HAL experience? T & L Ranked 5th

blaze14

Many of you have read Travel and Leisure World's Best awards Aug 2013 issue:

1. Crystal 2. Regent 3. Azamara 4. Oceana 5. Holland America 6. RCI

7. Princess 8. Cunard 9, Celebrity 10. Norwegian

Those who have been on the other lines as well as Holland America recently, do you think that Holland America has improved over past years?

HAL Suites vs. Crystal, Regent?

HAL Cruise vs. Oceana, RCI, Princess, Cunard etc?

What do you think of the Travel and Leisure rankings????

Those who have been on the other lines as well as Holland America recently, do you think that Holland America has improved over past years?

Actually I think HAL did well. She is behind what are considered luxury or semi- luxury lines. That is to be expected. And ahead of the other mass market ships. So, it seems to me, HAL is where it should be?

I trust the ranking. Looking fabulous Mrs.HAL :)

I say WOW, good for HAL to make it to the top of the tier right behind the far more expensive premium luxury lines while finding Princess and Celebrity in the bottom half. :D

Actually I think HAL did well. She is behind what are considered luxury or semi- luxury lines. That is to be expected. And ahead of the other mass market ships. So, it seems to me, HAL is where it should be?

Actually Azamara #3 is not luxury class--just a very well run cruise line. I've sailed them many times.

For reference, the two ship Azamara Club Cruises calls itself a "small luxury line": http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com

I believe it is/was a division Celebrity Cruise Lines, and is probably closer to the Crystal two ship concept than the larger, more mainstream HAL cruise lines with its single Prinsendam smaller, more premium service option. Being a prior Crystal cruiser, it will be interesting to compare the Prinsendam to the Crystal Symphony in just a few more weeks.

I believe HAL is less $$ than Cunard. This ranking actually shows that u truly get a great value with HA for the $ you pay.

Where is sliver 7 seas ?

I am with you, I would not expect HAL to beat Crystal or Regent.

I participated in that survey. I truly believe HAL is where it should be. Maybe this is going to be a wake up call for Celebrity. They just aren't as good as they were. I remember when they were considered a step up from HAL. I was a little surprised Regent was #2. Our experience on Navigator was no better than on Prinsendam. I need to try their other ships, when I quit sailing Prinsendam because of the wine policy. I know----everyone is getting bored with that statement, but it's true for many.

I participated in that survey. I truly believe HAL is where it should be. Maybe this is going to be a wake up call for Celebrity. They just aren't as good as they were. I remember when they were considered a step up from HAL. I was a little surprised Regent was #2. Our experience on Navigator was no better than on Prinsendam. I need to try their other ships, when I quit sailing Prinsendam because of the wine policy. I know----everyone is getting bored with that statement, but it's true for many.

I agree. Those reports have some or maybe a lot of truth to them. Thanks for sharing your views.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I, too, think HAL did well...very well, in fact. The lines at the top of their list are in a much different category. And, much more expensive than HAL. So basically, T & L put HAL at the top of the lines that are considered "mass market". Or at bthe bottom of the luxury lines...which she is not, at least price-wise. Whichever way you'd like to look at it!

Congratulations, HAL. :cool:

We went a Med cruise on Regent last Fall and a Hal Baltic cruise this Summer both were 10 days. Business flights arranged by cruise lines on both. On Regent we had second from bottom cabin . On Eurodam we had a SS category; Regent room was much nicer. I thought service on both was excellent. Food was very good on both but better on Regent. Note that most our meals on the Eurodam were in the specialty restaurants. Tours on Regent were much better and included in the price. Liquor and wine were much much better on Regent (including top flight call liquors ) And included in the price. The cost of both cruises was about the same. Bottom line-- if you drink, go on tours,and eat in the specialty restaurants, then the cost difference is not great. And I really liked every thing being included and not having to tip for every thing. That being said HAL itineraries are much better. We have two more cruises scheduled on Hal and one on Regent. I love Regent but you can't beat HALs itineraries.

Actually Azamara #3 is not luxury class--just a very well run cruise line. I've sailed them many times.

Rick Steve's put Azamara and Oceania in the Luxury Class. He put Crystal, Regent, Seabourne and Silversea in Ultra Luxury.

Archived