Voyager Stockholm-London

Responder

Hi, All....

This is day 8 of the above referenced cruise and although we have many years of sailing with Regent, thus far this has been the very best ever.

The ship is full and you would never know it...not a wait for anything for us....well maybe in line to buy a Bingo card.

The service is out of sight. The staff from top to bottom cannot do enough for you. Smiles and greetings every step of the way.

We have already dined in Prime 7...Sete Mare(twice) and Prime 7. Tonight we dine in Signatures for the second time. Compass Rose is a winner. We can't decide where to go next.

What's interesting is that we booked this sailing quite late and when going to the online dining reservations, all were listed as unavailable. Knowing better, I knew that we would have no problem getting a seat while onboard and we haven't. Besides, with all the dining venues, why panic? If I ate this welll at home, I would weigh 300 lbs.

The purpose of this post is simply to give you our current review of Regent. This is not meant to start a contest of critiques, as each one views an experience differently.

In previous posts, the destination desk got lots of bad press. On this cruise, as on previous ones, we can't praise the desk and staff more highly. Friendly, informative and very efficient while loading a full ship of cruisers each and every day. Haven't yet waited more than 5-10 minutes after coming into the theatre before being called to board the bus...and with no wait doing that..

Being a wine nut, I must praise the wine stewards equally as high. We don't even begin to look at the menu until our wine has been selected and served. Never took more than 5 minutes. Same with wait staff...friendly, efficient and helpful. The dining managers, a few whom we know from the past are as good as I've encountered anywhere....land or sea..

Room steward is a lovely young lady who takes fine care of us...had one phone go bad...took one call and within 15 minutes, had a tech with a new phone. Pipe in shower was a bit loose....one call, was fixed while we were at dinner.

If on occasion I found an item in a meal that was not right, it was corrected immediately....Even at home on occasion something doesn't taste as expected, I don't take out a full page ad in the newspaper to complain as I see some people doing on the CC boards. Must be something more important in life, no?

Sure, some of the carpets are stained....so what...ship will be refurbished very soon...we don't eat off the floor and in spite of some staining, they are kept quite clean. Insofar as the art displayed, we don't have a problem. If we wanted to live in a museum we would move into the Metropolitan.

What we have discovered in over 50 years of cruising as well as travelling on land, is that if you are sincerely friendly and gracious to the staff, the graciousness is returned. People put out vibes that are discerned by others and as a result, don't always get expected results. Sure, there are few bad eggs here and there, but since we view the staff as human beings, we seem to virtually always come up with positive results.

To summarize, on Regent we expect a high quality product and the service to support it, and thus far in all the years of sailing with them, we haven't been disappointed.

Responder, very happy you are having a wonderful cruise. If you have the opportunity we would love to hear about your port visits and excursions. Angie

msmillie....

We're not too big on excursions, especially the very long ones.

We many times either walk to the town or take the shuttle. We're big on walking.

St. Petersburg was great. The first night we went to the folk music show in town. The performance was very much like the one a few years ago in Sevastapol. The Russian Military Orchestra..wonderful dancers and singers were tops. Refreshments at the intermission, however the seats were very hard.

Picturesque Poorvo in Helsinki as a tour was good but not of too much interest to us. An old town that you would almost think was in modern times...at least the prices were. The old wooden houses were interesting..but full of modern cars and dress all over.

We did not go to Berlin today...12 1/2 hour trip with 3 hours of bussing each way.

By the way....so far..all the busses were modern and clean and well staffed by a local rep.

So long as I came back to post, I might mention two events in the very beginning of the trip that further cements our relationship with Regent..

Flights were arranged by Regent and were really good, consistent with present day air travel.

We arrived in Stockholm early am and were greeted in the terminal by two lovely Swedish gals. They explained that they would wait a bit for two more people on our flight. After about 5 minutes, they said they didn't want us to wait, so they put us on a pre-paid taxi to what we were told was the hotel in town where the transport would take us to the ship. Since we had two long flights and are well up in years, we wanted to get to the ship ASAP in order to take a nap. The shore representative at the hotel only had room on the last shuttle to the ship. When we balked at this, he told us to take a taxi right to the ship and we would be reimbursed. We did and we were...When we got to the ship, we boarded immediately..around 11:30am and went to see if we could maybe get to our suite before the standard 2:30 whistle. When we got there, our room steward said come back in 10 minutes and you can take your naps..

Hard to receive better service than this....

May I ask who the general manager and Dining room manager are?....Sounds like a great Regent cruise. Thanks for your comments. Rob:)

Galzy is the GM and McNeil is the Captain.

Don't know the Dining Room Mgr but will find out and get back to you.

He knows what he is doing however.

Well, after leaving Copenhagen yesterday, today is our only sea day....cruising the North Sea. Relatively smooth sailing but a slight bit cooler...61 deg F.

To answer AWED23-the Dining Room manager is 'Marcel'

I don't know him but I know the results...excellent.

Just finished a seafood buffet on the deck. Probably one of the very best we have ever had...fresh Oysters from Bordeaux..a never ending medley of some great and interesting dishes.

Also interesting was to see Jonathan Smid, relatively new Executive Chef....standing the entire time shucking Oysters by the hundreds.

I never understood the comments made by those who say that no one ever helped them carry their food to the tables or refilled their drinks. If one has to be special to have this privilege then I guess I'm special. You can't walk 2 feet before a staff member, anyone from bus person to an officer, takes your plates and sees that you have a table available.

Couple of superb enrichment lectures by Sandra Bowern...one on German composers and today's on art. Wonderful slides and music and listening to her speak in impeccable English was a treat.

The Shows that usually consist of house performers usually leave me cold...but both the Cirque and last night's Latin inspired performances were outstanding.

Also, the resident pianinst from the Ukraine is super talented...fine classical and excellent jazz and also a really good accompianist(the toughest of all.)

Today the Virtuoso guests get a tour of the galley. We haven't been on one in years so it should be interesting.

Anyway, I only wish that everyone sailing on Regent, or any other ship for that matter, has the same wonderful experience we are having..

RESPONDER- My sincere thanks for all the kind accolades, we certainly appreciate you recognizing the crew's efforts.

But I must insist that the carpets are NOT stained!

I have personally gotten on my hands and knees, to inspect. I have put my nose to the carpet to determine whether I could "smell" the stains- Nothing.

I have personally gotten a brush with the usual cleaning solutions to try to scrub out the stains- Nothing, meaning no dirt came out.

We have brought the carpet manufacturer to the ship to inspect and explain to us why the APPEARANCE of a stain in certain places. While they tell us some cockamany (sp?) story, about the "shadowing effect" of light colored and high pile carpets (which I don't believe), we will indeed be replacing carpets EVERYWHERE on the ship during the upcoming drydock in October and will be utilizing a new carpet manufacturer.

Please continue enjoying Voyager and know that in about 8 weeks, she'll be better than ever!!

Happy Labor Day to all.

FDR

I think it is a function of pretty much all carpets on cruise ships that the nap fall in such a way that from certain directions it looks stained when it is not. I don't know why they can't find carpets without this flaw.

I have personally gotten on my hands and knees, to inspect. I have put my nose to the carpet to determine whether I could "smell" the stains- Nothing.

I have personally gotten a brush with the usual cleaning solutions to try to scrub out the stains- Nothing, meaning no dirt came out.

We have brought the carpet manufacturer to the ship to inspect and explain to us why the APPEARANCE of a stain in certain places. While they tell us some cockamany (sp?) story, about the "shadowing effect" of light colored and high pile carpets (which I don't believe), we will indeed be replacing carpets EVERYWHERE on the ship during the upcoming drydock in October and will be utilizing a new carpet manufacturer.

Nice to hear this response, Frank (can I call you Frank?) I've heard all that drivel too, in the past.

I think it is a function of pretty much all carpets on cruise ships that the nap fall in such a way that from certain directions it looks stained when it is not. I don't know why they can't find carpets without this flaw.

I don't either. I figured this out years ago, and now ignore it. Hope FDR gets his wish and solves it.

RESPONDER- My sincere thanks for all the kind accolades, we certainly appreciate you recognizing the crew's efforts.

Please continue enjoying Voyager and know that in about 8 weeks, she'll be better than ever!!

Happy Labor Day to all.

FDR

Thanks for your reply FDR, but I wanted to ask why it has taken so long to have the carpets replaced? If it was a defect inherent in the carpet, then why not replaced sooner, especially after so many comments from so many repeat guests? I specifically chose not to sail the Mariner, because of the same comments...I couldn't justify looking at the appearance of a stained carpet given the price of the cruise. Perhaps I am picky, but I am the type of customer with the disposable income to travel in the luxury segment, so these things do matter to many.

Many thanks

CARPETS can only be practically replaced during drydocks when there are no guests onboard for extended periods.

Our drydocks, which are usually performed over a 10 day period, must, according to regulation, take place at least twice every 5 year period.

We typically replace carpets at every drydock.

FDR

CARPETS can only be practically replaced during drydocks when there are no guests onboard for extended periods.

Our drydocks, which are usually performed over a 10 day period, must, according to regulation, take place at least twice every 5 year period.

FDR

So this tells me that you are willing to live with a defective carpet for 2.5 years before dealing with it? That's not acceptable. Not for a 6 star cruise line!

FDR

Hi,

I have been on the Voyager twice and have never noticed any stains on the carpets :)

Of course I do not go around looking at the floor, there are much more interesting things to do!!!!and Voyager is a fantastic ship :)

Dale .....

Hi,

I have been on the Voyager twice and have never noticed any stains on the carpets :)

Of course I do not go around looking at the floor, there are much more interesting things to do!!!!and Voyager is a fantastic ship :)

Dale .....

Agree with you 100%

We were on Voyager's last trip from Copenhagen to to Stockholm this summer and Sally and I had a fabulous time.

Now it wasn't perfect, perfection isn't attainable in this vale of struggles here below but there was nothing at all I'd have felt inclined to be bothered about: certainly not the state of the carpet.

The only thing which I did find highly objectional was the attitude of a very few of the guests to the staff but I can't blame Regent for that and unfortunately it can't be solved by putting the boat into dry dock!

R

We were on the Voyager in March for 18 days. Everything was great. I never noticed any stains on the carpets but then I don't look to those details. The carpet would have to be filthy for me to notice. With so many people on a ship there is no way carpets would stay as brand new. I'm glad the service has been good (as always with Voyager) and you're having a good cruise.

Aaaak! Never fails to amaze me how fast a lovely, upbeat subject can deteriorate into an argument on CC.

Responder,

I want to thank you for your review and would love to hear more. DH and I will be first-time Regent (and Voyager) passengers in late November. He's not thrilled about the whole thing because of his lack of interest in the countries on the itinerary, but I'm dragging him along because it's a "significant" (ahem) birthday present choice for me. I've gotten lots of tips and insights about Regent from this board, and even though I'm quite capable of dividing by 2 when it comes to some of the kvetching, I must admit I was getting a little put off about the whole thing. Recent carpet complaints and ensuing battle aside, your and FDR's contribution to this thread have renewed my enthusiasm and I'm very much looking forward the Voyager! Please keep the updates coming, and don't waste any more of your precious time aboard responding to negative comments :)

Keep the faith, Swelldame! You will love Voyager! We were on board in October of 2012. We loved the ship, the service, the food, and the itinerary. Our only complaint was that we had a butler that was too available! Isn't that ironic? Some people love to be taken care of in this way....we don't. And it was easy enough to just put the privacy card on the door!

Aaaak! Never fails to amaze me how fast a lovely, upbeat subject can deteriorate into an argument on CC.

Responder,

I want to thank you for your review and would love to hear more. DH and I will be first-time Regent (and Voyager) passengers in late November. He's not thrilled about the whole thing because of his lack of interest in the countries on the itinerary, but I'm dragging him along because it's a "significant" (ahem) birthday present choice for me. I've gotten lots of tips and insights about Regent from this board, and even though I'm quite capable of dividing by 2 when it comes to some of the kvetching, I must admit I was getting a little put off about the whole thing. Recent carpet complaints and ensuing battle aside, your and FDR's contribution to this thread have renewed my enthusiasm and I'm very much looking forward the Voyager! Please keep the updates coming, and don't waste any more of your precious time aboard responding to negative comments :)

From a long time regent cruiser, you will have a great time.

Don't pay too much attention to the cr*p that comes forth on this board.

I wish for you the same great time we have had and we are sorry that on Monday morning it ends for us.

Unless the carpets were filthy I would not notice the condition. As much as I saw staff cleaning and maintaining ship I am sure they cleaned carpets as we slept! I think some people need to relax and enjoy! The Voyager is a fabulous ship. We were on it in May 2012 and will be on it again in Aug.2014.

Archived