Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

BRANDONCLAN

I like your previous analogy: (and if I may paraphrase) about how the speed of the ship can have a direct impact on the motion.

Let me tell you how this effect bothered me in a different way.

At Labadee we did the jet skis for the first time a couple years ago. And me being a chicken was really afraid to go to fast because of all the unsteadyness and rocking motion. The guide came up to me and told me to go faster if I wanted a better run.....I did...and it was much smoother skimming the waves.

I thought about it as I read your post.

Faster IS better.

Thanks

Sea Ya

Edited by Lionesss

Just got off Allure 10/27 there are no problems with speed etc the TV showed 24 knots on several occasions. There was no rocking or rolling anf we were in a storm or two. movement was minimal get a life people.

Yes, I can see all of your posts are concerned with matters of great world importance. I'm glad your voyage was not affected, but ours might be.

If your asking if I have enjoyed a vacation. Yes. Reread what I said I was talking about the allure ship and mechanical has everything to so with customer service when rccl can't pull their heads out of their rears and inform people of possible issues or shortened port times. Like the person said previously on her... Why isn't the media all over rccl. Hmm connections somewhere to keep things quiet

Jamie

I had to reread it several times to even get a clue what you were saying.

My only real concerns are that RCI is not acknowledging the problem enough to notify passengers soon enough to alter thier plans, and I'm also worried they will need to dry dock the ship to make reapirs thus cancelling my cruise in May.

If your cruise gets cancelled in May in means that my cruise in March is still going to have itinerary issues. And if that is the case then I want to know..... soon.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a fix prior to January. I just made final payment about 5 minutes ago. I really do want to go to St. John. I'll hold off booking the excursion as it really isn't worth the travel time if we only have a few hours to enjoy. I'm sure I can find a good replacement beach in St. Thomas, if needed....

Nonetheless, I'm still excited :)

I like your previous analogy: (and if I may paraphrase) about how the speed of the ship can have a direct impact on the motion.[/size]

Let me tell you how this effect bothered me in a different way.[/size]

At Labadee we did the jet skis for the first time a couple years ago. And me being a chicken was really afraid to go to fast because of all the unsteadyness and rocking motion. The guide came up to me and told me to go faster if I wanted a better run.....I did...and it was much smoother skimming the waves.

This is the differences between apples and fruitcake. The ship cannot possibly travel fast enough to "skim the waves" or anything close to it.

On a jetski, the ratio of speed to weight is millions times higher than on a ship. There is no way a ship's behavior would be able be changed by any appreciable amount be going 20 versus 24 knots (the difference between two and three pods). So that speed difference is simply not going to result in any noticeable difference in the stability of the ship.

Edited by reedl

...snip... My only real concerns are that RCI is not acknowledging the problem enough to notify passengers soon enough to alter thier plans, and I'm also worried they will need to dry dock the ship to make reapirs thus cancelling my cruise in May.

Since the third pod is only used in emergency situations, and it works perfectly now, I seriously doubt that they will be cancelling cruises up until the scheduled drydock.

There would have to be a catastrophic failure of the pod resulting in it being completely unusable for them to cancel cruises.

This reminds me of my A/C compressor on my car. My car has over 150,000 miles on it, and the A/C compressor bearings are going. They are noisy and when I use the A/C I can hear the noise in the car. Now it has been this way for over 50,000 miles since I now use the A/C sparingly. I use it when it is so hot that I must turn it on, but most of the time, I leave the A/C switch off.

Someday the bearings will fail in my car, but right now they still are fine. This is the same thing with the pod. Someday the bearings will show more of a sign of failure and will not function correctly, but for now they are fine.

Since the third pod is only used in emergency situations, and it works perfectly now, I seriously doubt that they will be cancelling cruises up until the scheduled drydock.

There would have to be a catastrophic failure of the pod resulting in it being completely unusable for them to cancel cruises.

This reminds me of my A/C compressor on my car. My car has over 150,000 miles on it, and the A/C compressor bearings are going. They are noisy and when I use the A/C I can hear the noise in the car. Now it has been this way for over 50,000 miles since I now use the A/C sparingly. I use it when it is so hot that I must turn it on, but most of the time, I leave the A/C switch off.

Someday the bearings will fail in my car, but right now they still are fine. This is the same thing with the pod. Someday the bearings will show more of a sign of failure and will not function correctly, but for now they are fine.

So you are saying that we should expect Allure's eastern itinerary to be affected for the next two years?

Apples and fruitcake......

Can we go to the media with this? Don't we have rights as passengers? Allure passengers should know that the ship we'll soon be sailing on has damage, as minor it might be, and what the implications for us will be (less time at two ports of call).

(thanks for clarifying)

:D

Edited by Lionesss

So you are saying that we should expect Allure's eastern itinerary to be affected for the next two years?

I would say yes, unless they determine that they can successfully run the pod without cause for alarm. From one source he said that they attempted some interesting maneuvers on the Allure trying to fix the pod issue. It of course did not fix the issue..

I get the analogy....but are there thousands of people paying you thousands of dollars to ride in your car each week? I'd bet if they did they'd be interested in knowing they'd only get a/c if its really really hot....and that at any time the a/c could potentially go caput. Juuuuust sayin' in the most respectful, completely conversational way possible. :D

It is a bit interesting that last week the TODAY show did a segment on cruise ships and are the new ones just too big. The major focus was that in case of an emergency regulations require that they can be evacuated within 30 minutes. That means, in some cases, getting 8000 people off the ship in that time frame.

However, from a different perspective, when one of these ship, such as Allure, developes a problem there are so few places where it can be serviced that there is the potential for the ship to sail altered itineraries for two years before it will be fixed. You don't just order the parts and then take the ship over to Freeport for a few days and fix the issue. Maybe the ships, when they cannot be fixed in a timely manner, really are becoming just too big these days.:rolleyes:

It is a bit interesting that last week the TODAY show did a segment on cruise ships and are the new ones just too big. The major focus was that in case of an emergency regulations require that they can be evacuated within 30 minutes. That means, in some cases, getting 8000 people off the ship in that time frame.

However, from a different perspective, when one of these ship, such as Allure, developes a problem there are so few places where it can be serviced that there is the potential for the ship to sail altered itineraries for two years before it will be fixed. You don't just order the parts and then take the ship over to Freeport for a few days and fix the issue. Maybe the ships, when they cannot be fixed in a timely manner, really are becoming just too big these days.:rolleyes:

They can take the Oasis class to the Navy drydock in Newport News if it's empty. However they cannot make a reservation as Navy ships get priority.

They can take the Oasis class to the Navy drydock in Newport News if it's empty. However they cannot make a reservation as Navy ships get priority.

However, if they cannot make a reservation, I highly doubt that RCI will plan on taking the ship out of service for a few days to fix it only to find that they now have a ship sitting idle with no room at the inn.

Im thinking Ken076 just realized that the Allure starts its Western Itinerary today, LOL.

Thanks anyhow!

BTW, whoever you know who boards Allure today, maybe we can still get some info out of him....

Edited by MASCREW

Im thinking Ken076 just realized that the Allure starts its Western Itinerary today, LOL.

Thanks anyhow!

BTW, whoever you know who boards Allure today, maybe we can still get some info out of him....

Also,

Anyone just off Allure's Eastern trip today have any insight?

Thanks anyhow!

I just exited my Sunday AM fog to realize that rpoole3 was boarding the Oasis (not the Allure) - senility is a terrible thing.

Wishfully Royal is off investigating the problem and repair alternatives and will eventually publish a repair schedule and formalize any resultant itinerary changes.

ken

We had CC friends do the Eastern last week and they commented to my DW that they did not notice any delays or real differences on their sailing.

Any machine can break at any given point in time. However, being at sea is way different than a quick tow to the dealership, as Carnival can attest. We all know that if you run equipment not as hard it will run longer, but you never know when that belt, bearing, or azipod will fail. Princess recently cancelled cruises for their Royal Princess and that ship hasn't been at sea for half a year. As one CCer posted the larger Oasis class ships are harder to find dry docks for "quick" fixes and yes the Navy does have a dry dock available as another CCer commented. Perhaps this is why Quantum and Anthem are not as large. However Oasis III is on its way.

I personally would give up a few minutes in each port if it helps to guarantee Allure continues to run smoothly for my sailing, and un-selfishly for those who sail on her after me. I myself love the big girls, so bring on their sister and let me flowride my way into her heart. I just hope she doesn't break it one day by leaving me stranded at sea.

We had CC friends do the Eastern last week and they commented to my DW that they did not notice any delays or real differences on their sailing.

Any machine can break at any given point in time. However, being at sea is way different than a quick tow to the dealership, as Carnival can attest. We all know that if you run equipment not as hard it will run longer, but you never know when that belt, bearing, or azipod will fail. Princess recently cancelled cruises for their Royal Princess and that ship hasn't been at sea for half a year. As one CCer posted the larger Oasis class ships are harder to find dry docks for "quick" fixes and yes the Navy does have a dry dock available as another CCer commented. Perhaps this is why Quantum and Anthem are not as large. However Oasis III is on its way.

I personally would give up a few minutes in each port if it helps to guarantee Allure continues to run smoothly for my sailing, and un-selfishly for those who sail on her after me. I myself love the big girls, so bring on their sister and let me flowride my way into her heart. I just hope she doesn't break it one day by leaving me stranded at sea.

Hmmm.....

Interesting, considering the ship didn't arrive in St. Thomas until about 11:30/11:45? when it was scheduled for 10?

Either way, Thankyou for the info.

We just returned from allure eastern route and they as I previously stated said nothing as we boarded ship. They did end up shortening our port time in Nassau and st. Thomas. They told us once at sea later on. I guess they wanted to make sure we could not tell anyone on CC (LOL)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app