Reflection SPE Certified Menu

hokiecruisers

IN the MDR menu next to each item, is a small icon coding system telling you if it is SPE, Chef's recommendation, gluten free, vegetarian etc.

There isn't a full SPE menu, just certain items noted as SPE with the icon notation.

SPE certified items were on the MDR menu on the Century in September and October. I tried several items was generally satisfied. But at one dinner another table mate and I both tried one of the SPE desserts; while I was pleased she wasn't impressed at all. In all fairness, while I certainly love to eat I am not much of a fan of sweets, and I think that she didn't find the dessert sweet enough for her taste.

I tried most of the SPE certified dishes on our recent cruise onboard Reflection.

They were almost all outstanding, and some dishes had quite unusual ingredients, like the dessert based on olive oil, which was simply amazing.

SPE is a Belgian creation by the way, that originated at a restaurant, called Tomate Rouge, which has also a branch in New York.

I tried most of the SPE certified dishes on our recent cruise onboard Reflection.

They were almost all outstanding, and some dishes had quite unusual ingredients, like the dessert based on olive oil, which was simply amazing.

SPE is a Belgian creation by the way, that originated at a restaurant, called Tomate Rouge, which has also a branch in New York.

Thanks for the review of the SPE dishes. I am looking forward to trying some of them next month!!!

From the SPE website link posted above:

"We use proprietary methods to enhance the nutritional quality of meals and add healthy options to restaurant menus (and other foodservice establishments), without compromising on taste or diminishing the overall dining experience. Our hands-on process of recipe development means each chef's unique culinary vision is kept intact: we don't impose our recipes, but rather help to adapt your existing menu items to make them 'SPE-certified.'"

Proprietary methods -- in other words don't ask questions, just trust us.

Sorry, that doesn't work for me in 2014. Not after too many food (not to mention NSA) scandals.

Edited by jazzbeau

The SPE food website seems to make no attempt to explain their acronym, which along with "proprietary" makes me feel that this organization is hiding something. Googling SPE comes up with 25 references to SPE, the very last of which is "SPE Certified" (way below Stanford Prison Experiment and Society of Plastics Engineers), and a link that FINALY revealed that in SPE certified, SPE stands for “Sanitas per Escam” (Latin that in English means “Health Through Food”). For something this lacking in transparency my response is Caveat emptor.

Thom

SPE stands for “Sanitas per Escam” in Latin; its English translation is literally “Health Through Food.”

Under Philosophy of SPE, they extended the name to include three tenets:

Sourcing, Preparing and Enhancing

http://specertified.com/what/criteria

While I would applaud many of the sourcing and enhancing goals, preparation seems to include removing all saturated fats, which is based on flawed science.

Edited by Janet987

While I would applaud many of the sourcing and enhancing goals, preparation seems to include removing all saturated fats, which is based on flawed science.

Agreed.

Oddly, well at least in terms of conventional wisdom, saturated fats don't deserve the bad rap they've come to be associated with. Question "authority"... especially when authority has a profit motive.

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

SPE stands for “Sanitas per Escam” in Latin; its English translation is literally “Health Through Food.”

Under Philosophy of SPE, they extended the name to include three tenets:

Sourcing, Preparing and Enhancing

http://specertified.com/what/criteria

On the Reflection, I had a SPE duck entree that still had the skin on it. I have to believe that because of the skin there was saturated fat in the dish.

On the Reflection, I had a SPE duck entree that still had the skin on it. I have to believe that because of the skin there was saturated fat in the dish.

I think that their goal is, when using added fats, to rely on what's believed (by conventional wisdom) to be "healthier" fats.

Tom

Well, at least they do not use hormone and antibiotic enhanced meat, which is standard in the US and many other countries...propriety does not always mean "hidden as we have some terrible secret"...:rolleyes:

I wouldn't count on this. I would love to see a statement from Celebrity that this is true....but I suspect they just buy the least expensive meat qualities they can get away with....as do most of the mass market cruise lines.

As far as the SPE quality...no one has commented on the aqua spa cafe with it's new SPE offerings. They are pretty tasteless...some of the "wait 15 minute" items are ridiculous (deviled eggs, pork rolls that aren't rolls). SPE has pretty much ruined the aqua spa cafe IMHO and more than likely cut the cost to Celebrity which of course is likely why they did it in the first place...as a cover for a financial decision.

I wouldn't count on this. I would love to see a statement from Celebrity that this is true....but I suspect they just buy the least expensive meat qualities they can get away with....as do most of the mass market cruise lines.

As far as the SPE quality...no one has commented on the aqua spa cafe with it's new SPE offerings. They are pretty tasteless...some of the "wait 15 minute" items are ridiculous (deviled eggs, pork rolls that aren't rolls). SPE has pretty much ruined the aqua spa cafe IMHO and more than likely cut the cost to Celebrity which of course is likely why they did it in the first place...as a cover for a financial decision.

I actually really liked the new SPE offerings on Summit, especially the mushroom quiche, the cold chicken salad, and the yogurt parfaits. I thought the variety was really nice. As long as they don't take away the breadsticks, I'm good!