Tips - When and how much?

TowandaUK

I leave the auto tip intact and have met my obligation. Room service is included in the tipping pool and bar service adds 15% to all beverages bought through them. Only if something is over the top do I tip extra. Excellent service is expected on a cruise, it's not over the top. People are afraid to state what I just did because you need a flame retardant suit. The minority who post on these boards would have you believe tipping more and constantly to everyone who so much as says hello is normal is anything but normal. Most people don't carry purses or wallets while on board, they are tucked in the room safe.

I totally agree.

I've never cruised before, but we've traveled for years and have done many excursions with a guide. We always have tipped 10-15% per person. That usually ends up being about $20 per couple at the end of the excursion unless we were very unsatisfied. Among friends and family that sometimes go with us, that seems to be the norm as well.

For our first cruise, we are doing the auto-gratuities, then we are planning to bring enough $1's for porters (about $1-2 per bag) and a few room service deliveries ($2-5 each depending on what we order), and $20 extra for our steward assuming we are satisfied at the end of the cruise. I'm not sure if we'll do anything else yet as we don't plan on asking for any kind of extra service?

The thing I cringe at is when I see this on the first day. It is the gentleman who goes around giving out bills and with a slap on the back (and a voice loud enough for all to hear), and says "there is more where that came from if you take better care of me". Now that is really gauche if you ask me.

I call that a bribe. I agree, I hate seeing this. How can it be a tip when no service has been completed yet!!

At the start of our trip, we introduce ourselves to our cabin attendant. We ask for extra towels, ice in the afternoon and tip the attendant then on top of the pre paid gratuities.

In the dinning room we also will tip above the pre-paid amount at the end of the cruise.

Staff that works hard and makes my vacation more enjoyable deserve to be acknowledged.

Is that each? If not how do you split it?

We tip when we're leaving the happy hour.

Basically it was about $50 from each of us. We'd put it in an envelope(they have them at the purser's desk)So combined the Waiter,Butler(on one cruise),Steward each got $100. We always had outstanding service. If service was "lousy", then I'd just do only the auto gratuity. So far in 7 trips that's not happened.

I've never cruised before, but we've traveled for years and have done many excursions with a guide. We always have tipped 10-15% per person. That usually ends up being about $20 per couple at the end of the excursion unless we were very unsatisfied. Among friends and family that sometimes go with us, that seems to be the norm as well.

For our first cruise, we are doing the auto-gratuities, then we are planning to bring enough $1's for porters (about $1-2 per bag) and a few room service deliveries ($2-5 each depending on what we order), and $20 extra for our steward assuming we are satisfied at the end of the cruise. I'm not sure if we'll do anything else yet as we don't plan on asking for any kind of extra service?

I think what you are going to do is spot on.

Have a great first cruise!

At the start of our trip, we introduce ourselves to our cabin attendant. We ask for extra towels, ice in the afternoon and tip the attendant then on top of the pre paid gratuities.

In the dinning room we also will tip above the pre-paid amount at the end of the cruise.

Staff that works hard and makes my vacation more enjoyable deserve to be acknowledged.

Absolutely!!! We tip $20, upon arrival in our stateroom, for our room attendant and assistant for ice in the pm, particular pm snacks, etc. It works every time!!! If you have problems with the bed or pillows, they will fix it immediately!!! They are worth it!!! Tipping is very important!!

Absolutely!!! We tip $20, upon arrival in our stateroom, for our room attendant and assistant for ice in the pm, particular pm snacks, etc. It works every time!!! If you have problems with the bed or pillows, they will fix it immediately!!! They are worth it!!! Tipping is very important!!

I've always had fantastic service and any problems have been fixed immediately and I only tip at the end.

I get that kind of service without bribing the room attendants at the beginning.

Thanks all for your help. I've got a much clearer idea of how it all works now.

It is no clearer to me!

I have pre-paid my gratuities for my forthcoming January cruise. According to Celebrity that should cover all stateroom and dining services. This is what the relevant page quotes:

"But why not consider pre-paying all your gratuities before you set sail? Then you can relax knowing that everything has been taken care of, and it qualifies you for our new Celebrity Select Dining (subject to availability).Eat whenever the main restaurant is open, or make reservations for a different time each night before you sail – the ultimate in dining flexibility.

These service gratuities are based on the following recommended amounts:

An approximate daily total of $11.50 per guest ($12.00 for Concierge Class and Aquaclass guests and $15.00 for suite guests) per cruise day, will cover the stateroom and dining room service for adults and children. "

I assumed that the only other requirement would be for bought-in services such as spa treatments and excursions. I can see nowhere explaining room service. My understanding was that the prepaid gratuities will be shared amongst all staff, including buffet stewards, waitstaff throughout the ship and housekeeping throughout.

The more I read on this subject the more confused I get. I found a couple of other threads on the subject and they are as confusing and inconclusive. Receiving assistance or a service outside that generally expected or covered is when I thought I should tip over and above those already pre-paid.

Help.

It is no clearer to me!

I have pre-paid my gratuities for my forthcoming January cruise. According to Celebrity that should cover all stateroom and dining services. This is what the relevant page quotes:

"But why not consider pre-paying all your gratuities before you set sail? Then you can relax knowing that everything has been taken care of, and it qualifies you for our new Celebrity Select Dining (subject to availability).Eat whenever the main restaurant is open, or make reservations for a different time each night before you sail – the ultimate in dining flexibility.

An approximate daily total of $11.50 per guest ($12.00 for Concierge Class and Aquaclass guests and $15.00 for suite guests) per cruise day, will cover the stateroom and dining room service for adults and children. "

I assumed that the only other requirement would be for bought-in services such as spa treatments and excursions. I can see nowhere explaining room service. My understanding was that the prepaid gratuities will be shared amongst all staff, including buffet stewards, waitstaff throughout the ship and housekeeping throughout.

The more I read on this subject the more confused I get. I found a couple of other threads on the subject and they are as confusing and inconclusive. Receiving assistance or a service outside that generally expected or covered is when I thought I should tip over and above those already pre-paid.

Help.

You have tipped everyone on board , it's quite clear. Only extra services like the Spa would require more tipping. Room service is included in the tipping pool so no need to double tip.

I always think of the auto tipping charges as minimum wage for the staff that get them. They are paid a minimum amount by the cruise lines to begin with and then supplemented with the auto tipping amounts (I think). Unless the cruise lines take the money and then decide who gets what after taking their cut. Does anyone know if this is true, I have heard and read this on these sites.

I tend to tip a bit depending on how I am treated by the service/personel I encounter.

I have found that if I am relaxing in the sun on a deck and the wait staff get a cash tip of a few dollars on the first drink they serve you, they tend to pay more attention to you later.

If I have a butler and he has an assistant then I tip them at the end of the cruise, if I have had them do special things for my time on the cruise. Such as serve a full dinner in my cabin. Bring special items to the room, or they are good enough to look at our profiles and figure out what we like or have liked in the past and have the room set up as we liked it on past cruises. (King size feather pillows get you a tip in the end). I have had small parties in my suite in the past and made sure I tipped the butler and assistant for those also. If the cruise is more than 7 days, I tend to do two tippings, one part way thru the cruise so the butler and assistant know I appreciate their help and so they have some cash to spend on their day's off the ship. I do hope they don't have to turn in all the cash they get each time to their supervisors to be spread out to all the other staff.

On a trip to Hawaii our butler did not get to be off on any of the Islands so I also got them a macadamia nut candy box set to have also at the end of the cruise.

I also write a thank you note for all their help.

The tipping of the wait staff is all muddled up now. With the alternative dining venues you don't go to the MDR all nights. So at the end of the cruise I figure how many nights I ate in the MDR and give a small amount for each night I was there (maybe 5 dollars a night for the waiter and 3-4 dollars a night for the assistant waiter). I tend to avoid the matre D for some reason. But usually give them an envelope with 10 or 15 dollars in it if they are attentive to our table.

I am never sure what to do with the alternative dining staff (waiter and Matre D.). Usually I just put some case in the bill at the end.

The drink waiter gets their tip each time we use them. So usually no envelope at the end of the trip but maybe a few extra dollars on the last charge.

It is no clearer to me!

Help.

The problem is that you (and I) come from a culture where tipping is still considered just that - a reward for good service. The majority of the folk posting here are from North America where tipping is almost mandatory. Just try leaving a restaurant without tipping. Even if the service has been poor, they still expect a tip. In my previous post on this thread I stated that we always pre-pay the tips and that is all you need to do. We choose to tip extra when we feel the service has been exceptional but that does not mean that YOU have to. The amount you have paid upfront covers you for your standard tips.

Celebrity's policy is very clear. Your prepaid gratuities cover all required tips. You do not need to pay a cent more. Cruiseships are multicultural environments and customers who come from cultures where tipping is not common should not be made to feel guilty for not tipping extra. Prepaid gratuities are supposed to ensure that the crew are paid a decent wage whether the passengers tip extra or not.

You can argue ad nauseam about this but Celebrity's policy is clear. Whether or not you tip extra is totally up to you.

Thanks Sandancer & gek.

I know it'll take some getting used to, with the fact that my gratuities are pre-paid, and I'm not required to toss bucks around every drink and meal.

As an American with over a decade in the service industry, I'm ALL about tipping. It is totally habitual for a lot of us (Gringos). :cool:

Since you pay for grats on a daily basis, it is up to the individual. I normally tip out servers, bartenders and room steward. When I get room service, I tip out a few dollars. Being from the hospitality industry, I tend to offer a little more because I know how small their paychecks might be.

On the last cruise the steward wasn't the nicest so I didn't tip as much as I normally do. The MDR servers were excellent and very accommodating. Yes, they received a decent grat.

Tipping culture on a cruise ship isn't like tipping anywhere else. It's confusing to Americans as well.

First, your prepaid gratuities cover the room stewards and the dining room staff. Most people will not tip any extra at all. If you feel like you received exceptional service a little extra at the end of the cruise is nice but not expected. [what many don't realize is that the tips are pooled. Your tips are also used to compensate those that serve you outside the MDR]

Second, there are tips added to bar drinks as well. If you purchased a drinks package, you prepaid these tips as well and you don't need to add anything more. Most often, you won't even get the opportunity as you won't even get the slip. If you aren't on a package, a tip is expected with each drink. It's been several cruises since we did not get the package, but as I recall, they actually add the gratuity in a separate line on the charge slip at a rate of 15% (the expected amount) and then there is a second line for an additional gratuity, which is not expected and that most don't add. In any event, look at the slip and it will be clear. If you aren't sure, ask.

Third, there are a few places where a tip might also be expected but to give you some additional guidance, I'll also give you my guess about what percentage of Americans would tip in this situation. For example, spa treatments (10-15% tip, 70% or more will tip), port porter ($2 a bag, but I always give 'em at least a total of $10; close to 100% tip in this situation as we're all afraid of what they'll do if we don't ;)), tour guide (a few $$ - I'm with a family of 4 and for a bus tour I'll give $20. For a private tour, I'm in the 10-20% of the bill group. On a bus tour, less than 50% tip in this situation), and room service ($1-$2, most Americans tip here. But you don't tip if it is your room steward or assistant that has brought it as you've already tipped them, though if they do this frequently, we will add to their tip at the end)

Finally, I don't mind asking when I am booking a tour, etc., whether a gratuity is included or expected and what is customary. Do I always get honest answers? Maybe not, but I've got a decent BS detector.

Thanks BK for a concise summary. CC should post your response in a FAQ section. Since you are now my expert on tipping, what do you do in Specialty Restaurants and do you reduce your MDR tips if you use the Specialty Dining?