What do you tip your cabin steward?

lbt43

I gave our steward $20. I figured that if I were in a hotel, I'd leave $2 a day for housekeeping, and then rounded up. No idea what the etiquette is. FYI, your DSC is supposed to serve to support most (not all) of the staff wages, including room stewards. Anything extra to anyone is totally up to you.

You will be charged an automatic gratuity per day to cover all the service people except the bar. The bar will add 15% to any beverage all beverages even non alcoholic. it's $12 per person per day. The cruise line has it all figured out so you don't have to reinvent the wheel. Just leave your gratuity intact on your account and you can relax, you've tipped enough.

We gave our steward $50 for a 14-day cruise. He was the only staff member that did anything special for us as we are non-demanding customers. I happy to see that $25/week is in the same range as others, though.

I had figured that we would distribute up to the difference between NCL's $12/day and the $15/day HAL 'charged' on our last cruise with them. But we really didn't ask anyone for much -- extra ice and creamers from the steward was about it. Anything else I might have needed, he anticipated, but that's good service on his part!

We normally leave $20 and in the case of really outstanding service we will leave a little more. On the cruise we just finished we left $35 because it was an 11 day cruise. It is true, no one needs to feel the need to leave extra, but we just always have. I will add, we have always had great service, with one exception. That time I don't think we left anything except the $12 a day. We also informed housekeeping management about our poor or barely min service.

We normally leave $20 and in the case of really outstanding service we will leave a little more. On the cruise we just finished we left $35 because it was an 11 day cruise. It is true, no one needs to feel the need to leave extra, but we just always have. I will add, we have always had great service, with one exception. That time I don't think we left anything except the $12 a day. We also informed housekeeping management about our poor or barely min service.

Only once have we done the DSC only and that was for one out of many who did not do as good a job as I expected. All others have gotten something...from $5 for meeting expectation on a short cruise to $20 for doing a favor for us.

Edited by HokiePoq

I usually always give a $20.00 bill when I first meet them. I ask them to please keep the ice coming. I don't expect much but I do expect them to keep the ice coming. If they do what I ask (keep the ice coming) they may get a extra bonus when I leave. If not, so be it. :p

We've left $20 for the room steward on our last few cruises and we intend to do it again on our cruise next week if he/she provides the usual excellent service we've come to expect. We also fill out Vacation Hero cards when someone goes "above and beyond" for us.

Following the phrase for which TIPS is an acronym (To Insure Proper Service), we have always tipped our cabin steward $20-30 at the very beginning of the cruise. As a result, we have always received exceptional service, with the stewards going out of their way to be helpful and adding thoughtful, extra touches.

It depends on the service we get. If it is not exceptional service, we generally do not tip extra (we always pay the auto gratuity). It also depends on if we make any additional requests for anything that normally would not be provided (our last cruise, I wanted a particular robe that was not sold in the shops. Our steward took care of it for me). We ended up giving $40 on our last cruise (11 days), usually for a 7 day if we tip extra, would give $20-$35 extra.

We have never had a cabin steward that was less than excellent. Each one of them have added immensely to our cruise enjoyment. We've see some of them repeatedly on other cruises. I've always left $30 to $40 for a 7 day cruise. I wait until the last night, leave it in an envelope containing a personal thank you message, and always have filled out a Style/Hero card for them. However, as others have said, none of that is required, or expected. It just makes us happy to do so.