Cost Cutting in full Swing

jayisgerman

That would have absolutely zero effect upon those who make the cutback decisions. It would be a clear case of shooting the messenger.

I agree that there are some cutbacks that are beyond the control of the crew, but there are some that I believe that have been brought in by the crew themselves. I have spoken with DW about this thread and she reminded me that the only time anyone came to check our minibar on our recent cruise was on the morning we were disembarking. There were several times that we opened the refrigerator to get a soft drink only to discover that it had not been restocked. It wasn't restocked during the entire cruise. This is an income generating service provided by HAL, so it makes no sense for it not to be restocked each day. This is lost income and I don't believe that HAL would bring in a policy to only check the fridges on disembarkation anymore than I believe that they would bring in a policy to not supply ice in a room in a tropical climate. These are decisions made by the cabin steward.

I agree that there are some cutbacks that are beyond the control of the crew, but there are some that I believe that have been brought in by the crew themselves..........

No doubt that is true, but bottom line is that some of the services that the cabin stewards used to perform get lost now because of corporate HAL's cutbacks in crew. Cost cutting, especially in labor, have far reaching unintended consequences. The stewards have so many more cabins to service than they used to, and in the MDR so many more tables to serve, the extras we are used to and still want just can't get done. There are just so many hours in a day.

I agree that there are some cutbacks that are beyond the control of the crew, but there are some that I believe that have been brought in by the crew themselves. I have spoken with DW about this thread and she reminded me that the only time anyone came to check our minibar on our recent cruise was on the morning we were disembarking. There were several times that we opened the refrigerator to get a soft drink only to discover that it had not been restocked. It wasn't restocked during the entire cruise. This is an income generating service provided by HAL, so it makes no sense for it not to be restocked each day. This is lost income and I don't believe that HAL would bring in a policy to only check the fridges on disembarkation anymore than I believe that they would bring in a policy to not supply ice in a room in a tropical climate. These are decisions made by the cabin steward.

Sorry, but I can't imagine any scenario where a crew member would choose a lesser level of service. They really do depend upon those tips and it would be financial suicide to intentionally put them in jeopardy. Only once, in over 200 cruise days, have I had a crew member tell me he couldn't fill my request. I'm convinced he was new and didn't know any better - as the matter was quickly remedied by someone else.

As for the minibar - that is serviced by the Beverage Department, not by the Cabin Steward. In fact, I doubt the Cabin Stewards are even permitted to open that door unless specifically asked to do so. A quick call to the front desk, and a request for daily refilling, would have solved the problem. Yes, this may have been automatic at some point - but just think about the time wasted in checking minibars that are never even used. I believe it's much more efficient to service only those that are actually in need.

I think it's sometimes easy to blame the Cabin Steward for a deficiency, when he actually has no input on his job description. At least not in any immediate sense.

Could the annual report profit results just released by Carnival Corp have

been the catalyst for cost cutting??

The cutbacks have been evident long before the most recent annual report was issued. They have been going on for an extended period of time though the most recent report could possibly be catalyst for more cost cutting, as you suggest.

Sorry, but I can't imagine any scenario where a crew member would choose a lesser level of service. They really do depend upon those tips and it would be financial suicide to intentionally put them in jeopardy. Only once, in over 200 cruise days, have I had a crew member tell me he couldn't fill my request. I'm convinced he was new and didn't know any better - as the matter was quickly remedied by someone else.

As for the minibar - that is serviced by the Beverage Department, not by the Cabin Steward. In fact, I doubt the Cabin Stewards are even permitted to open that door unless specifically asked to do so. A quick call to the front desk, and a request for daily refilling, would have solved the problem. Yes, this may have been automatic at some point - but just think about the time wasted in checking minibars that are never even used. I believe it's much more efficient to service only those that are actually in need.

I think it's sometimes easy to blame the Cabin Steward for a deficiency, when he actually has no input on his job description. At least not in any immediate sense.

It just makes no sense, IMO, for HAL to bring in a policy to discourage passengers from enjoying beverages in their stateroom. I also noted in a passenger review of the ship a week before our sailing, the passenger stated that their cabin was on the side opposite ours and their ice bucket was filled every day.

I also believe that the hallmark of outstanding service is to not have to ask for anything. I should not have to ask to have the mini bar restocked anymore than I should have to ask to have the bed made or the washroom cleaned or for a waiter to remove my plate when I am finished eating.

Don't get me wrong - this wasn't a big deal for us and we did not allow it to affect our enjoyment of our cruise in anyway. We will be back on the NA again as we had a wonderful cruise.

I bring pen and paper, and will place a note on our bed before we leave the cabin, if I'm in need of anything, like soda, or fresh wine glasses... True, REAL service would mean the service staff anticipate and fill your every wish... but they don't have time to be mind readers!

REAL service would mean the service staff anticipate and fill your every wish... but they don't have time to be mind readers!

Especially when staff levels have been cut and the remaining stewards have been assigned more cabins to take care of.

They barely have time to properly clean and prep a stateroom in between sailings.. Have you ever looked at the edges of the carpet and in the corners of the stateroom? I am not trying to be disparaging I am only stating there are only so many hours on a shift,

We are now living in a "WalMart World". We want everything cheap and corporations are cost cutting and downsizing to please the consumer.

Please don't lump us all together.

We would rather not have a product than have it be inferior.

When it sinks to a certain level, it is worth nothing to us.

We understand one has to pay for quality and we'd rather do without or go less often but have what we enjoy.

Edited by sail7seas

We are now living in a "WalMart World". We want everything cheap and corporations are cost cutting and downsizing to please the consumer.

The cost cutting and downsizing are to please the shareholders and Board of Directors, no?

If the shareholders are making a profit, then they are happy.

I'm sure there is a fine line between keeping the customer satisfied and ensuring they are repeat customers, and creating negative experiences, where the brand is cheapened and no longer a respected brand. Not sure HAL is there yet. Our last cruise was fabulous, and I'm hoping our next cruise is as well. If not, there are many other vacation options out there!

I am been reading this thread with a great deal of interest. We are taking our third HAL cruise but have taken many more Celebrity cruises. We choose by itinerary not line usually. We spent 35 days on the Celebrity Solstice last winter, and I must say we were served cooked carrots at every dinner. It became a joke. I love raw carrots but don't bother with cooked ones. My test for our upcoming HAL cruise will be the variety of veggies served at dinner. I can test for cost cutting by knowing how many meals end up with cooked carrots. We had great fresh vegetables on our last HAL cruise but it was 1 1/2 years ago. I'd be interested in knowing if this is still true.

FYI - the "Day of the week" mats are still on OSDM. They were there in Jul/Aug. As a matter of fact, a couple of nice teens ripped a set off and stored them in their cabin, but we got them back

As teen pranks go, this one seems pretty harmless. I don't know the extenuating circumstances, but hope they did not end up with a 10 year sentence in a Haitian prison.

I am been reading this thread with a great deal of interest. We are taking our third HAL cruise but have taken many more Celebrity cruises. We choose by itinerary not line usually. We spent 35 days on the Celebrity Solstice last winter, and I must say we were served cooked carrots at every dinner. It became a joke. I love raw carrots but don't bother with cooked ones. My test for our upcoming HAL cruise will be the variety of veggies served at dinner. I can test for cost cutting by knowing how many meals end up with cooked carrots. We had great fresh vegetables on our last HAL cruise but it was 1 1/2 years ago. I'd be interested in knowing if this is still true.

We had carrots (cooked) twice on the Eurodam for dinner earlier this month. Sadly, the veggies were lacking for us on this cruise (even compared to our cruise on HAL last year).

As teen pranks go, this one seems pretty harmless. I don't know the extenuating circumstances, but hope they did not end up with a 10 year sentence in a Haitian prison.

Really? Why do they need to do that? You sound like someone that might be used to making excuses for others.

No, 10 years in prison does seem a bit extreme. Putting the teens, and their parents, off at the next port would be sufficient, I would think.

Now if I did the prank, I would have measured the mats and make my own. On each day I would replace one correct one for a modified one.

Sonday, Manday, Tauesday, Wendesday, Thorsday, Friedday, Satorday

Then keep an eye out a year later on the same ship if anyone caught the difference and removed the mat from "service."