Value of Elite-one specific cruise

vandalayceo

While I'm Elite and love the benefits the actual value of some of the benefts you list is grossly inflated. I'm not a big alcohol drinker so I trade my mini bar set up for all Diet Coke. Actual cash value of the 2 12 packs I carried on myself (equal to the minibar) about $6

I think Princess needs to trade the mini alcohol bottles for soda at a 2 for 1 value not an even 1 for 1 for a fairer trade value.

The Internet is a nice perk and I do use the laundry service but if it wasn't free I'd just wait until I got home. The wine tasting has no value to me as I don't drink wine

While I'm Elite and love the benefits the actual value of some of the benefts you list is grossly inflated. I'm not a big alcohol drinker so I trade my mini bar set up for all Diet Coke. Actual cash value of the 2 12 packs I carried on myself (equal to the minibar) about $6

I think Princess needs to trade the mini alcohol bottles for soda at a 2 for 1 value not an even 1 for 1 for a fairer trade value.

The Internet is a nice perk and I do use the laundry service but if it wasn't free I'd just wait until I got home. The wine tasting has no value to me as I don't drink wine

I usually trade for soda, too -- and it's the worst deal ever. I traded the last setup for two coffee cards. That is about a $60 value, much better compared to the price of 20 cans of soda -- either onboard, or carried onboard.

Boy I am soooo glad I read this forum. With 30+ cruises behind me with Princess, I did not realize that I could lose my and your benefits from doing too much laundry. :eek: My cabin stewart must not be aware of this danger either since she asks me daily for my laundry. I also used up all 150 of my internet minutes on this last cruise. I probably should have left 20-30 minutes behind because we could lose that privilege soon too.

Worse, I have gained about 3 pounds. I think that is probably from all the cheese and crackers I ate at Skywalkers during the elite hours. They are free and I have to admit I did go back for seconds every night. I am going to cut that down to just 1 small plate on the next cruise, maybe leaving the more gourmet/pricy cheeses untouched, in case that gets taken away too. That will benefit my weight too, I am sure.

Katherine

I am even worse. I trade it for bottled water which probably is worth about $3.

I am even worse. I trade it for bottled water which probably is worth about $3.

One can trade the mini bar setup for two coffee cards.

Those are worth about $30 each.

A nice trade would be to speciality dinner for two -- about

the same 'price'.

This would add something for people who don't drink alcahol

to trade for, without losing their shirts.

One can trade the mini bar setup for two coffee cards.

Those are worth about $30 each.

A nice trade would be to speciality dinner for two -- about

the same 'price'.

This would add something for people who don't drink alcahol

to trade for, without losing their shirts.

I am not a coffee drinker either. I sometimes drink soda but it is not a Coke product. I agree - I would rather get a specialty dinner or OBC. Oh well - I drink the water or take it with me.

Our elite laudary bill was over 400 dollar on our last 12 day cruise, that was for the 3 of us. Do I feel guilty, no, that's what needed to be done and that's what the perk is. Internet was changed becuse of wireless and e eryone having a tablet or laptop, not because of abuse. Wine policy is simply about profit.

Not sure if all this talk about overuse of laundry benefit being a problem is at all valid. Consider that typically it seems about 10% of passengers are elite any given cruise(my general experience),that is say 300 on larger vessels.

The laundry has to look after 1500 crew members needs, plus the insane amount of bed linens, towels, dining room linens, etc.

Don't think the 300 elites even overusing makes much of a dent in their capabilities.

On a 28 night cruise, I sent out laundry 3 times. I couldn't use the flimsy paper bags provided and asked the steward for a big plastic bag. Each time the cost was about $80.

On the TA for the new Royal, there were reports of Elites sending out laundry for friends...one sent out trousers in 3 different sizes! That's abuse.

We are elite and I am grateful for the perks princess gives us, we do trade our mini bar set up for diet cokes which is plenty, if we happen to run out as we did on our 28 day cruise, we just buy more at a port.Thankful for our laundry and internet, we usually send laundry out every 4 days, it's just great to get really useful things that mean a lot to us for using their ship and having a wonderful time. we love Princess and hope to sail many more times!

• 2 weeks later...

Am I thinking of a different cruiseline or maybe a different cabin category? Do the elite benefits come with breakfast at Sabitini's? I thought I heard this somewhere but don't see it in the Princess perks on their website. Also, is there an elite luncheon that is offered?

Maybe I dreamt this? :rolleyes:

Am I thinking of a different cruiseline or maybe a different cabin category? Do the elite benefits come with breakfast at Sabitini's? I thought I heard this somewhere but don't see it in the Princess perks on their website. Also, is there an elite luncheon that is offered?

Maybe I dreamt this? :rolleyes:

Breakfast at Sabitini's is only for full-suite guests and does not need any past Princess cruise history.

The top forty cruisers (based on number of past days on Princess) are invited to a luncheon (or a reception, depends on the Captain). Usually all of those that qualify will be elite.

can the mini bar alcohol be changed for wine but still leave the sodas?

i appreciate the elite perks but really wish princess would do a better elite lounge- i know everyone seems to love it but i don't see it as much of a perk when i'm still paying for a specific drink with a tiny discount. i don't use the laundry perk often but do drink - very jealous on my last celebrity cruises of their elite lounge and i think they get a special breakfast too

We have just done a 22 day cruise on HAL where we are 3 star Mariners so we are not entitled to very many perks. We spent $199 for the laundry package and $150 for the internet package so that would have been a saving of $349 if we had been on Princess as we are Elite.

We also missed so much about being Princess. As we had done a 16 day cruise on the Ocean Princess to Norway in June, we were able to compare the two cruise lines and Princess certainly won hands down with their food, entertainment, size of cabins and even the shops plus the poor waiters were run ragged in the dining room as they had far too many tables to serve. We do love the Indonesian and Philippino crew though, they haven't changed with their wonderful smiles and service.

We were very disappointed with HAL, they have really dropped their standards since we last cruised with them back in 2009. We won't be returning in a hurry and of course even when we get to 4 star Mariner (only 12 days to go), we wouldn't get free internet. Princess has definitely the best programme for rewarding their loyal cruisers.

Jennie

Interesting comments regarding HAL, guess we will find out, as we are cruising on the New Amsterdam in April, 14 day TA. We have not been on HAL for 4 years. Do agree Princess benefits are the best in the industry.

I had thought you could not receive both military and stockholder credit on the same cruise. You also mention elite OBC. I had not heard of that. I know elites get benefits for shopping. I did not know you received OBC simply for being elite.

One big advantage on Princess is the ability to combine OBCs such as the Elite, future cruise, military. credit card points,and any others that are offerd. Other lines do not always allow one to combine credits this way. I hope Princess never changes this.

As an Elite there is a small credit depending on the number of druises one has taken. It is for the cabin and not the individual

Perhaps one day Princess will restrict Elite members of Captains Circle to say one bag of laundry every 3 days, I would be happy with that. Some of these cruises that have many Elite members, the laundry must be flat chat with freebie laundry, which must lengthen the turn around time, I read on one of these boards that it was taking a week for turn around laundry due to so many Elites on board., many of whom were flogging the free laundry to death.

What say ye? Standby for incoming.

This gets so talked up that I wonder sometimes. On my first (so far only) sailing as Elite, I sent out dirty clothing as I filled a bag, on average alternate days. I do not consider this abusive. People like wearing clean clothes and Princess has intelligently taken over this worry for its best customers. Why would they restrict it?