MDR Water & Iced Tea - Taste Bad?

Wkr3kt

I will be on the Allure and wondering about the water on the ship. I don't drink alcohol or soda so I am a big drinker of water and both hot and iced tea. At meals, how is the water and/or tea? Does it have a bad taste or aftertaste? I don't want to bring bottled water as I drink 4-5 bottles a day. Thoughts or comments???

Are you a water snob? Can you tell the difference between Avian and Arrowhead? If NOT, you will be perfectly happy with the tap water on board. If you vomit on Evian and can only drink some other brand, then bring your own.

Not sure if it would be helpful for coffee or tea since it is all mass produced, but I have always found the tap water to be acceptable.

I am NOT a water snob by any means. I will drink most tap water if it doesn't have a distinctly bad taste. I was afraid with the chemical process of turning salt water to tap water on the ship it might taste funny...

So Glad to Hear!! I like to drink hot tea in the morning. In the afternoon, I make hot tea and pour it over ice to make my own iced tea!! I do this all day long!! I always carry sports bottles filled with iced tea and drink it throughout the day. I am so happy that I will be able to do this on the ship and Enjoy:)

I'm from Australia and I think our ice tea is different from yours? Ours are sweet and often floured with lemon, peach, lime etc. Is American iced tea sweet or cold black tea with ice?

We do have flavored teas and sweet tea, but when you order iced tea in the US, it's often a black or orange pekoe tea, poured over ice (fresh, if you're lucky).

Edited by travln1234

I was afraid with the chemical process of turning salt water to tap water on the ship it might taste funny...

It is not a chemical process; the water will be absolutely fine for drinking and you should not notice any sort of odd taste.

I'm from Australia and I think our ice tea is different from yours? Ours are sweet and often floured with lemon, peach, lime etc. Is American iced tea sweet or cold black tea with ice?

both. we also do cold green and white teas as well. and don't forget the herbal concoctions.

in some areas the standard is Sweet( usually in the South) in others the standard is Black unsweetened. and in some cases you have both to choose from. I believe the stuff on board is unsweetened but you have a variety of options to do it yourself( i like the Sugar in the raw plus a lemon wedge or three)

I will be on the Allure and wondering about the water on the ship. I don't drink alcohol or soda so I am a big drinker of water and both hot and iced tea. At meals, how is the water and/or tea? Does it have a bad taste or aftertaste? I don't want to bring bottled water as I drink 4-5 bottles a day. Thoughts or comments???
On Allure the water will be fine. However it has been my experience that on the older ships the water will sometimes have a strong chlorine taste.

Water seems to be big issue. Some swear by ship water and some won’t touch the stuff. If you try the water and decide you want bottled water, then you can buy bottled water on board, or at any port.

Remember coffee and tea are not the only uses for water, as the ship tap water is used in all cooking processes, soups, boiling items, and soda/bar fountain taps.

Enjoy

M

I am NOT a water snob by any means. I will drink most tap water if it doesn't have a distinctly bad taste. I was afraid with the chemical process of turning salt water to tap water on the ship it might taste funny...

The "chemical process" is usually reverse osmosis, and is considered one of the best ways to purify water, and is found in most major municipality water supplies. It produces some of the cleanest water out there. and really, it is not chemical heavy, compared to older methods of cleaning water to drink. It is really a physical process. I am sure you will enjoy the water, teas, and coffees, and flavored waters.

the one thing i notice about ship water is it is really soft, compared to my water at home. The first night, I always use way too much shampoo and i am rinsing it out forever.

I drink alot of spring water and britta filtered water at home.. On the ship honnestly the water is not bad at all... Its very drinkable.. and I am picky..

I drink lots of soda too though :)

I'm sure all the water in the public areas is fine, and is probably tested quite often.

However I had a problem on my last cruise on Explorer. When I went to use the water in the bathroom sink the first day, there was no cold water. I let the cabin attendant know and the next day maintenance came to check out the problem. It seemed the faucet aerator was clogged. When he changed the part and ran the water I was horrified with what came out. It was brown, and you can use your imagination as to what it looked like. It stayed like that for about 30 -45 seconds and was OK after that. I'm just thankful that the water was too hot to brush my teeth the first night, and I used bottled water that I had brought on board. The water on the ship may be fine, but after that happened, I question the plumbing on the ship.

So Glad to Hear!! I like to drink hot tea in the morning. In the afternoon, I make hot tea and pour it over ice to make my own iced tea!! I do this all day long!! I always carry sports bottles filled with iced tea and drink it throughout the day. I am so happy that I will be able to do this on the ship and Enjoy:)

They also have flavored water, which was pretty amazing. I am a nice tea drinker myself, but after tasting the flavored water, I picked that every time...

The water is better than the bottled water you would lug onboard and the iced tea is fine...K.O. Enjoy your cruise.:)

I am traveling on Voyager in Feb & this thread has answered a lot of my questions. Thanks everyone! ! Looking forward to trying the flavoured water & iced teas. I might even like them & find a new favorite. That's what holidays are for, doing things u dont normally do!

Sapphire 57:cool:

On one of my cruise the ship's tap water did have a noticeable chlorine taste for the first couple of days -- not sure why. All other RCI cruises the tap water has no taste at all.

You are on the April 20 sailing, right? I hope the Allure propulsion problem is fixed by then.