Syrup change on NCL?

johnjovi

What if you have a backpack as you are actually going on? If asked, they could check that it is either sealed or easily open it and see/taste that it is maple syrup.

I actually received a can of delicious Canadian maple syrup as a thank-you gift for organizing a private excursion so I know it can be done. I don't know whether it came aboard in her carry-on or in her checked luggage. My thinking is that it has to be easier in a carry-on because, like you said, it would be easier to take it out and show that it really is sealed maple syrup. I have no desire to risk spending part of the first evening of my cruise in the naughty room discussing maple syrup with security.

I actually received a can of delicious Canadian maple syrup as a thank-you gift for organizing a private excursion so I know it can be done. I don't know whether it came aboard in her carry-on or in her checked luggage. My thinking is that it has to be easier in a carry-on because, like you said, it would be easier to take it out and show that it really is sealed maple syrup. I have no desire to risk spending part of the first evening of my cruise in the naughty room discussing maple syrup with security.

Put it in your checked luggage. Maple syrup is heavy and I wouldn't want the extra weight in my carry on. I've never had an issue. If they do detect something and check it out, it's easy enough to see it's a sealed container of syrup..

What if you have a backpack as you are actually going on? If asked, they could check that it is either sealed or easily open it and see/taste that it is maple syrup.

I'm absolutely positive that the inspection procedures do not include tasting anything.

Just sayin'...

Might get you sent to the Naughty Room, though! ;)

And indeed it did. Had an unopened glass bottle of maple syrup I carried on late 2011 in NYC for Gem. Sure enough got the notice on my door. The guys who held the luggage at the naughty room were amused when I pulled the glass bottle out--pint sized bottle.

I do bring my own pure maple syrup! So much better than that high fructose corn syrup glue-like stuff.

And indeed it did. Had an unopened glass bottle of maple syrup I carried on late 2011 in NYC for Gem. Sure enough got the notice on my door. The guys who held the luggage at the naughty room were amused when I pulled the glass bottle out--pint sized bottle.

I do bring my own pure maple syrup! So much better than that high fructose corn syrup glue-like stuff.

So you said you carried it on, but it sounds like it was in your checked luggage. I'm thinking it's better in something you are carrying on. Then if they do even ask about it, you can take it out of your backpack or whatever and deal with it right then and there.

So you said you carried it on, but it sounds like it was in your checked luggage. I'm thinking it's better in something you are carrying on. Then if they do even ask about it, you can take it out of your backpack or whatever and deal with it right then and there.

Ooops, yes, it was in my checked suitcase. Have had it in a plastic bottle several times since then on various cruiselines with no issues at all.

Hey, just bring a small electric fry pan and spatula and lots of fresh

eggs

so you can cook omelets for the whole deck. LOL :p :D :p

I could even bring my own jar of Mexican salsa so that I do not have eat any of that junk from New York City. :eek: I love fresh salsa on top of my scrambled eggs. :p:D

I could even bring my own jar of Mexican salsa so that I do not have eat any of that junk from New York City. :eek: I love fresh salsa on top of my scrambled eggs. :p:D

Okay, I'm a salsa snob in NYC :eek:. So what's in your salsa beside tomatoes, white onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice and salt (plus a little Tabasco for some kick)? And I've had plenty good tomatillo salsa verde here too.

Which has me thinking, can i put fresh salsa in an Old El Paso jar and seal it, will they let me bring it on board?

Edited by kylenyc

Okay, I'm a salsa snob in NYC :eek:. So what's in your salsa beside tomatoes, white onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice and salt (plus a little Tabasco for some kick)? And I've had plenty good tomatillo salsa verde here too.

Which has me thinking, can i put fresh salsa in an Old El Paso jar and seal it, will they let me bring it on board?

If your salsa is really good, check the jar as I bet it was made in Texas or New Mexico. :p I may just bring my own salsa on the Jewel in 3 weeks. I do not know about NCL but the salsa on HAL ships is so bland it had to be from Holland. It was more like tomato sauce with some hot sauce added. :rolleyes:

I'll bring the bacon!

No need for the frying pan but i'm serious about salsa snob recipes.

7441cbdddbde4a6f1e2eca8516b73c47.jpg

Cue the "bring your own mattress" jokes in 3...2...

The suspense is killing me...:D:D:p

Edited by kylenyc

If your salsa is really good, check the jar as I bet it was made in Texas or New Mexico. :p I may just bring my own salsa on the Jewel in 3 weeks. I do not know about NCL but the salsa on HAL ships is so bland it had to be from Holland. It was more like tomato sauce with some hot sauce added. :rolleyes:

I love Texas, however, back to the syrup....think I'll bring my own Maple Syrup too...:p

But Salsa doesn't go well with MS and no mattress either.....:p

Low sodium Bacon please...I'm old...hehe

Edited by B6ConMe

I fully realize this is totally a "first world problem" but am slightly curious.

I just saw in a review of the Jewel that the syrup tasted disgusting. Interesting this was brought up as we had a syrup "problem" a couple weeks ago on the Breakaway. The syrup was absolutely disgusting - we actually thought it was spoiled/rancid and I reported it. Then we tried the syrup again the next day and it was the same. So I asked the Maitre d' about it and he said that they changed their supplier and this was a "different" kind of syrup - not maple flavored. He said they had been getting many complaints. He said they had this different syrup for awhile and was hoping it would change soon.

He did suggest using the "No Sugar Added" syrup and it did the trick - at least it was edible.

Has anyone else experienced this recently on other NCL ships?

Wow, I'm glad I read this. My son complained about the syrup, he thought it was gross and DH and I thought he was just being too picky at first until DH tasted it...he also said it was horrible.

Can I bring my own eggs and have them scrambled at the omelet station at the buffet? :D

C'mon now. Fresh eggs are the best.

Here is the solution:

Get a doctor to diagnose you with something like epilepsy, narcolepsy, panic attacks, allergy to nonsense....

Antway, something workable. Then, get a service animal to alert you af an attack by the aforementioned affliction.

See where we're going here? Get a chicken for your service animal. A daily egg would be a bonus.

Edited by luddite

Habenero.