What do you read while you're cruising?

cruisentn

Hello Cruisentn,

Have you read anything by Harlan Coben?

Just discovered him two years ago, superb thriller writer with the most unbelievable story twists. My favorites are Promise Me, Hold Tight and Gone for Good.

Jonathan

Hey, I didn't know anything about him but will definatly check that out. I like what I see. He has made my Amazon wish list for when we return.

I like reading things that are current with where and what I'm doing if possible. For instance a nice, downright scary story for Halloween. Lights down, scary drama music on Pandora. LOL...

I'm going to find some cruise mystery while I'm actually ON the ship. But yea, I do like what I see about Coben.

Thanks bud,

Mark

I don't have a Kindle, so it's usually some light paperback (in more ways than one!) that I don't have to concentrate on. I save my meaty books for home!

That's me too - they have to be books that are easy reads and you don't have to remember too much because they're always being picked up & put down.

We're a Kindle couple.

Being an avid reader, and about to get another Joe Hill novel to read while we cruise, I changed my mind.

I've actually found some great cruise mysteries to read whilst roaming about the Caribbean.

"It was a dark and lonely night on the ship, I heard a bump on the deck above me... and then a scream...."

:D

My wife will be reading something like 'She had just arrived on a wagon train and she saw him, standing by his horse,

sweating like the horse...' or some silly western romance poo.

What do you read while you're cruising?

I would read what you do but....

I usually read the dinner menu, that's all.

this is usually what I end up reading too. made me laugh out loud

I did just read the Duck books too. just because someone on CC recommended them

I like to read light and fluffy on vacation, and not too engaging so that I can actually out the book down and do something else. I love to read, so if I'm reading a great book, I can't put it down and read it straight through in one sitting, which can be a long sitting. I read an awesome book on a flight to vegas, planned to read a couple chapters then sleep a bit. I got so into it that I couldn't stop, read it for the entire 6 hour flight, kept reading while my husband was getting our bags, and finished in the cab to the hotel. I can't get that into a book on a cruise or I wouldn't do the other things I want to do.

I read cheap novels :) Seriously - I currently have over 300 books on my Kindle that I have downloaded for free from Amazon. They definitely will not ever be listed in any top ten, top hundred or even top ten thousand literary pieces but they are entertaining. I pick two random numbers X and Y. I go into the index, count down X number of pages and then pick book Y. Have no idea what it will be until I start reading it. So far I haven't been too disappointed but then I don't have high standards :D

I read whatever takes my fancy on our bookshelf. Currently have over 100 books waiting to be read. Read everything from Horror, Sci-Fi, Thrillers, Action adventure, Fantasy & Autobiographies. Being from the UK, probably read more books by UK authors who you may not know or able to get in the States.

My current favourite UK authors are , Lee Child, Bernard Cornwell, Mark Billingham and Conn Iggulden.

A great site for book is http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk gives a brief synopsis of the book and also lists the order in which the author wrote which is great for series.

Edited by newport dave

I typically bring along magazines and then just give them to the flight attendants when I am finished. (They LOVE this, most of them are pretty voracious readers).

Last cruise I borrowed an autobiography that caught my eye from the ship's library, this time I think I am going to download the book written by the guy who is/was a dance host on Crystal for many years, as it seems like it could be a fun and light read. I will also bring along a couple of magazines for the times that I want to fall asleep reading. (I like to put my iPad someplace safe as opposed to on the bed where it could get broken if it falls off.)

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

My Kindle Fire is loaded with about 35 free books of mystery, action and si fi for our Jan 19 to the Panama Canal. Know that I will not get through all of them but the advantage of so manmy is if I start one that is a dud...only thing lost is a little of my time. Have run into some excellent reads on the Kindle Free list.

Thomas Mann "Der Zauberberg" (Magic Mountain).

The Holy Quoran.

Franz Kafka "Metamorphosis.

Robert Musil "Der Mann one Eigenschaften".

Nahhhhh.

Re-read every single Harry Potter.

Still p.... that Harry doesn't get together with Hermione!

:)

Fluffy, light reading.

If there happens to be a popular trilogy released that gets good reviews I'll read that (Divergent, Hunger Games, Twilight, etc) But I've already read those :D:D

So I'll hone in on some romance novel or whatever else is new and load up my kindle, ibooks apps with options. I'll prob bring American Gods by Neil Gaiman since I have that in paperback and won't be able to read it until summer due to school/fulltime work shenanigans.

I really like www.goodreads.com for recommendations.

I am a sucker for 18th century historical sailing novels - the Horatio Hornblower (CS Forrester)and Richard Bolitho series (Alexander Kent), and I just started the Kydd novels about the same period but from a lower-deck perspective.

From a modern day perspective the Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers series by John Sanford are excellent police novels.

I read back issues of Bon Appetit and Saveur magazine. I don't seem to have enough time to read them at home--and a lot of the time I don't get to read them while cruising, either. I made it through two issues on our cruise last month, but mostly that was reading while in the airport and on the plane.

I like writers like Robert O'Connell and Carl Hiaasen...something with some mystery and a lot of humor. O'Connell's Flash Mob was a great read, and it's available on Kindle.

Edited by ehfl

• 7 months later...
Last cruise -- took a few by Elmore Leonard -- great characters, easy reads and very entertaining. Recommend his short story collections and if you've watched the TV series Justified you'll enjoy even more. The other I took was David Sedaris - will not be to everyone's taste but it made me laugh out loud. Other good vacation reads for me would be a John Grisham - recommend the Litigators.

Not everyone's taste, David Sidaris...oh, he is great! What a laugh.

Another huge laugh worth getting is COOKING WITH FERNET BRANCA, an absolute riot by James Hamilton Patterson.

For gentler, wise humor, I must add anything by Alexander McCall Smith..I love the Scotland Street series, but also the Isabel Dalhousie series. My husband loves them, too, but take note, female readers.

My reading preferences are rather serious, I admit. Whilst on a Ship I love reading historical fiction that takes place in the locales we visit, ok, for example our book group on the Silhouette read The Leopard by Lampadusa just before our arrival in Sicily. We watched the film, too. It was great.