New p&o your thoughts survey

jessie36

Looks like vantage fares will be changing although bit confused with the three choices, do you think it will still benefit those of us that are early bookers?

For those of us who haven't seen it, can you elaborate, please?

Thanks, Stuart

Sorry, I completed it so quickly . Near the end of the survey it showed three different price structures the first was the fare at brochure release tariff 1with not discounted but able to choose cabin, dining and first priority for upgrades the second was a discounted fare which would be applicable on certain new cruises where you could choose cabin grade, and location but not cabin, 2nd priority dining choice, higher deposit and 2nd priority for upgrades and tariff 3 available 3 months before departure with same restrictions as the now getaway fare. All tariffs to be renamed

Why don't they give a decent discount to early bookers and then maintain the price thereafter. Most people, i suspect, like to book their cruises early at a reasonable price and then forget it, knowing they are not going to be undercut. Imho P&O have forced people away from booking early, they now need to force people away from booking late.

Sorry, I completed it so quickly . Near the end of the survey it showed three different price structures the first was the fare at brochure release tariff 1with not discounted but able to choose cabin, dining and first priority for upgrades the second was a discounted fare which would be applicable on certain new cruises where you could choose cabin grade, and location but not cabin, 2nd priority dining choice, higher deposit and 2nd priority for upgrades and tariff 3 available 3 months before departure with same restrictions as the now getaway fare. All tariffs to be renamed

These are the critical areas. If there are genuine upgrades available and it is not just another cynical manipulation of customers it might work.

Basically if you book at brochure price there should be no other passenger aboard who has been given a lower price for a higher grade cabin. In fact upgrades should be offered in a strict booking order sequence so that if they wish early bookers will ALWAYS end up in the higher grade cabins.

For example, i have booked an Oceana cruise for February 2015 in a nd grade inside. i shall be expecting an offer for a free upgrade to a balcony at some stage - fat chance!

These are the critical areas. If there are genuine upgrades available and it is not just another cynical manipulation of customers it might work.

Basically if you book at brochure price there should be no other passenger aboard who has been given a lower price for a higher grade cabin. In fact upgrades should be offered in a strict booking order sequence so that if they wish early bookers will ALWAYS end up in the higher grade cabins.

For example, i have booked an Oceana cruise for February 2015 in a nd grade inside. i shall be expecting an offer for a free upgrade to a balcony at some stage - fat chance!

Totally agree with these comments, about the upgrades.I think some people may book earlier, with bells and whistles, if they know people may get a cheaper cruise, but not a better cabin than them,if both had booked the same grade. We have a vantage cruise booked for next year , and am fully expecting to get our choice of dining and table size etc.

Looks like vantage fares will be changing although bit confused with the three choices, do you think it will still benefit those of us that are early bookers?

It does ask you to to please keep the content of the last stage of the survey confidential. I bet you wont get an upgrade anytime soon:D:D

Why don't they give a decent discount to early bookers and then maintain the price thereafter. Most people, i suspect, like to book their cruises early at a reasonable price and then forget it, knowing they are not going to be undercut. Imho P&O have forced people away from booking early, they now need to force people away from booking late.

I agree , reward early bookers and they should keep it more simple too. I think the reason so many loyal early bookers are so put out is not only the fact getaways are so cheap in comparison but also lots on getaways still get upgrades and odd other perk , it's making a mockery of the vantage fare!

I think if you've booked a vantage you should be upgraded and upgraded again so getaways are in the cheapest cabins, that would be fairer !

It does ask you to to please keep the content of the last stage of the survey confidential. I bet you wont get an upgrade anytime soon:D:D

To be honest, we book early and book our cabin and ask not to be upgraded. Not sure why they would ask for confidentiality when they are sending it to people that book regularly with p&o unless it's to deter booking. Probably

won't be entered in to the prize draw though!:p

In essence early bookers who pay a higher price should always 'bubble' to the top of the cabin categories with the discount fares applied to the lowest grades after free upgrading of early bookers in those grades.

There needs to be substantial real advantages for booking early, not just a choice of cabin number and dinner sitting which is the ridiculous situation at the moment.

How much is the choose your cabin number worth? To me it is £51 per cabin, which is what Thomson charge, per cabin, not per person.

How much is chose your dining option worth? or how much extra are people prepared to pay for that option?

Thanks for all the comments. I thought it was just me and I do wonder whether we will book early in future. We booked for June next year last year and have booked Caribbean for jan 15 , both early with a bit of obc after reading all the advantage fare hype. We like the p&o product but I think unless they treat early bookers well, we will look elsewhere in future.

I agree , reward early bookers and they should keep it more simple too. I think the reason so many loyal early bookers are so put out is not only the fact getaways are so cheap in comparison but also lots on getaways still get upgrades and odd other perk , it's making a mockery of the vantage fare!

I think if you've booked a vantage you should be upgraded and upgraded again so getaways are in the cheapest cabins, that would be fairer !

Agreed 100%, and I say that as a would-be Getaway-er. But designing and implementing a good system would be non-trivial. Would people be willing to accept any cabin upgrade, or would they have to be offered a specific better cabin? If the latter, how long do you give them to accept/decline before asking the next in the queue?

But agree that those who book first should always get first chance of upgrades.

Stuart

To be honest, we book early and book our cabin and ask not to be upgraded. Not sure why they would ask for confidentiality when they are sending it to people that book regularly with p&o unless it's to deter booking. Probably

won't be entered in to the prize draw though!:p

I would have thought it was plainly obvious why they want the survey to be kept confidential. Now look at the rumours that will be flying around.

I would have thought it was plainly obvious why they want the survey to be kept confidential. Now look at the rumours that will be flying around.

Well at least the decision process will be subject to more scrutiny which it appears it needs to be given the HQ track record of daft decisions.

Maybe P&O have relied for too long on the 'UK traditional' market and the tendency for the 'musn't grumble' passengers to dominate the ships. There are better ways of doing things out there that other cruise lines manage to achieve.

Interesting! Something has to change, as they must have been swamped with complaints. We are booked on Azura Caribbean March 2015, wasn't going to book till late but circumstances meant we had to..we always turn down the automatic upgrades, so wonder how that will work if they implement this..will they perhaps ask passengers if they want the upgrade before just shoving them in it?

To be honest, we book early and book our cabin and ask not to be upgraded. Not sure why they would ask for confidentiality when they are sending it to people that book regularly with p&o unless it's to deter booking.

Not everyone - I didn't get one :(

With so many people very unhappy at the moment they need to get it right , I think the big thing is they need to be fair to the people who book early and have some system in place so that regular customers and early bookers feel valued . At the moment it's exactly the oppersite.

They created a monster bringing in getaway fares as it's now become the norm to be able to get a mega deal by waiting.

I'm an ex ta , I retired (early ) just around the time they dropped agents commission and started this new system thinking it would save them 10% ( they used to pay agents 15% which is the norm now it's 5% , agents can't discount on that , they are told they are not allowed but they couldn't afford to anyway unless a big booking ....) and thinking nothing would change but it's been a disaster.

On the old system customers could shop round , agents could give a discount everyone was happy.

There were still late deals but it varied how many and how good as cabins sold well anyway. Most booked early as they didn't want to risk it now it's no risk to wait in fact it's just like Christmas , wait and pay a fraction of orig cost, get a fab cabin etc etc..... What a mess up it is !

Everyone's got wise , early bookings are very low compared to the old system as everyone knows what's to come......empty ships and very cheap deals.

Agents are selling rci, Fred , NCL ,msc in fact anyone else who still pays them a proper commission and po /Cunard are barely being mentioned unless customer pushes for them , you can't blame the agents so it's easy to see how this has all gone terribly wrong.

When I phoned po the other day I was told there had been a huge meeting about it all that morning , someone has been in to sort it out and make changes.

Why can't they just go back three years to what worked well and forget these fancy two and three tier fares ???

Yes agree on the commissiion. Our TA where we get Cruise Miles does not offer P&O at all, only the others you mention including Fred O. We got a really good deal on first leg of world cruise in January. They will take a P&O booking if you ask, but told me it would be cheaper for me to book with P&O and then let the booking go to them so that I get my cruise miles.

Yes agree on the commissiion. Our TA where we get Cruise Miles does not offer P&O at all, only the others you mention including Fred O. We got a really good deal on first leg of world cruise in January. They will take a P&O booking if you ask, but told me it would be cheaper for me to book with P&O and then let the booking go to them so that I get my cruise miles.

It's easy to see now why so many empty cabins at giveaway prices, they need the ta's back onside!!

Should have called getaways "giveaways" ;-)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

With so many people very unhappy at the moment they need to get it right , I think the big thing is they need to be fair to the people who book early and have some system in place so that regular customers and early bookers feel valued . At the moment it's exactly the oppersite.

They created a monster bringing in getaway fares as it's now become the norm to be able to get a mega deal by waiting.

I'm an ex ta , I retired (early ) just around the time they dropped agents commission and started this new system thinking it would save them 10% ( they used to pay agents 15% which is the norm now it's 5% , agents can't discount on that , they are told they are not allowed but they couldn't afford to anyway unless a big booking ....) and thinking nothing would change but it's been a disaster.

On the old system customers could shop round , agents could give a discount everyone was happy.

There were still late deals but it varied how many and how good as cabins sold well anyway. Most booked early as they didn't want to risk it now it's no risk to wait in fact it's just like Christmas , wait and pay a fraction of orig cost, get a fab cabin etc etc..... What a mess up it is !

Everyone's got wise , early bookings are very low compared to the old system as everyone knows what's to come......empty ships and very cheap deals.

Agents are selling rci, Fred , NCL ,msc in fact anyone else who still pays them a proper commission and po /Cunard are barely being mentioned unless customer pushes for them , you can't blame the agents so it's easy to see how this has all gone terribly wrong.

When I phoned po the other day I was told there had been a huge meeting about it all that morning , someone has been in to sort it out and make changes.

Why can't they just go back three years to what worked well and forget these fancy two and three tier fares ???

Sorry can you define "So many people" on our last cruise it was mentioned once. And that was someone on our table. The captain mentioned it and it got a good laugh from the assembled masses.

The discounts. The only people hurt were the TA's who had not given discounts in the past and had kept all of the 15%. The good TA's gave back 10% to the customer thereby keeping the 5% which was left. This is the 5% that they get know. So for the 'good' TA's no change at all and the customer gets the discount. If they give the TA's the 15% again all fares will have to go up by 10% to cover.

So you are asking for fares to go up by 10%.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Archived