Smoking Policy (More...)

ZZ Mom

Umm, the Comfort Inn Cruise Port/South, the Comfort Inn on Commercial Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale, the Comfort Inn in Deerfield Beach, FL and the Comfort Inn at the Miami Airport all having smoking rooms. There are Comfort Inns in the Chicago area that also have smoking rooms. So his statement is not correct.
He probably relied upon the same source as I:http://www.no-smoke.org/learnmore.php?id=188
Other 100% smokefree hotel chains in the U.S. include:

Comfort Inns and Cambria Suites (two brands of Choice Hotels)

. Still, I don't see what saying a Sleep Inn has smoking rooms makes a whit of difference to the smoking policy of other brands of the same corporation. No "clarification" from the post I'd quoted earlier. As I pointed out, just because HAL currently allows smoking on their balconies, doesn't mean that other lines owned by Carnival also do.

He probably relied upon the same source as I:http://www.no-smoke.org/learnmore.php?id=188 . Still, I don't see what saying a Sleep Inn has smoking rooms makes a whit of difference to the smoking policy of other brands of the same corporation. No "clarification" from the post I'd quoted earlier. As I pointed out, just because HAL currently allows smoking on their balconies, doesn't mean that other lines owned by Carnival also do.

Don't hold your breath waiting for clarification - not likely to happen.;) There have been previous claims from that source that were never clarified.

Just a bit of clarification on one hotel chain you listed as being non smoking:

Comfort in and Suites is just 1 out of 11 different Hotels under the Choice Hotels International Brand and smoking is allowed.

Just reporting the facts as I personally know them to be:)

Joanie

According to Choice Hotels faq page, Comfort Suites & Cambria Suites are 100% smoke free.

Christine Ferris is a busy bee, isn't she? The smoking thread, the wine threads...you name it...she responds to it.

She must be quite an efficient employee to read, research the facts, and compose personal answers to hundreds of issues that come in every day. :D NOT...I can just see all the cubicles with her clerks sitting there and pondering, " Do I respond to this with form letter A, or H, or K ?"

She must be quite an efficient employee to read, research the facts, and compose personal answers to hundreds of issues that come in every day. :D NOT...I can just see all the cubicles with her clerks sitting there and pondering, " Do I respond to this with form letter A, or H, or K ?"

Exactly. :D

Form letter A, B or C....... or A, H or K ! :rolleyes:

Don't hold your breath waiting for clarification - not likely to happen.;) There have been previous claims from that source that were never clarified.
Oh, I'm not waiting for clarification. Clarification is what they claimed to be doing earlier. I just didn't see how posting their experience at a Sleep Inn added any "clarification" to what was posted about Comfort Inn and Cambria Suites - two other hotel chains. :rolleyes:

Just a bit of clarification on one hotel chain you listed as being non smoking:

Comfort in and Suites is just 1 out of 11 different Hotels under the Choice Hotels International Brand and smoking is allowed.

Usually there is one floor (3rd floor) that is reserved for smokers. I know they still allow smoking as I spent 4 nights pre cruise 25-28 November 2013 and 1 night post cruise 9 December 2013 in smoking rooms at the Sleep Inn Dania Beach, FL.

Also to clarify one hotel in Canada that I was able to smoke in was the Fairmont Waterfront (think that was the name) in Vancouver, BC., directly across the street from the Canada Place Pier. They had 12 rooms for smokers. BUT, we stayed there in September 2011 and they might have changed it since then. THOUGH I did just do a Google search for Hotels Smoking Vancouver Canada and found 11 hotels listed and Fairmont Waterfront is still listed there, so maybe it is still allowed.

Just reporting the facts as I personally know them to be:)

Joanie

Just to clarify for others reading this, a friend from Kanata, Ontario, coming out here for Christmas, got the following email from the Fairmont Waterfront (she has COPD and is also allergic to something in cigarette smoke):

thank you for your inquiry. Please note that our hotel rooms are entirely smoke free however we do have few designated smoking areas by the hotel entrance.

Ksenija Mathis

The Fairmont Waterfront

This is not a recent policy, as Vancouver has had a very stringent smoking bylaw for several years, however hotels do have some leeway with regard to allowing some rooms for smoking. But this one chose to be totally non-smoking. I would advise smokers to check first on any of the hotels in Vancouver before booking and thinking they can smoke indoors. Even in Vancouver it can be chilly standing outside for a smoke.;)

Smokers should start paying attention to where cigarettes are sold these days if they plan to buy them before boarding ships.

There are some cities and towns in our area that now have regulations banning sale of tobacco/smoking products (including e-cigarettes) in any establishment that provides health care or has a pharmacy.

If the local grocery store has a pharmacy department, they are not permitted to sell cigarettes. No cigarette sales in Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid etc in those specific cities and towns.

Edited by sail7seas

Smokers should start paying attention to where cigarettes are sold these days if they plan to buy them before boarding ships.

There are some cities and towns in our area that now have regulations banning sale of tobacco/smoking products (including e-cigarettes) in any establishment that provides health care or has a pharmacy.

If the local grocery store has a pharmacy department, they are not permitted to sell cigarettes. No cigarette sales in Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid etc in those specific cities and towns.

Same rules here in New Brunswick.

I have not seen them banned here in Virginia. BUT... I always wondered why a health store/pharmacy would sell cigarettes. Interesting.

I have not seen them banned here in Virginia. BUT... I always wondered why a health store/pharmacy would sell cigarettes. Interesting.

They sell them for profit as well as bringing in more foot traffic. The more people who enter the store, the better chance to sell other products in addition to the cigarettes.

CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid etc are more than just pharmacies. They sell all sorts of grooming products, cleaning articles, stationary/school supplies, small appliances, paper goods, groceries, kitchen gadgets etc etc etc

Unless someone passes a law putting nicotine on the same par as marijuana or heroin -- they are still legal. Not a smoker, just stating the facts, ma'am.

:cool:

So I guess you'd see nothing wrong with hospitals selling cigarettes in their gift shops to help fund their cancer wards?

So I guess you'd see nothing wrong with hospitals selling cigarettes in their gift shops to help fund their cancer wards?

It probably wouldn't be showing the best judgment if a hospital were to make that decision, but it would be their decision to make.

When the government starts interfering in personal decisions, we are less free.

It probably wouldn't be showing the best judgment if a hospital were to make that decision, but it would be their decision to make.

I'd see a tremendous ethical disconnect if health providers sell a product that is a direct contributor to close to 20% of deaths annually in the USA. Others may see it differently.

Like mandating questionable health care?

Edited by Spender Nui

Take your political stripes off. It is not a conspiracy. Smoking causes cancer. Cancer kills.

I agree 100% and thinking smoking should be outlawed.

That said, there are no stripes showing, just a response regarding government. Many other examples could be sited. My last comment, i won't get into a political (or any other kind) of hassle.

This hasnt been allowed in Ontario Canada since 1994.

Wow, seems it's about time other municipalities/counties/states/countries caught up! :)

As far as I can see, it's only the US that needs to catch up. We've never been able to buy ciggies in pharmacies here (they're also now behind a shutter) and I can't recall buying them in pharmacies in any other countries either. It's generally a supermarket or 7/11.