Bon Voyage Dave (DMWNC1959)!!!

sunsetbeachgal

Dave,

I do not post much, but must with you. I followed your post on Everything Royal religiously and am now awed at all the wonderful pictures and information you are still giving. I was one of those that asked for an arrow. I almost feel I do not need to go now since you have shown everything with such great pictures, but then again it just makes me more eager to get aboard. We are sailing the week of the 15th. As you are getting off we will be getting on and more anxious then ever.

Have a wonderful cruise and know that a lot of people appreciate everything you have contributed to their cruise on the Royal.

Vie

Italian Night in the Horizon Court looks amazing!!! Lots of different focaccia, calamari, calzone, frittata, stuffed arancini, risotto, tortellini al pesto, penne, peasant pasta, lasagnas, shrimp, salmon, cheese bread, and pizza. Wow!!!

Gonna eat, check out what's going on for entertainment, and later an adult beverage of some sorts.

Ciao for now!!! :D

YUM! Calamari and risotto for me! Was the food as good as it sounds?

I can pretty much count on one hand the number of times I've eaten in Horizon Court for dinner; but this menu could change my mind about that!

Neal from Crooners says 'HI' to 'Hulk Hogan' (Joe), #1WineLover (Larry), and the whole gang from the Royal Princess Inaugural Caribbean's. He also said Tatyana has already gone home. :(

Evening strolls topside are on the slightly warm side, and my best guess is that it's not getting much cooler than 65 degrees.

I'll also try and get to the Concierge Lounge and Wedding Chapel tomorrow, but I think Ernie (eroller) may have some recent pictures if someone can please post the link here for his review and Flickr album here.

So far I've ate meals and/or snacked at:

- International Cafe

- Alfredo's

- Gelato

- Sabatini's

- Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar

- Pub Lunch

- Prego

- Trident Grill

- Horizon Court

- Horizon Bistro

- The Pastry Shop

Used only 3 punches on my Cafe Selects Coffee Card but I still have 10 more days and nights to try and remedy that.

Still want to go back to the Ocean Terrace again for the Dressed King Crab Cocktail that I saw Kristin's (macusr) husband Scott have while on the 10/29 Royal Princess sailing. And I don't recall seeing the Royal Afternoon Tea being advertised for a specific date yet, but the placards are displayed at Vines and IC. Same goes for Fondue's, which I want to try, but I'm thinking that maybe coming up real soon. And I still need to try to get to the Trident Grill Smokehouse BBQ one night.

I have Crown Grill reserved for tomorrow and Crab Shack on Friday. Don't worry Roseann, I'll 'suffer' lol through eating at any of these places again, no problem. ;)

And yes, there were a lot of shirts in that closet. I tend to overpack.

Wine Makers Table is next week, as is another Pub Lunch, Sabatini's, and Crown Grill, which I am looking forward to doing them again. The menu items at Sabatini's and CG are different enough that I can repeat the venue and not the meal. Plus I'll have new friends to share the experience with.

And I had the most delicious platter of premium canapés this evening before our St. Thomas sail away. They were promptly delivered and waiting for me at the perfect moment, which was while I was recharging my cell phone and external battery from all the pictures posted today.

Dinner was pretty tasty, although the first plate ended up on the floor. Yup, everyone turned around and starred. ;)

As for the Whisky ages, this from the head bartender at the Wheelhouse Bar:

Dalwhinnie - 15

Craggenmore - 12

Talisker - 10

All 12 years:

Glenfiddich

Glenlivet

Glenkinchie

Been listening to the atrium music from Crooners and just relaxing, getting off my feet, and enjoying a (teeny tiny) glass of Harvey's Bristol Creme someone recommended.

Still haven't seen any of the new production shows, tonight is 'Ye Olde London Pub Night' and Master Illusionist David Cats. I'll wait until next week to see all of them. It's probably going to be an early night for me.

Today we were docked at Crown Bay, next week will be Havensight.

Tomorrow is St. Martin and I'll post those patters after I watch our arrival and breakfast.

Dave,

Thank you for taking so much time to answer questions and post photos. It appears you are have a very good time. Better than on the Ruby??

I look forward to your impressions of the Winemaker's Dinner.

We had to cancel our cruises on the Royal and are skipping to the Regal next September.

Neal from Crooners says 'HI' to 'Hulk Hogan' (Joe), #1WineLover (Larry), and the whole gang from the Royal Princess Inaugural Caribbean's. He also said Tatyana has already gone home. :(

Evening strolls topside are on the slightly warm side, and my best guess is that it's not getting much cooler than 65 degrees.

I'll also try and get to the Concierge Lounge and Wedding Chapel tomorrow, but I think Ernie (eroller) may have some recent pictures if someone can please post the link here for his review and Flickr album here.

So far I've ate meals and/or snacked at:

- International Cafe

- Alfredo's

- Gelato

- Sabatini's

- Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar

- Pub Lunch

- Prego

- Trident Grill

- Horizon Court

- Horizon Bistro

- The Pastry Shop

Used only 3 punches on my Cafe Selects Coffee Card but I still have 10 more days and nights to try and remedy that.

Still want to go back to the Ocean Terrace again for the Dressed King Crab Cocktail that I saw Kristin's (macusr) husband Scott have while on the 10/29 Royal Princess sailing. And I don't recall seeing the Royal Afternoon Tea being advertised for a specific date yet, but the placards are displayed at Vines and IC. Same goes for Fondue's, which I want to try, but I'm thinking that maybe coming up real soon. And I still need to try to get to the Trident Grill Smokehouse BBQ one night.

I have Crown Grill reserved for tomorrow and Crab Shack on Friday. Don't worry Roseann, I'll 'suffer' lol through eating at any of these places again, no problem. ;)

And yes, there were a lot of shirts in that closet. I tend to overpack.

Wine Makers Table is next week, as is another Pub Lunch, Sabatini's, and Crown Grill, which I am looking forward to doing them again. The menu items at Sabatini's and CG are different enough that I can repeat the venue and not the meal. Plus I'll have new friends to share the experience with.

And I had the most delicious platter of premium canapés this evening before our St. Thomas sail away. They were promptly delivered and waiting for me at the perfect moment, which was while I was recharging my cell phone and external battery from all the pictures posted today.

Dinner was pretty tasty, although the first plate ended up on the floor. Yup, everyone turned around and starred. ;)

As for the Whisky ages, this from the head bartender at the Wheelhouse Bar:

Dalwhinnie - 15

Craggenmore - 12

Talisker - 10

All 12 years:

Glenfiddich

Glenlivet

Glenkinchie

Been listening to the atrium music from Crooners and just relaxing, getting off my feet, and enjoying a (teeny tiny) glass of Harvey's Bristol Creme someone recommended.

Still haven't seen any of the new production shows, tonight is 'Ye Olde London Pub Night' and Master Illusionist David Cats. I'll wait until next week to see all of them. It's probably going to be an early night for me.

Today we were docked at Crown Bay, next week will be Havensight.

Tomorrow is St. Martin and I'll post those patters after I watch our arrival and breakfast.

Did you have a problem in booking the fine dinning venues by phone or going direct on sailing days. In the past it has always been a rush the make reservations for the week !

Dave, so glad you're enjoying the Royal... and she's meeting your expectations. I'm loving following your observations and photos.

The Sanctuary photo is interesting to me since it sounds like they are experimenting with different options. On the T/A, the Sanctuary opened at 8:30am and to get a lounger for that day, you had to be lined up by 7:45am. Then, I read that they were taking reservations for the next day after 1pm. From the photo, it sounds like they're taking reservations 24 hours ahead. If that's right, people will be lining up at 7am for the next day. Crazy. :(

I was on board the Royal Princess for the Nov. 10th sailing. I missed getting a full week sanctuary package by about 5 couples, so wound up buying a day at a time. They had just decided to sell the day prior on that cruise and I think it worked well for them. And they told me that on the prior cruise they put the next day passes on sale at 1pm but they had a lot of people lining up by 11am and that didn't work well for them. I did 5 days at the sanctuary and only got up early for the second to last sea day. I didn't book the last day.

ETA: Some people were in line for the sea days by 6:20am.

Edited by yoyosma

I was on board the Royal Princess for the Nov. 10th sailing. I missed getting a full week sanctuary package by about 5 couples, so wound up buying a day at a time. They had just decided to sell the day prior on that cruise and I think it worked well for them. And they told me that on the prior cruise they put the next day passes on sale at 1pm but they had a lot of people lining up by 11am and that didn't work well for them. I did 5 days at the sanctuary and only got up early for the second to last sea day. I didn't book the last day.

ETA: Some people were in line for the sea days by 6:20am.

What time did you board?

We always try to book the Sanctuary for the whole cruise and try to get to the pier by 11 and are Elite so get to board pretty early. I'm getting the feeling that it's even MORE competitive for the Royal than it has been for other ships.

Edited by chamima

Early to bed, early to rise...awake again at 5am, so after a quick shower headed up for another glorious port arrival. And the skies opened up. Under the protective sheltered area of the Horizon Terrace the faithful gathered to watch MSC Musica and Celebrity Summit arrive.

Breakfast was again courtesy of the Horizon Court and eaten outside on wonderful Horizon Terrace, with a dozen other tables full of hopeful passengers declaring that the rain will clear up soon. Uh huh. Independence of the Seas joined the party around 8:30ish. I'm staying on the ship again. ;)

It's now 10:15am and at least it's stopped raining, for now.

For those wanting to trek to Maho Beach to see the planes land the price *per person* in a taxi is now $10. This was confirmed by the Cruise Director. Most of those on our Roll Call that were going have now decided that they would rather stay aboard and spend their money on the ship.

Here's today's Princess Patters. Will be back later to try and answer any questions.

11221815323_25d0877984_b.jpg

11221815833_772921d849_b.jpg

11221816423_21185df370_b.jpg

11221816953_5c8e5c67db_b.jpg

Good morning to all those who are following Dave on his cruise,

We all seem to be really enjoying the photos and information that Dave is generously sharing while on his cruise.

But he does not have unlimited internet minutes :eek:.

alexmom had a great idea to personally provide a General Onboard Gift Credit for Dave. Anyone can do it!! And the OBC will be applied to his account the same day. The Princess phone number is toll free. (800-774-6237-Then press 3) You just need to know that his name is David Walker and his stateroom is C406. It can be done anonymously if you prefer - you can include a note, or not.

Please consider expressing your appreciation in a tangible way. :):)

Kay

Posted by DMW1959NC: Just trying to get as much posted before we leave St. Thomas since I can use AT&T. Once we leave, I'm back in the ships internet and I've been burning through 250 minutes pretty quick.

.....We all owe him so much..... .

Other people found ways to bless Dave and I'm going to try and step up to the plate, just as soon as one of you cruise vets tells the newbie how to procure an onboard credit thingie......

...Contact Princess and say you want to provide whichever gift it is. You will need his name, the ship and sail date.
Thanks carbill, that was easy peasey and DONE !! ...........he can spend it on what ever he wants. NOW I'm happy ; )

(Don't know why the multi-quotes function would not work for Dave's post.)

Dave,

I see that shows such as the Beatlemaniacs are only being presented twice in an evening, not three times.

Does this mean they are still closer to the original 50 minutes length of shows? Or are they also reduced to around 30 minutes?

Thanks

Edited by caribill

I don't know if it was because I wasn't dealing directly with Gifts and Services (they had closed for the day) or because I didn't have Dave's room number but my credit purchase will be given to Dave on the back half of his B2B (Dec 8-16). The person I talked to was unable to credit him for this leg of his journey. And you can give a credit as low as $25 which will buys him minutes, bellinis or crab !!

And thanks S'villeGals for running with the ball on this one !!

I don't know if it was because I wasn't dealing directly with Gifts and Services (they had closed for the day) or because I didn't have Dave's room number but my credit purchase will be given to Dave on the back half of his B2B (Dec 8-16). The person I talked to was unable to credit him for this leg of his journey. And you can give a credit as low as $25 which will buys him minutes, bellinis or crab !!

And thanks S'villeGals for running with the ball on this one !!

Hi alexmom - when I spoke to Richard at the 800-774-6235 ext. 3 number, he said OBCs are "posted" to the ship account the same day - hopefully he was correct!! And the thanks goes to you for the idea.

I don't post much, I like to lurk, but I must say Dave you are doing an outstanding job, making me super excited for our trip Dec 15th the decorations are lovely!!!! upset at the lack of "Movies" under the stars, the concert series stinks, and not much at night...my 10yr old son died when he saw all the sweets...thank you Dave

The only complaint I've heard at all regarding the food on Royal Princess is concerning the quality in the main dining rooms. Apparently it is not very good. Everywhere I've eaten it's been quite good.

As for the MDR menus, I'll have to start this coming Sunday and take pictures and post them here. Apparent they lock them up in a time-delayed top secret vault and they are impossible to access. ;) There are two threads, one each by Christine Lee and DragonQueen (with pictures ), and in the mean time if someone can hunt them down and post the links here that would be great.

With that said please stop eating at Alfredo's. It's starting to get real busy as the word gets out, and today's lunch crowd kept the place hopping. I really like the Summer Sangria. A lot. And the Stuffed Eggplant, well, I walked away completely satisfied. I've had two really great waiters at Alfredo's, Nebojsa (Monday) and Roman (today).

Before lunch I spent a few hours taking pictures around the ship along Decks 6 and 7. The Enclave was really steaming the day I took the tour and I'm not sure my camera won't fog up, but this coming Sunday I'll try and do the tour again and take some pictures after Embarkation Day lunch.

As for booking the Specialty Restaurants, if there is a specific day and/or time you want, my best recommendation is to do it the moment your board the ship. I walked up to the Head Waiter at Sabatini's on Sunday and booked, never used the Dine Line, and then ate lunch at the International Cafe. Don't wait until later or it may be booked solid.

I think all the Christmas decorations were installed in St. Thomas. In the atrium there is the garland on the main columns, a couple of wreaths near the Juliette Balcony, and a really beautiful tree on the forward side of Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar. There really is no place to put a large scaled tree in the atrium and piazza without blocking the floor used for dancing, or obstructing the center access to the spiral stairs. I was hoping they would have garland on the stairs but there is none.

As for this cruise experience compared to Ruby Princess, knowing that mine last year was rather unique (really, really bad), and having my expectations in check for this cruise, so far I have enjoyed Royal Princess considerably more. The beautiful decor, elegant ambiance, food, various new venues, service, and accommodations have all been wonderful. That's not to say that there aren't some folks having issues, hate this or that, or have complained openly about literally everything. But I'm grateful that I've had no issues so far, am booked for another week, and have had so many Cruise Critic members that came before me to make recommendations on what to try and do. And for those who were persistent in voicing their concerns on certain design issues, I thank them as well, even though I've had very little impact, or no impact at all, on my vacation by those same issues.

Today's lunch at Alfredo's

11224754164_e288097d59_c.jpg

11224754674_27073008c1_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

I don't post much, I like to lurk, but I must say Dave you are doing an outstanding job, making me super excited for our trip Dec 15th the decorations are lovely!!!! upset at the lack of "Movies" under the stars, the concert series stinks, and not much at night...my 10yr old son died when he saw all the sweets...thank you Dave

MUTS has movies every night, except when deck party such as Hot Latin nights is on, which I thought was great, the whole deck was one big party.

Edited by SwissDave

The only complaint I've heard at all regarding the food on Royal Princess is concerning the quality in the main dining rooms. Apparently it is not very good. Everywhere I've eaten it's been quite good.

As for the MDR menus, I'll have to start this coming Sunday and take pictures and post them here. Apparent they lock them up in a time-delayed top secret vault and they are impossible to access. ;) There are two threads, one each by Christine Lee and DragonQueen (with pictures ), and in the mean time if someone can hunt them down and post the links here that would be great.

With that said please stop eating at Alfredo's. It's starting to get real busy as the word gets out, and today's lunch crowd kept the place hopping. I really like the Summer Sangria. A lot. And the Stuffed Eggplant, well, I walked away completely satisfied. I've had two really great waiters at Alfredo's, Nebojsa (Monday) and Roman (today).

Before lunch I spent a few hours taking pictures around the ship along Decks 6 and 7. The Enclave was really steaming the day I took the tour and I'm not sure my camera won't fog up, but this coming Sunday I'll try and do the tour again and take some pictures after Embarkation Day lunch.

As for booking the Specialty Restaurants, if there is a specific day and/or time you want, my best recommendation is to do it the moment your board the ship. I walked up to the Head Waiter at Sabatini's on Sunday and booked, never used the Dine Line, and then ate lunch at the International Cafe. Don't wait until later or it may be booked solid.

I think all the Christmas decorations were installed in St. Thomas. In the atrium there is the garland on the main columns, a couple of wreaths near the Juliette Balcony, and a really beautiful tree on the forward side of Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar. There really is no place to put a large scaled tree in the atrium and piazza without blocking the floor used for dancing, or obstructing the center access to the spiral stairs. I was hoping they would have garland on the stairs but there is none.

As for this cruise experience compared to Ruby Princess, knowing that mine last year was rather unique (really, really bad), and having my expectations in check for this cruise, so far I have enjoyed Royal Princess considerably more. The beautiful decor, elegant ambiance, food, various new venues, service, and accommodations have all been wonderful. That's not to say that there aren't some folks having issues, hate this or that, or have complained openly about literally everything. But I'm grateful that I've had no issues so far, am booked for another week, and have had so many Cruise Critic members that came before me to make recommendations on what to try and do. And for those who were persistent in voicing their concerns on certain design issues, I thank them as well, even though I've had very little impact, or no impact at all, on my vacation by those same issues.

Today's lunch at Alfredo's

11224754164_e288097d59_c.jpg

11224754674_27073008c1_c.jpg

Thank You Dave ! You are such a valuable asset to have !