Royal princess: the cruise from hell

ibfern

We've had aft balconies on the Emerald, Sapphire and the old Royal (sister ship to the Ocean and Pacific) and never had an issue with soot. We have one on the new Royal (Dolphin deck) in December - it's an owners suite and if the balcony is uninhabitable I will be a very, very unhappy cruiser.

We have an aft Dolphin balcony reserved on the Regal for next years transatlantic.

I am now feeling I made a bad choice. Hopefully we will get some more postings, so that if necessary, I can either move, or cancel.

Linda

Is the soot and exhaust problem with aft balconies on all Princess ships? We have booked an aft suite on Crown Princess for Jan., 2014. We usually just book a balcony cabin mid ship. Since we spent the extra money to splurge this time around, we would hate to have our cruise ruined.

Beth

We've had aft balconies on many, many Princess ships and NEVER had a problem with soot. On all of the other ships (except the two little ones- the Ocean and Pacific - the aft is straight up and down and not tiered. Thus all balconies are fully covered and so no soot. We had an aft on the Ocean and the old Royal, which ARE tiered but those were partially covered and so there was sometimes a little soot but not too much.

People who sail on Celebrity complain that the Solstice class ships also have soot on the balconies and those afts are similar in design to the new Royal.

You'll be fine on the Crown!

I have a friend at work who just got back from Royal and he had an aft balcony (M726 I think) and he said even though the room steward worked hard to keep it clean, it was pretty much not usable during the entire cruise. He was bummed about it for sure, but everything else was good. He did speak to a Customer Service Manager a couple of times.

For myself, I have had soot problems on one aft and I think that was on my most recent cruise on the RCL Enchantment, but nothing as bad as my friend and Ameila are reporting.

Good Luck, Amelia. Sorry you are experiencing such issues. Best wishes and hope you can enjoy the remainder of the cruise. I feel for ya for sure.

I looked up M726 and it is also the center aft cabin as was Amelia's cabin. Both Caribe and Marina decks are also totally uncovered.

I wonder if it's the combination of center balcony AND uncovered that exacerbates the soot situation.

We have B736 booked for a cruise. It's next to the suite balcony and is partially covered. I'll be anxious to read if any cruisers in the near future have the same problems with the outside afts on Baja and Dolphin (which are both partially covered.)

I'm also hoping to hear that someone on the ship has done something to make up to Amelia for all of negative things that have happened to her on this cruise!

Wow, Amelia, so sorry to hear about that balcony. I know you were looking forward to that aft facing balcony. As you know we try to book aft facing whenever we can get one. On other Princess ships, never had a problem. Must be the way this new ship is laid out differently.

Try to have fun. Write to Princess Customer Relations when you get back regarding your problems. A refund is due for the difference in standard balcony vs. delux aft. The luggage problem can also be resolved at that time. Just buy a piece of luggage in port. Keep receipt. Princess should refund the cost of it and the difference in price of your more expensive damaged one. Stop trying to deal on the ship. I know when we were on with you it was a big upset with their daily calls to you and no resolve. Sometimes you just have to handle things yourself.

Gloria

We've had aft balconies on many, many Princess ships and NEVER had a problem with soot. On all of the other ships (except the two little ones- the Ocean and Pacific - the aft is straight up and down and not tiered. Thus all balconies are fully covered and so no soot. We had an aft on the Ocean and the old Royal, which ARE tiered but those were partially covered and so there was sometimes a little soot but not too much.

People who sail on Celebrity complain that the Solstice class ships also have soot on the balconies and those afts are similar in design to the new Royal.

You'll be fine on the Crown!

I looked up M726 and it is also the center aft cabin as was Amelia's cabin. Both Caribe and Marina decks are also totally uncovered.

I wonder if it's the combination of center balcony AND uncovered that exacerbates the soot situation.

We have B736 booked for a cruise. It's next to the suite balcony and is partially covered. I'll be anxious to read if any cruisers in the near future have the same problems with the outside afts on Baja and Dolphin (which are both partially covered.)

I'm also hoping to hear that someone on the ship has done something to make up to Amelia for all of negative things that have happened to her on this cruise!

I think you have a good point. The tiered balconies that aren't covered would be prone to soot accumulation.

Have you contacted the Hotel Manager about all the problems? You may try doing that, if not done already, as they have more authority and can get results. We did this once and got immediate results with follow up for the remainder of the cruise. Hope things get better for you:)

I think the issue is with those uncovered one's. I saw a post from a facebook poster who had an aft Baja and they didn't have any issues. Dolphin and Baja seem to be the way to go.

The cruise from hell

I need a balcony because I have chronic sinusitis which goes along with my chronic migraines. The dry air of an inside cabin is terrible for me, I always book balconies so I can leave to balcony door open and have fresh moist air.

Amelia

I wonder if placing the OP in a smoked in cabin will compound or aggravate their health problems?

I am sensitive to cigarette smoke and it would make my sinus stuff up.

Hope your cruise gets better definitely unacceptable. Mechanical problems, damaged luggage or even tar on rails happens and cannot always be controlled but how Princess responds can be.

Edited by baldercash

some good advice on here about emailing corporate now and contacting the hotel gm. have you tried the captains circle host? I remember pam having an issue that was finally solved when the circle hostess was involved.

The aft balconies are all tiered, you can see all your neighbors up and down. Caribe is all uncovered, dolphin is partially uncovered. Dolphin looks like the largest, friends on the balcony deck right next to the suite are not having any problems. It must be the center, uncovered ones that are the worst. Later in the cruise ill go find the steward and ask her, she was quite informative. Next to our former room c743 was a sink for mandatory hand washing, so something is toxic there!

No news so far...

The aft balconies are all tiered, you can see all your neighbors up and down. Caribe is all uncovered, dolphin is partially uncovered. Dolphin looks like the largest, friends on the balcony deck right next to the suite are not having any problems. It must be the center, uncovered ones that are the worst. Later in the cruise ill go find the steward and ask her, she was quite informative. Next to our former room c743 was a sink for mandatory hand washing, so something is toxic there!

No news so far...

Thanks Amelia.

Is there any way you can check about the Baja cabins. We have an aft Baja (also right next to the suite) booked and I thought it was the same size and layout (partially covered) as Dolphin. If there's a difference I would try to switch.

We had B738 on our September 15 cruise. We loved the location of this room and the balcony. On some mornings, we would wipe the railing and table with a towel as there was a light film of soot. This was not a problem for us. We loved the big half covered aft balcony and would book this room again!

I'm not surprised about the toilet issue as that has been reported. I'm not surprised about the soot issue as that has been reported in the past on both the Celebrity board and on other Princess ships. That is probably why that room was available. I can't believe that they get away with charging a premium price for these staterooms. I am appalled that after all of the issues that you experienced that someone couldn't take a few extra minutes to check the room before they moved you. I'm sure that you wouldn't have mind if they told you that they had another room but it had to be made up. I guess that last passengers ignored the no smoking policy. Has anyone apologized or offered you a token of good will such as OBC or complementary specialty restaurant? I know that doesn't make up for all that you went through and personally I think you should at least be refunded for all of the days lost due to these issues but I was just wondering how the ship is handling it. It's one thing to pass off the fare refund to the home office but it's another thing if they aren't at least trying to do anything help smooth things over and show that they care. From what you posted they don't seem to care.

There are other ships in the princess fleet with aft soot problems: all sun class.

Soot shouldn't accumulate on the ship. The design of the funnel and the aerodynamics of it and the ship are modeled during the design process so in theory soot and toxic exhaust fumes flow away from the ship. Soot is inconvenient, fumes potentially a hazard. Something is amiss in the design of the funnel. It's probably not anything that can be fixed either. Very unfortunate.

We cc'ers can help each other out by documenting which balconies seem to be the most impacted so they can be avoided.

So sorry to the original poster. Do seek out the help of the cc hostess. She definitely can help and has access to all the heads of department. She also reports to the captain.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Is the soot and exhaust problem with aft balconies on all Princess ships? We have booked an aft suite on Crown Princess for Jan., 2014. We usually just book a balcony cabin mid ship. Since we spent the extra money to splurge this time around, we would hate to have our cruise ruined.

Beth

we had an aft balcony on the Caribbean Princess last November, it was one over from center on Baja deck. we never had soot problems, we even did the balcony dinner one evening while sailing and it was lovely. we did have to wipe the chairs one morning before coffee on balcony but it was just a light dusting of dirt and dew.

the original poster says she leaves door open due to sinus problems. this is very much frowned on by all cruise lines. it affects the a/c and such for not only that cabin but nearby ones. it is always listed as a no/no.

concur on cigarette burns, there is no smoking in room or balcony so this is unusual. so sorry about all her issues but let us hope they get some compensation and in retrospect things were not as bad as initially reported.

We've had aft balconies on the Emerald, Sapphire and the old Royal (sister ship to the Ocean and Pacific) and never had an issue with soot. We have one on the new Royal (Dolphin deck) in December - it's an owners suite and if the balcony is uninhabitable I will be a very, very unhappy cruiser.

Have you been reading Bob's comments about the OS on the live from thread? Think this was his 1st one http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40252790#post40252790

While he loves the balcony he is most unpleased with the suite itself. Believe at some point he referred to it as "two closets". And, Bob is not the type to throw about meaningless complaints.

Gosh what happened in that cabin for the blood and hair? Some kind of sacrifical scalping? Black market operations? That would freak me out big time seeing that in my cabin.

Hope you get some answers and the rest of your trip is enjoyable.

All - please see another recent thread called "Royal Princess Soot in Balcony".

There are incredible pictures of soot on B735, which is a suite with a partially covered balcony.

A picture is worth 1000 words. Don't miss these pictures.

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

All - please see another recent thread called "Royal Princess Soot in Balcony".

There are incredible pictures of soot on B735' date=' which is a suite with a partially covered balcony.

A picture is worth 1000 words. Don't miss these pictures.[/quote']

Here is a link to the photos: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1927914

Cheers, Denise

Thanks Amelia.

Is there any way you can check about the Baja cabins. We have an aft Baja (also right next to the suite) booked and I thought it was the same size and layout (partially covered) as Dolphin. If there's a difference I would try to switch.

My friends are in that deluxe dolphin balcony and are not having any problems, but if they do I will report it! ;)

Today princess offered to compensate me for the difference in prices, plus some extra OBC and a dinner at the Crown Grill. I thought that was fair, and accepted it so I can move on and enjoy the cruise! Ill keep researching the aft issues, some friends close to the rear are having soot in their ears!

I don't know where the blood and hair came from but they cleaned it all up and I am fine with that! It's time to resume enjoying the cruise.

I need to post some reviews of fantastic tours in Greece and Venice, so will resume posting on the live. Of course if you need me to investigate anything I am happy to help and I hope my problems will help others avoid the same. All the best to all my CC friends...

Amelia

My friends are in that deluxe dolphin balcony and are not having any problems, but if they do I will report it! ;)

Hi Amelia

So sorry to hear about your "cruise from hell". Here is hoping it gets better and that you get some satisfaction from Princess.

If you have time, can you report on D729 - aft facing cabin. My friends are on this at the end of Nov. Of course, final payment has been made, so I am not sure what, if anything, would be accomplished by telling them about your soot problems.

Thanks in advance. Feel better and enjoy the upcoming ports.

Kathleen

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi ibfern

Sorry to hear things have started so badly for you,

what contact have you had with the ships management,

Liz the Customer Relationship Manager is very good

so is the Customer Services Director and Hotel Manager have you meet Dirk.

yours Shogun