LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

Thanks for another "Live From". Looking forward to hearing your thoughts & comparisons.

Please ask Head Waiter Rui if he will still be aboard thru the end of the year.

Have a great cruise!

I've been waiting with baited breath for your "Live From" to start.

I know we'll all get an unbiased review from you.

If you do talk to Rui could you please ask him if he thinks he'll still be on her in Feb?

Have a wonderful cruise!

Hi all, just checking in at almost 10 PM; same embarkation day. The internet is down however, so I’m writing this and will copy and paste later or tomorrow or whenever I can.

I never did give any Patter info, so suffice to say we didn’t do anything earth shattering. We had wine time on our balcony with our friends’ balcony next door open too. Served 8 of us well and by the time we thought about dinner it was 8:00. So we went up to HC and that was about it. Entertainment tonight is/was Jack Reacher on MUTS, Welcome Aboard Showtime at 8:30 and 10:30 and the movie The Place Beyond the Pines in Vista.,

Tomorrow morning we are in Toulon, France, a first time port for us and an early 7:30 departure on a private tour. This probably means I won’t be able to log in early, but internet permitting, will check in upon return. Internet is jumping around with log in page coming and going, so will give it a try. But perhaps you will not see this today.

Looks like this may get on, but don't want to press my luck.

Answers:

1. If I ever get to the DR I'll ask Rui. Have known him for years

2. Same with Fabio

3. Showers have bath gel and shampoo on wall. Bar soap for sink. But of course you can get bar soap for shower if you ask.

See you tomorrow.

Welcome aboard the Royal Princess as we begin our 30 day cruise from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale. I realize there are still some unanswered questions, and I would appreciate if you’d give me a day or two to become acclimated to this HUGE vessel.

Pia! Glad to see you back on a "live from..." Thread. I will be glued to it until I board the Maiden in FLL! Fair winds and following seas throughout your journey!

Hi all, just checking in at almost 10 PM; same embarkation day. The internet is down however, so I’m writing this and will copy and paste later or tomorrow or whenever I can.

I never did give any Patter info, so suffice to say we didn’t do anything earth shattering. We had wine time on our balcony with our friends’ balcony next door open too. Served 8 of us well and by the time we thought about dinner it was 8:00. So we went up to HC and that was about it. Entertainment tonight is/was Jack Reacher on MUTS, Welcome Aboard Showtime at 8:30 and 10:30 and the movie The Place Beyond the Pines in Vista.,

Tomorrow morning we are in Toulon, France, a first time port for us and an early 7:30 departure on a private tour. This probably means I won’t be able to log in early, but internet permitting, will check in upon return. Internet is jumping around with log in page coming and going, so will give it a try. But perhaps you will not see this today.

Looks like this may get on, but don't want to press my luck.

Answers:

1. If I ever get to the DR I'll ask Rui. Have known him for years

2. Same with Fabio

3. Showers have bath gel and shampoo on wall. Bar soap for sink. But of course you can get bar soap for shower if you ask.

See you tomorrow.

Sounds like a great start. Have a great day in Toulon tomorrow.....:):):)

Bob

Thanks for another "Live From". Looking forward to hearing your thoughts & comparisons.

Hope you have calm seas and fair winds. Please say hello to Pasquale for me. I know he's heading home in November so I will not see him when I board in Dec. if you get a chance,

Please ask Head Waiter Rui if he will still be aboard thru the end of the year.

Have a great cruise!

Rui was our head waiter on the Royal in July..he was excellent and always around and trying to do more for us! We had two children in our family group and the MDR service was outstanding,

Hello again Pia!! Lucky you, on the ship already!

Another question and thanks for answering my other one.

The next time you pass by the library, could you see if they have a paperback exchange? I am hoping to just bring a couple of books and exchange for others when I am finished with mine.

Also, can you see if you can get the maitre'd's email address? I want to email him and see if he can set up a single's table for 1st seating at dinner, as well as some other things.

Thanks muchly!

Jennifer

Good luck on your cruise. You getting on just 2 days after we were on the royal and sent home early because of engine and power failure! They cancelled our existing flights to stay in barcelona and booked us to fly home from Rome.

It was a great cruise before the power failure and even after except for the arrangements to get home. We would have prefer to book our own travel plans as we already had a hotel in barcelona, which we will still be charged for!

But they cancelled all flights for US travelers who used princess air and sent us all home!

So after 22 hours awake and in transit we are home safely.

Read about the cancelled sept 15 cruise here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2430192/Royal-Princess-cruise-ship-launched-Duchess-Cambridge-suffers-severe-mechanical-problems.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Any questions about the royal?. Just ask.

Lynn and Don in indiana

I would think you would could contact Princess and get reimbursed...

Welcome aboard the Royal Princess as we begin our 30 day cruise from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale. I realize there are still some unanswered questions, and I would appreciate if you’d give me a day or two to become acclimated to this HUGE vessel.

Our eventful/uneventful nonstop flight from Miami (Wednesday nite) was sort of interesting. There were lots of CC passengers; 7 couples in our immediate group. We boarded on time, but the captain announced we would be delayed to due the fact that the engines had to warm up. He said the plane had been at the gate for several hours and they were cold. So why didn’t they start the engines earlier? OK. Engines running. Then, another announcement: we will be delayed further because he was waiting for the Log. Where was the Log coming from; Europe? By this time we were already an hour late when, you guessed it: another announcement. This time there was a problem in the galley. It seems, “ladies and gentlemen, that we have a power outage. No we can’t take you to Europe without food,“ said our Captain. Heck, at this point we would have liked another aircraft. Our 6:20 PM flight finally departed at almost 8:00 and we did make it to Barcelona only one hour later than anticipated. AA used a very old plane with very little overhead storage and the kind of menu that they used to give you free on regular domestic flights. Would you believe they ran out of wine? We didn’t sleep at all, so at the hotel Mike took a nap and I went out to “buy” money at the ATM. Of course I also went to the market to buy wine. Only one Sauv. Blanc available at 4.70 euros, and no Pinot Grigio at all. They had a Spanish white wine for one euro, so risk taker that I am, bought it. I figured I could afford to take a chance on a buck. I forced myself to stay awake and our large CC group had a wine time at 5:30 which lasted for us until past 9:00.

So here we are in our lovely Caribe deck cabin (Caribe on this ship has regular balcony; covered only) and almost totally unpacked. We were aboard at 11:35 and our bags came shortly afterward. And yes, I had a box wine in my checked baggage which arrived just fine and the two bottles in my carryon probably could have been 20. Nobody even glanced at the stuff going thru the machines.

Here’s some information:

SHIP’S OFFICERS

Captain Tony Draper

Staff Captain Tim Stringer

Hotel Manager Martin Bristow

Cruise Director Samantha Hawker-Thomas

Customer Service Jasper Wolthuis

Food & Beverage Ferdinando Vinelli

Executive Chef David McDonald

Maitre d’ Pasquale Marino (Fabio Marcotti is currently the MD, but he is leaving on Sunday)

Capt. Circle Hostess Chrissy Reid

Horizon Court and Bistro is enormous. When you think you’ve seen it all, there’s more. I never looked into the pastry shop, but after having some yummy teriyaki chicken fingers and mashed potatoes, I found there was an Asian area and a Mediterranean area. The place is so big, yet having so many different areas alleviates crowds. Plenty of seating. As we go along I will probably notice some more, but for now I don’t even want to go into the dining room.

The library is a joke. It seems as if it’s an afterthought. The tiniest one I have ever seen. Can’t say much more than that.

Crown Grill opposite library; we made res for six for the night we’re in Mykonos (October 3rd). Already very popular; wanted earlier res but had to take 7:00.

Tried to peek into Princess Live, but they were rehearsing.

Shorex desk, purser’s desk; both overly crowded. What are they giving away?

Just peeked at the IC which was empty. Most likely people think you have to pay extra. They’ll learn.

Never went near the pool decks or the fitness center. Billco, I will inquire about the fitness classes when I get up there (not until Monday because we have early shorex the next two days). Frank, the port side is facing water, lots of ferries and commercial equipment. It’s now almost time for muster, so I will end this, hope it gets posted and continue later.

Ok! New to Princess.... please explain What is IC?

Thanks,

Joanne