Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

I agree with this. I know it is something that people are worried about. But, IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!!!! People, you will be on vacation. Just sit back and relax. I am doing a B2B on the Allure in less than a month and I had some things planned for St. Thomas and Nassau. I just changed my plans, no big deal.

I guess people are just setting things up for "what will you give me because my vacation has been ruined by this".

Maybe RCCL should just cancel everyone's cruises and send the ship to Europe to get fixed. Let it be out of service for a few weeks and see how many people start complaining. You are still getting your cruise, just losing a few hours in port. Big Deal.

Let the flaming begin. :)

Listen, Nobody has asked for anything other than information.

I sail in 10 days, making this a very important topic to be well informed of, FOR PLANNING REASONS! Not for Handouts.....jerk.

I am responsible for my entire family of 7. With 5 who have never sailed before and have some big expectations for their vacation, So I am the point man responsible for removing all the stress from the planing that they certainly would have had (I know, its how they are).....

Itinerary changes will definitely interrupt some of the plans we have on-shore, including the ONLY excursion my family decided they couldn't live without.....Thats great your plans are pretty fluid, but most aren't. SO take a hike.

Listen, Nobody has asked for anything other than information.

I sail in 10 days, making this a very important topic to be well informed of, FOR PLANNING REASONS! Not for Handouts.....jerk.

I am responsible for my entire family of 7. With 5 who have never sailed before and have some big expectations for their vacation, So I am the point man responsible for removing all the stress from the planing that they certainly would have had (I know, its how they are).....

Itinerary changes will definitely interrupt some of the plans we have on-shore, including the ONLY excursion my family decided they couldn't live without.....Thats great your plans are pretty fluid, but most aren't. SO take a hike.

I am feeling the same pressure. I have going with a total of 10 people, 6 who have never cruised. I have kept them updated with all the info I have but I know some of them are not very happy cause it seems their Sea Lion excursion might be cancelled.

I am feeling the same pressure. I have going with a total of 10 people, 6 who have never cruised. I have kept them updated with all the info I have but I know some of them are not very happy cause it seems their Sea Lion excursion might be cancelled.

I'm sure were both one of the many in this position!

We have booked a dolphin swim, If I knew more information, I may just re-schedule that for the ST. Martin port day and cancel our current excursion (if RCCL would let us, plus the family doesn't want to do that)......Thats my real point of contention with this whole deal.

Its only fair that they do as much as they can ahead of time to let people know the status of things.

I know I was harsh in my previous post, but that guy just hit the right button with the "what will you give me" comment. I don't recall anyone mentioning anything about compensation.

BTW, if this was a Carnival ship, there would be a whole tab on their website giving updates!

Edited by MASCREW

I agree with this. I know it is something that people are worried about. But, IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!!!! People, you will be on vacation. Just sit back and relax. I am doing a B2B on the Allure in less than a month and I had some things planned for St. Thomas and Nassau. I just changed my plans, no big deal.

I guess people are just setting things up for "what will you give me because my vacation has been ruined by this".

Maybe RCCL should just cancel everyone's cruises and send the ship to Europe to get fixed. Let it be out of service for a few weeks and see how many people start complaining. You are still getting your cruise, just losing a few hours in port. Big Deal.

People are planning events, gathering information, why would you bother posting something so silly!

I'm sure were both one of the many in this position!

We have booked a dolphin swim, If I knew more information, I may just re-schedule that for the ST. Martin port day and cancel our current excursion (if RCCL would let us, plus the family doesn't want to do that)......Thats my real point of contention with this whole deal.

Its only fair that they do as much as they can ahead of time to let people know the status of things.

I know I was harsh in my previous post, but that guy just hit the right button with the "what will you give me" comment. I don't recall anyone mentioning anything about compensation.

BTW, if this was a Carnival ship, there would be a whole tab on their website giving updates!

I wouldn't cancel anything just yet (well unless the family really wants to), who knows, maybe they will fix the ship before you sail. Just let the people in your group know that it might get cancelled. I have only read about the Sea Lion excursion being cancelled at the Blue Lagoon but I know the Dolphin Swin is in the same place at the same time.

I just posted on Dolphin Encounters FB page asking if their excursions with the Allure have been cancelled. Maybe they will give us an answer.

Edited by lvstitch

For those of you who want absolute confirmation that this weeks itinerary has been altered, Please read post # 36 from someone onboard the Allure. Yesterday, I tried to post an additional thread here on the RCCL board about RCCL's lack of candor. The thread never went anywhere. So I guess it's OK for RCCL to say something is not happening, or to not directly answer a question, I.e. "Has the itinerary been altered?", answered as " the slightly reduced speed does not interfere with the safety or maneuverability of the ship". And we have to trust these people. Do you really think they would tell you upfront if the safety or maneuverability was being compromised...a little, like the itinerary is being changed...a little?

For those of you who want absolute confirmation that this weeks itinerary has been altered, Please read post # 36 from someone onboard the Allure. Yesterday, I tried to post an additional thread here on the RCCL board about RCCL's lack of candor. The thread never went anywhere. So I guess it's OK for RCCL to say something is not happening, or to not directly answer a question, I.e. "Has the itinerary been altered?", answered as " the slightly reduced speed does not interfere with the safety or maneuverability of the ship". And we have to trust these people. Do you really think they would tell you upfront if the safety or maneuverability was being compromised...a little, like the itinerary is being changed...a little?
I do not think they would operate the ship if the safety or maneuverability was being compromised. Why do you think they would?

My question is that in light of their unwillingness to provide a forthright and direct answer to the question, " has the itinerary been altered?", would you trust them to be honest about anything that they could stonewall or put a spin on. Not, would they do it, but would you trust them to be honest about it? They certainly have not convinced me, and my feelings on this matter do count.

Rcrdale.... I am not about to " sit back and relax". Unlike you, I did not book a B2B. I selected, booked and paid for an itinerary that included 3 stops where I could plan ahead, as I am disabled, for excursions that would allow me to visit at least 3 beautiful beaches on 3 different islands. To make this happen requires quite a bit of coordination. Now that RCCL either will or will not be able to allow me to coordinate my plans for 2 of the 3 stops, and in any event, will not advise me that there is a possibility that I may have to alter my plans although at this time it looks as if they will, is a big deal to me. Certainly not the end of the world, but enough to consider cancelling this cruise, which I am able to do without penalty. So you go and enjoy your B2Bnow, without a thought of what others might be going through.

I expect absolutely no compensation. I know RCI has the right to modify or change the itinerary however they need to. My biggest fear is that my cruise will be cancelled.

Agreed, I don't expect compensation either, and they do have the right to alter the itinerary. But if they do then they MUST give us better warning than handing us the info as we step onto the ship. At this point they have got to know whether or not certain sailings (like mine for the Thanksgiving cruise) will be effected. And if they are, then friggin let people know! That would be extremely irritating to find that out at the 11th hour as we then have to scramble to make other plans at the different ports. RCI can do better than this.

This is by far one of the most ridiculous posts that I have read in awhile. Why should anyone just sit back and relax when they are spending thousands of dollars and trying to plan their vacation? All anyone is looking for is information and truthful information at that. RCI knows what is going on. Yet, their response is that there is no problem with the ship. However, people who are actually on the ship seem to be indicating other wise. Why the secrecy? Is RCI worried that it will cost them reservations so they tell no one until they have boarded the ship? Maybe you find this acceptable but others don't and I am one of the others. My preference is for our next cruise to be on Allure. However, if this substandard (in my opinion)itinerary is going to be in affect when our cruise comes up then I'd rather know while I still have time to find an alternate cruise.

Now to quote your last line.... let the flaming begin.

Edited by Ocean Boy

My question is that in light of their unwillingness to provide a forthright and direct answer to the question, " has the itinerary been altered?", would you trust them to be honest about anything that they could stonewall or put a spin on. Not, would they do it, but would you trust them to be honest about it? They certainly have not convinced me, and my feelings on this matter do count.

It may well be a highly variable situation. In other words sea and weather conditions may play a role in how big or little an impact the Azipod problem has on the itinerary. Sometimes this may be known ahead of time, most times likely not.

Couple that with the natural reticence of corporations to say anything that might later be contradicted by unfolding events and it is no surprise to me that Royal Caribbean is not willing to say more than they have.

As far as I know Royal Caribbean has been very direct and honest in answering the question "Has the itinerary been altered?" They have answered in the negative. But acknowledged that there is a mechanical issue with one Azipod. An issue that they do not expect to significantly affect itineraries.

As we all know even under the most ideal circumstances cruise itineraries are variable. Ships arrive early or late and depart early or late. All depending on particular circumstances and with little or no preplanning.

Sometimes peoples expectations of the foresight of others astounds me.

A note on reports of different arrival and departure times. There are times when ships are expected to arrive and times when passengers are expected to debark. There are times when passengers must be aboard and times when ships leave the pier. Toss in two different time zones and it is no surprise to me that there is a remarkable variance in times being reported by people.

As far as I know Royal Caribbean has been very direct and honest in answering the question "Has the itinerary been altered?" They have answered in the negative. But acknowledged that there is a mechanical issue with one Azipod. An issue that they do not expect to significantly affect itineraries.

Passengers on consecutive Eastern sailings reported shortened port calls at Nassau and St Thomas. Only if you use the most pedantic, rigid terms can RCL argue this isn't an itinerary alteration.

Acts of nature are one thing; mechanical issues are the responsibility of the operator.

If my cruise weren't three weeks out, I'd cancel.

HELLO...UNFORSEEN, unexpected? Not so. The Allure sailing is really on 3 port calls on a 7 day itinerary, a little stingy but well known in advance, mostly because of the size of the ship and the ship itself being the destination for many, but not all of us. And most of the attraction for the first call in Nassau is Atlantis or the Blue Lagoon, pricey excursions that sell out fast. And an attraction for the younger passengers, more so than STT or STM. And a short day also, so people are reluctant to take private excursions, but if they have a group traveling together, they sometimes do, as it is very cost effective. RCCL knows well in advance that they have a problem with their scheduled time in port at Nassau, given the propulsion problem. They also know that they have not, as of yet, determined when or exactly how they will fix it. They knew in advance of this sailing that they would definitely curtail the Nassau call. People inquired in advance and RCCL said they knew nothing of this, ONE HOUR before they distributed a written communication to passengers once they boarded the ship. They did the same thing on the prior Easter Carib itinerary two weeks ago. I fail to find this random and uncontrollable. I find these actions less than forthcoming. Your logic escapes me, but it is your logic.

In addition , offering what amounts to be 4 hours of daylight with their adjusted itinerary for StThomas this week, which they knew of in advance yet again stonewalled the passengers who asked, leaves for a pretty poor cruise, especially for some who payed in the tens of thousands for 3 beach days with a multi- generational family.. No one is even contesting that. Fool me once (knowing about this and the last Eastern Caribbean sailing) shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I am on the next( nov 10) Eastern Caribbean sailing. Do you think it will be a RANDOM, UNCONTROLLABLE, UNFORSEEABLE CHANGEDO or ABBREVIATED iITINERARY? Or do you think they will either a) acknowledge the problem and fix it or b) acknowledge the problem and announce an amended itinerary. No compensation necessary. Just help us make plans.

It's fine if you don't like Nassau and I respect your opinion. However I don't like you using terms like "The armpit of the Caribbean!" as Nassau is one of my favorite ports. How would you like it if someone posted "insert derogatory remark here" about Wauwatosa, WI. BTY the Bahamas are not even in the Caribbean!

I've been to Wauwatosa! Many times. Not an arm pit...Just WAYYYY to close to Milwaukee for my tastes. Move it to the crazy side of Madison....Now your talking!

HELLO...UNFORSEEN, unexpected? Not so. The Allure sailing is really on 3 port calls on a 7 day itinerary, a little stingy but well known in advance, mostly because of the size of the ship and the ship itself being the destination for many, but not all of us. And most of the attraction for the first call in Nassau is Atlantis or the Blue Lagoon, pricey excursions that sell out fast. And an attraction for the younger passengers, more so than STT or STM. And a short day also, so people are reluctant to take private excursions, but if they have a group traveling together, they sometimes do, as it is very cost effective. RCCL knows well in advance that they have a problem with their scheduled time in port at Nassau, given the propulsion problem. They also know that they have not, as of yet, determined when or exactly how they will fix it. They knew in advance of this sailing that they would definitely curtail the Nassau call. People inquired in advance and RCCL said they knew nothing of this, ONE HOUR before they distributed a written communication to passengers once they boarded the ship. They did the same thing on the prior Easter Carib itinerary two weeks ago. I fail to find this random and uncontrollable. I find these actions less than forthcoming. Your logic escapes me, but it is your logic.

In addition , offering what amounts to be 4 hours of daylight with their adjusted itinerary for StThomas this week, which they knew of in advance yet again stonewalled the passengers who asked, leaves for a pretty poor cruise, especially for some who payed in the tens of thousands for 3 beach days with a multi- generational family.. No one is even contesting that. Fool me once (knowing about this and the last Eastern Caribbean sailing) shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I am on the next( nov 10) Eastern Caribbean sailing. Do you think it will be a RANDOM, UNCONTROLLABLE, UNFORSEEABLE CHANGEDO or ABBREVIATED iITINERARY? Or do you think they will either a) acknowledge the problem and fix it or b) acknowledge the problem and announce an amended itinerary. No compensation necessary. Just help us make plans.

I know that you feel bad based on your post here, however, if you read your cruise contract that you signed before printing your Set Sail Pass, you would have noted that itinerary and times can be adjusted for whatever reason the cruise line feels is necessary. If you booked beach days with a private provider, you should have made sure that your money was refundable if you couldn't make it for any reason.

If you really feel that upset, why don't you call the Resolution Desk at RCCL and ask them what they can do for you.

The ship is functioning fine, it is just going a little slower. The ship is an awesome ship with great shows, wonderful crew and fabulous things to keep you busy all day long. Maybe focus on the good and not so much on the "shortened port days"! ;)

Agreed, I don't expect compensation either, and they do have the right to alter the itinerary. But if they do then they MUST give us better warning than handing us the info as we step onto the ship. At this point they have got to know whether or not certain sailings (like mine for the Thanksgiving cruise) will be effected. And if they are, then friggin let people know! That would be extremely irritating to find that out at the 11th hour as we then have to scramble to make other plans at the different ports. RCI can do better than this.

If you are worried about the Allure you have plenty of time to change your booking. The Oasis leaves one day earlier and seems to be in good health . Vacation sailing should be about planning for all the fun you and yours will have and not about the ship having a mechanical failure . We rode four days on Sandy last year and the propulsion issue will not be that bad. We will board Sunday and are very excited to do so.

The ship is an awesome ship with great shows, wonderful crew and fabulous things to keep you busy all day long. Maybe focus on the good and not so much on the "shortened port days"! ;)

Before I explain why I disagree with you, let me first explain that I'm sailing a Western itinerary three days from now, and therefore these problems and changes won't apply to me.

Back in the planning stages for this cruise, we knew exactly what week we has available and we knew we wanted Oasis class. So for this week coming up, Oasis is doing Eastern and Allure is doing Western.

We were on Allure last year so we know what a great destination the ship itself is. But we chose this upcoming cruise BASED ON THE SHORE EXCURSIONS. I took a pad of paper and wrote down for each cruise all of the shore excursions we'd have realistic possibility of choosing for each port. Based on the shore excursion experiences available to us, THAT is how I came to choose taking Allure this Sunday versus Oasis this Saturday.

And I had a very strong opinion in favor of the Western itinerary because of the excursions available. Same with my wife and each of my two kids.

So now you should understand why I couldn't so cavalierly dismiss the shortened port days. If my chosen shore excursions aren't available, then the reason I booked one cruise over another becomes meaningless.

Yeh, I'd be VERY disappointed if my reason for choosing a certain cruise got taken away!

I know that you feel bad based on your post here, however, if you read your cruise contract that you signed before printing your Set Sail Pass, you would have noted that itinerary and times can be adjusted for whatever reason the cruise line feels is necessary. If you booked beach days with a private provider, you should have made sure that your money was refundable if you couldn't make it for any reason.

If you really feel that upset, why don't you call the Resolution Desk at RCCL and ask them what they can do for you.

The ship is functioning fine, it is just going a little slower. The ship is an awesome ship with great shows, wonderful crew and fabulous things to keep you busy all day long. Maybe focus on the good and not so much on the "shortened port days"! ;)

A bit of a contradiction I would say. And, yes, the itinerary can be altered for any reason. But if RCI knows in advance of a sailing that a ship is having issues and there will be alterations it would be appropriate to inform the affected customers as soon as possible. And that, to me, means before they walk onto the ship. RCI has been denying any issue with the ship or alterations in itineraries even though we all know that both conditions exist.

But, hey, you are right, there is no mention of ethics any where in the cruise contract.

A bit of a contradiction I would say. And, yes, the itinerary can be altered for any reason. But if RCI knows in advance of a sailing that a ship is having issues and there will be alterations it would be appropriate to inform the affected customers as soon as possible. And that, to me, means before they walk onto the ship. RCI has been denying any issue with the ship or alterations in itineraries even though we all know that both conditions exist.

But, hey, you are right, there is no mention of ethics any where in the cruise contract.

I'm not sure that it is reasonable to assume that Royal Caribbean knows in advance that alterations in an itinerary will be necessary. People here and who follow Royal Caribbean on Facebook are aware that there are mechanical issues.

Again, the nature of the problem may be such that particular sea and/or weather conditions determine the probability of the sailing times changing significantly.

I wonder what the reaction would be by some posters here should Royal Caribbean announce the possibility of an itinerary change only to stick to the original itinerary?

I expect that many complaining now about reticence would be lambasting Royal Caribbean for "lying" and causing them to miss their (privately arranged) xyz excursion.

Private excursions have always been with the understanding that the ship may arrive late, may not arrive, and will depart on time. What has changed?