Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

If you book shore excursions outside of RCCL, you should always ensure that if the ship changes times/itinerary, you can receive a refund. Have you ever been on a cruise when you miss a port due to high seas?

Being told in advance of any issue other than the ship can't sail, is pointless. Your shore excursions through RCCL are protected monetarily, so everything remains the same.

Ok, then let me reiterate this again, for a third time - its not a question of a refund, its a question of giving passengers the common, basic courtesy of time so that if we do have to cancel an excursion, we can have ample time to, if possible, make other plans and research those plans now, rather than dumping that news on us (along with the stress that goes along with it) at the worst possible time, a.k.a. the moment we get on board. I'm sure I'm not the only one who approaches any vacation by doing extensive planning ahead of time in an effort to remove any possible stress from the vacation itself (which inherently would defeat the purpose of the vacation in the first place). I don't want to have to sit in Port Everglades as we await boarding stressing out over whether we're going to get some itinerary change info the moment we step across the gangway; rather I would much prefer to just be excited and stress-free as I look forward to stepping on board, eating, drinking, and having fun.

BTW, as I mentioned in another thread, the Blue Lagoon Beach Break was one of my wife's very favorite beach excursions (and one of mine, too, as I had a killer time snorkeling on the north side of the island), but this time I had to go through absolute hell to get it booked. RCI, for reasons unknown, was not offering it for our 11/24 sailing (or any sailing after late Oct) but they were offering all the other Blue Lagoon options. Blue Lagoon (after ENDLESS emails) finally said they were offering it directly, however when I tried to book it with them they said they couldn't do it because we were RCI passengers and they have a contract with them (but RCI wasn't offering it, idiots! grrrr). Finally, after literally weeks of effort, phone calls, and emails, to my amazement and great joy I happened to find out that my TA offered the exact excursion, same price, same everything, through their excursion department, so I booked it. Trust me, if you were in my shoes on this one, hearing that after all garbage that I might actually have to cancel it, you'd be ready to go ballistic too :mad::(

Edited by joeski27

Before I explain why I disagree with you, let me first explain that I'm sailing a Western itinerary three days from now, and therefore these problems and changes won't apply to me.

Back in the planning stages for this cruise, we knew exactly what week we has available and we knew we wanted Oasis class. So for this week coming up, Oasis is doing Eastern and Allure is doing Western.

We were on Allure last year so we know what a great destination the ship itself is. But we chose this upcoming cruise BASED ON THE SHORE EXCURSIONS. I took a pad of paper and wrote down for each cruise all of the shore excursions we'd have realistic possibility of choosing for each port. Based on the shore excursion experiences available to us, THAT is how I came to choose taking Allure this Sunday versus Oasis this Saturday.

And I had a very strong opinion in favor of the Western itinerary because of the excursions available. Same with my wife and each of my two kids.

So now you should understand why I couldn't so cavalierly dismiss the shortened port days. If my chosen shore excursions aren't available, then the reason I booked one cruise over another becomes meaningless.

Yeh, I'd be VERY disappointed if my reason for choosing a certain cruise got taken away!

I'm will be also on western but after your sailing, I do agree. For me its both ship and shore excursion.

The one I picked in Mexico is going to take up the whole port time, so any early departure will affect that shore excursion.

Good thing it won't likely affect Western but can't say the same for eastern.

Ok, then let me reiterate this again, for a third time - its not a question of a refund, its a question of giving passengers the common, basic courtesy of time so that if we do have to cancel an excursion, we can have ample time to, if possible, make other plans and research those plans now, rather than dumping that news on us (along with the stress that goes along with it) at the worst possible time, a.k.a. the moment we get on board. I'm sure I'm not the only one who approaches any vacation by doing extensive planning ahead of time in an effort to remove any possible stress from the vacation itself (which inherently would defeat the purpose of the vacation in the first place). I don't want to have to sit in Port Everglades as we await boarding stressing out over whether we're going to get some itinerary change info the moment we step across the gangway; rather I would much prefer to just be excited and stress-free as I look forward to stepping on board, eating, drinking, and having fun.

I understand your point, and I agree with your basic summation, but I often wonder who is more stressed on a vacation; someone who knows all the options and has planned carefully, or the casual person who is somewhat oblivious and carefree to the whole thing. Seems to me that if you plan things out, to avoid stress, if everything goes to plan you are happy as a clam, but if they deviate it can be disaster.

Another possibility is that the issue can be rectified while the ship is in use but it could be very time consuming to get the right crew, tools, parts, etc. It's possible they have been working on it and no one even knows but the cruiseline itself really.

I think this is a possibility because at first, if I understand correctly, they did not shut the azipod down, just reduced power. Now it is shut down. If it is shut down it at least has the ability to be serviced. So, to my mind, that is a possibility. It's tough to guess what may or may not be possible to do, but the ship is a really massive scale and the engines are like two story single family homes.

But, again, I agree with your basic point; if the problem is going to REMAIN for the foreseeable future, yes, people should be advised of known, consistent, and predictable changes in previously published itinerary. I don't think it gives anyone the option to bail without penalty if past that payment point as the fundamental nature of the vacation hasn't changed, but yes, tours and excursions are affected.

I still say 86 Nassau. Taking the worlds largest ship to an overpriced waterslide seems superfluous. Quality time at a more southern island would be appreciated. How great would 7am - Midnight be in St Maarten? Amirite or amirite?

Too all the people demanding that RCCL let everyone know that yes they do have a problem with the propulsion system. My question is this, when they do announce that there is a problem and that some port of calls might be shortened, how is that going to change anything? We are all aware that there are people reporting there is an issue. That the last 2 eastern itineraries have had reduced port times in Nassau and St Thomas.

I don't understand how having RCCL admit there is a problem changes anything. We will still have shortened times in Nassau and St Thomas reguardless.

As I stated in an earlier post, after I saw that they had changed the times a second time, I called and changed my private excursions to be on the safe side.

Maybe I just don't get it. :confused:

Not every one is a seasoned cruiser/traveler and I bet there will be many, many passengers that are oblivious of the changes to the itinerary when they board the ship.

If I had an excursion booked through RCI and it was impacted- the last thing I would want to do my first day on the ship is to spend hours waiting in line with the hundreds of other passengers that are impacted trying to sort out my alternatives at Guest Services.

Even worse, if you have something booked with a private company, now you have no way of getting in touch with them. If you have already given them a deposit you now have to worry about spending your shortened port day chasing down your money for a trip you can't take because you don't have enough time.

RCI could alleviate so much stress for people if they told them up front of the changes. That way passengers could make plans before they get on the ship and not waste precious vacation time.

I still say 86 Nassau. Taking the worlds largest ship to an overpriced waterslide seems superfluous. Quality time at a more southern island would be appreciated. How great would 7am - Midnight be in St Maarten? Amirite or amirite?

Yeah I do agree with that, particularly given that in the case of Nassau, by removing even 1.5 hrs from the stay, it leaves you with next to no options for a plan B in terms of an excursion, beach time, etc. So in light of that fact, why even stop there? Most will just stay on the ship anyway for a sun deck day, which can be done at sea with more time left in, for example, St. Thomas.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yeah I do agree with that, particularly given that in the case of Nassau, by removing even 1.5 hrs from the stay, it leaves you with next to no options for a plan B in terms of an excursion, beach time, etc. So in light of that fact, why even stop there? Most will just stay on the ship anyway for a sun deck day, which can be done at sea with more time left in, for example, St. Thomas.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I would be very surprised if RCI did not have an agreement with the port of Nassau with X number of passengers per week as compensation for all the improvements to the port for the big ships. They have a similar agreement with FLL for the improvements there. By scratching Nassau they probably are obligated to pay certain fees even if they don't land any passengers. So as long as they push pull or drag the ship into Nassau... the stop is probably here to stay!

Too all the people demanding that RCCL let everyone know that yes they do have a problem with the propulsion system. My question is this, when they do announce that there is a problem and that some port of calls might be shortened, how is that going to change anything? We are all aware that there are people reporting there is an issue. That the last 2 eastern itineraries have had reduced port times in Nassau and St Thomas.

I don't understand how having RCCL admit there is a problem changes anything. We will still have shortened times in Nassau and St Thomas reguardless.

As I stated in an earlier post, after I saw that they had changed the times a second time, I called and changed my private excursions to be on the safe side.

Maybe I just don't get it. :confused:

You are correct. You don't get it. If RCI would provide a time frame for how long they expect this issue to go on then many people who still have the option to cancel and look for something else could do so if they so choose. And if they don't care, or it looks like the problem will be resolved before their sailings, then they can sit back and plan their vacation days. Not everyone with cruises scheduled on Allure are in the penalty phase for cancelations.

Does that make it any more clear?

There is hardly any time to spend in Nassau anyways, well when i was on the Allure in May.. We had time to do our Snorekling thing and the wife went to the strawmarket, Tourist Trap... I ended up getting nothing i hate high pressured tatics to guilt my into buying some knick nacks..

What do expect on a message board dealing with cruising?

I agree, but one of the OP that keeps on replying to this thread is gonna give herself a stroke if she doesnt CALM DOWN! :eek:

I dont even have a cruise booked at the moment! Not sure when I will either. Id LOVE to have her problems right now! :D

If I were gonna be that upset about even a slight itinerary change, Id probably book a land based vacation where mechanical issues could not come into play. Thats just me though :)

I understand your point, and I agree with your basic summation, but I often wonder who is more stressed on a vacation; someone who knows all the options and has planned carefully, or the casual person who is somewhat oblivious and carefree to the whole thing. Seems to me that if you plan things out, to avoid stress, if everything goes to plan you are happy as a clam, but if they deviate it can be disaster.

People's basic personalities are what they are. It doesn't matter if they are dealing with a vacation or the "real world". Yes, some folks can chill out and take things as they come. Others, not so much. And yes your point obviously makes sense and would make life much easier. However, people, simply, cannot change who they are for the one week that they leave their regular lives behind and step aboard a cruise ship. That is one of the reasons that I would not cruise for less than a week. It takes me a bit of time to let go and revert to living on "island time".;)

I would be very surprised if RCI did not have an agreement with the port of Nassau with X number of passengers per week as compensation for all the improvements to the port for the big ships. They have a similar agreement with FLL for the improvements there. By scratching Nassau they probably are obligated to pay certain fees even if they don't land any passengers. So as long as they push pull or drag the ship into Nassau... the stop is probably here to stay!
I think you just hit the nail on the head.

I would love to miss Nassau been on 50 cruises and been there so many times we don't even get off but we are booked on the Allure and thinking of cancelling not because of her actual problem we don't mind going slower but I wonder whether the ship is rocky because of the problem. If the ship is unstable I sure as heck going to cancel because two people in my family (we have four rooms total) are prone to sea sickness if a ship is rocky. Can anybody comment whether the ship was rocky more than normal?

I agree, but one of the OP that keeps on replying to this thread is gonna give herself a stroke if she doesnt CALM DOWN! :eek:

I dont even have a cruise booked at the moment! Not sure when I will either. Id LOVE to have her problems right now! :D

If I were gonna be that upset about even a slight itinerary change, Id probably book a land based vacation where mechanical issues could not come into play. Thats just me though :)

You know Ryan, it is RCI denials that are getting to me. In my practice if I think it is probable that I am not going to be in the office at a certain time I have my secretaries call people with appointments and inform them. They then have the option to stick to their original appointment and take their chances or they can change it. Their lives and their time have just as much value as mine. If they all reschedule and I happen to make it to the office I would rather sit there with nothing to do and loose that income rather than having had taken the chance that I screwed up their lives just to accommodate my life. That is how I run my business. I look at it as simple respect. And I guess I see RCI's response to this issue as a lack of respect. It is just my view on life I guess.

I would love to miss Nassau been on 50 cruises and been there so many times we don't even get off but we are booked on the Allure and thinking of cancelling not because of her actual problem we don't mind going slower but I wonder whether the ship is rocky because of the problem. If the ship is unstable I sure as heck going to cancel because two people in my family (we have four rooms total) are prone to sea sickness if a ship is rocky. Can anybody comment whether the ship was rocky more than normal?

So it is ok if the ship misses Nassau because it doesn't affect you. But it is not ok if the ship rocks because that will affect you. That is such a common attitude on these boards.

BTW, as I mentioned in another thread, the Blue Lagoon Beach Break was one of my wife's very favorite beach excursions (and one of mine, too, as I had a killer time snorkeling on the north side of the island), but this time I had to go through absolute hell to get it booked. RCI, for reasons unknown, was not offering it for our 11/24 sailing (or any sailing after late Oct) but they were offering all the other Blue Lagoon options. Blue Lagoon (after ENDLESS emails) finally said they were offering it directly, however when I tried to book it with them they said they couldn't do it because we were RCI passengers and they have a contract with them (but RCI wasn't offering it, idiots! grrrr). Finally, after literally weeks of effort, phone calls, and emails, to my amazement and great joy I happened to find out that my TA offered the exact excursion, same price, same everything, through their excursion department, so I booked it. Trust me, if you were in my shoes on this one, hearing that after all garbage that I might actually have to cancel it, you'd be ready to go ballistic too :mad::(

Go ballistic, hardly....Have had excursions cancelled due to weather, mechanical issues, etc.....not something I would ever get my blood pressure up for, sorry....So if I boarded a ship and a shore excursion was cancelled, well I'm on a cruise on vacation, not the end of the world and not a big issue, stuff happens.

Go ballistic, hardly....Have had excursions cancelled due to weather, mechanical issues, etc.....not something I would ever get my blood pressure up for, sorry....So if I boarded a ship and a shore excursion was cancelled, well I'm on a cruise on vacation, not the end of the world and not a big issue, stuff happens.

I agree. But if someone knows that there is a good probability that stuff is going to happen then it would be cool to give the possibly affected folks as much warning as possible. As I said above, it comes down to respect.