Cruise prices sink to all-time lows

dirtymoney

Hi Everyone,

No doubt, there's some great deals out there, and it's partly due to some new ships coming online, and a so-so economy. I also think it depends on many variables, such the cruise line, ship, region, length of cruise, and so on. For the upcoming Caribbean season, it seems the longer sailings are holding up well, while the short sailings are very weak, with many deals out there. My email box is flooded with deals, but mostly for 7 night and shorter sailings.

FWIW, we paid the highest price for our upcoming 14 night Eclipse sailing, than we have paid for the same sailing over the past 4 years.

Airfare costs as well as local safety issues have created a number of cruises that are, shall we say, less than attractive to many folks. The cruise lines always put on a "it's going great" face, but the reality is in the lower prices on SOME cruises. Cruises to "exotic" places are heading up and the ships are filling up. If you want to cruise the Caribbean, there are and always will be irresistible deals given the competition.

I read some of the comments after the article and I have to say they are some of the most stupid, insulting, vile, uneducated comments I have ever read ( and I have been reading a lot of political comments lately so that is saying something:D).

I am not sure I agree about the less expensive Caribbean cruises. Perhaps it is all timing, but in the last one to two years in particular the prices on the cruises we have looked into (and in a couple of cases taken) were considerably higher than we paid several years ago. So I think there are a lot of things that factor in. I would say, look at where the cruise line is offering the biggest bargains, discounts, perks, etc. - that is where the volume is slipping.

Darn' date=' I was hoping to see some really good Celebrity cruise deals. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Cheap prices?! Don't make me laugh! We never had to pay so much for our cabin on our upcoming Silhouette cruise next March!:rolleyes:

How much cheaper do want...

12 nights on Silhouette, Rome to Venice on 19 OCT, at $599pp with $300 OBC

15 nights on Reflection, from Rome on 1 NOV, at $749pp with $375 OBC

14 nights on Equinox, from Barcelona on 25 Nov, at $649pp with $375 OBC...

14 nights on Infinity, from Harwich on 24 OCT, at $599pp with $300 OBC...

14 nights on Silhouette, from Rome on 1 DEC, at $749pp with $350 OBC...

27 nights on Constellation, from Istanbul on 14 Nov, at $1378pp with $625 OBC

Can anyone refresh my memory... Do People in Europe have access to Choice Air, and are the rates the same as in the US???

Edited by teecee60

How much cheaper do want...

12 nights on Silhouette, Rome to Venice on 19 OCT, at $599pp with $300 OBC

15 nights on Reflection, from Rome on 1 NOV, at $749pp with $375 OBC

14 nights on Equinox, from Barcelona on 25 Nov, at $649pp with $375 OBC...

14 nights on Infinity, from Harwich on 24 OCT, at $599pp with $300 OBC...

14 nights on Silhouette, from Rome on 1 DEC, at $749pp with $350 OBC...

27 nights on Constellation, from Istanbul on 14 Nov, at $1378pp with $625 OBC

Can anyone refresh my memory... Do People in Europe have access to Choice Air, and are the rates the same as in the US???

No, certainly in the UK, we can't get Choice Air. Those rates quoted would not be available to Despegue booking in Belgium.

No, certainly in the UK, we can't get Choice Air. Those rates quoted would not be available to Despegue booking in Belgium.

However, would add from October onwards, the weather can be awful in Europe so I am not surprised the prices are so cheap. May to September is the time to go, other months best to be avoided if possible.

FWIW, we paid the highest price for our upcoming 14 night Eclipse sailing, than we have paid for the same sailing over the past 4 years.

Not denying there are cheap sailings - but as you point out, some sailings are also at their most expensive for some time!

It makes sense that with more supply, cheap - less popular - cruises will have to get cheaper to get interest in a competitive market. But overall there's also a lot of high end activity and the lines are pushing prices higher, so it's not an overall situation that cruise prices are down. The implication of that article that its prices overall at all time lows isn't quite right.

Thats true. Europe late fall cruises are incredibly cheap this year. It reminds me on the very low fares we received over here in Europe three years ago when X offered summer cruises to the Caribbean.

The demand seems pretty weak which is certainly the reason that X is pulling their ships earlier to the Caribbean next year.

I have watched the last minute prices for this year's Med cruises in October/November - October prices in general were higher than last year's; but incredible deals were to be had for November because this year's season seems to be longer for Celebrity ships. On the other hand, even for the Mediterranean November is quite late - you can be very lucky and have sun and moderate temperatures. But you can also find Venice flooded ( twice last year in early November ) storms and heavy rains especially in Northern Italy and the South of France. It gets dark early, too, so many of your sail away parties will be in darkness. Some tourist attractions might be closed after November 1st.

So late fall cruises can be excellent choices, but it is a gamble.

And no, in Europe you can't use Choice Air. You can luck out and book a cheap flight, but it is a gamble, too - you never know. If you book a package flight + cruise with the cruise line, you can be lucky, but quite often air fares are quite a lot higher then, even if sometimes the transfers are included.

I saw a similar "news" story on the NBC evening news last night. But it mentioned that the low prices were, at least in part, related to the low demand in off season. I have seen some great last minute rates on Oct & Nov cruises but the prices on our March Eclipse cruise has been steadily increasing since we booked it and is above what we paid last year. I guess that is the difference between cruising in the off season and in the peak season!

Did anyone read the comments at the end of the article??? Talk about a bunch of misinformed jerks! I hope they never DO go on a cruise!!

I read some of the comments. I agree - I hope to never find any of these misinformed people on one of my cruises!!!!!!!!!!!! As my husband would say about many people on any given subject - "Some people are just idiots!"

I found the article to be quite interesting. However, the author should've mentioned that the lowest prices are for Inside Cabins. Also the author did not really state that passengers can leave the ship owing anywhere from $0 to $thousands depending on the choices they make. We all have our budgets and plan accordingly.

Got the Tuesday Specials from Celebrity and a cruise that I am going on in Nov is listed. The prices have gone up and it does not include the drink pack that I also got. Great special. :confused:

I often wonder where these experts come from. They try to come off as experts but in reality their credibility is the same as the on board shopping experts.

.:D

Edited by miched

I found the article to be quite interesting. However, the author should've mentioned that the lowest prices are for Inside Cabins. Also the author did not really state that passengers can leave the ship owing anywhere from $0 to $thousands depending on the choices they make. We all have our budgets and plan accordingly.

But, for the most part, isn't this exactly what the cruise lines and their agents do. I receive numerous e-mails from these folks, including Cruise Critic, advertising low priced cruises "from" $$$. Additionally, if I read the article correctly, the authors were talking about the price of admission, not all the add on such as tours, booze, etc.

Our first cruise in 1999 on Celebrity Mercury was $1,200/pp for a 7nt Western Caribbean.

If your dates are flexible, there are deals to be had! I drool over last minute sailing prices and can't WAIT til the kids are in college and we can zip off with a few days notice! :D

However, would add from October onwards, the weather can be awful in Europe so I am not surprised the prices are so cheap. May to September is the time to go, other months best to be avoided if possible.

Don't agree--we have done three Med cruises in November and have had great times--a little rain now and then but nice and cool and good for touring. In fact, just yesterday DH was saying " with Fall coming, it feels like we should be getting ready for a vacation!!" I wish. . .maybe this Spring. . .

Don't agree--we have done three Med cruises in November and have had great times--a little rain now and then but nice and cool and good for touring. In fact, just yesterday DH was saying " with Fall coming, it feels like we should be getting ready for a vacation!!" I wish. . .maybe this Spring. . .

Hi,

I agree. Last year, I received an incredible deal on a 10-day cruise on the Queen Elizabeth from Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy to Southampton, England that departed in late November. The weather was cool, but generally pleasant in the ports. Also, it was nice having the ports uncrowded and not having to worry about the summer heat. This was an excellent cruise at a great price.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

I checked the price on the December 7 Asia cruise I booked directly through Celebrity. The price dropped indeed: For the amount I spent on a balcony cabin I could have booked a suite via TA sites I normally used for booking in the past. I called Celebrity, and after 10 minutes on hold a very irate voice told me, the price on my cruise went up!! Not true!!! Well, according to the Celebrity policy, no price adjustments or upgrades are made after a final payment, which I made in September. I tried to say, that other travel websites do offer price adjustments up to the sailing date! Alas, not the Celebrity itself....

Well, what can I say- full me once...

The Celebrity's agent even had audacity to ask me if I want to book airfare . No, thanks!!!

Edited by Mypka

I checked the price on the December 7 Asia cruise I booked directly through Celebrity. The price dropped indeed: For the amount I spent on a balcony cabin I could have booked a suite via TA sites I normally used for booking in the past. I called Celebrity, and after 10 minutes on hold a very irate voice told me, the price on my cruise went up!! Not true!!! Well, according to the Celebrity policy, no price adjustments or upgrades are made after a final payment, which I made in September. I tried to say, that other travel websites do offer price adjustments up to the sailing date! Alas, not the Celebrity itself....

The Celebrity's agent even had audacity to ask me if I want to book airfare . No, thanks!!!

This is a long standing policy and many of us have experienced this same frustration--and learned from it. But just so you know, the TA sites would not have been able to upgrade you either as they must adhere to X's policies. That's why many of us will not book until after final payment. . .

This is a long standing policy and many of us have experienced this same frustration--and learned from it. ...... many of us will not book until after final payment. . .

I did not quite understand - how can one book after final payment?

Have you already made final? If not cancel and book the suite thru the TA. We just had 2/3 couples on our Roll Call that got a higher grade cabin when the price dropped below what they had paid for their balcony. This happens all the time, there must be some other factors in your booking for them not to do so.