LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

But what is IC?

Go to the website Dave posted for info on the Royal's dining options & here's what it says about the IC.

International Café –Aboard Royal Princess the popular International Café serves up some new savory and sweet items including cupcakes, pies, and muffins to go with the café’s array of pastries, panini sandwiches, fresh-baked cookies and specialty coffees and teas. In addition, a new variety of hot sandwiches with international flavors debuts, including Cuban sandwiches and Mexican tortas. Open 24 hours, the space also has an expanded seating area, making it the perfect area to grab a light meal, meet friends for coffee or enjoy a snack while watching the array of Piazza entertainers.

Bon Voyage to you both

and to all who are cruising on Royal .

For all those following here is a copy of the itinerary for Pia 's cruise,

30 days ...Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale.

The present cruise can also be done as a

12 day ...Barcelona to Venice ...and an

18 day ...Venice to Fort Lauderdale.

Date Port Arrive Depart

Fri 27/09/13 Barcelona / Spain 19:00

Sat 28/09/13 Toulon / France 07:00 18:00

Sun 29/09/13 Livorno / Italy 07:00 19:00

Mon 30/09/13 Civitavecchia (Rome) / Italy 07:00 19:00

Tue 01/10/13 Naples / Italy 07:00 19:00

Wed 02/10/13 At Sea

Thu 03/10/13 Mykonos / Greece 07:00 14:00

Fri 04/10/13 Istanbul / Turkey 08:00 18:00

Sat 05/10/13 Kusadasi / Turkey 12:00 19:00

Sun 06/10/13 Piraeus (Athens) / Greece 09:00 17:45

Mon 07/10/13 At Sea

Tue 08/10/13 Venice / Italy 13:00

Wed 09/10/13 Venice / Italy

Thu 10/10/13 Venice / Italy 17:00

Fri 11/10/13 At Sea

Sat 12/10/13 Messina (Taormina, Sicily) / Italy 06:00 15:00

Sun 13/10/13 Naples / Italy 07:00 19:00

Mon 14/10/13 Civitavecchia (Rome) / Italy 07:00 19:00

Tue 15/10/13 Cannes / France 08:00 18:00

Wed 16/10/13 Barcelona / Spain 09:00 20:00

Thu 17/10/13 At Sea

Fri 18/10/13 At Sea

Sat 19/10/13 Funchal (Madeira) / Portugal 09:00 18:00

Sun 20/10/13 At Sea

Mon 21/10/13 At Sea

Tue 22/10/13 At Sea

Wed 23/10/13 At Sea

Thu 24/10/13 At Sea

Fri 25/10/13 At Sea

Sat 26/10/13 At Sea

Sun 27/10/13 Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) / USA 06:00

It’s Saturday Sept. 28th and we’re in Toulon. First, a little info.

Toulon Harbor has long been a significant commercial port and a major naval base as well. Even today it is the headquarters of the French Mediterranean fleet. The military importance began about 1600, when King Henry IV built a naval arsenal, later strengthened by Cardinal Richelieu. During the French Revolution in 1792, the city was dominated by Royalists who opposed the revolutionary Republican government in Paris. They turned over control of the port and its fleet to the British navy, then at war with France. The Republicans then sent an army to retake the city, aided by an unknown artillery captain named Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon’s careful disposition of his guns made it impossible for the British Admiral Hood to keep his ships safe, and so he withdrew, which left Toulon back in French hands. I think we can say that Napoleon went on to bigger and better things.

Docking is in the port of La Seyne and you need a water shuttle in order to get to downtown Toulon. Transit time is approximately 15 to 20 minutes and an all day pass is $15 per person. Of course you can take a taxi right at the pier for 20-30 euros or a DIY 30 minute walk into town.

On board during the day is not much, with highlight being Forest Gump on MUTS. We sail at 6:00 and at that time there will be a talk: What to Explore Ashore: Rome, Italy. I don’t know whether or not this is a shorex thing or just interesting information for travelers with little or no Rome experience.

At 7:00 in Princess LIVE, there will be a presentation on the lives of two artists: Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein and MUTS will have two showings tonight of Oblivion. After the art presentation, Alegria String quartet will perform in that same venue. Showtime in the theater is vocalist Mark Preston and in Vista, is music and dancing with The Volume. In the Wheelhouse is a piano player, Ray Coussins and the Rick Kilburn Quartet performs several times in the Piazza. The Crooners pianist is Kory Simon.

Assuming the internet is working properly, I am attempting to post this shortly before we leave for our private tour. BTW, the IC doesn’t have egg muffins before 7:00 AM.

Request: please understand that I do not have unlimited minutes, and I will not be able to answer all your questions. There is no way I can ask the MD for his email address and I do appreciate all you guys who answer questions like the IC.

The library to answer one, has a table where passengers books are lying. There was not much, and the whole library is as large as a big bathroom.

Bye.

If you are organizing a single's table in the mdr, how can I be included?

Also, there are three of us interested in a gondola ride during the evening of the 9th in Venice. We need three more people to join us to make the ride affordable. Please post on this site if you would like to join us.

I am currently in Florence and having an amazing time. See you all in Venice.

Ciao, Sarina

Pia - are Franky and Jack on the cruise with you? Glad to hear the problems got fixed and you guys didn't't have to come home. I look forward to your posts. We will be on the Royal in February. Hi to Mike.

Barb abrant

It’s Saturday Sept. 28th and we’re in Toulon. First, a little info.

Toulon Harbor has long been a significant commercial port and a major naval base as well. Even today it is the headquarters of the French Mediterranean fleet. The military importance began about 1600, when King Henry IV built a naval arsenal, later strengthened by Cardinal Richelieu. During the French Revolution in 1792, the city was dominated by Royalists who opposed the revolutionary Republican government in Paris. They turned over control of the port and its fleet to the British navy, then at war with France. The Republicans then sent an army to retake the city, aided by an unknown artillery captain named Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon’s careful disposition of his guns made it impossible for the British Admiral Hood to keep his ships safe, and so he withdrew, which left Toulon back in French hands. I think we can say that Napoleon went on to bigger and better things.

Docking is in the port of La Seyne and you need a water shuttle in order to get to downtown Toulon. Transit time is approximately 15 to 20 minutes and an all day pass is $15 per person. Of course you can take a taxi right at the pier for 20-30 euros or a DIY 30 minute walk into town.

On board during the day is not much, with highlight being Forest Gump on MUTS. We sail at 6:00 and at that time there will be a talk: What to Explore Ashore: Rome, Italy. I don’t know whether or not this is a shorex thing or just interesting information for travelers with little or no Rome experience.

At 7:00 in Princess LIVE, there will be a presentation on the lives of two artists: Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein and MUTS will have two showings tonight of Oblivion. After the art presentation, Alegria String quartet will perform in that same venue. Showtime in the theater is vocalist Mark Preston and in Vista, is music and dancing with The Volume. In the Wheelhouse is a piano player, Ray Coussins and the Rick Kilburn Quartet performs several times in the Piazza. The Crooners pianist is Kory Simon.

Assuming the internet is working properly, I am attempting to post this shortly before we leave for our private tour. BTW, the IC doesn’t have egg muffins before 7:00 AM.

Request: please understand that I do not have unlimited minutes, and I will not be able to answer all your questions. There is no way I can ask the MD for his email address and I do appreciate all you guys who answer questions like the IC.

The library to answer one, has a table where passengers books are lying. There was not much, and the whole library is as large as a big bathroom.

Bye.

Pia;

Enjoy your day and don't worry about internet minutes. I'll give you a hand answering questions when we board on the 9th. I booked the cruise before the July 2012 free suite internet cutoff....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Pia;

Enjoy your day and don't worry about internet minutes. I'll give you a hand answering questions when we board on the 9th. I booked the cruise before the July 2012 free suite internet cutoff....:):):)

Bob

Way to go BOB. Now we will have two for the price of two. :)

Joe

Guest USC Traveler

pia...so glad you're on the ship! bon voyage! thank you for posting the "live" so quickly. enjoy enjoy enjoy and have a safe voyage. i'll be so interested in reading your posts and when pam get on board, i'm sure you and she will give us all the latest happenings on board.

Pia - are Franky and Jack on the cruise with you? Glad to hear the problems got fixed and you guys didn't't have to come home. I look forward to your posts. We will be on the Royal in February. Hi to Mike.

Barb abrant

I'm not Pia, but Franky and Jack are on this cruise!

Hi Guys: this is not a happy post. First let me say we had a wonderfully, exhausting day, but right now I'm in the internet cafe using their equipment. It seems that the ship had a major power surge during the night, which knocked out my power cord. My computer now has a dead battery. They took the cord and will try to regenerate it tomorrow when electrical dept comes to work. Meanwhile we leave on a Cinque Terre tour very early, so hopefully I will be back in business tomorrow night.

Sorry, but there is no way I can read and/or respond to anything. Bye for now.

Hi Guys: this is not a happy post. First let me say we had a wonderfully, exhausting day, but right now I'm in the internet cafe using their equipment. It seems that the ship had a major power surge during the night, which knocked out my power cord. My computer now has a dead battery. They took the cord and will try to regenerate it tomorrow when electrical dept comes to work. Meanwhile we leave on a Cinque Terre tour very early, so hopefully I will be back in business tomorrow night.

Sorry, but there is no way I can read and/or respond to anything. Bye for now.

Sorry to hear that Pia. Enjoy the rest of the first segment. We'll see you on the 9th.....:):):)

Bob