balconies below us. Not a big deal, but you would not get these noises on a regular balcony room on the side of the ship.

I would take the same room again.

Not for me! That long walk means I don't feel guilty about eating extra desserts. My thinking is that I walk it off after a few trips a day back and forth to my room:).

It would be a problem for anyone with mobility issues.

Edited by dixieva

That LONG walk to the elevators gets old in a hurry! :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

We usually get half way to the elevator and the DW discovers that she forgot something. I get to go back for it. See how it works, we share. She gets to remember and I get to fetch.

We usually get half way to the elevator and the DW discovers that she forgot something. I get to go back for it. See how it works, we share. She gets to remember and I get to fetch.

:D That's why we want our balcony cabin to be as close as possible to the mid-ship elevators!

LuLu

~~~~

We have only had one aft so far, 9690 corner on the Explorer. The best things: amazing views, large balcony accommodating two loungers plus a little table and chairs, and the QUIET!

The only thing we did not like was the lack of a slider door, which was replaced with a hinged glass door. It was heavy and clunky and made for awkward maneuvering to get in and out.

That being said, we would book it again because of the positives.

Teddie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm-all of my afts have had the sliding glass door. I wouldn't like that either.

The view and balcony size helped make up for it, but not entirely.

And there was no soot, no extra engine noise, and no serious vibrations. Besides, DH and I like to experience some creaky noises and vibrations onboard--it reminds us that we are out on the ocean on a very big ship!

Teddie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too funny. I am so guilty of doing this too and its usually just about the time we get to the elevators. Then I start to wonder what is taking him so long.:rolleyes::eek:

Is that 9256? We have 8168 coming up in less than 3 weeks on the Radiance, it's still a D2. :D

Are some of the aft balconies being reclassified as suites on RC ships? I have not heard this, but two previous posts allude to this. I just checked deck plans for Radiance 9256 and it is also still a D2 in all of the available deck plans. We are hoping to score 9256 on an Australian cruise in about 3 years, so would be very disappointed if the price jumps to a JS or higher rate.

We also stayed in FOS 7408 corner aft and absolutely loved it. It's what sold us on corner afts! If we can't get the corner aft, my hubby just assumes to save the money and get an inside.

Thank you both.

It seems that lately some folks are touting how great the aft cabins are...without these reality points. We know of 5-6 people who tried an aft cabin once and will never book one again for all the reasons you've both shared.

Like you....we also prefer a balcony room just forward of center. Steady, quiet, beautiful view. That's what we feel cruising should be all about.

FWIW, some of us actually do report the vibration issues. It does not bother us, as it seems to help us go to sleep.

Nobody is the same, so if vibrations bother you, don't get an aft, especially on a small ship.

None the less, we loved them on the Jewel, Liberty, and Enchantment when we've gotten them. And will do them again and again.

Don't knock them on unless you have tried it.

Actually....have visited 3 aft cabins on 3 different cruises....for extended periods of time with friends on board...

Found them to be far noisier and with far more vibration that further up on the ship - especially entering or departing a port (logical, because the ships engines are working harder for positioning). Even witnessed this firsthand just cruising at night.

We'd never book an aft room based on what we've seen, felt, and heard ourselves.

we have a aft js booked on los for thanksgiving deck 7 cabin 7414 cant wait

bu I cant believe there're tll 2 aft js available on this cruise and they are each side of our cabin I guess since its a holiday some ppl cant go. just wanted to let yall know in case someone is interested in booking one

FWIW, some of us actually do report the vibration issues. It does not bother us, as it seems to help us go to sleep.

Nobody is the same, so if vibrations bother you, don't get an aft, especially on a small ship.

None the less, we loved them on the Jewel, Liberty, and Enchantment when we've gotten them. And will do them again and again.

You mention Enchantment. That was the ship with the worst soot that we ever encountered. Big black puff balls and without realizing it, we tracked it onto the carpet, made a mess for the steward. Most ships we never have any. Radiance class is especially nice (probably because it's engines are different).

You mention Enchantment. That was the ship with the worst soot that we ever encountered. Big black puff balls and without realizing it, we tracked it onto the carpet, made a mess for the steward. Most ships we never have any. Radiance class is especially nice (probably because it's engines are different).

Sure hope we don't have a similar problem on Legend next year. ;)

Sure hope we don't have a similar problem on Legend next year. ;)

It depended a lot on the wind direction. Seemed to happen the most late at night. We started using a towel to wipe things down and we leaned our chairs against the back wall when no in use. We swore that if we ever sailed on her aft again, we would bring a small broom or brush.

I think everyone should stay away from the aft cabins!;)

That way there is more for me!

We love them, been on Freedom (twice), Adventure (twice), Explorer and less than two weeks Legend...all aft!

LOVE THEM....please don't book them! Leave them for me!:D