Reflection Dress Code....Just Back!!!

thephillykid

I really hate formal nights and never dress formally but if I was going to be seated with a bunch of strangers I would agree that it would be impolite to ignore the dress code. I'd completely understand if people complained and in that situation I'd just avoid the MDR.

However I really don't understand how my clothing affects anyone else if I am seated at another table with just family or friends. The idea of complaining about the clothing of people seated at another table complete bemuses me.

On another note I'd like to say how pleased I am that this thread is still open. I went away for a week and come back to find it has reached 14 pages. Well done, one and all!

We will do our best to keep it open.:D

I do take umbrage to those who would suggest I try a different cruise line more suited to my tastes just because I don't fall in line with someone elses ideals and standards of how I should look at meal time. That statement is insulting and suggestive that I'm of lower station than the person who suggested it. Sorry to disappoint, but we make decent money (which we paid to go on this much-needed vacation, and Celebrity more than eagerly accepted), and we don't need to impress a bunch of strangers on vacation. We don't need to foster any kind of illusion that we're on the Titannic with first class, all the while glaring down our nose at those in steerage sailing on a Carnival ship. I cringe when I hear the "it's my vacation and I'll do what I want" mentality, but in essence it is true for those of us who really don't give a fart if our fancy duds meet with the approval of the fashion gestapo or not.

Why don't we chose another cruise line? Well, we've sailed Carnival. The food sucks, we're over hairy chest contests, and people sunbathing on Lido in their underwear. We'd like to explore other options that would be a better fit for us, but we would like to make that judgement, and not someone we've never met before, and probably won't ever meet again. Also, we need a vacation, the price and itinerary was perfect for us, and we've got a project to get working on, and a relaxing vacation is a good place to get crackin!

You've so captured my thinking on this subject.

I'd like to add that if Celebrity felt it's bottom line $$$ was all good sailing with only those that welcome the opportunity to wear tuxes and gowns, then they wouldn't have a relaxing dress code that seems to allow for the boundries to be pushed. Blame Celebrity if you don't like sitting around others that dress within the "suggested" guidelines set by them ... heck blame them too if they allow those that like to push the envelope even further. Not everyone comes from the same demographics and dress is very subjective. Add to that luggage restrictions when flying given not all of us can drive to the port.

And to think I almost let this type of thread discourage me from sailing Celebrity as I am not a dress up type person so I began to question what I consider to be acceptable dress. How stupid was that !!!!!!!!

Let me add, however, that I would not wear torn jeans to a formal wear dinner :) I would be the one uncomfortable.

Edited by poffles

Let me add, however, that I would not wear torn jeans to a formal wear dinner :) I would be the one uncomfortable.

Hey.....some of those torn jeans are designer originals and might cost more than a ball gown!! :eek::eek:

Reminds me or the OJ Simpson trial when Kato Kaelin was on the stand. My mother said "don't you think he knew he was going to be on TV and would have run a comb through his hair"!!

Edited by CaroleSS

This is a real question for those of you who have tuxedos and suits.

Is there any difference in packing a tux versus a suit?

My DH has worn both, but always rent a tux or we bring a suit. Was just wondering if he had his own tux.

I am just curious about this.

How about a sports jacket and pants, but no tie?

I guess I would have to ask you if you consider that formal wear according to Celebrity's definition? Most people would consider that smart casual. It really is just common sense. People will wear what they want to wear and then it is their own problem if they feel out of place.

I never quite understand why people come here trying to get others to agree about what THEY think is acceptable. Celebrity makes it plain what their dress code is and until and unless it changes all the rest of the questions and comments are just made to try to justify something to themselves. It all really comes down to personal responsibility. You can't legislate good manners and common sense.;)

There are a lot of combinations that people "get away with" and that seems to be the bottom line for some.

I think it's a shame that even with all the alternatives on Formal Nights people still want to force their own agenda, but it happens. As I've said many times before, most people do respect the dress code and those who don't have to deal with it themselves. To each his own.

My DH has worn both, but always rent a tux or we bring a suit. Was just wondering if he had his own tux.

I think many men prefer a suit because it is more versatile and could be worn using the pants and jacket separately or worn on a land portion of their vacation. My husband does have his own tux and usually brings both. It's really not difficult to pack.

Edited by Ma Bell

With a suit, the ties, shirts and shoes worn with it can be used at other times. Depending on the suit, the pants can also be worn without the jacket. With a tuxedo, however, there is no similar flexibility. If luggage weight/space isn't an issue, by all means buy a tux, but if you fly to your port of embarkation, a suit is the better choice in my opinion.

My DH always takes a tux. Sometimes in addition, if a long cruise may also take a dinner jacket to use with his tux pants. No difference in packing!

I guess I would have to ask you if you consider that formal wear according to Celebrity's definition? Most people would consider that smart casual. It really is just common sense. People will wear what they want to wear and then it is their own problem if they feel out of place.

I never quite understand why people come here trying to get others to agree about what THEY think is acceptable. Celebrity makes it plain what their dress code is and until and unless it changes all the rest of the questions and comments are just made to try to justify something to themselves. It all really comes down to personal responsibility. You can't legislate good manners and common sense.;)

There are a lot of combinations that people "get away with" and that seems to be the bottom line for some.

I think it's a shame that even with all the alternatives on Formal Nights people still want to force their own agenda, but it happens. As I've said many times before, most people do respect the dress code and those who don't have to deal with it themselves. To each his own.

Good post, Ma Bell. :D

Hey.....some of those torn jeans are designer originals and might cost more than a ball gown!! :eek::eek:

Reminds me or the OJ Simpson trial when Kato Kaelin was on the stand. My mother said "don't you think he knew he was going to be on TV and would have run a comb through his hair"!!

True enough ... so really anything goes LOL :D

I think many men prefer a suit because it is more versatile and could be worn using the pants and jacket separately or worn on a land portion of their vacation. My husband does have his own tux and usually brings both. It's really not difficult to pack.

I bring a suit and or tux and it really is not difficult to pack. I have seen a youtube video of how a man in Singapore demonstrates how to pack a suit and shirts without needing to iron them on unpacking. I have done it several times and it works very effectively.

Hint: it involves a certain way of folding and using a vaccumm type bag but leave air in it for cushioning.:D

While I think wearing a Tux on a Celebrity Cruise is dated and unnecessary, I think it is silly to bring or rent a tux. I mean really. I think a business casual is good enough.

Nevertheles, its depressing to think there are people around that thinks its OK to wear flip flops and shorts to dinner. Sign of the times. If you want to wear flip flops to dinner, stick with Carnival, please.

Your response about not having to bring the Tux is all the reason I need. When you say it's not necessary, then others feel the same & slowly the style of dress descends to Carnival levels. It's why we chose Cunard. We love dressing up. Unfortunately, Cunard has pretty much abandoned the Caribbean, so we have to look at other lines. Celebrity & HAL seem to fit our choices now.

I say we can now close this thread. Perfectly stated. I applaud you Ma Bell!

We usually do 14 night or longer cruises. I bring one tuxedo, three tuxedo shirts and three different long ties. The rest is smart casual attire. The tux is actually easier to travel with.

SDT

PS: The air restriction/luggage weight arguement is BS!

Edited by SHill64

We usually do 14 night or longer cruises. I bring one tuxedo, three tuxedo shirts and three different long ties. The rest is smart casual attire. The tux is actually easier to travel with.

SDT

PS: Th air restriction/luggage weight arguement is BS!

agree:D

Your response about not having to bring the Tux is all the reason I need. When you say it's not necessary, then others feel the same & slowly the style of dress descends to Carnival levels. It's why we chose Cunard. We love dressing up. Unfortunately, Cunard has pretty much abandoned the Caribbean, so we have to look at other lines. Celebrity & HAL seem to fit our choices now.

Dress on Celebrity is not all that different than on Carnival. The difference is they don't pretend on Carnival. I don't care for Carnival, I dislike their ships, their maintenance and service, but when you say talk about Carnival styles of dress you don't know what you are talking about.

I went on QM2 and no thanks to that again. Certainly not suited to the Caribbean.

Celebrity and HAL are my top choices too, but for the food and service. I don't care what people wear and plenty on Celebrity and HAL are not wearing a tux or a suit on formal evenings.