Disapointed with 5 Star Mariner Program

cloudchaser

We have no problem being served wine at Mariners Brunch or any drink of our choice (within reason) at the pre-brunch Reception. I don't doubt some seem to have difficulty but that has never been our experience. I've had my glass refilled often without even asking. :)

We have no problem being served wine at Mariners Brunch or any drink of our choice (within reason) at the pre-brunch Reception. I don't doubt some seem to have difficulty but that has never been our experience. I've had my glass refilled often without even asking. :)

When I have known someone who is serving from the bar I have no trouble getting what I want. They come up to me and ask me what I want, before others. But if I don't know anyone, it seems to be a problem of getting what I want.

That last time we went to one of the pre-brunch receptions (we were getting an award) it was 10:45am! At that time of the day we will leave the drinking to the pros. That was the first and last time we ever went to one of those receptions because we just cannot justify having to leave our comfy deck chair, put on smart-casual clothes, and drag ourselves to anything that time of the day.

Hank

That last time we went to one of the pre-brunch receptions (we were getting an award) it was 10:45am! At that time of the day we will leave the drinking to the pros. That was the first and last time we ever went to one of those receptions because we just cannot justify having to leave our comfy deck chair, put on smart-casual clothes, and drag ourselves to anything that time of the day.

Hank

I usually have a virgin bloody mary when the reception is that early.

We have never missed one of the receptions as both of us enjoy seeing people awarded their Medallions and like the photos we get with Captain and Hotel Director. They are my favorite momento from most of our cruises. :)

If we are at the brunch, I then have a glass of wine, if I wish.

I also wonder when HAL will stop counting days differently. It is silly to have so many days one way and so many days another. One system is for days actually sailed and one system is for days sailed including earned days.

I wish they would just lump them together and call it your number of days. It's not like the medallions ( which are the only difference) cost them a lot of money.

Lucky you.

We only get a choice of the cheap wines or cheap champagne.

No other cocktails are offered.

I also wonder when HAL will stop counting days differently. It is silly to have so many days one way and so many days another. One system is for days actually sailed and one system is for days sailed including earned days.

I wish they would just lump them together and call it your number of days. It's not like the medallions ( which are the only difference) cost them a lot of money.

JMO but I like the concurrent programs just the way they are.

I think it took a while for them to tweak it but it mostly works well now.

On our next cruise, the suites have gone up in price since we booked it a year ago, and the smaller cabins have gone down in price several times since final payment and we're still 60 days out from the cruise.

We have seen the prices of our 2 cruises go way up as well.

Thus we don't qualify for the Expplore4 program.

Medal "intention" is good, but unfortunately I have to admit that I just leave them in the drawer on the ship. They are too heavy to carry and they end up in a drawer at home. That might have been good years ago, but it doesn't work for today.

The count is used for different reasons. Days on board is for membership in the Presidents Club. What used to be informally called 5-stars. Now I guess it will be 6-stars. I think the current number for membership is 1400 days on board. On our 2011 GWV we heard from an officer that there was a total of 27 members of the President's Club and 17 were on board.

Earned nights, which includes everything (days, suite bonus, on-board spending, specials, etc.) is used for star-status and medallions.

At least that is the way I think it works.

The count is used for different reasons. Days on board is for membership in the Presidents Club. What used to be informally called 5-stars. Now I guess it will be 6-stars. I think the current number for membership is 1400 days on board. On our 2011 GWV we heard from an officer that there was a total of 27 members of the President's Club and 17 were on board.

Earned nights, which includes everything (days, suite bonus, on-board spending, specials, etc.) is used for star-status and medallions.

At least that is the way I think it works.

Star status includes everything but medallions are for actual days sailed.

Although we are well over 200 star days and have four star status we only have the 100 day bronze (copper?) medallions. But we're working on it. :)

So with all the 4 and 5 star mariners in the future... will the priority check in line be longer than the regular check in? :D:D

Yes -- it has already happened to us a couple of years ago.

The check-in lines for the PS, Deluxe Suites and 4 star Mariners were very long. And it took forever to check-in. The ID cards and materials for the 4 star Mariners were not in the Deluxe Suite area and the people working those lines had to keep going over to the regular check-in area to get everything.

I am baffled that so many posters are "grateful" for this or that benefit and willing to chastise others for being "ungrateful". My purchase of a cruise is a simply a consumer transaction; I weigh the price against the product and make a decision. Yes, mariner benefits go into that equation--Why wouldn't they? Those benefits affect the total price and satisfaction of the trip. Of course, some benefits I value and some I don't, Just as some activities on board are valuable to me and others aren't.

If other cruisers choose "gratitude" for mariner benefits instead of evaluating those benefits in the overall purchase price, that is their choice. But to suggest that others adopt their viewpoint seems pushy and yes, condescending.

So with all the 4 and 5 star mariners in the future... will the priority check in line be longer than the regular check in? :D:D

Yes, of course. The more people, the longer the lines.

Same for priority debark and for tendering.

Archived