Small ship vs large?

Hula Hips

Smaller ships mean less tendering and better port access. That is it. My worst cruise was the Ocean Princess. I was led to believe the staff to customer ratio would mean better service but that was not true at all. And so many public rooms serve double duty for activities. Under 90,000 tons: not my thang.

We have not sailed on Princess' small ships, but from our experience with HAL, I'd say that smaller doesn't necessarily mean better. Look at the public space to passenger ratio and crew to passenger ratio. Smaller ships also have fewer scheduled activities and smaller entertainment budgets.

I agree with the service question. I don't feel it was any better on the Ocean vs. larger ships.

The things that made a difference to us where the better docking locations, the quicker tendering, quicker disembarkation, seeing passengers you've met more often, shorter walks all over the ship to venues or your cabin, and a more intimate feeling. We also greatly appreciated the sofa in the balcony cabins.

For some, the negatives might be more ship movement, less performance venues or smaller ones, less pools and less variety of food in the buffet.

I spent 12 days on the Pacific Princess a couple of months ago and loved that ship. I have also cruised on what is now the Ocean Princess back a few years when she was still the Tahitian Princess, which I also loved.

Because of the smaller size, it only takes a few minutes to get to wherever you need/want to be on those ships. Lines are almost nonexistent.

The staff and crew seem to be more accessible, maybe because of fewer passengers onboard. I had great service from them on both ships.

Because one sees the other passengers over and over again, it's easier to get to know them.

I really enjoyed that the shows and other entertainment takes place in the Cabaret Lounge, since there is no theater on those ships. The performers are right in front of you, instead of up on a stage.

The decor of these 2 ships is more "classic" ... dark woods, "parlor" style of furniture.

The cabins are roomier than on the larger ships. All categories of cabins have sofas, including insides. Minisuites are amazingly large ... almost square. Besides the usual beds and nightstands, ours was furnished with a sofa, 2 chairs, a small table between the 2 chairs, a floor lamp, and a coffee table. The bathrooms are also larger, and the hairdryer is attached to the wall IN the bathroom.

I enjoyed cruising on the 'little ladies' so much that I have booked another cruise on the Ocean for next year.

I enjoyed sailing on the Ocean Princess in the South Pacific so much last April that we have decided to concentrate on small ship cruises. We met so many people that have become close friends. We had better service than on the big ship cruises we have been on. Hardly any waits anywhere. While big shows may be nice, the small shows were still enjoyable. We are doing 51 days + another 12 day on the Pacific Princess this winter. Really can't wait!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are sailing on a "small ship" for the first time next year. We are booked on the Island Princess in December 2014.

My wife has wanted to give small ship cruising a try for a long time. After reading this thread and so many positive comments, I am beginning to look forward to the small ship experience.

Edited by JimAOk1945

There are pluses and minus' to small vs. large ships. To me, it's kind of like: college vs. university; grocery store vs. supermarket. I've loved my small ship cruises, my late brother-in-law hated them because there weren't as many bridge players.

I think the small ships generally have much more interesting itineraries, they are easier to disembark and re-embark, the entertainers do double duty on the CD's staff, it's much quicker to get from one end of the ship to the other, and the people who sail on small ships tend to be "travelers" rather than vacationers, i.e., people with a sense of adventure who look forward to seeing and exploring new places. The negatives are that there isn't as much entertainment, only Traditional dining, and the specialty dining take turns in the buffet.

Here's an excellent review of the Pacific Princess by Carnival's Chief Cruise Director, John Heald. While it's an older article, it's still true.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2008/06/25/pacific-princessa-day-onboard-a-5-star-country-inn/

There are pluses and minus' to small vs. large ships. To me, it's kind of like: college vs. university; grocery store vs. supermarket. I've loved my small ship cruises, my late brother-in-law hated them because there weren't as many bridge players.

I think the small ships generally have much more interesting itineraries, they are easier to disembark and re-embark, the entertainers do double duty on the CD's staff, it's much quicker to get from one end of the ship to the other, and the people who sail on small ships tend to be "travelers" rather than vacationers, i.e., people with a sense of adventure who look forward to seeing and exploring new places. The negatives are that there isn't as much entertainment, only Traditional dining, and the specialty dining take turns in the buffet.

Here's an excellent review of the Pacific Princess by Carnival's Chief Cruise Director, John Heald. While it's an older article, it's still true.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2008/06/25/pacific-princessa-day-onboard-a-5-star-country-inn/

Thanks Pam for posting this article. I have sailed on an R ship: Oceania Insignia. I had wondered how the Princess R ships differed, since Oceania has famously poured millions of dollars into renovating theirs every few years. John's article sounds just like a description of our cruise on Insignia.

With your vouch that it is still true, I can add my advice to OP that the Princess small ships are a wonderful alternative to the megaship vast-crowd cruising experience.

[The only caveat I would make to John's article is this: "This is a English Country hotel where Jeeves and Wooster are ready to serve." Having Jeeves as one's butler would be heaven indeed, but having Bertie Wooster "ready to serve" would be a complete disaster as proven in all the Wodehouse novels. :D]

The negatives ..... the specialty dining take turns in the buffet.

The specialty dining does take turns, but not in the buffet areas.

Sabationi's and the Sterling Steakhouse each have their own dedicated dining rooms on deck 10. Only one is open on any evening. The one that is not open as a restaurant will be used for the elite/platinum/suite evening reception.

"We are sailing on a 'small ship' for the first time next year. We are booked on the Island Princess in December 2014."

You will love the Island Princess. I consider the Island and the Coral to be 'medium-sized' ships, although compared to some of the behemoths on the seas, I can see why some would call them small. These two are my favorite Princess ships.

For me, my definition of small is 50,000 tons and under. There are those who love the intimacy of the R-class ships. I just feel trapped on these.

Edited by Bently57

"We are sailing on a 'small ship' for the first time next year. We are booked on the Island Princess in December 2014."

You will love the Island Princess. I consider the Island and the Coral to be 'medium-sized' ships, although compared to some of the behemoths on the seas, I can see why some would call them small. These two are my favorite Princess ships.

For me, my definition of small is 50,000 tons and under. There are those who love the intimacy of the R-class ships. I just feel trapped on these.

The "small ships" are the Pacific Princess and Ocean Princess. They are generally what I take. I am taking the Ruby in a few weeks because of the great FCC sale, and to get out of the DC-area winter.

We are sailing on a "small ship" for the first time next year. We are booked on the Island Princess in December 2014.

My wife has wanted to give small ship cruising a try for a long time. After reading this thread and so many positive comments, I am beginning to look forward to the small ship experience.

We were on the Island for an Alaskan cruise and I found it the ideal size. I certainly wouldn't classify it as small, maybe mid-size. I believe you'll enjoy being aboard. Enjoy the cruise. :)

Edited by ChuckinSC

We were on the Island for an Alaskan cruise and I found it the ideal size. I certainly wouldn't classify it as small, maybe mid-size. I believe you'll enjoy being aboard. Enjoy the cruise. :)
The Island Princess is definitely not a "small" ship as she's actually longer than the Grand-class ships. Just narrower to go through the Panama Canal. One reason why people like cruising on the Coral and Island is that they are just as large with most of the same features and amenities but with less than 2,000 passengers. It makes for a nicer cruising experience.

The Island Princess is definitely not a "small" ship as she's actually longer than the Grand-class ships. Just narrower to go through the Panama Canal. One reason why people like cruising on the Coral and Island is that they are just as large with most of the same features and amenities but with less than 2,000 passengers. It makes for a nicer cruising experience.

Yes, Pam is right. Of all the ships we have sailed (see list below), the Island and Coral are my favorites. BUT, they are not "small". We are booked on a small ship next year. We'll let you know.......

Agree, Pam. We loved the Royal before she was decommissioned. These tend t be pricier. We'll do more small ship cruising.

Hello Everyone,

I am really enjoying this thread. After reading your comments and comparisons, I'm even more excited about our upcoming cruise next December on the Island Princess.

It's been a number of years since we cruised on Princess. Quite frankly, I had forgotten there are two other ships even smaller than the IP.

When I think of small ships, not only do I think of the physical size but I also think of the passenger capacity. Compared to what we have experienced in the past, I'm sure we will really enjoy being on the IP.

Another attraction is the (often) minimal effect that a small ship has on the number of passengers ashore and crowding the attractions. 680 people aren't a problem most places. I recall last May, when I was on the Ocean, the Gothic Quarter of Barcelona was blissfully uncrowded, until the four large cruise ships in port with us got their passengers shuttled down.