Missives and Musing on the Nieuw Amsterdam - Dec. 1-8, 2013

Roz

I sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam from Ft. Lauderdale on a Western Caribbean itinerary - HMC, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Key West.

Overall the Nieuw Amsterdam is a beautiful ship. This was my first time sailing her. The layout reminds me of the Carnival Spirit.

We had to evacuate HMC early due to an impending storm. I spent an hour on the top deck of a tender trying to dock with the mother ship. I observed one lady with seasickness. I was surprised there weren’t more. Most people, including children, took it in stride. It was quite an adventure.

Food was good to great, with one exception – my beloved room service club sandwich. It was awful; so much so that I went to the front desk and asked for a comment card to convey my disgust. For those of you who have ordered it in the past, you wouldn’t recognize it.

I'm philosophically opposed to specialty restaurants, but tried Tamarind, and really enjoyed it.

I had a Neptune Suite. Very few suite passengers seemed use the Neptune or spend any time there. Dash in to get a few goodies and dash out, or ask something of the concierge. On previous cruises I got to know some of the other passengers while sitting there sipping coffee or enjoying an afternoon sweet. Breakfast in the Pinnacle is worth the price of a Neptune Suite IMO. It’s such a refined way to start the day. I met two couples that didn’t know it was a suite perk. They were doing the continental breakfast in the Neptune Lounge.

Entertainment was good. Standouts were the husband/wife Celtic duo, the comedian (can’t remember his name), and Adante (Avante?), a male singing quartet.

As a solo cruiser, I think I’m giving up on fixed seating dining. I ask for a table of 6-8, and no one or a few people show up. It makes for a lonely or limited dining experience. I’d rather do the free for all dining where I just show up and ask to be seated with others.

Questions?

Roz

Edited by Roz

Hi Roz, did you happen to check out the new guy in the piano bar? I know that Jimmy Maddox left after the previous cruise.

Thanks

Des

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Ahhhhh....Jimmy Maddox is awesome...we did the NA from 10/6 to 10/27 and were blessed with his presence in the Piano Bar.... Good for him....being able to go home for the holidays!

Edited by innlady1

I.E. -- the Club sandwich. The first time we ordered it -- about 10 years ago -- it was great. We tried it again about 4 or 5 years ago -- it was terrible. Wimpy lettuce, bacon that was barely cooked and cold, and un-ripened tomatoes. We never ordered it again. In fact, we don't even do room service any more.

We love the Tamarind as well.

...Very few suite passengers seemed use the Neptune or spend any time there. Dash in to get a few goodies and dash out, or ask something of the concierge.

I'm guilty of this. I don't want to hang out in a room without windows. I want to see and smell the ocean!

NA is one of the few HAL ships we haven't enjoyed yet, but we hope to try her one day. Glad you had such a great cruise.

We ordered the club sandwich on our last cruise, April 2013 Eurodam, (actually we order it every cruise with a glass of milk & the chocolate cake) and thought it was one of the best we'd had. Like many ameneties/foods, it seems to vary from ship to ship and even from cruise to cruise on the same ship. Wish HAL could address this by imposing fleet-wide standards, but suppose this is too much to ask in these days of constant cut-backs.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. Sounds like you had a good time :)

Don't give up on the club sandwich. Ours on the EE was just fine. I do think quality varies from ship to ship (and perchance from week to week).

Glad to hear you took the time to write out a comment card. If they don't know, they can't fix it.

Welcome home and thanks again:)

Thank you for your kind words and welcome backs.

Cruz chic, I didn't realize I inspired anyone (lol), but I was telling my sister this morning that I've made up my mind to go with open seating on future solo cruises.

As far as the club sandwich (I'm fixated on it! :D), when I ordered it on the Amsterdam and the Zuiderdam, it had slices of real turkey and ham, no cheese, bacon, nice slices of tomato and crisp lettuce. There was mayo on the side if you wanted extra. My sister is a restaurant owner, and was impressed with it, which takes a lot. She told me the classic club doesn't have cheese, and HAL got it right.

This time I got one thin slice of deli ham, one equally thin slice of deli turkey, a slice of cheap, ghastly American cheese, one anemic tomato slice, and a wilted iceberg lettuce leaf. Blech! The glass of milk was warm (another blech), but the apple tart was excellent.

Roz

This time I got one thin slice of deli ham, one equally thin slice of deli turkey, a slice of cheap, ghastly American cheese, one anemic tomato slice, and a wilted iceberg lettuce leaf. Blech! The glass of milk was warm (another blech), but the apple tart was excellent.

Roz

I couldn't believe it when I heard awhile back that HAL had started putting cheese on the their Club sandwich and still are calling it a "Club". Of course a Club sandwich doesn't have cheese. How can they screw up what used to be one of the best menu items on the ship?! :eek:

I sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam from Ft. Lauderdale on a Western Caribbean itinerary - HMC, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Key West.

Overall the Nieuw Amsterdam is a beautiful ship. This was my first time sailing her. The layout reminds me of the Carnival Spirit.

We had to evacuate HMC early due to an impending storm. I spent an hour on the top deck of a tender trying to dock with the mother ship. I observed one lady with seasickness. I was surprised there weren’t more. Most people, including children, took it in stride. It was quite an adventure.

Food was good to great, with one exception – my beloved room service club sandwich. It was awful; so much so that I went to the front desk and asked for a comment card to convey my disgust. For those of you who have ordered it in the past, you wouldn’t recognize it.

I'm philosophically opposed to specialty restaurants, but tried Tamarind, and really enjoyed it.

I had a Neptune Suite. Very few suite passengers seemed use the Neptune or spend any time there. Dash in to get a few goodies and dash out, or ask something of the concierge. On previous cruises I got to know some of the other passengers while sitting there sipping coffee or enjoying an afternoon sweet. Breakfast in the Pinnacle is worth the price of a Neptune Suite IMO. It’s such a refined way to start the day. I met two couples that didn’t know it was a suite perk. They were doing the continental breakfast in the Neptune Lounge.

Entertainment was good. Standouts were the husband/wife Celtic duo, the comedian (can’t remember his name), and Adante (Avante?), a male singing quartet.

As a solo cruiser, I think I’m giving up on fixed seating dining. I ask for a table of 6-8, and no one or a few people show up. It makes for a lonely or limited dining experience. I’d rather do the free for all dining where I just show up and ask to be seated with others.

Questions?

Roz

Cantare. We loved that quartet...I bought the CD and played it along with my Christmas music when I was trimming the tree this afternoon. They were simply awesome.

DW and I were on the NA in Nov. for 14 days, only ordered room service once, not that great, the meat in the Steak Sandwich is no longer steak, it was a stranger cut on beef that resembled shoe leather, and as others have said the Club was terrible.

Innlady,

Thank you for correcting my error. Duh! Cantare...that was the name of the quartet. They were excellent. I could tell the lead singer was trained in opera.

Roz