The Pride

wripro

One forgets. There are memories, of course, but slyly they recede into the recesses of the mind. Newer memories are more sharply focused, more vivid, easier to conjure up. More recent experiences dominate when we consider what we prefer. So it was with me as I exclusively sailed the new Seabourn ships since the maiden voyage of the Odyssey (of which I am a godfather) in June 2009. It was wonderful to exalt in the convenience and superb design of Seabourn Square where I could get an answer to my query, send an email, borrow a book or order a latte while chatting with friends. I could revel in the luxury of brown and grey granite in my suite's bathroom. I could gaze up at the heights of the two story restaurant and admire its white marble columns and billowy sheer curtains. I could ensconce myself in a turquoise leather booth in the Observation Lounge to watch approaching landfall or glorious sunsets, or I could take a seat at its stunning glass bar in the center of the room. To me these three ships represent the best that luxury crossing can offer today.

And then I sailed the Pride again on the crossing from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale on November 6th. Suddenly the stifled memories came rushing back with a thrilling intensity. I remembered exactly why I had fallen in love with Seabourn in the first place. It was the same feeling as coming home for the first holiday after going away to college. Everyone was welcoming. Everything felt right. Everything was as it should be. Whether receiving a hug from old friends like Felipe, the maitre d' or bonding with many of the superb news staff I understood again what the Pride and her sisters, the Spirit and the Legend can offer that are simply unavailable on the larger members of the fleet. When the captain wishes you a good day on "your" Seabourn Pride he is right. I feel like the ship belongs too me while I am on board her. Like I am part of her and she is part of me.

There are so many tangible pleasures as well including some of the best food I have ever had on Seabourn. Wines have improved vastly since my last cruise on the Sojourn. Admittedly I am not the world's greatest connoisseur of the grape but I was more than pleased with the offerings. I will never forget the Steak Tartare Pietro (another old friend) prepared for us at lunch one day with such confidence and expertise. I looked forward to each meal with an anticipation I had not felt before. The chef, Jes, was not only masterful but charming and omnipresent. Service in every area was exceptional. Imo Seabourn is doing its best to have the Pride go out in the same way she has always traversed the globe --- first class.

Was this a perfect crossing? Not al all! With the exception of the duo, Crossover, who performed in the Club before and after dinner and who were terrific, I found the entertainment weak. I never go to shows so I can't judge those but I thought the lectures not varied enough nor given often enough. The CD, whom many love, personally left me cold. I found him uninterested and uninvolved. Never once in fifteen days did he come up to me and ask if I was enjoying the cruise or even to say hello. While the hot man was everywhere to be found the captain was not. I rarely saw the man, unusual for Seabourn.

Did these few deficiencies impact my enjoyment of the cruise? In no way. Like the mark on Cindy Crawford's face the imperfections only enhanced everything else. They underscored how every other element blended together to improve the total picture. I wish Windstar well with the Pride and her sisters but I do not think I will ever sail on them under their banner. I want the triplets to forever remain "Seabourn" as my memories today once again recede to the back of my mind.

Addendum: I just returned and have tried to catch up on CC. Seeing some of the reviews of the Pride in recent days I can only say that my experience was stellar. I was sorry to get off.

I just returned and have tried to catch up on CC. Seeing some of the reviews of the Pride in recent days I can only say that my experience was stellar. I was sorry to get off.

Well that is good to read. A reasoned and trustworthy voice amid all the nastiness.

One forgets. There are memories, of course, but slyly they recede into the recesses of the mind. Newer memories are more sharply focused, more vivid, easier to conjure up. More recent experiences dominate when we consider what we prefer. So it was with me as I exclusively sailed the new Seabourn ships since the maiden voyage of the Odyssey (of which I am a godfather) in June 2009. It was wonderful to exalt in the convenience and superb design of Seabourn Square where I could get an answer to my query, send an email, borrow a book or order a latte while chatting with friends. I could revel in the luxury of brown and grey granite in my suite's bathroom. I could gaze up at the heights of the two story restaurant and admire its white marble columns and billowy sheer curtains. I could ensconce myself in a turquoise leather booth in the Observation Lounge to watch approaching landfall or glorious sunsets, or I could take a seat at its stunning glass bar in the center of the room. To me these three ships represent the best that luxury crossing can offer today.

And then I sailed the Pride again on the crossing from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale on November 6th. Suddenly the stifled memories came rushing back with a thrilling intensity. I remembered exactly why I had fallen in love with Seabourn in the first place. It was the same feeling as coming home for the first holiday after going away to college. Everyone was welcoming. Everything felt right. Everything was as it should be. Whether receiving a hug from old friends like Felipe, the maitre d' or bonding with many of the superb news staff I understood again what the Pride and her sisters, the Spirit and the Legend can offer that are simply unavailable on the larger members of the fleet. When the captain wishes you a good day on "your" Seabourn Pride he is right. I feel like the ship belongs too me while I am on board her. Like I am part of her and she is part of me.

There are so many tangible pleasures as well including some of the best food I have ever had on Seabourn. Wines have improved vastly since my last cruise on the Sojourn. Admittedly I am not the world's greatest connoisseur of the grape but I was more than pleased with the offerings. I will never forget the Steak Tartare Pietro (another old friend) prepared for us at lunch one day with such confidence and expertise. I looked forward to each meal with an anticipation I had not felt before. The chef, Jes, was not only masterful but charming and omnipresent. Service in every area was exceptional. Imo Seabourn is doing its best to have the Pride go out in the same way she has always traversed the globe --- first class.

Was this a perfect crossing? Not al all! With the exception of the duo, Crossover, who performed in the Club before and after dinner and who were terrific, I found the entertainment weak. I never go to shows so I can't judge those but I thought the lectures not varied enough nor given often enough. The CD, whom many love, personally left me cold. I found him uninterested and uninvolved. Never once in fifteen days did he come up to me and ask if I was enjoying the cruise or even to say hello. While the hot man was everywhere to be found the captain was not. I rarely saw the man, unusual for Seabourn.

Did these few deficiencies impact my enjoyment of the cruise? In no way. Like the mark on Cindy Crawford's face the imperfections only enhanced everything else. They underscored how every other element blended together to improve the total picture. I wish Windstar well with the Pride and her sisters but I do not think I will ever sail on them under their banner. I want the triplets to forever remain "Seabourn" as my memories today once again recede to the back of my mind.

Addendum: I just returned and have tried to catch up on CC. Seeing some of the reviews of the Pride in recent days I can only say that my experience was stellar. I was sorry to get off.

Your post made me smile. To many of us, Seabourn will always be remembered by the three smaller ships. With time, I will adjust to the larger ships but will never forget the fantastic service, food, and experiences on the triplets. I agree with you, it will hard to travel on these ships once they transfer to Windstar. In my mind, when that happens - "those ships have sailed". IMO, the triplets have made Seabourn the finest line afloat.

Edited by csto

Good to see someone else enjoyed their recent time on the Pride given some of the negative comments on this site but was surprised to hear about the CD as I am assuming you are referring to DG who we always find to be caring about the guests. And yes we are fond of him as he was the CD on our first cruise but his warmth and personal interest on that cruise has carried over to subsequent voyages - just want to show my bias and your mileage obviously may vary...

Sounds like you missed Chef John who we thought did a great job on the food (understanding that a ship has limits on what can be delivered on any given day) but that his replacement is delivering a similar experience, always good to hear. I hope those who are new to SB and considering one of the 'little sisters' reads your comments before dismissing them as they truly are gems to be enjoyed while we still have the opportunity.

Sailing on the Pride is a very unique experience that most who cruise will never get to experience.

Keith

Yes Keith it is rather a shame that some cruisers only try the 800+ guest ships and do not get a taste for a more intimate experience.

Try everything is what I think.Then you can really comment.

wripro - thanks for this good and balanced review. I am surprised to hear about your CD, if it was DG, who we have always found excellent and friendly. However, obviously there are at least 2 who rotate on the ship, and maybe it was someone else.

wripro - thanks for this good and balanced review. I am surprised to hear about your CD, if it was DG, who we have always found excellent and friendly. However, obviously there are at least 2 who rotate on the ship, and maybe it was someone else.
I wondered who it was too as we got off Pride last May and had Jan Stearman and Aaron Seyfert, both were fine and his name escapes me...dark curly haired who used to often be second to Nick Hale had just gotten off....having a senior moment. Captain was around a lot. They seem to be shifting them a lot lately, probably because of impending sale.

Entertainment has always varied...we had some good talent and some forgettable comedians and magicians. I was like Wripro..after almost two months on the Pride I had trouble saying goodby....shed a quiet tear or two because I felt like I was leaving family.

Edited by redheadednancy

Thanks all. I specifically did not mention the name of the CD as this was my personal experience and it could be different for others. I am not one of those who depend on the CD for my amusement. That comes from books, other people and most of all, the sea.

May I ask about Chef Jes................ Is he a Brit, big chap, great personality who loves chatting with passengers? He did a few contracts recently with Andrew Soddy on Sojourn?

If it is the same chef I am so delighted he has been promoted as he really went out of his way to do everything he could for all his guests.

Jes has been executive chef on the triplets for a couple of years now, he loves to spend time with all of the passengers and nothing is ever too much trouble for him ( he really enjoys his 'shopping with the chef' tours whether it in the local markets in Indonesia or at the supermarket in Norway which was the only place that we could buy fresh salmon on a Sunday!)

J

rl787,

Yes, that is the same Jes. He is, as I said, not on;y a terrific chef, but a pleasure to talk to and kid around with. A great addition to Seabourn and I hope he continues with them.

Since we are talking chefs on the Pride I'd also like to mention Vikram, the chef in 2 at night. I dined there several times and no matter the theme he was superb.

So glad to read your review. We will be on the Pride in March celebrating my 35th with some friends and family and am looking forward to what will more than likely be our last sailing on one of the triplets. I know my hubby and I will miss these ships!

Nicole