Does anyone have any suggestions for this 1st time cruiser?

Don't try to do everything.

Have a good time.

Relax and enjoy!

Oh, and one more....

Be prepared to become addicted to cruising.:D

On Allure, first cruise ever, this may be the best advice you will ever get. I'd actually try to do less. Less is more, right? Don't exhaust yourself trying to do too much. We've heard people talk about this on every cruise we've been on, every time...as we sit in the hot tub having done almost nothing all day. We've seen people fall asleep at dinner after telling us how they got up at 6:00am, did everything they could possibly do, etc. On the Freedom and Oasis Class ships...there is no way you'll even see the whole ship during one cruise.

I would say just to go with it, it;s your vacation so if you want to do nothing but lay by the pool then fine and don't think you are missing out on something, it's very easy on a ship that size to not know what to do, thats what all your future cruises will be for ;)

I am going with my fiancé who has been on 18 cruises already and I have heard all his suggestions' date=' which were not bad, but I would not mind hearing from others...[/quote']

1, Bring Money!

2, Bring more Money!!

3, BRING LOT'S MORE MONEY!!!:D

4, Sign up for P.C.D. therapy (post cruise depression):(

Welcome to cruising and welcome to Cruise Critic!

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time no matter what you choose to do.

If a waiter seems to be offering you a free drink, ask to be sure that it is actually free (usually there is a charge).

We spend lots of time just walking around, watching the sea, participating in the activities that interest us, and just chilling. I usually get a book from the library, and my DH looks for fellow chess players. There is really something for everybody!

Enjoy!!

Free room service is a nice benefit for all, and a pleasant way to wake up. It's nice to get a plate of fresh sliced fruits, pastries, and coffee and a wake up call as a way to get read for the day. They have hot foods on the menu as well if that's your choice. Not something we do everyday but sometimes is a great change of pace that we certainly never have at home or in other travels.

Port Talks = a big live 30 minute infomercial type presentation on shopping in the ports at cruise ship affiliated luxury merchandise retailers. Useful if you're going for that sort of big ticket item, but do your research on prices first before traveling, and use a credit card that affords you protections in case you are encounter a dishonest seller. These talks, however, often do not have information on other types of excursions and almost never have true cultural talks. If that's your thing skip this.

Your stateroom attendant will exchange/replace items for you as part of their job, do not feel awkward to ask if you'd like additional toiletries, fresh glasses and ice to always be in the room, additional pillows, hangars, blanket, etc. If it is a reasonable request relating to things within your room, your attendant will gladly take care of it. There were days we left the room and it truly did not require any sprucing up or replenishment so we left the "do not disturb" card in the door so she could skip our cabin. Our last attendant would still leave notes with her direct number if we had changed our minds later to contact her for a room make up at our request. So I guess I am saying that on Royal you an expect to have very good and efficient service but they are not mind readers. Staff are friendly and love to interact so if you make reasonable requests of the correct staff members (per department) you should have favorable results.

Another suggestion is that if you have good rapport with your wait staff and really like them; ask if they have any recommendations or if there is a chef specialty off menu. If you are adventurous with foods you like you may find that a variety of ethnic foods may appear or that the chef will prepare something for you especially for the next day. Dinner portions are not huge and you will likely see more than one item you like; go ahead and order it. it is included and very common for people to order more than 1 dish.

Make photocopies of your important documents like license/passport and bring a copy with you.

Sunblock. Every cruise I see someone who has ruined their vacation before the ship even departs because they fried themselves in the sun. The sun is no joke. If you forget sunblock it can be found aboard in the general store but expect resort pricing.

If there are Love and Marriage, Quest, and Battle of the Sexes game shows they are great fun. Usually will be later at night for the second two. Check the cruise compass.

That's the most important thing I guess for a newbie; take a few minutes to read the cruise compass! It's not just a sales flyer or junk; it is the full rundown for everything going on that day and will include dining and entertainment information. Many newbies, in my experiences, never look at it and think they have to pay for lunch or pay for dinner or they don't know what's going on and just wander around, or have no clue about a certain area of the ship existing...

I like giant zip lock bags or clothes storage bags in luggage. Toiletries, clothes, separated. I bring extras for damp bathing suit, watershoes, etc. at the end of the cruise not to get mixed in with unworn clean clothes, etc.

Two bottles of 750ml Wine allowed per stateroom at embarkation port only. If you don't have a corkscrew your stateroom attendant will take care of it.

Really not joking about the sunblock.

I would say.....don't sweat the small stuff. Cruises, like other forms of vacations have glitches. It might be the weather, it might be rude people, it might be a delay in boarding the ship or slow dining room service. Just go with the flow.

I'd also say...put away your cell phone, don't connect to the internet and barely turn on your cabin TV. The world will still be there when you get back.

You can't do it all! Don't try. Relax and enjoy! You will feel overwhelmed. When you do, go and have a drink, a hot dog and a bag of chips. LOL! O, sorry that's what I did. ;) Pick one thing you want to do each day and then relax and enjoy the rest of the day. Take time each day to just roam around the ship.

You will love the Allure. After this cruise do not try and compare other ships to the Allure. They are two totally different ships in two totally different categories. I'm talking day and night; NYC and Dallas; apple and asparugus; Kmart and Nordstroms.

Possessions own you if you let them and on a cruise you don't want to spend all your time managing them. See how few things/clothes you can bring and keep a list of what you brought and never used/wore (for next time you cruise). Half the stuff and twice the money works best. My other tip is to tip generously. It feels so good to make your Stewards and Wait staff happy and to know you are helping them support their families so far away. Oh - and within reason, don't dicker at the flea markets. These vendors on the islands, by and large, really NEED the money. Don't make a game out of seeing how cheap you can be at the expense of their ability to provide themselves basic necessities. Off the soap box - sorry.

PACE yourself when you eat!! Being full when you sit down at dinner sucks! :D

This.

I often found I would skip lunch and just have small late morning and early afternoon snacks, because i ate a heavier breakfast than I'm used to.

And stick to the stairs as much as you can.

Edited by nolesrule

Make photocopies of your important documents like license/passport and bring a copy with you.

Better yet scan them and put on dropbox (or somesuch online storage) so you can access from any internet-connected computer. Copies can be lost as well.

Alternatively you can e-mail them to yourself, then you can access via your webmail.

We also keep the pdf on ipad incase we need to look up number real quick like passport number, can be easier than digging it out.

Also I keep similar docs with all reservations, etc.

Take time to read the "newsletter" that is left in your cabin each day, with the activities schedule for the next day. On a ship, unlike a land vacation, you and he can easily go do different things at the same time. Take the time to explore what you want to explore! You might even teach him a thing or two - even the most experienced cruiser hasn't seen-and-done-it-all. :)

This.

I often found I would skip lunch and just have small late morning and early afternoon snacks, because i ate a heavier breakfast than I'm used to.

And stick to the stairs as much as you can.

This is terrible advice, never ever skip a meal!!! ;)

Stair part is great, much much faster than elevator. I never use elevator on cruise.

Don't try to do everything.

Have a good time.

Relax and enjoy!

Oh, and one more....

Be prepared to become addicted to cruising.:D

Will have to agree 100% with this post. Have fun, relax, enjoy and DO NOT try to do everything. You will have many many more cruises to try the different activities etc.

If possible get to the port city a day ahead of the cruise. This way you take virtually all of the weather and mechanical issues out of the equation. In Europe get there 2 days ahead.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

I am going with my fiancé who has been on 18 cruises already and I have heard all his suggestions' date=' which were not bad, but I would not mind hearing from others...[/quote']

Skip Windjammers for breakfast, go to either Park Cafe or Johnny Rockets(breakfast is free). Embarkation lunch, I would either have a make your own pizza at Sorrento or have lunch at Park Cafe.

The Windjammers is far too small for this ship, it is crowded as all get out.

I will be sailing on the Allure the same week as you are and also the week prior. See you at the Meet & Mingle.

Stan:cool: