MS Westerdam Sail-Away-Dec 21, 2013

aliaschief

Holy Cow!!! All those big cruise ships down by the knuckle (the protruding part between Pier 21 and 25) make the Port look really really crowded today. I know there are 6 ships in, but normally does not look this crowded........

Will do my best to be here today, and Innlady Thank you on the Key Wests heads up:)

Joanie

On the tail end of yesterday's sail-away there were post stating I was on a cruise. Unfortunately, that's not true and our next cruise is not till Aug. 2014.:(

Chief,

If you are talking about this post, I meant you would be on a cruise when we sail on April 11, 2015.

I will be here for sailaway this afternoon.

Edited by Scrapnana

While refreshing my Port Everglades screen a few moments ago I saw an old world type sailing vessel heading out to sea from Web Cam 1. Clicked on same vessels name and saw it was Nao Victoria. So did a search and WOW!!!

(Keep in mind while I was researching, I could hear something almost major happening in the Port area (Basin))......BUT did not really pay to much heed UNTIL I hear the Pilot on a BIG Cargo Ship's voice sounding almost panicky:eek:, AND THEY NEVER Panic!!

More on that after I pass on the awesome info about this Beautiful REPLICA of Fedinand Magellan's ship, the same one that was the first ship to circumnavigate the world!!!

I'm leaving everything in tact as found on WikiPedia except for links contained in the 2 paragraphs that I copied and pasted below.

Nao Victoria http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_(ship)

Victoria (or Nao Victoria, as well as Vittoria) was a Spanish carrack and the first ship to successfully circumnavigate the world. The Victoria was part of a Spanish expedition commanded by the Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan, and after his demise during the voyage, by Juan Sebastián Elcano. The expedition began with five ships but the Victoria was the only ship to complete the voyage. Magellan was killed in the Philippines. This ship, along with the four others, was given to Magellan by King Charles I of Spain. Victoria was named after the church of Santa Maria de la Victoria de Triana, where Magellan took an oath of allegiance to Charles V in order to be granted full access to the Spice Islands.[citation needed] Victoria was an 85 ton ship with a crew of 42.

The four other ships were Trinidad (110 tons, crew 55), San Antonio (120 tons, crew 60), Concepcion (90 tons, crew 45), and Santiago (75 tons, crew 32). Trinidad, Magellan's flagship, Concepcion, and Santiago were wrecked or scuttled; San Antonio deserted the expedition before the Straits of Magellan and returned to Europe on her own.

The voyage started with a crew of about 265 men aboard five ships. Of all these, only 18 men returned alive on the Victoria. Many of the men died of malnutrition. Beginning the voyage, Luis De Mendoza was her captain. On April 2, 1520, after establishing a settlement they called Puerto San Julian, in Patagonia a mutiny involving the captains broke out, but it was unsuccessful. Antonio Pigafetta's and other reports state that Luis de Mendoza was then executed along with Gaspar Quesada, captain of the Concepcion.[2] Juan de Cartagena, captain of San Antonio was marooned on the coast. Duarte Barbosa, who had helped Magellan in facing the riot, then became the captain of "Victoria." According to Pigafetta, after Magellan's death on April 27, 1521, at the Battle of Mactan, remnants of the fleet tried to retrieve Magellan's body without success. Thereafter, Duarte Barbosa and João Serrão were elected leaders of the expedition. On May 1, 1521 they were invited by rajah Humabon of Cebu, of the Philippines to a banquet ashore to receive a gift for the king of Spain. There most were killed or poisoned, including Duarte Barbosa and João Serrão, who was brought by natives who wanted to exchange him for weapons, but was left behind. Pilot João Carvalho, who had survived the trap, then became the captain of "Victoria." In August, near Borneo he was deposed and Juan Sebastián Elcano became captain for the remainder of the expedition.

You know, I think it is awesome to be able to see and learn something everyday, thanks to Lou and Dave, but to also learn history and to see the ships such as Nao Victoria is just priceless to me:)

Now back to the Panicked Harbor Pilot onboard the Cargo ship that was already almost past Lou's Condo.........

Seems that the poor Nao Victoria was having some sort of problem(s) that was causing her to head straight for the rocks at the end of the Jetty:eek: I have no idea how they did it, but 2 Tugs were able to Brake the Cargo ship in time to avoid a collision with the replica ship, which was another sight that was priceless to me.

As the brakes were being applied to the cargo ship, the call went out as an emergency to Sea Tow for 2 Tow Boats immediately for the replica which was almost on the rocks and now blocking any entry or exit from Port Everglades.

Good news is that a foundering on the rocks of the jetty was avoided, replica was able to get back to Port Everglades, cargo ship was able to continue on to his next port of call and the Pilot on board the cargo ship sounded almost relieved and relaxed once he was able to speak again:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Thanks Chief - hope to be here as long as we have power.

Not nice hear today - snowy, sleety and freezing rain. The worry is if the currents move up it could turn into a huge ice storm. We don't need another one of those - that's for sure:(

I'm here now - looks like I missed all the excitement! I do hope the Westie leaves on time today, as DH wants to go to a neighbour's mulled wine party this afternoon. That stuff is so vicious, I would really rather stay home and sober, but at least it's only a few houses away, so no driving involved.

PS I only have a black screen for Camera #1 - anyone else?