Cruising in/out of New York in the Snow

ibcnusoon

a snowy day on the ship is better then a snowy day on land!

I agree. Last year I sailed Enchantment OTS in January from Baltimore and Pride from Baltimore. On EOS we had a day like the one pictured but on both ships I enjoyed the covered pool decks the first and last day. To me it sure beats sitting in an airport wondering if my plane will be cancelled.

BTW, QM2 was not due in NY until this morning. They must have applied a little of her now rarely used speed to beat the storm to port.

4merlurker's Enchantment photo was from March. Mine is from late January.

winter.jpg?

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Not only is there a foot of snow in NY but it's freezing cold up here! For as much as I love cruising, I'm fine sitting this one out at home!

Could not agree MORE!!!!:D:D I am sitting here with 6" of fresh snow, and temperatures that are hovering around ZERO!!!! Not my idea of an enjoyable cruise. We are in Connecticut. This is why we only sail out of FL.:D Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Could not agree MORE!!!!:D:D I am sitting here with 6" of fresh snow, and temperatures that are hovering around ZERO!!!! Not my idea of an enjoyable cruise. We are in Connecticut. This is why we only sail out of FL.:D Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

As do we! I actually love this kind of weather. Just not on a cruise ship. Not willing to lose my first day to a foot of snow. Plus I would think going from frigid weather to hot island weather might make you sick. But hey, grab a shovel and enjoy your cruise!:p

In the Mighty Queen Mary 2's defense, here's a story about her from Cruise Critic:

Winter Storm 'Hercules' Delays Cunard Cruise Ship

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) (12:52 p.m. EST) -- A massive winter storm, which dumped anywhere from 3 to 21 inches of snow on states throughout the Northeast isn't just delaying air traffic: At least one cruise ship, Queen Mary 2, which was slated to turn around in New York City today, will be delayed by several hours.

"For all guests boarding Queen Mary 2 in New York today, we can confirm that she will not depart before midnight, as a result of the weather," Cunard Line tweeted.

According to Cunard spokeswoman Jackie Chase, the delay is intended to accommodate late-arriving passengers. Additionally, the line's customer service team is actively responding to and working with passengers whose flights have been delayed.

Boarding is not delayed and passengers may board this afternoon as the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is up and running and accessible by road.

Queen Mary 2 arrived last night into New York City, several hours ahead of schedule in order to avoid the worst part of the storm. The ship was scheduled to depart at 5 p.m. today for a six-night transatlantic sailing to Southampton/London.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5672

____

last nights tweet:

PTZtv @PTZtv

#QUEENMARY2 is inbound into #NYHarbor with tug assist due to bad #weather. Will be passing by http://NYHarborWebcam.com shortly.

-32 F in Victoriaville, Québec, that's f***** freezing cold. Carnival Victoy in 17 days, Nassau, Grant Turk and HMC !

We got a chance to move out of a similar climate a few years ago and jumped on it. I'm hoping you are a person who enjoys the winter season. Hope you have a great cruise on the Victory! You deserve some warmth and sunshine.