Why do I get sick on all of my cruises?

flatman

I've been on 7 cruises and I've gotten sick on all of them about 4 days into them. Statistically that's almost impossible. Severe nausea and dry vomiting. I've ruled out seasickness and alcohol as the problem. I'm wondering if the climate change has something to do with it, yet I don't get sick when it's extremely hot at home in Iowa, or Florida. Only in the Caribbean. My wife is threatening to just stop cruising if I'm going to be sick for the last 2 or 3 days of every cruise. Anyone else have this problem or know what to do about it?

Cannot be food poisoning - this would be accompanied by diarreah, right?

Allergy may take up to 48 hours to develop - you said about day 4 into cruise? Are you doing anything different on day 2? Using their shampoo? Towels? May be allergy. If you are allergic to something, you better know it!

Am wondering how you "ruled out seasickness" as the problem. If your symptoms do not include any diarrhea then motion sickness sure seems to be a prime contender. You did not mention if you take any special meds while on the ship, but lacking any other issue one might want to try Meclizine Hcl (over the counter it is Bonine) which is pretty effective at preventing (and helping) seasickness and other inner ear issues. DW, who does have some inner ear problems, will start taking Bonine the night before she gets on a ship and then continue for a few days. But this is all something you need to discuss with your own family physician.

And by the way, some folks will actually not get seasick until they get off the ship at a port. This is called Mal de Debarquement Syndrome and its a well documented issue with some cruisers. So if your hubby feels fine, then the symptoms start the first time he gets off the ship at a port, this is also a possibility. Again, Meclizine (Bonine) is a reasonable solution. DW never leaves home without having some Bonine in her purse :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

How do you know this isn't motion sickness? Since it only happens on a cruise, that would be my guess! Why do you believe it not to be motion related?

I have to agree. It sure does sound like mal de mer.

Maybe it's the thought of having to leave the ship and return to the 'real' world in a couple of days? J/K

Hope you find the cause so you can enjoy the entire cruise.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 5C using Forums mobile app.

dehydration? Remember to DRINK --- WATER

Body not dealing with substantially more food or richer food than normal?

rather than de-stressing ... you are over-stressing?

Are you doing 'too much' as compared to your normal activity levels????

Getting enuf sleep b4 you crash?

Edited by Capt_BJ

Are you eating in the buffet? I avoid them since they are a great source of spreading germs on a ship.

And so are the cabins and any serface in them, handrails, elevator buttons, doors anywhere, the arms on chairs everywhere, and on and on. Unless you wear gloves, it's all but impossible to avoid toughing a place where one could pick up noro.;)

The last cruise we made the mistake of eating in one a few times and that's the year we got noro, never again.

More likely just bad luck. The best you can do is wash your hands with soap and water and avoid touching your face.

How do you know this isn't motion sickness? Since it only happens on a cruise, that would be my guess! Why do you believe it not to be motion related?

I owned and operated a saltwater marina in South Carolina for many years and also went commercial fishing in the winter months and never ever got sick. Those who did get sick usually got that way right after not being able to see land anymore, and I do take Dramamine as well as other motion sickness pills. I believe I would get seasick before 4 days out. Thanks for answering tho. I too believed it was motion sickness at first, but I may be wrong by ruling it out.

I don't find it odd at all, my dh always ends up with an ear infection when we do a beach vacation, that includes renting a shore house OR taking a Caribbean cruise.

He ends up with water in his ear from swimming - he refuses to wear earplugs, then ends up with an infection. I think we've been to every Minute Clinic on the Jersey shore and every infirmary on our cruises. :eek:

I know after a few days of rich food, I start feeling 'bleh' so I make sure I stick to my normal oatmeal for breakfast & salad for lunch to help offset the richer dinner. Also heat really affects me, so I don't sit in the sun or stay out by the pool if I do I am sicker than a dog.

I want to thank everybody for replying and I will consult my doctor about allergies and seasickness, and I will make sure to drink lots of water this time, and use my own soap and shampoo. It's going to be hard to NOT do more on the ship than I normally do at home, and to get plenty of sleep. I wake up with the sun on a cruise, which is totally different than noon at home. I would think if it were allergies I would still be sick the day we get off but usually it's gone by then. I am very active on all roll calls and nobody else gets sick but me. I would think food poisoning would affect more than just myself. I don't know of anything I'm allergic to. Can my family doctor do some kind of testing for this? I will be sure to ask her that question. Again thanks for your replies and I'm not against trying anything.

Jim

Does anyone know much about heat poisoning? I got very sunburnt in Florida the year before we started cruising and my mother told me I would always get sick from the sun and heat from then on. Trouble with that is I don't get sick in the states from the sun or heat.

Jim

Does anyone know much about heat poisoning? I got very sunburnt in Florida the year before we started cruising and my mother told me I would always get sick from the sun and heat from then on. Trouble with that is I don't get sick in the states from the sun or heat.

Jim

I don't know about the getting sick from then on, but I can't discount a "mom saying." :)

But I can say that when your on vacation the heat/sun rays are different due to the latitude. If you live in Iowa, Florida & the Caribbean are further south so the heat will affect you differently. There's also the humidity to consider, not sure how humid Iowa gets. I almost suspect that the heat/humidity in addition to what you said in your pervious post about not getting enough rest could be contributing to your problem.

For example when I first moved to Houston from NY, the first year or so of going to the beach affected me more/differently then it did after I lived there for awhile and got acclimated to the climate.

and I do take Dramamine as well as other motion sickness pills. I believe I would get seasick before 4 days out.

Try taking the same things for a few days while not on a cruise. I have a friend that gets sick on Dramamine, but only after taking for about 3 days and building up in his system. He switched to ginger, and didn't get sick, or seasick.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 5C using Forums mobile app.

I've been on 7 cruises and I've gotten sick on all of them about 4 days into them. Statistically that's almost impossible. Severe nausea and dry vomiting. I've ruled out seasickness and alcohol as the problem. I'm wondering if the climate change has something to do with it, yet I don't get sick when it's extremely hot at home in Iowa, or Florida. Only in the Caribbean. My wife is threatening to just stop cruising if I'm going to be sick for the last 2 or 3 days of every cruise. Anyone else have this problem or know what to do about it?

Not sure why you get sick....... but I understand and sympathize with you. I love cruising but always bring home a "souvenir rash". Not sure why, but I'm 12 for 12 :confused: The rashes range from minor to severe enough to have to have steroidal shots and/or creams. I've tried all types of preventive measures.

They are a pain, literally, but I've got cruising fever and can't help myself. :)

Jim

When I was about 10 or 11 years old, I did get a pretty bad sunburn, and experienced sunburn poisoning. Thankfully, it only lasted for a few days. I think the illness is a result of dehydration (think about what happens to meat when it's under a heat lamp in a buffet for a while). You say you don't get sick from the sun or heat when you're on land. The sun's effects are doubled when you're in or near water. Not only are you exposed to the sun's rays from overhead, you're also exposed to the sun's rays being reflected off of the water. Using sun block with a high SPF will help a lot. And drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration.

Since it looks like all your cruises have been on Carnival, I'm wondering if it is something environmental, specific to Carnival. Things like what they use to clean with, maybe a scent they put in the air (a big thing to me at many hotels). It can take a few days for your body to react badly to them…

Try taking a cruise on another line - see what happens. I'm curious from a purely sociological view ;)