Rhapsody 2015 Relocation

This is from MSC:MSC Lirica to be Lengthened, MSC Set for Asia/Australia with Orchestra

on 26 November 2013.

MSC Lirica will be stretched.MSC Cruises has announced that the MSC Lirica will be lengthened to the tune of 200 staterooms.

At a press conference in Brazil celebrating the arrival of the MSC Preziosa to the market, MSC confirmed they will add 200 rooms to the Lirica, which was the first newbuild to enter service for MSC when it launched in 2003.

The refurbishment will be completed before the 2014/2015 South America season, which will feature the Preziosa, Poesia, Magnifica and Lirica.

Furthermore, the line said the MSC Orchestra was set to sail in the Red Sea from Dubai, and then head to Asia and Australia in early 2015.

Regards

Frank.

Cheers Frank, for the info.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am on Rhapsody at the moment and have just been to the Captain's talk. Captain said that Rhapsody will leave Australia after the 2015 season and will not be returning and will announce the replacemnt ship in a few months time . My guess ( and only a guess) it will be a bigger ship. The Captain also said there are plans underway to dredge up in Cairns terminal to accommodate more ships.

Edited by wildweston

My money is still on the Legend replacing Rhapsody ( you read it here;);) )

As the Legend (our first cruiseship) is the same size as the Rhapsody, it will be a good swap.

Friends just recently completed a 2-week cruise on the Voyager and weren't too impressed with the time it took to disembark at each port because of the extra 1000 passengers on-board.

We love the Rhapsody because of it's size and will be happy to cruise on the Legend again if she comes down-under.

As the Legend (our first cruiseship) is the same size as the Rhapsody, it will be a good swap.

Friends just recently completed a 2-week cruise on the Voyager and weren't too impressed with the time it took to disembark at each port because of the extra 1000 passengers on-board.

We love the Rhapsody because of it's size and will be happy to cruise on the Legend again if she comes down-under.

Legend is actually about 10,000 tonnes (GRT) smaller than Rhapsody. I'm still hearing rumours of Mariner or possibly Jewel coming down here to replace Rhapsody.

Thanks wildwesto, gbenjo and gaechann.

Sorry to see Rhapsody go, we had a great cruise on her.

RCI Australia are on the record saying they want larger ships based in Sydney. I think this is because of the OPT capacity constraint (and the fact that they seem to have good loadings). The port schedule confirms the capacity issue. gbenjo, it sounds like you're well connected and I see a mention that Legend can go under the Harbour Bridge - obviously handy.

With the European economy in such an abysmal state and Rhapsody adding to RCI's capacity there, I'm guessing we'll get a ship that is currently based in Europe... Serenade perhaps - the Radiance class that operates mostly out of Rome & Spain. :)

Another Voyager class ship or a Freedom class wouldn't work well at all - tendering is required in so many Sth Pacific ports and is impractical.

Guess we'll find out in due course. :cool:

My money is still on a ship in the same class. They already have bigger ships here, so losing Rhapsody size would cause them to lose the smaller flexibility they currently have.

The flexibility of the Vision class ships is great (and I like the smaller size and faster tendering), but why would they reduce capacity however slightly in a market that is apparently performing so well for RCI? I hope not. If Legend or another Vision ship comes here, maybe she will operate out of Brisbane or Melbourne for at least part of the season and we get a 4th. Can't let Princess have it all to themselves. :)

Does anyone else think it's odd that royalcaribbean.com has the following caption under the Legend of the Seas "Breathtaking destinations along Asia's exotic coast"? The schedule currently shows no cruises in Asia!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=VI&shipCode=LG&br=R

The flexibility of the Vision class ships is great (and I like the smaller size and faster tendering), but why would they reduce capacity however slightly in a market that is apparently performing so well for RCI? I hope not. If Legend or another Vision ship comes here, maybe she will operate out of Brisbane or Melbourne for at least part of the season and we get a 4th. Can't let Princess have it all to themselves. :)

Does anyone else think it's odd that royalcaribbean.com has the following caption under the Legend of the Seas "Breathtaking destinations along Asia's exotic coast"? The schedule currently shows no cruises in Asia!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=VI&shipCode=LG&br=R

That is strange.

BTW, Welcome to CC.:D

The flexibility of the Vision class ships is great (and I like the smaller size and faster tendering), but why would they reduce capacity however slightly in a market that is apparently performing so well for RCI?

The slight variation in passenger numbers is less important than having the right ships in the right places for suitable itineraries for the market.

Also, while the local market is performing well overall, Rhapsody is currently the weakest performing of the three here so having a slight drop in capacity isn't likely to be a major concern.

Inconsistent and incorrect yes, but not odd, if you're familiar with the accuracy of RCL's website, and the way things get updated. ;)

You can see the same issue here: http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=VI&shipCode=VI&br=R and I wouldn't be surprised if others exist too.

Legend was based out of Singapore for a time and finished up earlier this year - they probably just havent updated the website yet - no surprise about that!

I'm still hoping that its Mariner that comes here after her 2015 Asian cruises.

Just off Rhapsody this morning. Loyalty lounge selling well on the repositioning cruises to Instanbul but prices are high.

No confirmation yet on her replacement but plenty of rumours. Hopefully another Vision class and everyone including crew sorry to be leaving Australia. As the Capt said, we will know soon enough.

Missed out on Mystery Island and overnighted at Luganville :mad: for urgent corrosion repairs. Everyone compensated with a few dollars to help pay the bar bill😛

Hugh

Just off Rhapsody this morning. Loyalty lounge selling well on the repositioning cruises to Instanbul but prices are high.

No confirmation yet on her replacement but plenty of rumours. Hopefully another Vision class and everyone including crew sorry to be leaving Australia. As the Capt said, we will know soon enough.

Missed out on Mystery Island and overnighted at Luganville :mad: for urgent corrosion repairs. Everyone compensated with a few dollars to help pay the bar bill

Hugh

Is that code for the ship having rusty bottom?:D

That is strange.

BTW, Welcome to CC.:D

Thanks! :)

What about this idea... The widened Panama opens around 2015, making it possible to move larger ships between the Caribbean and Alaska, and enabling RCL to avoid the long reloc across the Pacific. As a result, our replacement for Rhapsody is shared with Asia rather than Alaska. That would almost be a larger ship like the Mariner. Crazy? :cool:

Hi, I am on Rhapsody at the moment and have just been to the Captain's talk. Captain said that Rhapsody will leave Australia after the 2015 season and will not be returning and will announce the replacemnt ship in a few months time . My guess ( and only a guess) it will be a bigger ship. The Captain also said there are plans underway to dredge up in Cairns terminal to accommodate more ships.

They have been talking about that since Adam was a boy:D

I wish they would just get on and do it. Cairns would make an ideal cruise hub...the cruise lines could do fly/cruise deals and give the business to Qantas.

Its a great place for a pre/post cruise stay.

We are still on the Rhapsody and there was a discussion with the Captain at Captain's Table regarding the Rhapsody and her replacement ship. The discussion involved the Voyager not having tender boats and it seems that it would be getting them during its refurb. He also told us RCI wanted to aim at the younger people and beaches - hence bigger ships with tenders. There was general talk of the Mariner coming down.

There was also talk about Newcastle being developed to take bigger ships as Sydney cannot cope with them.

Cheers

Di

We are still on the Rhapsody and there was a discussion with the Captain at Captain's Table regarding the Rhapsody and her replacement ship. The discussion involved the Voyager not having tender boats and it seems that it would be getting them during its refurb. He also told us RCI wanted to aim at the younger people and beaches - hence bigger ships with tenders. There was general talk of the Mariner coming down.

There was also talk about Newcastle being developed to take bigger ships as Sydney cannot cope with them.

Cheers

Di

Seems to be a lot of interesting talk but also speculation. I suppose time will tell, but some of these plans seem like it is better for the aussie cruise market.:D

Cheers

Di

Though secondary hubs like that aren't popular.

They have been talking about that since Adam was a boy:D

I wish they would just get on and do it. Cairns would make an ideal cruise hub...the cruise lines could do fly/cruise deals and give the business to Qantas.

Its a great place for a pre/post cruise stay.

Absolutely agree

Cheers

Di

I wonder if that means they plan to base a ship here and cruise north and to the South Pacific in winter.

Otherwise most Aussies live near a beach already. Unlike many Americans and Canadians, who only go to the beach on holidays.

I wonder if that means they plan to base a ship here and cruise north and to the South Pacific in winter.

Otherwise most Aussies live near a beach already. Unlike many Americans and Canadians, who only go to the beach on holidays.

The south Pacific seems a reasonable destination for them.:D

The south Pacific seems a reasonable destination for them.:D

It would be great to have another cruise line to cruise to the South Pacific during our winter, not so much for the warmth as we're located in a mild climate but to avoid the cyclones that are prevalent during our summer.

Gae