Ziplock bag uses

caribophile

On one of my cruises, we packed both zip locks and baking soda for the shells we intended to pick up in Nassau. They kept the clothes and suitcases from picking up that unpleasant fishy smell that comes from the shells, no matter how well you clean them!

Are you allowed to bring sea-shells aboard?

I love the idea of putting bags into the safe. On the last two cruises we found jewelry in our safe, ( which we returned to the officers on the ship). It was under the felt paper on the bottom of the safe. We were feeling around for my watch and found it there. It is my next new thing to do!

We also discovered someone else's jewelry when emptying out our safe on our last cruise. Returned it to the front desk along with our room number. Seems like a pretty common occurrence, considering the felt liner and the nooks and crannies under and around the opening. A large ziplock would do wonders to keeping small items from running away while locked up.

I use a sandwich size ziplock for band-aids and a tube of ointment, even at home. It lives on a bathroom closet shelf and goes in the suitcase for trips. I corral small items in my purse in a bag.

Instead of using ziplocks I re-purpose the clear cases sheets and drapes come in for toiletry bags. They normally have a hanging hole at the top (for the store display) that goes right on a bathroom door hook. All my medicines go in one separate bag that fits perfectly in the outside pocket of my carryon so I can easily pull it out for inspection (if asked-so far never happened) and easy access if I should need something.

We carry bags in backpacks for snacks, wallets, cameras.

I normally pack undies, socks and such in the 1 and 2 gallon bags. The small snack bags are great for jewelry and cosmetics. All liquids get bagged, just in case. Sunscreens can then be thrown in a beachbag.

I have a ziplock with a sharpie, pen, magnet clips.

Basically, anything that can be grouped together, is. Makes for easy packing and unpacking....

Absolutely NEVER saw dogs sniffing and we have been all over on ships! They take your card and simply check you out...they DO CHECK possessions when you get back ON the ship! Only when we are leaving for final disembarkation do they warn you about removing food...and we were NEVER stopped or checked even then!

In Cozumel last week there were announcements and signs prohibiting taking food off the ship. As we exited the gangway an officer and dog sniffed our carry ons then we were allowed to move on. At the end of the pier were two tables and agriculture officers who again searched our bags. In 53 cruises, this was a first, but apparently there is an agricultural threat as they were particularly concerned about fruits and vegetables.

In terms of sea shells, the only time we have had a problem wasi n Hawaii when they confiscated all shells. They did not want the spread of microorganisms from island to island.

Practices depend on the port and what concerns there may be at the time. If you live Ina agricultural state you can appreciate the damage a few little hitch hiker critters can do to the economy of an area. It may seem silly to some of you, but please respect these people's economy?

I get the very large storage style ziplock bags at Dollar Tree. They come in a pack of 2 or 3 for a dollar. I split up my larger toiletries into each of them and then seal them. Any leaks or spills are contained. I bring one or two extras in my luggage as well; great for damp clothes or watershoes that I don't want to pack with the rest of my luggage. They do have an XL size of bag that is appropriate for clothing. I don't pack toiletries and clothing in the same case but if I did I'd bag the clothing too to further protect from spills or leaks.

I bought the jumbo ziplock type bags at Dollar Tree which I use for hand washables. Fill with water and detergent (from home) or shampoo if I've forgotten the detergent. Add clothing and let it soak while we're out enjoying the day. Even the heaviest of socks dry overnight on the line in the shower.

The bags are easy to pack and reusable many times.

I'm definitely the ziplock bag queen. I use them for toiletries, contact lenses, band aids, tablets, great for separating things out. The large ones for each pair of shoes so they don't dirty clothes. Pale coloured tops, clothes to keep them clean, even loose coins in my travel wallet. Dirty washing, clean washing. Packing snacks like cheese and crackers, nuts etc.

I do love the idea of lining your suitcase with a garbage bag.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No. Every cruise I have been on there has been announcements, both vocal and printed. Doesn't stop people from doing it, but it is not allowed.

On my most recent cruise, at several of the ports, crew members manning security when I reboarded saw both mine and my companion's shells. We didn't try to hide anything. We were never stopped. I never saw any announcements saying we couldn't. The only time we were stopped was in Cozumel and that was while still on the beach and we were stopped by the tour guide, not by someone on the ship. On this cruise as well as the one I took in 2011, both times, the shells were out in the open, both while reboarding AND once we were on board. No one EVER told us "no". Not once.

First off, as a Mother of 4 kids, I went camping once(never again!), and I put each of the kids clothes in a separate Ziploc, a whole set for a day. I was a "star mother" on the trip because the kids just picked a bag and they were ready quickly. I am sure this could be used for packing for a cruise or when going to the beach for an excursion day.

Second, I have also seen the dogs sniffing bags, baby carriages, and even electronic chairs when going off the ship for the day. My DH and I enjoyed watching the dog from our viewpoint on the ship, he was right every time and the people had to empty their food into a big trash can!

I pack snacks for shore excursions that are NOT meat, cheese or dairy. A croissant, muffin, cheerios, cookie help a sugar drop or a diabetic need to eat right away. I have never had a one of these type products taken away but I have seen fruit confiscated.

Edited by cruzsnooze

I too, am a ziplock queen. I am especially hooked on the 3 x 5 size with the white block on them. We buy them in bulk for packing meds on our Hondurasmedical mission but they are fabulous for meds and make up bag and first aid kit. I even slide a colored piece of paper so I can color code items. Yeh, just a bit anal. For missions, or camping, or anytime air conditioning is absent, I pack each days clothes in a large ziplock to keep it fresh. So nice to put on humidity free socks and undies each day. It also keeps TSA hands off my things! Yep, if Mr. Zip Lock did not receive a Nobel prize for something, then there isno justice.

Absolutely NEVER saw dogs sniffing and we have been all over on ships! They take your card and simply check you out...they DO CHECK possessions when you get back ON the ship! Only when we are leaving for final disembarkation do they warn you about removing food...and we were NEVER stopped or checked even then!

In Cozumel last week there were announcements and signs prohibiting taking food off the ship. As we exited the gangway an officer and dog sniffed our carry ons then we were allowed to move on. At the end of the pier were two tables and agriculture officers who again searched our bags. In 53 cruises, this was a first, but apparently there is an agricultural threat as they were particularly concerned about fruits and vegetables.

In terms of sea shells, the only time we have had a problem wasi n Hawaii when they confiscated all shells. They did not want the spread of microorganisms from island to island.

Practices depend on the port and what concerns there may be at the time. If you live Ina agricultural state you can appreciate the damage a few little hitch hiker critters can do to the economy of an area. It may seem silly to some of you, but please respect these people's economy?

I really do not see how taking a few cookies, or even a fruit that is set out on the buffet for immediate consumption, and putting them INSIDE A SEALED ziplock bag to be eaten on a bus during a long, two hour excursion can hurt a country's economy. I take meds that require food, and have to watch my blood sugar levels. That means I need snacks available. This really is not a big deal. We were on a nearly three hour trip to a crater in Hawaii, a three hour drive to the Alhambra in Spain, two hours to Rome, etc. and the bus stopped for food and bathrooms on only the Rome excursion.

I like to get my own ice from the buffet and keep in in my refrigerator. Never enough in those small ice buckets.

Another totally different idea... I pack a few magnets, since the walls of your cabin are metal, you can put your invites, cabin numbers of friends and I put the map of the ship right by the door so when I head out I know exactly where Im going. Keeps your counter space clear. I forgot to mention, I can bring pictures of my adorable grandchildren and hang them on the cabin wall. Use your imagination, you'll be packing lots of magnets.

I really do not see how taking a few cookies, or even a fruit that is set out on the buffet for immediate consumption, and putting them INSIDE A SEALED ziplock bag to be eaten on a bus during a long, two hour excursion can hurt a country's economy. I take meds that require food, and have to watch my blood sugar levels. That means I need snacks available. This really is not a big deal. We were on a nearly three hour trip to a crater in Hawaii, a three hour drive to the Alhambra in Spain, two hours to Rome, etc. and the bus stopped for food and bathrooms on only the Rome excursion.

You don't see because you choose not to. As a Florida resident I can assure you that fruit and other agricultural items can be devastating to an economy that depends on them. If you need food items to take your meds bring sealed items from home. Seems easy to me.

good question. I think everyone is going to use them for different things. they're obviously good to keep things dry. I inevitably always have one with me leaving the ship to go to shore if I have a beach break or somewhere else, you can put things in there you'd like to keep safe and separate..if you don't have one of those little waterproof boxes they sell on the ship.

TSA they tell you to bring (if you're flying) any liquid items 2 oz and under (travel sizes) you can fit in a quart size bag. And if you have electronics, you can put any of your chargers and things in there for screening.

So that's what you can use them for. but I've found for the security they don't really care as long as you have items stowed, and they meet their guidelines. So if you have a few small lotions they do not have to be in that bag when you go through, or in a separate bin for them to look at it.

I usually bring some of different sizes, if I have any shampoo or something in my luggage to protect it during transport. If it were to burst it could be in that bag and not all over your luggage, as i've actually seen happen to other people. And I also use the space bags for my underwear and other items. If it rains and my stuff gets waterlogged, I don't want to be without.

A small sandwich-size ziploc can be filled with cereal to feed the fish if you are going on a snorkeling tour. Just tear off a corner and squeeze out bits as necessary to make any fish in the area go crazy. Yes, it violates the "no food from the ship" policy and the "don't feed the wildlife" policy AND Fruit Loops are almost certainly not good for the fish, but the way they swarm around you is unforgettable. Fruit Loops aren't good for YOU either, but in a pinch, you could snack on them too.