New propulsion problem on Millennium

cruisestitch

Do the person who asked about the crew. We have talked to quite a few. From what we can tell the professional crew is leaving the ship but the main crew waiters, room attendants etc ate going with the ship to the Bahamas.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

As for those saying Celebrity had no choice but to do people at a rec center for 6 hours today. They dry dock for 5 days and the ship is off for 5 weeks. Doubt 6 hours kills their schedule.

Met two women last night who were getting shafted on flights and betting out on the same flight that they ended up buying their own $400 tickets to Anchorage. Celebrity should be ashamed and should have had executives ensuring this didn't happen.

Give the woman credit for deciding a little money wasn't worth totally ruining a good time.

As for those saying Celebrity had no choice but to do people at a rec center for 6 hours today. They dry dock for 5 days and the ship is off for 5 weeks. Doubt 6 hours kills their schedule.

Met two women last night who were getting shafted on flights and betting out on the same flight that they ended up buying their own $400 tickets to Anchorage. Celebrity should be ashamed and should have had executives ensuring this didn't happen.

Give the woman credit for deciding a little money wasn't worth totally ruining a good time.

I agree...I think the recent reports from the ship and the passengers who have been "evacuated" are painting an appalling picture of poor communication and a total lack of respect for the customers. I'm speechless about sending people to the rec center for the day. I sure hope it's modern and luxurious!:rolleyes:

@cruisestich, we are all sending you so many good thoughts...where is the president of Celebrity...seriously, things are really bad and he needs to become visible...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLBuYqZjABo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUUJTqPyDqe2-wH6xFaFamdg

Not the best timing for Celebrity to post this new video of Mr Bayley.

I don't know what else can be said, but those of us relaxing in our homes, reading about the Millenium, just feel so bad for those of you who had your well-planned vacations turned totally upside down. I can remember my first cruise ever to AK which was in 2008....all the planning trying to make it perfect. To have it cancelled like this would have been a major letdown. For those who have non-refundable tours, please try to reach out to the vendors. Under these circumstances, they might be understanding. It is worth a shot anyway. I do hope those of you on the upcoming cancelled cruises might be able to find another cruise in your timeframe with available cabins. It is worth looking into. Again, so sorry for all the disappointment and lost money many of your are experiencing. I know this is not what you planned for.

Not the best timing for Celebrity to post this new video of Mr Bayley.

Judging from the outer wear, etc I think this was taped several months ago, at various spots around Boston. I've been a Red Sox fan since Ted Williams loped around the bases, and they did announce the Red Sox cruise a couple of months ago. Mr Bayley has missed the chance to have himself & Celebrity on You Tube twice - once with this pre-recorded promotion (probably just being shown in New England) and as a hands on CEO calmly handling the Millie mess.

We think the Capt did a great job of getting the boat back safely to Ketchikan - things only started to go downhill a day after the disorganized corporate folk arrived. Just as the crew does life boat drills, they should have set up practice scenarios for these types of events.

I have a request for Celebrity...I would like it very much if they would stop flooding my e-mail with messages to come and experience modern luxury for a little while.:rolleyes: I tried to, and their ship didn't work!:p

I'd like to lick my wounds for a couple days before I let myself contemplate booking another Celebrity cruise. I'm a little more disgruntled and unhappy about things this morning than I was yesterday -- probably because I was so busy trying to coordinate cancelling and booking stuff yesterday! I'll make decisions for the future after I see how Celebrity responds to all the cancelled and stranded passengers in the coming days/weeks.

I can already state that from my point of view communication is sorely lacking. I found out on Cruise Critic that my cruise was cancelled a full 13 hours before I received direct communication from Celebrity. I had a whole night to think about different options that would work with our schedule. By the time they notified me, I was more than 3 hours into rebooking vacation.

The fact that you got more info here and got it sooner is what keeps me coming to CC. We had a similar experience several years ago when NCL Gem was delayed leaving NY due to an accident in the dry dock.

As of 1 hr ago the rec center posted on facebook now that they will not be hosting millie passengers that other arrangements were made.

These poor people who continue to be pulled in different directions while CEO Michael Bayley is no where to be found!

I just remember we all sat around mocking Carnival a few months ago and I was one of the people saying thank God I sail with Celebrity and this kind of disorganization would never happen at Celebrity....and now look at this mess.

The Carnival CEO was on the scene when Triumph limped back to port......

Its time for Michael Bayley to make some public statements.

I want to hear from the CEO!!!!!

I just remember we all sat around mocking Carnival a few months ago and I was one of the people saying thank God I sail with Celebrity and this kind of disorganization would never happen at Celebrity....and now look at this mess.

The Carnival CEO was on the scene when Triumph limped back to port......

Its time for Michael Bayley to make some public statements.

I want to hear from the CEO!!!!!

What is his deal?????

We are finishing the cruise tour portion of our 8/23 cruise. As I write this, I'm laying in bed in our room in Denali, not sure what to do or what will happen with the day. We have this last day to enjoy Alaska, as tomorrow we head to Anchorage with no idea of where we will be or what we will do while waiting to board our rescheduled red eye to LA. Disappointed, but feeling that Celebrity is doing their best--hoping that everything ruins smoothly with refunds & credits. We are amongst "those people" that did not purchase any insurance & booked thru independent excursion companies. Again, hoping for the best & prepared for problems. I'd like to say it's all fine, but the current situation has created a lot of tension our relationship!

We are finishing the cruise tour portion of our 8/23 cruise. As I write this, I'm laying in bed in our room in Denali, not sure what to do or what will happen with the day. We have this last day to enjoy Alaska, as tomorrow we head to Anchorage with no idea of where we will be or what we will do while waiting to board our rescheduled red eye to LA. Disappointed, but feeling that Celebrity is doing their best--hoping that everything ruins smoothly with refunds & credits. We are amongst "those people" that did not purchase any insurance & booked thru independent excursion companies. Again, hoping for the best & prepared for problems. I'd like to say it's all fine, but the current situation has created a lot of tension our relationship!

So sorry...my sister and her family are in Denali also (from London)...since you are there already, you will receive 100% FCC, while we at home who missed out on all parts of our trip will receive 50% FCC...it's so stressful for all and I'm sure we all agree to send you good thoughts for a stressless trip home!

Regarding the crew.

Most said that they did not expect to be going home.

Every one I spoke to personally said that the passenger arrangements would be made and then, later, crew would receive their instructions but they, for the most part, would probably remain on board

Some seasonal staff, for instance the Fun Factory staff , had already left. Also some gift shop staff.

One waiter I spoke to would have been starting his vacation in a month and he expected that it would start sometime sooner and his next contract would be adjusted accordingly, but he had received no official announcement.

The tipped staff will all be losing gratuities for this time which is a shame.

Some expected that they would be doing lots of cleaning and organizing and the like.

The Activities Staff thought that maybe a couple if them might go to other ships but said it would also be possible that they would stay on board in a sort of limbo...not quite a paid vacation but almost.

I imagine that the Guest Relations team, some of whom worked 18 hour shifts since Monday, will be sleeping in once they get the last Guests off later today.

No doubt he has been told to stay away and make no public comments.

Sorry Ghstudio, I'm not buying that at all. He's the President & CEO of the Cruise line for heavens sake. I cant accept any possibility of him being *told* not to talk.

Whatever their current gameplan is, it's not making them look good at all. Let's hope it's temporary.

I suggest calling around to see if you can find a hotel in Anchorage that offers a "day rate"for tomorrow. At least that would give you a home base and a place to store your luggage while you await the red-eye flight.

From what I've read, it would be best to handle this independently. Celebrity seems to be dropping the ball with alternate accommodations and communications. At least this might offer you peace of mind

Keep all receipts in hopes that Celebrity might decide to reimburse you once the dust has settled.

Sorry for the abrupt ending to your Alaska vacation. Safe travels!

Jane

Sorry Ghstudio, I'm not buying that at all. He's the President & CEO of the Cruise line for heavens sake. I cant accept any possibility of him being *told* not to talk.

Whatever their current gameplan is, it's not making them look good at all. Let's hope it's temporary.

Andy:

Unless the corporate lawyers are establishing the direction of any response. Good crisis management would involve Bayley getting out in front of the story. If I were to advise him I'd say that showing compassion and concern from the top is essential if you want to keep the situation under control. Just look what's happening on these boards. At first people expressed concern. People onboard said that they have been treated well and praised to crew for their efforts. The messages became more adversarial the longer the situation existed. We are now seeing early signs of outright hostility. Mr. Bayley, get out and lead!

I agree with you, Andy. Guessing he was waiting to have a clearer picture of the arrangements to be able to announce with a positive spin --then things just kept getting more and more out of hand. Not a good excuse, but I can see how that could happen.

We really need to hear from CEO Bailey, even at this late date.

It doesn't matter if he has all the right answers...He needs to be seen showing empathy and working on making things right.

Jane

Just had an announcement (citing flight numbers that we didn't even know about causing mass confusion) that the meeting time for people on my flight at 6:40pm went from 10:30am to 12:30pm so I guess we're staying on board a bit longer... No word on anything beyond that which is a bit disconcerting. I'm watching them load uhauls of luggage presumably to get on the ferry... Just hope our luggage shows up in Anchorage with us. I've been ok with all this until now but the short notice for luggage out last nite and then uncertainty about today is getting a bit disconcerting and seems like it could be handled better.

I have been following all the posts and am shocked and appalled at what is happening to these pax. I have paid particular attention to cruisestich's posts and it is very disconcerting to see the very obvious breakdown in the way Celebrity is accommodating the pax. As one who has a cruise booked with Celebrity, I am now concerned that, should the ship also have a mechanical breakdown, that we would suffer the same fate as all on Millenium as well as those whose upcoming trips have been cancelled.

Also very obvious is that Celebrity is protecting their bottom line. There should be no question that all travel expenses pax have incurred that are non refundable should be reimbursed. Transporting pax to airports not of their choosing is ridiculous. Leaving pax to find and pay for transportation home is unconscionable. The breakdown in communication is unforgivable. I know that Celebrity monitors these posts and I certainly hope they are aware that they have not only angered the pax directly involved with these cancellations but current and future customers as well. Celebrity must be aware that word of mouth is the best form of advertising, just look at how much ill will they have created.

It is my hope that Celebrity will reevaluate their current position and make each and every pax financially whole. Of course there is no way to make up completely for the lost vacation and all that went into arranging it, but at the very least, nobody should be out financially.

I am so sorry this has happened to all of you and Celebrity, I am disappointed in you.

First let me say I hope everybody eventually gets home safe and sound.

I am scheduled to cruise on the Millennium on 9/22 out of San Diego through the Panama Canal (those that don't have a calendar that's 3 weeks away). Therefore your statement of the ship being off for 5 weeks after the repairs are done is dry dock is not true, and 6 hours is going to upset their schedule once again. It does matter to the next 2,000+ passengers who are watching this very closely.

Regarding the crew.

Most said that they did not expect to be going home.

Every one I spoke to personally said that the passenger arrangements would be made and then, later, crew would receive their instructions but they, for the most part, would probably remain on board

The tipped staff will all be losing gratuities for this time which is a shame.

Your posts ave been great. But, if the Cruise Critic News board is accurate, =X= does take care of the crew.

"Much of the crew will stay onboard the ship during the duration of the transit and dry dock, but others will depart in Ketchikan. For those staying, the line's dry dock policy protects tips for crew members who earn tips. "

First let me say I hope everybody eventually gets home safe and sound.

I am scheduled to cruise on the Millennium on 9/22 out of San Diego through the Panama Canal (those that don't have a calendar that's 3 weeks away). Therefore your statement of the ship being off for 5 weeks after the repairs are done is dry dock is not true, and 6 hours is going to upset their schedule once again. It does matter to the next 2,000+ passengers who are watching this very closely.

Check your calendar again. That's 31 days (4.4 weeks away). However, if I were you, I would be worried.

Archived