How many of you cruise on more than one line

bandjwayne

I am just wondering how many people "jump ship" and cruise on multiple cruise lines? I know the benefit of staying with one line. We have done RCL and Carnival. While we prefer RCL over carnival, we do not dislike carnival at all. I am trying to plan a family cruise in April of 2015. With 4 of us going, CCL and NCL have less expensive options. I am also kinda curious of other lines. I know that if we never try, we will never know if we like that line or not. I know that I will be happy on RCL, we always have been. So do you sometimes choose a cruise by price over cruise line, with itinerary being the same, or as close as it can be? Or do you just stick with your preferred line? Thanks for listening to my rambling, but I am curious!

We choose our cruises first by itinerary, then by price. Only after that is the cruise line choice. As a result we have cruised several different cruise lines and been pleased each time.

We cruise several times per year, so far only on Carnival. I'm ready, ready, ready to explore other lines with different cruising experiences. As we live on the west coast, we mostly cruise out of LA. I will look further at lines cruising out of the west coast.

As much as I would like to try the upscale lines (Cunard comes to mind) I don't think "upscale" is something my husband would enjoy. For that reason I'm happy to look at the mass market lines and select cruises on itinerary and price. I actually had a cruise booked on NCL, but cancelled it. Everything I read about it pointed to a cruise line that was very much like Carnival. I'm ready for a change and didn't think I wanted to cruise a line that was Carnival in most respects.

I can't imagine cruising only once every couple of years. That would make me crazy!

Look at Windstar. A relaxed upscale environment. No ties or jackets required--ever. Terrific food and service, and a laid back but elegant atmosphere. It's upscale without pretense. My husband wore a Cuban style shirt or polo and slacks to dinner every night, usually with his fishermans sandals.

Sally is a CPA, so we tend to cruise in late October and April to recharge her batteries. As a result, we tend to choose by price and itineraries. We aren't really loyal to a line, but we do have perfered ships on different lines. We are also choosy about rooms and typically like big aft-balcony, preferably a suite if we can get a good deal. Our youngest is about to graduate college, so I expect we will be traveling farther away to Europe, Australia, Far East and some river cruises.

Burt

Sailed on Princess, Celebrity, P&O and Royal Caribbean. Next October we will add Thomsons to the list. Our favourite line is Princess though, we will only sail on another line if it's a last minute deal or it's an itinerary that Princess doesn't do or doesn't do well.

So far we have been on 14 different cruise lines (including three river cruises). If we had stayed with the same cruise line we would not have been to so many different destinations. Cruising for us is a challenge to visit new places--over 110 countries now. I could not imagine sailing to the same old ports over and over-boring for us. The more places you visit the more your mind is opened to all the different lifestyles.

It is not for everyone-just our choice. Hope everyone has wonderful sailings no matter where or when you choose to go.

Thanks to everyone! My wife does have a specific time she would like to go (kids spring break- it is later than most) I guess I will have to look at the calendar to see what we have for options. Now the hard part, getting my wife on board with me !

We take two kinds of cruises ... fun in the sun, and world travel.

For fun in the sun, we prefer Royal, but have also taken HAL and Celebrity. We much prefer Royal's ships for the Caribbean. We take these cruises in Jan/Feb/March, we look for the best itinerary at the best price.

For our world travel cruises, we decide first where we want to go, then look to see who goes there. HAL has had the best itineraries for us, so far, at pretty good prices, but we'll be on Oceania this spring, Bangkok into the Med via the Red Sea & Suez Canal at an incredible price. We're looking at some Princess itineraries (Europe) for next fall.

We've pretty much ruled out Carnival after all their troubles, NCL doesn't appeal to us, some of the others seem a little "snooty" and some are just too expensive.

I am just wondering how many people "jump ship" and cruise on multiple cruise lines? I know the benefit of staying with one line. We have done RCL and Carnival. While we prefer RCL over carnival, we do not dislike carnival at all. I am trying to plan a family cruise in April of 2015. With 4 of us going, CCL and NCL have less expensive options. I am also kinda curious of other lines. I know that if we never try, we will never know if we like that line or not. I know that I will be happy on RCL, we always have been. So do you sometimes choose a cruise by price over cruise line, with itinerary being the same, or as close as it can be? Or do you just stick with your preferred line? Thanks for listening to my rambling, but I am curious!

We do not stick to one line. IMHO that just limits your options for no reason. We find the ship that best fits what we want out of a particular vacation at the price we are willing to pay for it. What we want out of a vacation varies from embarkation port, itinerary, limited time period, particular ship or type of ship, etc. If more than one ship meets our wants we go by price next.

After 22 cruises I have no real loyalty points with any line. I book by itinerary, the price-then line. I guess if I have a favorite line it is Celebrity, I used to like HAL equally as well until most lines went stricter on smoking and HAL didn't. As a person who used to not be bothered by cigarette smoke, I found I was very much bothered on my last HAL cruise(with so many smokers "jumping ship" from other lines and doing HAL instead) so I have not cruised them since.

Our last cruise last month was on Princess we picked it because we could do a California coastal out of San Francisco and we wanted to spend time in Somoma valley post cruise and see some redwoods.

We have nothing booked right now, but we are looking into some repositoning cruises that are one way from Hawaii. There is one on Celebrity I like, but hubby likes one on RCI better because it does a port he wants to see that Celebrity misses so there is a good chance we will do the RCI one.

Why box yourself in because of loyalty points. This is no different from sometimes buying a Ford car and other times a Toyota, sometimes buying Tide detergent and sometimes Fab, sometimes drinking Coke, sometimes Pepsi,etc. etc.

I've been on nearly every line out there, including some that don't exist anymore. I figure, why eat vanilla ice cream every day when there's chocolate, strawberry, peach and a whole bunch of other flavors.

Only if vanilla is your favorite, as it is with me, but still I HAVE tried chocolate and all those other flavors......

I agree with those who base their choices on dates and itinerary. We have been on CCL, Norwegian, Celebrity, and Princess. We are going MSC in 3 weeks. So far my favorite is Princess, but we will be in The MSC Yacht Club on this next one. Can't wait!! :D

I have only been on three different lines but definitely am planning on exploring more, as well as more ships from the lines I have already been on :). I usually look at ports and price first, then go from there. This time I just chose by ship-- the kids really wanted to check out the Epic. Bonus for me is two ports I haven't been to yet.

I look at prices of our three favorite cruise lines for cruises that fit DH's break schedule. He's a community college instructor. In the past couple of years, we've sailed on Carnival, Holland America, and Princess. And no, Carnival isn't among our favorite cruise lines, but we were able to get a good deal on a spring break cruise from Charleston and take my mother-in-law as well (driving to the port from N.C.)

But generally I like Princess the best and we're working on getting to Elite so we'll be able to have free laundry on longer cruises when we retire in a few years. After next month, we'll be just one cruise short of that status. Time to start looking for spring break cruises and his big May break.

We had been on three world cruises with Cunard. Next year world cruise is also on Cunard.

We are booked next year Alaskan cruise on Hal.

We are booked 2015 world cruise on Oceania.

We are planning to book 2016 world cruise with a cruise line that has best itinerary.

Yes, we are planning to sleep around :D

Happy cruising

M

Edited by Porthopper101

We had been on three world cruises with Cunard. Next year world cruise is also on Cunard.

We are booked next year Alaskan cruise on Hal.

We are booked 2015 world cruise on Oceania.

We are planning to book 2016 world cruise with a cruise line that has best itinerary.

Yes, we are planning to sleep around :D

Happy cruising

M

To funny, Marie! LOL :D

We also cruise on whatever line has the best to offer, but we do really like RCI.

We have been on Carnival, Cunard, Holland America, Princess, and Royal

Caribbean; on some lines several times. (One of our travel group has also been on Celebrity and NCL.)

We tend to choose our cruises by itinerary and length of cruise. We need to go on 4 day cruises sometimes due to work schedules. While we prefer Holland America and the 10 day cruises, we have enjoyed all of our cruises.

Wish that some of the cruise lines offered more short cruises. We're going on a RCI 4 day in 2014 and will try a Princess 5 day in 2015.

Because of work schedules, some can only cruise on one cruise a year and rather do it on a cruise line they know they like.

While I'm a "give other cruise lines a try so you'll know for yourself & may like better" sort of person, I can certainly understand the logic of some who do not want to take a chance on the only cruise they'll be able to take for the year.

Any of the rest of you have thoughts on this?

LuLu

~~~~

Because of work schedules, some can only cruise on one cruise a year and rather do it on a cruise line they know they like.

While I'm a "give other cruise lines a try so you'll know for yourself & may like better" sort of person, I can certainly understand the logic of some who do not want to take a chance on the only cruise they'll be able to take for the year.

LuLu

~~~~

That is our situation. I am lucky to get a cruise a year, most times it is every two years. We really do like RCL, but may not be able to afford, and that is really the case if I have to fly four of us. I am thinking about making the trip from Minnesota in the car next time to save on travel cost. If I do that, then the departure port is my fist factor, as NOLA and Galveston are less of a drive and saves a couple hundred on fuel cost. That way I can pick a better cruise to go on!

LuLu

~~~~

I got burned by not thinking it out before cruising Royal Caribbean. It was a learning experience, and we now know to pay attention to what is important to us, including the types of activities, quality of food, "herd factor," quality of amenities including linens and toiletries, and the types of people we are likely to encounter on any particular itinerary or ship and what we might or might not find in common with them. Smoking policies at also important to us, and the reason we'll never cruise in a few lines that interest us--not unless they change their policies anyhow.

I now research like crazy to make sure that the ship and fellow cruisers are people we will enjoy being around for a week or more. We've found that we have a strong preference for smaller ships that discourage children and offer upscale amenities and food. I highly doubt we will ever sail on a ship with more than 600 passengers again, and will mostly be in ships with half that many or less. We'd rather cruise less and pay more to be on small ships that offer unique adventures to incredible ports rather than huge floating resorts with 6000 people that pull in to the same old boring ports over and over. We also feel safer on a small ship where the chances of getting off safely and quickly in case of an emergency is far greater. After sailing the Disney Dream, I'm not convinced that they can get everyone off quick enough in a major disaster in one of those big ships.

Anyhow, there is no single cruise line that can take us to all the places we want to visit, so we'll be hopping around and probably end up on at least three more lines plus the PG which we are booked in but haven't cruised yet.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

We cruise once a year, working full time in accounting cannot get beginning of end of the month week off, and we pick a different destination and itinerary each time, so we use whatever cruise line is available. So far went with three lines.